Boy how disheartening was that?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

scallopsroe
Club Player

Re: Boy how disheartening was that?

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 4:59pm Yep.

I can’t believe how mentally weak we are. It’s not talent or system - we were good enough to get 5 up on North and 6 up on Freo ... and disintegrated against both when challenged. Terribly disappointing.

Huge reality check - I’d like to see Ratten get nasty at selection - his hallmark was supposed to be about skill and finishing off your work. Time to walk the talk.
Our brittleness has been a sorry feature of our system since 2012. We roll over too easily. Sad but a reflection of the club's mentality fo many years

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

That's 2 devastating losses now after being 6 goals up - one is a blip - two should not be tolerated

Team changes need to be made - time to send a message to the playing squad ...... and the supporters

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

scallopsroe wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 7:59pm

I can’t believe how mentally weak we are. It’s not talent or system - we were good enough to get 5 up on North and 6 up on Freo ... and disintegrated against both when challenged. Terribly disappointing.

Huge reality check - I’d like to see Ratten get nasty at selection - his hallmark was supposed to be about skill and finishing off your work. Time to walk the talk.
Our brittleness has been a sorry feature of our system since 2012. We roll over too easily. Sad but a reflection of the club's mentality fo many years
So do you think it has been our brittleness since 2012 that's the problem?😀

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The fact that we came back from 19pts down with 6 mins to go just makes this loss even worse

That injury depleted Freo side put 55pts on us in 2.5 quarters

Ratten should be tearing flesh off them

Leadership was absolutely non existent

Some senior players .... if you could call them players ..... should be dropped permanently

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That last kick to Colonel Klink wasn't 15 metres either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 7:52pm It really is offensive.

Losing like that.

It is quite disrespectful to the fourty six thousand members that have hung around, with most on the couch because they cant go out anywhere. We get to sit through that s***. I wonder if any of them will actually consider this when they kick back in Noosa this evening.

There are no excuses. It was lazy and insipid.

I knew it in the lead up to this game that I should know better than to start looking forward to it. Every time you start looking forward to it, they f****** let you down again.

s*** effort St.Kilda.

A really s*** effort.

Enjoy your quaranteen.
Don’t disagree with how you feel.

Pissing wet in Melbourne - can’t go out - and they serve up that insipid s*** after 1/4 time.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

It’s an outcome of the most shitful onfield leadership going around.

tglennisback

I’m glad we didn’t pinch it. Losing is a bitter pill, scraping back in to win takes all the pressure off. There would be no learning from that looking at it from a long term perspective. Hopefully it’s a long sad 2 ½ hour bus ride.

I have had it with them until next year.

Treat it as a long preseason.

At least they got to witness true grit close up.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Whatever was said after the North loss obviously didn't sink in

So what does Ratten need to do to make the message fkn stick?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 10:09pm Whatever was said after the North loss obviously didn't sink in

So what does Ratten need to do to make the message fkn stick?
I literally hope he didn’t say a thing. It’s for those that were on the ground to work out why the hell they chose to stop running and cracking in. Disgraceful, leaderless rubbish.

We’re not far away from (justifiably) being known as downhill skiers .. that’s about the biggest insult a team can wear.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fru ... 55b72.html
Frustrated St Kilda coach Brett Ratten will show no mercy at selection after watching the Saints give up a winning lead for the second time this season in a confidence sapping loss for the club.

He said too many players did not contribute when required as he indicated his patience would wear thin quickly if individuals thought they could rely on others to do the job.

Ratten was disappointed the Saints were unable to bring the game back on their terms when Fremantle challenged, which allowed the Dockers to kick 11 of the first 12 goals kicked after quarter-time to reel in a 37-point deficit.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I got deja vu.
I dozed and then thought I had gone back in time to play North again.
Could not get the ball out of defence,
Could not get the ball past mid way if we did.
Got smashed at centre clearances.
We seemed to be full of overlap run in the first quarter then zero run after that.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What we couldnt overcome was a full press. Looked completely different on the replay but I was there. In the first qtr we set up.accross HB and pushed forward with overlap. Our new style.
Longmuir then sent his whole defence into their half and they ran us ragged.
What puzzles me is we went with them and blew our structure. For most of the 2nd and 3rd their was 36 players in one half.
They swamped the centre square and basically ran repeat 50m sprints. We tried to go around them and got swamped. They ran hard and we couldnt keep up. Then when we got the ball we resorted back to bombs away from the defensive side of centre. We got out-coached, out-played and out run.
Hill Paton Billings Carlisle and Ross all got sucked into a game of chasey and we just keep trying to push the ball wide and find space. It was pathetic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our games so far this year indicate that we are a a team of downhill skiers at present. Hopefully it is due to having so many younger players in the team.

When all is going well we look wonderful. But if the opposition gets their A-Game going we go missing bigtime.

We saw this in the North, Pies and Freo Games.

In particular we lack genuine quality inside mids that can turn the game back our way. But it is not just that, it is most of the team that drops it intensity and goes missing and we start playing as individuals. And when the other team is playing as a team, that means we are easily overpowered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:25am What we couldnt overcome was a full press. Looked completely different on the replay but I was there. In the first qtr we set up.accross HB and pushed forward with overlap. Our new style.
What puzzles me is we went with them and blew our structure. For most of the 2nd and 3rd their was 36 players in one half.
They swamped the centre square and basically ran repeat 50m sprints. We tried to go around them and got swamped. They ran hard and we couldnt keep up. Then when we got the ball we resorted back to bombs away from the defensive side of centre. We got out-coached, out-played and out run.
Hill Paton Billings Carlisle and Ross all got sucked into a game of chasey and we just keep trying to push the ball wide and find space. It was pathetic.
I was NOT at the game.
You can't see the strategic view of the game on TV but get a close up instead.

But it sure looked like the reason we could not clear the ball out of defence was a full forward press which we were clueless in knowing how to over come.
We certainly were not able to run in mass support and had no outlet players providing targets.
It also looked like we were being smashed at centre bounces.
We may get our hands on it but coffed it up before clearing it.
They simply applied more pressure.
Whereas our players looked like they were content to follow their opponents to the ball.
No hard aggressive run until the last 5 minutes when we thought we could snatch the game.

This weeks training must focus on overcoming a full forward press.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

If it is worth saying - it is worth saying half a dozen times

However .......

I think this is a symptom of an underlying problem - we lack leadership on the field. Not just from our captain - but we lack the Lenny Hayes type player who grabs the team and shakes them out of their slumber - we look for high marks or courageous tackles to pull us from a stupor. It has become even more evident since runners have been limited - but we are headless when it comes to a little bit of pressure and look to a void in on field leadership.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Crossy66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:25am What we couldnt overcome was a full press. Looked completely different on the replay but I was there. In the first qtr we set up.accross HB and pushed forward with overlap. Our new style.
Interesting observations that you can only make when you are at the game. From watching the tv, the freo plan looked identical to collingwood a few weeks back.
Perhaps longmuir, an ex Collingwood assistant, did his homework on how to counter our run. Perhaps we can expect more clubs to do the same, so we'll need a plan b.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We haven't had a Plan B since 1966 :evil:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yep CQ Saint. Agree. Was also there. We were swamped after quarter time. Our running game that broke open the first quarter was stifled, we went sideways, stuffed around and then lost confidence and our delivery dropped off.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

As I reflected in another post we will be lucky to claim 7 wins.
Many reasons,,,,

Ill highlight categories....
Trade Ins:

Hill - can do ok but hasnt "won" a game for us or played even statistically above avg in 2020....this is a fact not my opinion.
He was absolutely a joke vs Freo...a laugh out loud joke.

Young Guns:

Marshall - still a newbie but bearing the weight of #1 - has slumped badly on form from 2019. Has good moments...lots of upside. Got smashed in CB's for 3 quarters, completely ineffective. His inability to get first touch and tap to advantage meant mids were immediately scrambling for a ball and swamped or put under pressure to chase Freo mids. Marshall needed Ryder yesterday badly.

King is emerging, gets fewer marks than you'd expect. But does try to create advantage for ground game. Behinds are expected but not forever...

50-100 Gamers:

Players like Gresham who are somehow untouchable, are just flat, he is statistically down 38% at present overall from 2019. Somethings odd with him. He is not impacting play enough.
There's Lonie and others who consistently hit and misfire.

7 wins for 2020.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just another marvellous saints memory to cherish for ever and ever

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That explains a lot.

However the full press is hardly new and so one can oly wonder way Ratts was so slow to react.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:05pm
That explains a lot.

However the full press is hardly new and so one can oly wonder way Ratts was so slow to react.
I can inform you the coaches reacted. The players did not. The amount of players who did not register one pressure act or even one possession ( particularly in the third quarter) was pathetic. No bus trip, no humidity, no lack of plan B is to blame. Just a pathetic performance and they know.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:24pm
That explains a lot.

I can inform you the coaches reacted. The players did not. The amount of players who did not register one pressure act or even one possession ( particularly in the third quarter) was pathetic. No bus trip, no humidity, no lack of plan B is to blame. Just a pathetic performance and they know.
Thanks Tony.

Glad to hear the club is putting the onus on the players and not looking for ridiculous excuses.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:24pm
That explains a lot.

Do the captain vice captain and highest paid player realize how putrid they personally were?