Hickey dominated Nic Nat

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Hickey dominated Nic Nat

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:48pm
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 3:31pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 3:05pm I'd suggest Hickey has had his card marked DCM and unless all other ruck options are injured and is unlikely to not play again this year if there is an option. Running off the ground as he did was career ending stuff if there needed any exclamation point. Someone in recruiting must surely be drawing up a short list to recruit a ruckman/person from as we speak. Amongst other attributes Tim simply does not have the temperament to be a ruckman/person in AFL, he gets too nervous and anxious and is indecisive when thinking is required, which I and many others do too of course but non of us would consider facing the pressure of an AFL game particularly as a ruckperson. Alpha males rule that world.
I feel a bit for the bloke. He had 3 score assists in the first five minutes, unfortunately not for the saints and seemed to drop his bundle. I tracked him on Saturday night and couldnt work out why he was ambling around in that first Qtr when the game was on. Anything after that didnt matter. On the other side of the equation, Webster and Gresham stood out when it mattered, but not many others gave a yelp.
If i were AR, i would use this opportunity to my advantage:
Send a message to the group, give Tom a kick in the pants by putting him back to Sandy and tell Billy here's your opportunity - dont stuff it up!
Start playing the big guys off against each other. Have a bad game, the other bloke comes in.
Blokes that wont chase and cant stick a tackle should be dropped - that's a demonstration of attitude more than talent.
Just have to win this week so need to include Billy, JB and Armo.
Whilst i think Armo is probably cooked, we could have done with his voice and leadership last week and he has racked up good numbers at Sandy.
Agree with some of this but don't think there is any more point bringing guys back in who when they were in the side last didn't make any difference anyway. No, I think a lot of the older guys need to be at Sandy helping out the new guys, and guys like Billings who has just been dropped need to play a few more games at Sandy to make sure they are ready. I'm not potting any of our players, but sorry, bringing back guys into the squad who turned the ball over time and again, or kicked out on the full consistently are better off at Sandy helping the young guys out. Joyce, Connellan, maybe Freezer in instead for mine. Carlisle and Goddard too. We need to make use of our experienced players a bit more strategically rather than expect them to be match winners for us when they have done their bit for the club.
And while I'm at it, Hickey was hung out to dry when the selection was made to only play one ruckman. I mean, come on! Blind Freddy could see what was going to happen. Way I see it, either leave Hickey in AND play Billy as well, which is what I've been saying all year, or play Longer AND Marshall. Marshall didn't get really get a fair go when he was dropped, for mine. I thought he was going alright. No more playing a lone ruckman because, as has been stated on here many times, by me included, we have a weakness in the ruck, despite having a plethora of ruckmen. If we had played Billy as well Saturday night he could've given Hickey a chop out and worked Sinclair over in the ruck duels, and put a bit of physical pressure on every time the ball was bounced or thrown in. Or Marshall could have at least offered a bit in the ruck and dropped back into defence. Anyway, just my take.
Yes to Carlisle, his inclusion a given. Billings only played at Sandy to get a confidence boost. If he can get between the ears sorted he is a very good player, his field kicking is elite and his goal kicking should be too. Armo is also a very good kick, normally, so not sure who you are referring to re: constantly turning the ball over.
I am all for giving the guys you mentioned an opportunity, just not this week. We simply have to go best 22 and have to win. Can you imagine the carnage if we lose!
Re: Hickey been hung out to dry there is no excuses for that first qtr, he simply didnt turn up until the second qtr when the game was iced.

I like the two ruckman idea, but for that to work, Hickey would need to go forward and we would need a tall to come out i.e. Battle. But based on the Swans game, he would be very stiff. Love to see Freezer get a game but its a little early. Connellan is the pick of the rest purely because he offers something we really lack - pure speed.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I did say that I don't want to pot any of our own players on a fan forum as quite frankly I like all the players who represent the Saints, but I will say that we seem to have a core of senior players who either kick the ball straight out on the full, or kick the ball lace out to defenders when kicking into our forward line, or bombing the ball high to two on ones regularly during matches. I'm not naming names. I just hope they stop doing it, but maybe they are losing faith themselves in the way the team is structured. I couldn't do any better, but they earn good money so they should improve their kicking - or their decision making.
I think we will beat Gold Coast anyway, and I would prefer we do it with some first gamers in the side. If we can't beat them after their last three games we're in real strife. The way the Sydney midfielders just waltzed into the forward line tells me we have sore, tired midfielders and they need 'managing'. This season is a development year now and to be honest, I am a bit over us recruiting Irish players and not playing them. It goes back to the days of Dermott McNichol in 1990 - why recruit them if we won't play them? Joyce, Connellan and Freeman in. Carlisle in. Goddard in (maybe). I'd like Billings to spend another week at Sandy to play against a more experienced team, and from what I've heard from people I respect, Bruce still looked a bit rusty so he can build in the reserves for another week too. Two ruckmen this week please. We don't need to drop Battle or McCartin. Battle plays every game for the rest of the year. Paddy plays every game for the rest of the year. AR needs to get the boys revved up for the first quarter this week. No more 8 or 9 goal headstarts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hey Stonecold, I told you Billy was a chance.

B: Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Hunter Clark, Jake Carlisle, Bailey Rice
C: Jack Newnes, Jack Steele, David Armitage
HF: Jack Sinclair, Paddy McCartin, Josh Battle
F: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Jack Billings
FOL: Billy Longer, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steven
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Daniel McKenzie, Logan Austin, Maverick Weller
E: Brandon White, Rowan Marshall, Ben Paton,Tom Hickey

IN: Jack Billings, Jake Carlisle, David Armitage, Billy Longer
OUT: Jack Lonie, Nick Coffield, Ed Phillips, Tom Hickey.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic.