Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 9:06pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:06pm Seriously this is not on. Your job is to play football and you get payed well. You have a obligation to fulfil and now you drop this. Not good enough for a professional.
It's not the 1960's Curly!
Might not have been on during your stellar legendary 400 game career but it's now 2020.
Family first!

Jake is not contracted for next season and 4-7 weeks ago wasn't in the best 22, and you expect him to miss the birth of his child for a game of football?

Written by someone who idolizes footballers and the game and doesn't put real life into perspective.

Again with the personal dig Maverick. Jake and his partner know what his job is and the people he represents. I was at both my kids births my father was at none of his . Nothing has changed my mum doesn’t think anything less of him and I certainly don’t think anything less of him. This is a final and he’s earning a living for his family.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What about quarantining? Doesn't he have to do that if he comes back to Melbourne? How can he then go to Adelaide the following week when we progress?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:11pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:02pm There’s more important things in life than football.
Of Course there is - Umpiring Conspiracies for one!!! :wink: :wink: :!: :!:
But you’re Sainter_Dad?!
SaintPav - yes I am - but what am I missing?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 10:31pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:11pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 8:02pm There’s more important things in life than football.
Of Course there is - Umpiring Conspiracies for one!!! :wink: :wink: :!: :!:
But you’re Sainter_Dad?!
SaintPav - yes I am - but what am I missing?
Nothing - it was a joke.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm absolutely blown away by Jake's decision. I have two kids and yeah I was there for their birth. But does it make him a bad person, a bad partner, a bad father if he isn't? My wife told me she'd be pissed off with me if I didn't go and play football if I was earning 60k a month. That's the lifestyle I'm supporting her and my kids with. Right now that's my role in the family. And my work needs me more than my partner does if I'm a key player in an AFL team. Surely Jake's partner has a mother, best friend, mother in law, someone who can be there and care for his other kids and support her during the birth?? The fact that Jake doesn't have a contract next year makes it even more bewildering. He plays like he did last Saturday and he can demand what he wants! He will have a lifetime to be with his kids. I get emotional about certain things in life, but I have to be honest being present at the birth is the most overated thing in the world. Being a dad is being there for their life. I hear so many dads prattle on about how it was the most special moment they've ever witnessed and 2 hours later they're down the pub getting pissed with their mates. And for many, that little routine continues right through their child's life. But they pat themselves on the back because they witnessed the birth as if that makes them a good person. For this short period someone else can take the reins. If my old man was a gun footballer and missed a final for my birth I'd shake my head in disgust. His partner isn't sick, it's a natural life event. If she was sick or his children were gravely ill like Ablett's were earlier in the year that I could understand. This, I can't and to be frank will cost us any chance of winning the semi Friday night. Yeah, it's a game of footy and it's not life and death, but it's a billion dollar industry where they actually are playing for sheep stations. A healthy baby awaits him at the end of the campaign as a great reward to finish the season.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:42pm Good luck to jake and his wife
Possibly a very expensive baby
My sentiments exactly.

Won’t have done himself any favors in the image department, but it’s his fair call to make.

And in a line ball contract discussion, he might well cross the street I would think.

Just to see his great performance against the Dogs, those strong marks, good hands and positioning.

He could have been captain with a different mindset but we are all who we are...bla bla..rah rah..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Has he actually decided?

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:48am I'm absolutely blown away by Jake's decision. I have two kids and yeah I was there for their birth. But does it make him a bad person, a bad partner, a bad father if he isn't? My wife told me she'd be pissed off with me if I didn't go and play football if I was earning 60k a month. That's the lifestyle I'm supporting her and my kids with. Right now that's my role in the family. And my work needs me more than my partner does if I'm a key player in an AFL team. Surely Jake's partner has a mother, best friend, mother in law, someone who can be there and care for his other kids and support her during the birth?? The fact that Jake doesn't have a contract next year makes it even more bewildering. He plays like he did last Saturday and he can demand what he wants! He will have a lifetime to be with his kids. I get emotional about certain things in life, but I have to be honest being present at the birth is the most overated thing in the world. Being a dad is being there for their life. I hear so many dads prattle on about how it was the most special moment they've ever witnessed and 2 hours later they're down the pub getting pissed with their mates. And for many, that little routine continues right through their child's life. But they pat themselves on the back because they witnessed the birth as if that makes them a good person. For this short period someone else can take the reins. If my old man was a gun footballer and missed a final for my birth I'd shake my head in disgust. His partner isn't sick, it's a natural life event. If she was sick or his children were gravely ill like Ablett's were earlier in the year that I could understand. This, I can't and to be frank will cost us any chance of winning the semi Friday night. Yeah, it's a game of footy and it's not life and death, but it's a billion dollar industry where they actually are playing for sheep stations. A healthy baby awaits him at the end of the campaign as a great reward to finish the season.
We don't know their situation, the mother's health or the baby's. Your personal situation and feelings don't apply to everyone. What if something goes wrong, or worst case, a life is lost? I think he'd find little solace in the fact he was playing a football game then.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bullmarket
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:19am Has he actually decided?

SEN reporting that Jake has now left the Qld hub

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmm

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bullmarket wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:40am
fugazi wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:19am Has he actually decided?

Yep and it's gone from a 40/60 game to 10/90 in two days.

Laurie
Club Player

Pull your head in Curly family comes before football.
There are those on here who want him traded at ywars end and now questioning why he is leaving to be at the birth of his child.

Boom Boom

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:19am Pull your head in Curly family comes before football.
There are those on here who want him traded at ywars end and now questioning why he is leaving to be at the birth of his child.

Boom Boom
Not in a final when its his job.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:19am Pull your head in Curly family comes before football.

Boom Boom
I hear this phrase a lot. ‘Family comes before footy ‘
It’s very emotive and designed to automatically make the reader feel uncomfortable if they don’t agree.

Just interested then. The birth of a child, whilst a huge occasion. Is it more important developmentally than say a kids first day of school? Miss a final because you’re interstate and miss the first day of school?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:35am

Boom Boom
It’s very emotive and designed to automatically make the reader feel uncomfortable if they don’t agree.

Just interested then. The birth of a child, whilst a huge occasion. Is it more important developmentally than say a kids first day of school? Miss a final because you’re interstate and miss the first day of school?

Its the trend its the thing to be seen doing. Trust me we add no value being in there.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b4fb781104

St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle will miss Friday night’s semi-final blockbuster with Richmond after leaving the Saints’ hub.

Carlisle departed the club’s Noosa hub on Monday morning to return to Melbourne to be at the birth of his third child.

Saints chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said the club was fully supportive of Carlisle’s decision.

“We thank Jake for staying as long as he possibly could before heading to NSW to be with Mel for the birth,” Lethlean said.

“He has been away from his young family for a number of months now and we thank him for making that sacrifice. We support him in this decision and wish Jake, Mel, Nash and Layker all the best for the coming weeks.

Gershwin
Club Player

If it is important for his wife that he be there then I think that is all that matters.

summertime and the living is easy ........
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Good on him.
Seems to have made the mature and correct decision.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Decision made ..... we move on

Looks like Roberton gets his chance

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:40am

Boom Boom

Its the trend its the thing to be seen doing. Trust me we add no value being in there.
Speak for yourself Curly.

That says more about you than Carlisle.

It's 2020, the age of the dinosaurs is over.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

bullmarket wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:40am
Leaving the queensland "hub" makes him a good "hubby" and daddy, but a bad clubby.

Lynch will have a field day ... wihout our 2m tall second defender/interceptor.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

George27 wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:16pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:14pm
George27 wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:12pm I disagree totally. He has flagged the issue weeks ago.

When my wife into early labour with one of our children, I was in the middle of a work meeting. The call came through, I told everyone I had to leave, and I did . Was present at the birth - the most wonderful moments of my life. Way more important than my job . Same for Jake. Best wishes to him and his family.

Completely different.
Not at all. He is an employee , just as I was . His primary duty is to his family, not to you or me. Let the man live his life.
That's fine. If he wants to live his life he can hand back his wages. He is a selfish coked up turd who is becoming a Father. I feel sorry for the kid.

<1 week ban for ABUSING OR DEMEANING A SAINTS PLAYER, FAMILY OR OFFICIAL as well as abusing another poster in another thread>

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:45am https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b4fb781104

St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle will miss Friday night’s semi-final blockbuster with Richmond after leaving the Saints’ hub.

Carlisle departed the club’s Noosa hub on Monday morning to return to Melbourne to be at the birth of his third child.

Saints chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said the club was fully supportive of Carlisle’s decision.

“We thank Jake for staying as long as he possibly could before heading to NSW to be with Mel for the birth,” Lethlean said.

“He has been away from his young family for a number of months now and we thank him for making that sacrifice. We support him in this decision and wish Jake, Mel, Nash and Layker all the best for the coming weeks.
Here is the rest of that article.

"We gathered the players on Sunday night to thank both Jake and Paddy who will return to Melbourne for assessment on his hamstring.

“Both guys have had a big influence on our year and we wanted them to know how appreciative we are of their efforts.”

It is a triple blow for the Saints, who will already be without Paddy Ryder (hamstring) and Ben Long (suspended) for the Tigers’ showdown.

Although, the Saints will challenge the charge.

Long’s rough conduct charge against Jack Macrae was graded as careless conduct, high contact and medium impact.

Josh Battle (foot) is certain to return in Friday night’s semi-final if declared fit and would probably be used in the backline as the Saints prepare for a mini reshuffle without Carlisle.

It is expected that full-back Dougal Howard will play on Tom Lynch and perhaps Nick Coffield and Battle share duties on Jack Riewoldt.

Lynch has overcome his first hamstring injury and will train fully this week, compounding the expected loss of Carlisle.

Josh Battle (foot) is certain to return in Friday night’s semi-final if declared fit and would probably be used in the backline as the Saints prepare for a mini reshuffle without Carlisle.

Journeyman Jon Marsh is in line for selection, adding another burst of power to the Saints’ dynamic forward line.

Dylan Roberton’s hopes of a fairytale comeback to play on Riewoldt could hinge on Battle’s fitness.

Roberton, 29, has not played since Round 1, but could take to the field for a semi-final with a defibrillator installed inside his chest and with a wire connected to his heart.

St Kilda stalwart and Fox Footy analyst Leigh Montagna told the Herald Sun Carlisle’s potential absence would cause serious match-up recalibrating.

“If Carlisle goes home it’s a big dilemma. Cal Wilkie hasn’t been outmarked in a one-on-one contest all year, so he’s a great match-up for Dusty,” Montagna said.

“It’s a flow-on effect from there without Carlisle. Whoever you choose to send Wilkie to, a young defender like Ben Paton or Coffield has to step up and play on a big name. So that’s the dilemma.

“They have (emergency) Dylan Roberton and Logan Austin as two other talls in the system or potentially even Jarryn Geary could go back into the backline and take someone.”

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:02am
George27 wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:16pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:14pm
George27 wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 7:12pm I disagree totally. He has flagged the issue weeks ago.

When my wife into early labour with one of our children, I was in the middle of a work meeting. The call came through, I told everyone I had to leave, and I did . Was present at the birth - the most wonderful moments of my life. Way more important than my job . Same for Jake. Best wishes to him and his family.

Completely different.
Not at all. He is an employee , just as I was . His primary duty is to his family, not to you or me. Let the man live his life.
That's fine. If he wants to live his life he can hand back his wages. He is a selfish coked up turd who is becoming a Father. I feel sorry for the kid.
Ridiculous post.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:57am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:40am

Boom Boom

Speak for yourself Curly.

That says more about you than Carlisle.

It's 2020, the age of the dinosaurs is over.

My kids are 16 and 14. No chance my wife would expect me to miss a AFL final to be there. Think for yourselves rather than being sheep.