To all the posters who kept saying debt doesn't matter.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: To all the posters who kept saying debt doesn't matter.....

None of us will know what the brave new world looks like, but big brother AFL will be strapped for cash for the first time in 20 years or more.

Will season 2020 be written off?

Will it be mergers for 2021?
Brisbane & Gold Coast?
Sydney & GWS?
Will someone relocated to Tasmania?
Will VIC clubs merge?

Will it be business as usual?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 1:32pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:06pm With the AFL set to lose millions of $$$$ because of COVID-19 would you like to reconsider your opinion? If any teams go bust, we will be the first one.
That's a bit alarmist Nick - this is what I posted on this subject on another poster's topic:

"Beno88 wrote: ↑Tue 24 Mar 2020 8:21am
Sorry, why are we not surviving?

Quite right Beno88, there are other clubs that are deemed in a worse position than the Saints:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/03/26/t ... -the-wall/

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 54dwl.html

In any case, the AFL has a massive war chest to keep the 18 team competition going which is really crucial come the negotiations with broadcasters for the next media deal. Unlike the other major football codes, including the NRL, the AFL has long planned for a doomsday scenario, with a Future Fund as well as a massive physical asset, free of debt, of Docklands Stadium.

Any speculation that St Kilda will fall by the wayside as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic is way off the mark!

On another related matter, I feel there is likely to be some concern about the key Football Department figures who have been stood down, people like David Rath and James Gallagher and others who have been instrumental in working with Simon Lethlean to bring in the 6 experienced AFL players to beef up the team for 2020. This major disruption of the season and mass staffing cuts (80%) may well see a big shake-up of every club's support personnel as they may well go and look for opportunities elsewhere to get a job..."
I highlighted the if as much as I could. In view of this how could you possibly accuse me of being an alarmist?

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 7:18pm None of us will know what the brave new world looks like, but big brother AFL will be strapped for cash for the first time in 20 years or more.

Will season 2020 be written off?

Will it be mergers for 2021?
Brisbane & Gold Coast?
Sydney & GWS?
Will someone relocated to Tasmania?
Will VIC clubs merge?

Will it be business as usual?
The AFL and all of its 18 clubs will be sweet as a bun. They have a strong balance sheet to ride out this small storm.