A Missed Opportunity. Big Time.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Missed Opportunity. Big Time.

I think we are being soft of the coaches too.

We were so thrilled to make it....

Why were our boys so bullied and soft at the start? Why weren’t they made hard ‘n ready?

Were we told to exercise restraint and let them blow off some steam after their defeat a week earlier?

We were unlucky, no doubt....but we could have done better.

We may have lost by ten points...instead we copped a walloping.

And I know it sounds inhuman, but we couldn’t get Carlisle to stay...or his Mrs and kids to come up.

OK ...whatever.

Gears managed it.

Carlisle 1
St Kilda 0

Selection too.

WTF Is Kent doing there?

Where was Dunstan? Robbo?

Gears?

Why is so much placed on Howard’s back?

Vent, vent.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yes ... re vent , vent

i needed a break from it myself for a few days

i was all effed up on being really proud ‘n really pissed off at the same time

lol

was stretching my ability to cope

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We need to make the most of our opportunities this time and starting hopefully in next year’s finals.

How we missed a flag between 2004-2011 still astounds me and we cannot let it happen again.

The flag window isn’t open that often - not for a club like ours.

Max King needs to spend summer honing his set shots for a start. He needs to get on top of it now before it dogs his entire career. Get Stewart Loewe to tell King what Peter Hudson told him.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I thinks Ratts with Rath & co behind him are very good tactically. Against Richmond we simply couldn't put any score board pressure on. I dont see it as a missed opportunity quite the opposite with the games and finals the team played.

Im confident we have a very bright future ahead.

Josh Battle
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 1:54pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:07pm Richmond had a host of speculative shots at goal in the first half that all sailed through. They couldn't miss. Typically, those shots have a 50% return, yet they had a 100% return. Everything they did worked in that first half. In general play we were with them and at times had control of things. Centre clearances killed us, though. Jones and Steele were held by their opponents at every one of them, and not just a slight tug of the jumper. If the umpires had been vigilant, we would have got a few free kicks in the centre. When we went forward we missed sitters, unable to put scoreboard pressure on them. Unfortunately, Marshall's centre bounce ruck work was his poorest for the year.

A lot of people want to paint the performance as a disaster. I didn't see it that way at all. We weren't far off. Prior to the game we lost three key players and they gained one. If those three players had taken the field and Josh Battle was fit, I reckon we would have taken them.

To lambast our team's effort, and to take such a negative view of it is a cliched reaction that gets pretty tiresome.
Cliched reaction? Get a grip.
You have provided your opinion on the players who represented the club in the semi final, as well as your opinion on the list and your opinion on the coaches and I think from the replies, you'd have to acknowledge that most people don't agree with you.

I reckon you should suck it up and cop the feedback.

As far as writing bland opinion pieces, there's nothing wrong with that. Wear it as a badge of honour. It's ok to be mediocre. You won't be the first or the last journo to have carved out a career filling newspapers with daily content that is clichéd

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 7:48pm I thinks Ratts with Rath & co behind him are very good tactically.
Based on what?

older saint
SS Life Member

Sometimes the opposition are just better. more experienced in the situation, and at a different position in the "Premiership clock".

Anyone who critical of Carlisle for a personal decision much bigger than football either has never had kids, or has a different set of priorities .

Our backline - Howard (64 games, 24yrs old ), Coffield (36g, 20), Clark(47g, 21) Wilkie (41g,24) Savage (165g 29) Geary (204g 32) - Ave 92g, Av Age 25
Richmond - Grimes (169g 29), Broad (68g, 27), Astbry (136g, 29), Baker (40g,22), Houli (218g 32), Short (90g, 24) - Ave 120g, Ave age 27

That alone shows a 1 - 2 season in experience on average and that's just the defenders. I hazard to say the forward line would look similar and mids as well.

Yes missed some chances but always felt Richmond had us covered.

damienc
Club Player

:D
Josh Battle wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 8:22pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:07pm Richmond had a host of speculative shots at goal in the first half that all sailed through. They couldn't miss. Typically, those shots have a 50% return, yet they had a 100% return. Everything they did worked in that first half. In general play we were with them and at times had control of things. Centre clearances killed us, though. Jones and Steele were held by their opponents at every one of them, and not just a slight tug of the jumper. If the umpires had been vigilant, we would have got a few free kicks in the centre. When we went forward we missed sitters, unable to put scoreboard pressure on them. Unfortunately, Marshall's centre bounce ruck work was his poorest for the year.

A lot of people want to paint the performance as a disaster. I didn't see it that way at all. We weren't far off. Prior to the game we lost three key players and they gained one. If those three players had taken the field and Josh Battle was fit, I reckon we would have taken them.

To lambast our team's effort, and to take such a negative view of it is a cliched reaction that gets pretty tiresome.
You have provided your opinion on the players who represented the club in the semi final, as well as your opinion on the list and your opinion on the coaches and I think from the replies, you'd have to acknowledge that most people don't agree with you.

As far as writing bland opinion pieces, there's nothing wrong with that. Wear it as a badge of honour. It's ok to be mediocre. You won't be the first or the last journo to have carved out a career filling newspapers with daily content that is clichéd

mcadam05
Club Player

Well Im licking my lips for 2021 where we are going too bring that game style too a indoor stadium 😍 for what 12 13 14 games

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I was talking to an old mate last night, a former Saints reserves player from the 50's and top level country player and coach. He said to me StKilda had pulled off the greatest and cheapest recruiting coup in history this year. He said this could win the Saints a flag.

Paddy Ryder.

We agreed any chance the Saints had of beating Richmond went pear shaped with 90 seconds to go in the Elimination Final.

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 1:15pm :D
Josh Battle wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 8:22pm

You’re a good sport damienc. I think my expectations going into the game were different to yours.

Everyone’s opinion is valued and your op helps generate discussion. That’s what forums are for

asiu
Saintsational Legend

We agreed any chance the Saints had of beating Richmond went pear shaped with 90 seconds to go in the Elimination Final.
the proverbial barn door certainly
decided to shut in our face

cop this
and that
and for good measure that as well
then play a hardened mob without umpires support

sort of hang in
(but not really)

suck it up
learn

work harder

Lady Luck will smooth our Way
into the Big Day when the timing is Ours

‘n that wasn’t this season.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.