Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

Con Gorozidis wrote:The whole Rockliff thing seems odd. Either there is more to it - or it just one of those vicious rumour things that has got out of hand.
I have NFI. But I guess we do have an 'insider' in Billy Longer... So maybe there is something in it. It seems odd than all 17 clubs are steering clear.
I mean I dont think we need him (Armo, Ross in that position already) but some clubs like the Crows, Pies, Blues or Tiges you would think would love to have him?
Agree. Absolutely bizarre that no club is offering up even a second round pick for a guy who produces elite stats year in year out. There has to be more to it. Any guy who could average 33 touches, 9 tackles and 7 clearances a game should have massive value at the trade table and Rockliff has zero.

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
doug booths dog wrote:Gone to Bali !! - whats Bali giving us in return ?
maybe Schapelle & Mercedes Corby ;)
:D :D
Not 2 d**khead drug pedallers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The whole Rockliff thing seems odd. Either there is more to it - or it just one of those vicious rumour things that has got out of hand.
I have NFI. But I guess we do have an 'insider' in Billy Longer... So maybe there is something in it. It seems odd than all 17 clubs are steering clear.
I mean I dont think we need him (Armo, Ross in that position already) but some clubs like the Crows, Pies, Blues or Tiges you would think would love to have him?
Agree. Absolutely bizarre that no club is offering up even a second round pick for a guy who produces elite stats year in year out. There has to be more to it. Any guy who could average 33 touches, 9 tackles and 7 clearances a game should have massive value at the trade table and Rockliff has zero.
Lovett

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Devilhead wrote:No d**khead policy and ........... we don't need him

I don't get this mentality... Andrew McQualter was a consummate professional. How did that help us in the 09 Grandfinal?

Pick 36, guaranteed straight inti the starting 18 getting 25+ possessions every week

If Rocky is so baaaad an influence that he can destabilise our entire club... than what we've built must be a house of cards

I get the culture thing but why not back ourselves to turn him around?
OK how about this then .............. We don't need him .................. We have others who can play his role

Would much prefer to spend the money we would pay him on another player

Interesting to note that not one other club has jumped at the chance to pick him up ........... says it all IMO
I don't know. We'll see if anybody takes him. Me i see opportunity to get him cheap, and to be frank he's pbly better right now then most of the players we have playing that same role.

There's such an opportunity here. I struggle to understand why ppl only see the negatives.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Just had a thought re rockcliffe
He may have been promised the captain position by Matthews and leppitsch in order to get him to stay last contract talks
And even if stripped of the captaincy I don't think he wanted to leave the Lions if given a good contract.

Up in brissy he is the big fish in a little pond hence the ego running riot
Maybe down at stkilda he would have to earn his place on the pecking order ladder
That may well keep his attitude in check

Seeya
The_President
Club Player

Our late pick to the Pies
Stevens to us
Cloke to the Dogs

asiu
Saintsational Legend

There's such an opportunity here. I struggle to understand why ppl only see the negatives.
me as well.

on a well defined short leash.
... the worst that can happen is he as to be sacked.

.... the best is a value 'n valued team member in our 2nd flag.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:
me as well.

on a well defined short leash.
... the worst that can happen is he as to be sacked.

.... the best is a value 'n valued team member in our 2nd flag.
The worst might be that he has to be sacked but, let's face it, this is a football mad town and would be seriously bad PR for us (about the only team that can't afford it).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Would love to get Kelly but don't think it'll happen this trade period that is for sure

Talk of a big fish is a bit late in the game this period I reckon

More likely our big fish may be somehow getting a first rounder this year whilst somehow holding on to our 2 first rounders next year! Now that would be a big fish!!

#1 Ryder fan
stevie
Saintsational Legend

doug booths dog wrote:Gone to Bali !! - whats Bali giving us in return ?
maybe Schapelle & Mercedes Corby ;)

The aqueduct?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

A "no d***heads" policy for a football club is one of the great oxymorons of our time.

Rocket
Club Player

What's next Saints? Need some speed ... I reckon we have one play left ? Classy, speedy wingman please

asiu
Saintsational Legend

depends how we play it JB

seriously bad PR for him !
... no one would touch him ... period.

We gave him his chance at redemption.
... wouldnt play by OUR rules ... so gawn.

wheres the screaming negative in that scenario ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe that people can't believe that no-one will touch Rockliff. Have you seen the price he has put on his head? It's outrageous and the bloke is either delusional or an egomaniac. His price is that of the VERY elite mids in the comp get. Everyone knows Rockliff is not that. Coupled with his dubious reputation as a big mouth and a trouble maker I reckon it's obvious why no-one wants him.

I'd be happy for the Saints to take him at around $450k, but $750-800k. He's taking the comp for fools.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Would love to get Kelly but don't think it'll happen this trade period that is for sure

More likely our big fish may be somehow getting a first rounder this year whilst somehow holding on to our 2 first rounders next year! Now that would be a big fish!!

Big fish are cheaper when they are out of contract.

Think on this: As it stands next draft we would have THREE first round picks that we could trade. Ours, Hawks and our 2018 pick. That is serious ammo to get one of the GWS guns (Kelly or Shiel) or even Fyfe. Those three picks could land us two very good players or may the one Fyfe.

However personally I am a bit gun shy on Fyfe as he would consume a huge % of our salary cap and look how the Swans have been haemorrhaging players due to Tippet and Buddy and with COLA now ending. That is also a lot of eggs in the one basket.

Imagine say landing Kelly and Dusty next year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Would love to get Kelly but don't think it'll happen this trade period that is for sure

Big fish are cheaper when they are out of contract.

Think on this: As it stands next draft we would have THREE first round picks that we could trade. Ours, Hawks and our 2018 pick. That is serious ammo to get one of the GWS guns (Kelly or Shiel) or even Fyfe. Those three picks could land us two very good players or may the one Fyfe.

However personally I am a bit gun shy on Fyfe as he would consume a huge % of our salary cap and look how the Swans have been haemorrhaging players due to Tippet and Buddy and with COLA now ending. That is also a lot of eggs in the one basket.

Imagine say landing Kelly and Dusty next year.
The article in todays Age indicates Hawthorn will be going hard for those two as well.
We are going to have a fair bit of opposition for the "big fish"

One year will be our year
The Recruit
Club Player

the hawks love to trade but have nothing to trade with....we are in the box seat for Kelly or Sheil....happy to take them this year or next...would be nice to have a WELCOME TOP STKILDA Graphic on the website though...fingers crossed...and there is heaps of time to land a big fish....feel like there will be some serious movement still to play out.

Kelly should be the man....realistic, a melb boy, young and gun.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Can't believe that people can't believe that no-one will touch Rockliff. Have you seen the price he has put on his head? It's outrageous and the bloke is either delusional or an egomaniac. His price is that of the VERY elite mids in the comp get. Everyone knows Rockliff is not that. Coupled with his dubious reputation as a big mouth and a trouble maker I reckon it's obvious why no-one wants him.

I'd be happy for the Saints to take him at around $450k, but $750-800k. He's taking the comp for fools.
He averages 30 touches, 7 tackles and a goal a game in a terrible side… which puts him in the top handful of mids in the comp, he is absolutely in the elite mids category, all australian, B&F's, captain.

I think we are absolutely guessing about his flogginess…

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lewis to the dees! YES, should help our pick next year… if we keep it.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Trading should speed up a bit now!!!!!

Expect a increase in trades now!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:Lewis to the dees! YES, should help our pick next year… if we keep it.
We are likely to be competing with Melbourne for a place in the 8 next year.
Getting Lewis will strengthen Melbourne and it remains to be seen if we can maintain our dominance over them.

One year will be our year
Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Moods wrote:Can't believe that people can't believe that no-one will touch Rockliff. Have you seen the price he has put on his head? It's outrageous and the bloke is either delusional or an egomaniac. His price is that of the VERY elite mids in the comp get. Everyone knows Rockliff is not that. Coupled with his dubious reputation as a big mouth and a trouble maker I reckon it's obvious why no-one wants him.

He averages 30 touches, 7 tackles and a goal a game in a terrible side… which puts him in the top handful of mids in the comp, he is absolutely in the elite mids category, all australian, B&F's, captain.

Not guessing at all. My brother is heavily involved in QLD footy and my nephew up there knows plenty of Lions players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
dragit wrote:

Not guessing at all. My brother is heavily involved in QLD footy and my nephew up there knows plenty of Lions players.
Alright… give us a spiel moods, what's he been up to?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:A "no d***heads" policy for a football club is one of the great oxymorons of our time.
Line of the Day.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Our late pick to the Pies
Stevens to us
Cloke to the Dogs

Seems like a good deal for all.