The Caldwell conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Caldwell conundrum

SaintJohno wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:00pm I would imagine that given the salary cap has not even been agreed by the players assoc. it would be a very hard time to negotiate right now. AFL argued for a 30% reduction in salary cap today (around 4mil out of 13.1) which would have made the clubs, players and their association do a collective vomit in their mouths.
The dramatic changes to the financial landscape will rapidly emerge about 30 seconds after the final siren on GF day.

The administration style controls on the assisted clubs are going to create a seismic imbalance and inequality that will hand the independent clubs an even greater unfair advantage.

I don't think we are going to be allowed to make the god father offers from our supoosed war chest that keeps getting reported.

And with the real possibility of 2021 also being an Asterisk year due to COVID restrictions continuing the AFL are crapping themselves at the thought of having to borrow more money to sustain the game.

This year's hub bill alone is $60 million.

Not a good time for players to be putting their hands out for mega deals. And we haven't even seen how hard the recession is going to grow yet. Many players could be dragged back to the same reality of average Australians and just be thankful they have a job.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

In 1987, the TV rights were worth $40 million.

This was never going to end well. It just needed a prick.

I've heard a rumour and I'm not sure if it's true, but the AFL are keen to rationalise a few of the Melbourne clubs. Something was mentioned on FC the other night but I believe the thinking is more advanced than that. The AFL are keen for us to merge with the dogs. Like I said, I'm unsure if it's true and I hope it's BS.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’ve been hearing how hub life
is set to continue next year

3 x revolving hubs of 6

footy the new way
might be here to stay

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:46am
SaintJohno wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:00pm I would imagine that given the salary cap has not even been agreed by the players assoc. it would be a very hard time to negotiate right now. AFL argued for a 30% reduction in salary cap today (around 4mil out of 13.1) which would have made the clubs, players and their association do a collective vomit in their mouths.
The dramatic changes to the financial landscape will rapidly emerge about 30 seconds after the final siren on GF day.

The administration style controls on the assisted clubs are going to create a seismic imbalance and inequality that will hand the independent clubs an even greater unfair advantage.

I don't think we are going to be allowed to make the god father offers from our supoosed war chest that keeps getting reported.

And with the real possibility of 2021 also being an Asterisk year due to COVID restrictions continuing the AFL are crapping themselves at the thought of having to borrow more money to sustain the game.

Not a good time for players to be putting their hands out for mega deals. And we haven't even seen how hard the recession is going to grow yet. Many players could be dragged back to the same reality of average Australians and just be thankful they have a job.
Oh, look out, another Secret Vortex ‘guarantee’!

Please explain how some clubs will be allowed to spend their salary cap while others can’t, even though this is not affected by individual clubs financial position, and is 100% funded by the AFL equally.

I won’t hold my breath :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:36am

Please explain how some clubs will be allowed to spend their salary cap while others can’t, even though this is not affected by individual clubs financial position, and is 100% funded by the AFL equally.

Things are definitely changing though big time, you can't deny that.

And Vortex is right, you just can't keep borrowing, especially against steeply declining revenues in all areas. The AFL will be forced to change it's business model.

I don't think we have seen even 10% of the economic fallout from this pandemic and I'm not just talking about footy.

I think many people are deluding themselves if they think we are just going back to normal.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:49am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:36am

Things are definitely changing though big time, you can't deny that.

And Vortex is right, you just can't keep borrowing, especially against steeply declining revenues in all areas. The AFL will be forced to change it's business model.

I don't think we have seen even 10% of the economic fallout from this pandemic and I'm not just talking about footy.

I think many people are deluding themselves if they think we are just going back to normal.
But what does that have to do with the apparent uneven distribution of the salary cap?

Of course the world will be different, but the AFL is in a great position compared to a lot of its peers. I don’t think it got anywhere near the initial borrowing threshold it secured at the start of the season either, which is a positive.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No idea. You brought that up with Vortex.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:49am

This is what I think too. The economic hardship hasn't even started and footy is going to be hit hard financially, especially grass roots clubs.

The AFL will by now have started planning a contingency for 2021 and the real possibility that after summer COVID-19 may return with vengeance and may not be able to afford to fund hubs like it has this year. This pandemic is a long way from being over and the extent of the current economic impact is like you say, probably not even at 10%.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Worse in the prison State, I fear. ACT malls have been back to normal since the start of May.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:17am No idea. You brought that up with Vortex.
Yep, it is just another random claim with no evidence he throws out there and then refuses to clarify when challenged.

Classic Secret Vortex :D

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How good is Caldwell?
The way he is being spoken about on here, in a couple of threads, it's like us aiming to get Judd. Is he that good?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:22am How good is Caldwell?
The way he is being spoken about on here, in a couple of threads, it's like us aiming to get Judd. Is he that good?
I feel sorry for Bytel, before this season and right up to his 2nd game, I actually thought Bytel was the
offfspring of Judd and Dusty.

Now it seems Jye is in fact the biological offspring of Judd and Dusty and Bytel may be cut from the list due to not having Judd and Dusty DNA.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bytel is just going to get better and better.. reminds me a bit of Greg Williams at Carlton way back- clean hands, strong in tackles, doesn't lose his feet.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No, will not based on exposed form. But has talent yes and so let us hope that he can be another Steele for us should he join us. .

But we are also talking about a player who will say cost a latish first round pick.

That Caldwell has yet to announce his decision does make me more than a tad nervous. Means that GWS and/or Dons must be serious options for him still. Though it may be just that his manager is trying to maximise his contract size and this may hinge on AFL announcements on lists going forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 2:06pm
No, will not based on exposed form. But has talent yes and so let us hope that he can be another Steele for us should he join us. .

But we are also talking about a player who will say cost a latish first round pick.

That Caldwell has yet to announce his decision does make me more than a tad nervous. Means that GWS and/or Dons must be serious options for him still. Though it may be just that his manager is trying to maximise his contract size and this may hinge on AFL announcements on lists going forward.
That pretty much sums it up I reckon. I think that there's a heap of players - pretty much everyone other than top-liners like Cameron etc - at all clubs whom are waiting on the list sizes and salary cap announcements before things shuffle on much further. I don't see Caldwell as being different to that. E.g. we've got Ben Paton and Jake who are as yet, not re-contracted.

The thing about Caldwell is that he was a highly rated junior who went pick 11 in an uncompromised draft. Whilst his senior form is not really exposed; his junior form certainly was. And that's why this year is different - I'd rather spend our 1st rnd pick on a kid who was a very good junior and has been developed with other great mids than use it on an APS/AGS kid who hasn't played for a year. After all the father/son and academy rubbish of this year - pick 11 would likely be 16-ish anyway. There's a fair chance our 15 will be 20 by the time our turn comes around. I can't see how Jye would be a worse player than when he's drafted so, our first pick would seem about right price-wise.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Correct!!!! I have heard the "assisted" clubs will only be allowed to pay 80% (maximum), of the salary cap. This will be in operation for the next 5 years apparently and then increasing by 5% each year until it gets back to 100%. So in other words, we will be disadvantaged for the next 9 years.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

ATM the ITK on BF are still confident Caldwell is heading our way - which would be a major positive. All the experts rate him very highly.

The other rumour growing is that Adam Treloar looks likely to be pushed out of Collingwood so they can shake his salary cap and that Gags is sniffing around.

The other player who is a bit of a smokey is Jarrod Brander a developing tall from WCE. Ex Melbourne boy who apparently we have made enquiries about.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 3:46pm ATM the ITK on BF are still confident Caldwell is heading our way - which would be a major positive. All the experts rate him very highly.

The other rumour growing is that Adam Treloar looks likely to be pushed out of Collingwood so they can shake his salary cap and that Gags is sniffing around.

The other player who is a bit of a smokey is Jarrod Brander a developing tall from WCE. Ex Melbourne boy who apparently we have made enquiries about.
If we pay all of Treloar's wage then the Filth should accept our future third round pick for him. No way should we offer anything more than that.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Jeremy Cameron has nominated Geelong. I hope Richmond now beat them by 100pts.

longtimesaint
Club Player

This free agency is damaging to the competition as these top players walk to the power teams for nothing!
Their original team is compensated but the team getting the player doesn’t even have to pay a draft pick.
This happened with Lynch and looks like being repeated with Cameron.
It’s going to be the likes of Richmond and Geelong that are able to stay at the top to the detriment of the rest of the competition.

One year will be our year
CarlD
Club Player

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference losing Cameron will make to the GWS salary cap position. Hopefully Caldwell decides that he wants to come home to the Saints regardless as he will probably feel he is still down the pecking order in their midfield options.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wish Caldwell would just say yeah or neah so we can move on...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The FA system is a load of s***.

The AFL need to fix it big time.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 6:49pm The FA system is a load of s***.

The AFL need to fix it big time.

Yes the biggest flaw of FA is that the club that gains the FA does not have to pay the trade cost to get them, and if their is a compensatory pick to the club that lost the player, that all clubs chip in.

So Cats could win the flag, and the Saints and all 17 clubs pay the trade cost to get him to the Cats.

It should be that if a club gains a FA (given the player to swap to the club of their choice, that that club gaining him should pay a points cost determined by an AFL Panel to be that players fair worth.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Abbott on 360,reckons CAMERON going there is good for footy, or some such rubbish but that prick is a Geelong supporter.