Geelong smash Port: Feel better?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geelong smash Port: Feel better?

sunsaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 2:58pm
Devilhead wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 12:16am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 12:10am They’re kind of ruining the whole ‘can’t perform with repeated short breaks between games’ thing.
Not that hard to perform when the other side just don't turn up

Finals is different kettle of piranhas
Port game and our game played out very similar
Low scoring first half then explode

Finals are a pressure boiler and they seem to be absorbing the opposition resistance in the first two quarters and then breaking them

On a bigger note did carlisle run pretty boy into form... ;-)
Errrr these weren't finals last time i looked

Do you seriously think Port are going to bring that no pressure crap game into the finals?

Maybe have a look at the Port v Tigers game again

I very much doubt we will that bad either .... if we make it :wink:

Geelong are very suspect when pressured - which they weren't during our game or yesterdays game

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

If we make it???
The fairest draw ever
It's a lightening round season pathway to the finals and I fully expect not only to make it but give the cup a good change of winning
Otherwise why bother trying to win even EFC and Melbourne
You can only thrash the opposition that presents
Otherwise the point to are trying to make about the tigers and port has no relevance either because clearly they didn't try against lowly stkilda

Seeya
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:45pm If we make it???
The fairest draw ever
It's a lightening round season pathway to the finals and I fully expect not only to make it but give the cup a good change of winning
Otherwise the point to are trying to make about the tigers and port has no relevance either because clearly they didn't try against lowly stkilda
I'm with you mate. Let's give it a real shake. That's why Hannebury is going back into the hub after all. There's even talk about Gresham coming back if we make finals.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintkid
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:54pm
sunsaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:45pm If we make it???
The fairest draw ever
I'm with you mate. Let's give it a real shake. That's why Hannebury is going back into the hub after all. There's even talk about Gresham coming back if we make finals.
I doubt very much Gresham would risk it and come back. It's a very serious injury and needs to take it easy for quite some time. Unfortunate for him and the team.

axcellence
Club Player

Sadly, it's a case of the gifts that keep giving.

Father son rule meant that Geelong got Selwood and then Hawkins for a third round pick.

Oh, and Steven is also filling in a few gaps for them without starring. Of course though, Saints are paying his salary.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Not wanting to reopen the whole Steven debate again but imagine an in his prime Jack Steven on this list.

Pbly takes Kent’s spot rotating with Gresh and we’re top of the ladder

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:12pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 9:41am
Toy Saint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 9:32am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 12:45am Big Jake and Bradley Hill were very sick before the match on Monday night apparently.Very ill on the bus from Noosa to the Gabba according to the mail.

I think we'll see a very different Saints on Sunday arvo against the Bombres.

Win that, and we can reload for the final five H&A matches of 2020 with confiidence. The important thing is all about how we respond.

If Ross isn't right, could we bring back Ryan Byrnes for another chance? Could be an opportunity here.
If they were sick they should not have played. A healthy Marsh and Savage would be a lot better than a sick Hill and Jake. If true, terrible decision by the match committee.
Not necessarily, the Asterisk cup has challenges that are mostly being kept from the footy fans, the AFL's PR machine is to be commended for maintaining the illusion of normalcy. Suffice to say the selection process is impossible at the moment due to there being any AFL ready players to pick from each week.

A sick experienced AFL player is better than an inexperienced player who can't play in competition at the feeder level to prepare for the elite standard. It's that simple and is another reason why results are compromised.
If I could like this post twice I would.

If Hill and Carlisle hadn't played we would have gone down by 17 goals not by nearly ten.

Ratten knows that the match tomorrow against Essendon is the most important match we have until we play Melbourne in Alice Springs. Geelong are hard to beat, Essendon are gettable but if we go in tired they'll beat us. That's why he rested players against the Cats and that's why he gave Ross another week to get 100% right.

We beat Essendon tomorrow and it is an eight point match. After they drew with the Suns they effectively may have taken two sides out of the running for the finals this season.

And especially after GWS were thrashed by Sydney it looks more and more like our position in the Top Eight will be safe should we win tomorrow. Win tomorrow at the Gabba and we remove the threat of them taking our place.

And then hopefully repeat the dose in a couple of weeks against Melbourne, which is another eight point match for us.
I will disagree with you here.
I think if Savage played we wouldn't have done much worse.

A lot of teams are playing reserves players and the standard of games has been superb. Asterisk there might be, but it will not be on account of playing standard. The game standard has been excellent of late. Even last night, you had Dangerfield, not a reknowned point-to-point long kick, just in superb kicking touch. Like a swiss watch. It has been a superb display of skill, but not only skill, grit and will. It will be a well deserved flagm and one to be treasured.

As for the mechanics of the ladder and draw...yes, I won't quibble with that, but I haven't done the maths. I would have thought a drawn game may help...until we draw one,,touch wood.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I had a schizo moment last night.

I was rooting for Port Adelade but at the end I was rooting for the Hillbilly boys to win by 59 plus points.

Weird.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 5:46pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 12:45am Big Jake and Bradley Hill were very sick before the match on Monday night apparently.Very ill on the bus from Noosa to the Gabba according to the mail.

Win that, and we can reload for the final five H&A matches of 2020 with confiidence. The important thing is all about how we respond.

If Ross isn't right, could we bring back Ryan Byrnes for another chance? Could be an opportunity here.
If they were sick they should not have played. A healthy Marsh and Savage would be a lot better than a sick Hill and Jake. If true, terrible decision by the match committee.
Not necessarily, the Asterisk cup has challenges that are mostly being kept from the footy fans, the AFL's PR machine is to be commended for maintaining the illusion of normalcy. Suffice to say the selection process is impossible at the moment due to there being any AFL ready players to pick from each week.

A sick experienced AFL player is better than an inexperienced player who can't play in competition at the feeder level to prepare for the elite standard. It's that simple and is another reason why results are compromised.

If Hill and Carlisle hadn't played we would have gone down by 17 goals not by nearly ten.

Ratten knows that the match tomorrow against Essendon is the most important match we have until we play Melbourne in Alice Springs. Geelong are hard to beat, Essendon are gettable but if we go in tired they'll beat us. That's why he rested players against the Cats and that's why he gave Ross another week to get 100% right.

We beat Essendon tomorrow and it is an eight point match. After they drew with the Suns they effectively may have taken two sides out of the running for the finals this season.

And especially after GWS were thrashed by Sydney it looks more and more like our position in the Top Eight will be safe should we win tomorrow. Win tomorrow at the Gabba and we remove the threat of them taking our place.

And then hopefully repeat the dose in a couple of weeks against Melbourne, which is another eight point match for us.

A lot of teams are playing reserves players and the standard of games has been superb. Asterisk there might be, but it will not be on account of playing standard. The game standard has been excellent of late. Even last night, you had Dangerfield, not a reknowned point-to-point long kick, just in superb kicking touch. Like a swiss watch. It has been a superb display of skill, but not only skill, grit and will. It will be a well deserved flagm and one to be treasured.

As for the mechanics of the ladder and draw...yes, I won't quibble with that, but I haven't done the maths. I would have thought a drawn game may help...until we draw one,,touch wood.
The standard of games have been superb? I must watch more of the games then, because apart from Saints games, I have not been able to watch a whole match this season, have lost interest, due to one team not turning up, or a low scoring slugfest. I also cannot stand the short quarters, you seemingly watch a little bit of play and suddenly there is only five minutes left, and the team a couple of goals up is chipping it around more. Those extra 4 mins plus time on seems to make a lot of difference.

I did watch a bit of Cats vs Port, and true, Cats were superb with good skills, but they only had a fumbling Port as opponents, who just didn't seem interested. Turned it off halfway through the third. Not much of a match.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 5:37pm Not wanting to reopen the whole Steven debate again but imagine an in his prime Jack Steven on this list.

Definition of ironic.

Fat guts left us because he wanted to be closer to his family and home.

Now he is in Queensland. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 6:14pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 5:46pm

The standard of games have been superb? I must watch more of the games then, because apart from Saints games, I have not been able to watch a whole match this season, have lost interest, due to one team not turning up, or a low scoring slugfest. I also cannot stand the short quarters, you seemingly watch a little bit of play and suddenly there is only five minutes left, and the team a couple of goals up is chipping it around more. Those extra 4 mins plus time on seems to make a lot of difference.

I did watch a bit of Cats vs Port, and true, Cats were superb with good skills, but they only had a fumbling Port as opponents, who just didn't seem interested. Turned it off halfway through the third. Not much of a match.
Roos just lost to the bears by a solitary point. Good game too.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 6:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 5:37pm Not wanting to reopen the whole Steven debate again but imagine an in his prime Jack Steven on this list.

Definition of ironic.

Certainly. And absolutely not in his prime with his form not what we need... but I can’t help but salivate at the prospect of 2017 Steven in this team. Almost perfect.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 6:18pm

Definition of ironic.

Supposedly, ”he wanted to be closer to his family and home”...

We’ve all heard the stories.

Not good.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jack Bytel says hello!! You were claiming the same sort of thing when you predicted in the preseason that Max King wouldn’t play Round 1. Saints supporters are excited by seeing our 2 best young prospects gaining experience. The fans aren’t interested in the club and coaches protecting senior players and playing them to keep them happy with match payments.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:15am

Jack Bytel says hello!! You were claiming the same sort of thing when you predicted in the preseason that Max King wouldn’t play Round 1. Saints supporters are excited by seeing our 2 best young prospects gaining experience. The fans aren’t interested in the club and coaches protecting senior players and playing them to keep them happy with match payments.
I gotta be honest I watch TV with the sound up so I'll have to take your word on what the fans are interested in.

However King is lucky there is a pandemic on as he would have been sent back to Sandy by now. He has been average in most games so lets hope he continues to improve. At the moment his main contribution is his height and blocking the ball to crumbing forwards.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know how Paddy M is going?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 12:47pm Anyone know how Paddy M is going?
Is looking like being back on our list next year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 12:31pm

I gotta be honest I watch TV with the sound up so I'll have to take your word on what the fans are interested in.

However King is lucky there is a pandemic on as he would have been sent back to Sandy by now. He has been average in most games so lets hope he continues to improve. At the moment his main contribution is his height and blocking the ball to crumbing forwards.
You really ought to keep quiet. In the first quarter against Essendon King was dominant. In the second, the Bombers were so worried about him that they played a man short in their forwad line to cover, so that freed up Coff who was having a positive influence for us as the loose defender

At least if you stfu you can still pretend that you know something about the actual game of aussie rules

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 6:18pm

You really ought to keep quiet. In the first quarter against Essendon King was dominant. In the second, the Bombers were so worried about him that they played a man short in their forwad line to cover, so that freed up Coff who was having a positive influence for us as the loose defender

At least if you stfu you can still pretend that you know something about the actual game of aussie rules
It's great Kingy is playing better this week on a team that has all ready put the cue in the rack for 2020, I think they have won one game in the past 6 rounds?

He's got to do it against a good team and a strong backline which he hasn't managed to do yet.

saintkev
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:38pm What a hiding.
Look familiar?
Port Adelaide, 60 points!
I hope Dougal feels better, a little.
One thing we need is flexible game plans.plan B , plan C etc.
Screw that idea about having a game ‘identity’, that commentators can recognize.
The more obvious it is, the more Geelong just hack it.
Gawd, I hate Geelong. Especially more now, since they write Cats after their name.
Geelong didn’t play too badly considering they only had 4 days off. Perhaps they didn’t expend too much energy in demolishing us only 4 days earlier.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

King has kicked 18 goals and comfortably sits second in our goal kicking in his first year and old Secret Karen wants him dropped!

I knew he was clueless but wowee!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

:wink:

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 6:25pm

It's great Kingy is playing better this week on a team that has all ready put the cue in the rack for 2020, I think they have won one game in the past 6 rounds?

He's got to do it against a good team and a strong backline which he hasn't managed to do yet.
any chance you can tone down that big Statement signature of yours?
ya know, the old "those that protesteth too much" analogy....?

I daresay that 95% of us here arent racist and that just so happens to be the default position of most of us
To have something so big and intrusive as a statement on your every post, seems to me, and others, that you, embracing the default position of everyone else has you think you're somehow special and different, and that racism somehow ends with you
Its doesnt, its ongoing and ends with all of us
Not just some guy, who in fan forum wants to point out his specialness and squeaky clean moral record
when in most instances, such statements would suggest that maybe you are a racist or are covering up for some other moral shortcoming
that a big bold statement may divert attention from

just saying,,, and pointing out... it's a little ridiculous

Secret Kiel
Club Player

HardSaint wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:38pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 6:25pm

any chance you can tone down that big Statement signature of yours?
ya know, the old "those that protesteth too much" analogy....?

I daresay that 95% of us here arent racist and that just so happens to be the default position of most of us
To have something so big and intrusive as a statement on your every post, seems to me, and others, that you, embracing the default position of everyone else has you think you're somehow special and different, and that racism somehow ends with you
Its doesnt, its ongoing and ends with all of us
Not just some guy, who in fan forum wants to point out his specialness and squeaky clean moral record
when in most instances, such statements would suggest that maybe you are a racist or are covering up for some other moral shortcoming
that a big bold statement may divert attention from

just saying,,, and pointing out... it's a little ridiculous
It's an important issue for me, just like coward punches are an important issue to Joffa Burns. What do you think of JBs signature.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

i dont know mate, i dont notice it
I'm not looking to be offended

s*** that sticks out like dogs balls as though I need to be reminded of my obligation to a moral position that was set in concrete before I was even an adult
doesnt offend

just pisses me off
knowing that others may take a contrary position to your statement
just because you said it

so it backfires

and i suspect yout wouldnt care
just as long as you have a superior moral position