New saints to debut round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: New saints to debut round 1

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 11:56am
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 11:01am
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 7:57am
St Chris wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 12:22am Roberton is interesting.

On paper, he's one of the first picked, but after the best part of 2 years looking on, I think you want him to get a couple of competitive games under his belt first. I agree that there's one spot for him and Wilkie to share, and as things stand that spot is Wilkie's to lose.

My back 6 for Round one is:
Geary, Howard, Wilkie
Long, Carlisle, Savage

Clark starts on the bench, Coffield plays VFL as a mid and earns a spot there - he's no defender.

Don't know how to fit Battle in - he might get a spot on the pine as a general Mr Fit- It, but I don't like that as a long term development strategy...
Agree on Robbo, he'll need some time at Sandy, could be there for a month.

Also I agree on Dougal, he starts at Sandy and I think Battle plays back while the experiment for him to roam into the middle is on. Dougal can't go from being a fringe player over 5 seasons and spending the last 4 weeks of last season in the feeder team to an automatic selection at our club. There would be some disgrungtled players if that happens. Dougal needs a blinder against the Pies to convince me otherwise.
At least get your facts right SK on the fringe player quote.
He's not a Dean Kent who avearges about 8 games a season over 8 or 9 seasons.

He hasn't even been playing at the level for 5 yaers.
Debut 2016 - 6 games then suffered an ACL.
Came back at end 2017 and played 4 games.
20 games in 2018
First 15 games in a row in 2019 before something happened and he was dropped.

That's 35 games in a row in 18/19 including elevation to temporary captain before something caused him to lose favor.

My version of a fringe player is someone who is in and out of the team over a number of years as a senior player. Not a developing kid who suffered an early ACL.
45 games over 5 seasons = fringe player.
LOL, SK you are getting so desperate to support your position that you are making up your own version of the truth. That's another very Ted-like post from you.

Debuts and plays 6 games 2016 - ACL injury
Recovers to play the last 4 games in 2017
Plays 20 games in 2018
Plays first 15 games ion 2019 then gets dropped in strange circumstances and leaves the club.

I guess Max King is lucky you are not in list management at the Saints because he wouldn't even rate as a fringe player on your rankings.

Hate to break it to you but Howard will play round one as will Max barring mishap.
If they don't and you are correct that Max needs 1/2 a season at Sandy and Howard needs to work his way into the team I'm happy to gobble down some humble pie.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 2:09pm

On paper, he's one of the first picked, but after the best part of 2 years looking on, I think you want him to get a couple of competitive games under his belt first. I agree that there's one spot for him and Wilkie to share, and as things stand that spot is Wilkie's to lose.

Geary, Howard, Wilkie
Long, Carlisle, Savage

Clark starts on the bench, Coffield plays VFL as a mid and earns a spot there - he's no defender.

Don't know how to fit Battle in - he might get a spot on the pine as a general Mr Fit- It, but I don't like that as a long term development strategy...

Also I agree on Dougal, he starts at Sandy and I think Battle plays back while the experiment for him to roam into the middle is on. Dougal can't go from being a fringe player over 5 seasons and spending the last 4 weeks of last season in the feeder team to an automatic selection at our club. There would be some disgrungtled players if that happens. Dougal needs a blinder against the Pies to convince me otherwise.

20 games in 2018

That's 35 games in a row in 18/19 including elevation to temporary captain before something caused him to lose favor.

My version of a fringe player is someone who is in and out of the team over a number of years as a senior player. Not a developing kid who suffered an early ACL.
LOL, SK you are getting so desperate to support your position that you are making up your own version of the truth. That's another very Ted-like post from you.

Plays 20 games in 2018
Plays first 15 games ion 2019 then gets dropped in strange circumstances and leaves the club.

I guess Max King is lucky you are not in list management at the Saints because he wouldn't even rate as a fringe player on your rankings.

Hate to break it to you but Howard will play round one as will Max barring mishap.
If they don't and you are correct that Max needs 1/2 a season at Sandy and Howard needs to work his way into the team I'm happy to gobble down some humble pie.
He was recruited in 2014 at pick 57 and didn't debut until 2016.

What injuries were holding him back from taking a relatively long time to debut?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 2:18pm

Geary, Howard, Wilkie
Long, Carlisle, Savage

20 games in 2018

Plays 20 games in 2018

What injuries were holding him back from taking a relatively long time to debut?
LOL, seriously SK?

So PA draft a 199cm beanpole with pick #56 in the 2014 draft and he doesn't debut until 2016 and you think that is a relatively long time to debut?

I think big guys take time to develop and debuting in 2016 is more than acceptable and was probably ahead of expectation. As soon as he got over his ACL he played 30 odd straight.

I guess he's not Chris Judd or Joel Selwood who had an impact from game one but n0-one expects him to be a champion, but I have him in our best 22 and expect him to be a solid contributor as a defensive KPP.

Rhys Stanley was a similar draft pick #47 in 2008 and similar build and size to Howard so a resonable comparison. Rhys debuted in round 10 2010 playing 7 games that season. Interestingly Hugh Goddard at a similar height was drafted by us at #21 in the same draft.

Keep it up SK, I'm enjoying the anti Doogie Howser stand :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 11:56am 45 games over 5 seasons = fringe player.
If you take into account that Howard missed the bulk of 2 seasons recovering from an ACL I would consider 45 games, many of these consecutively, as better than fringe, bearing in mind also that he obviously fell out with Hinkley at some stage last year when he reportedly did "a Carlisle" and got disgruntled because he was sent forward when his preference was defence. Howard is highly rated by most commentators and was recruited by St Kilda specifically to succeed Nathan Brown at FB, and that's where I expect he will play if selected for Round 1. Note also that Nathan Brown has not made the top 30 playing this weekend in the Marsh Cup which would surely indicate that Howard will be FB against North Melbourne.

On Roberton I have also held a belief that he should prove his mettle in the Reserves, but now believe that the coaches have decided if he goes OK on the weekend he will play in the seniors against North, at the expense of the unlucky Wilkie most likely.

Surprised that no one is picking Dunstan, was close to BOG against Hawthorn a few weeks ago, has really benefited from Ratten's guidance - he is a lock IMHO and is going to have a phenomenal season, just wait and see!!

Consider Coffield/Webster/Paton/Phillips preferable to Geary but understand that isn't going to happen :( but happy to be proved wrong....

My lineup for Rd 1:

FB Geary Howard Long
HB Clark Carlise Roberton
C Billings Hannebery Hill
HF King Marshall Buttler
FF Lonie Membrey Battle
RU Ryder Steele Gresham
INT Jones, Ross, Dunstan, Savage

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 2:53pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 2:18pm

Geary, Howard, Wilkie
Long, Carlisle, Savage

20 games in 2018

Plays 20 games in 2018

LOL, seriously SK?

So PA draft a 199cm beanpole with pick #56 in the 2014 draft and he doesn't debut until 2016 and you think that is a relatively long time to debut?

I think big guys take time to develop and debuting in 2016 is more than acceptable and was probably ahead of expectation. As soon as he got over his ACL he played 30 odd straight.

I guess he's not Chris Judd or Joel Selwood who had an impact from game one but n0-one expects him to be a champion, but I have him in our best 22 and expect him to be a solid contributor as a defensive KPP.

Rhys Stanley was a similar draft pick #47 in 2008 and similar build and size to Howard so a resonable comparison. Rhys debuted in round 10 2010 playing 7 games that season. Interestingly Hugh Goddard at a similar height was drafted by us at #21 in the same draft.

Keep it up SK, I'm enjoying the anti Doogie Howser stand :lol:
Gee you are up and about on this one JB. If you calm down long enough to comprehend my POV you will understand we are in agreement somewhat.

I am glad we recruited DH, I'm just reserving my judgment on his automatic 22 status. Am I allowed to take the conservative road on this one? Or are you insisting I rush to buy a DH badge from the Merch stand asap.

To the top
SS Life Member

Austin appears on the outer

I would go with

Roberton Howard Coffield
Clark Carlisle Long
Hill Hannebery Jones
Billings Marshall Gresham
Buttler King Membrey
Ryder Steele Dunstan

Ross Battle and 2 others preferably who contribute to mid field rotations

I understand that we have recruited some who are assets around the Club presenting and contributing as they are

This starts with Ryder, Jones and Hill (whose skills are extraordinary)

There is also the involvement of the partners c

StPeter
Club Player

I am puzzled why so many supporters on here don't rate Sinclair or include them in their opening line-ups.

Thank goodness the selectors clearly think differently and barring a shocker on Sunday I expect him to be in the side round 1.

He is an important link-man with excellent skills.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

StPeter wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 8:45pm I am puzzled why so many supporters on here don't rate Sinclair or include them in their opening line-ups.

Thank goodness the selectors clearly think differently and barring a shocker on Sunday I expect him to be in the side round 1.

Sincs is one of my pick as one to watch in 2020. Got really good skills and just needs to find consistency. Could be a 35+ goal scorer as a HF player that gives relief in the middle.

Harves Man
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 9:55am
Perhaps with the increased mod depth, Savage could be the guy to get less attention and get off the leash
Yeah, he's going to want to Shout to the Top - it's no good him Going Underground. Otherwise he'll just get treated like a guy from A Town Called Malice. Let's hope he gets on the Magic Bus.

Anyway, what would I know: I'm no Pinball Wizard.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

on a magic bus as opposed to down in a tube station at midnight?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 12:35am
skeptic wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 9:55am
Perhaps with the increased mod depth, Savage could be the guy to get less attention and get off the leash
Yeah, he's going to want to Shout to the Top - it's no good him Going Underground. Otherwise he'll just get treated like a guy from A Town Called Malice. Let's hope he gets on the Magic Bus.

Anyway, what would I know: I'm no Pinball Wizard.
We’ll have to redraft Mav, trade for Lauchie and recruit their older brother Paul.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

We’ll have to redraft Mav, trade for Lauchie and recruit their older brother Paul.
:P

there’ll be Mavness everywhere !!!

full metal Mavness.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 8:45pm I am puzzled why so many supporters on here don't rate Sinclair or include them in their opening line-ups.

He does have excellent skills SP, unfortunately needs to get the ball more and own a position. For the life of me I could not tell you what position or role he plays in any given game.

Sinclair is the perfect size, type and likeness for a bobble head doll. A lot of fun and inoffensive. I hope SK is right and 2020 is his coming of age, if it's not he will have fallen a long way down the pecking order.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 05 Mar 2020 12:42pm If King or any other player who is yet to debut or is on the fringe has already told they are lock at this stage of a pre season then the club has been hijacked by circus clowns.

#selectionintegrity
#elitecoaching
That made me smile, two hashtags not linked to St Kilda for 8 years.

Seems to me King has done everything right to be selected in a key position and it's because of that integrity remains in tack.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think he’s part of a long line of players that looked set to step up and stagnated badly.

I don’t have him in my 22 at the moment but agree that he certainly has the talent and skills to be there.

Out of interest, where do you have playing? I’d have thought HFF.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 1:22pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 05 Mar 2020 12:42pm If King or any other player who is yet to debut or is on the fringe has already told they are lock at this stage of a pre season then the club has been hijacked by circus clowns.

#selectionintegrity
#elitecoaching
That made me smile, two hashtags not linked to St Kilda for 8 years.

Seems to me King has done everything right to be selected in a key position and it's because of that integrity remains in tack.
It was designed to draw humour, I'm stoked someone is paying attention.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 11:40am
True Believer wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 11:28am I think the OP nailed it. The only real question marks for me are around Lonie/hind/Kent. The way to resolve that is for Lonie to kick another bag this week. If a small forward nails multiple goals per game he becomes a lock..... :wink:
Interesting TB, I have Lonie & Butler almost locked in with the query whether they go with an extra small forward but I don't think they will given they have Billings & Gresham whop rotate through the forward half.

Have have Lonie miles ahead of Kent and Hind, I prefer Hind to Kent but feel the coaches would play Kent over Hind.
Yeah sorry about that, I didn't express myself clearly enough. I think those 3 are fighting for the one spot, and I think it is Jack's to lose at this stage......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Callum Wilke is a lock for round 1 as far as I am concerned.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ditto

wholeheartedly agree.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.