Dan Hannebery - 2 weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dan Hannebery - 2 weeks

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 6:13pm
sunsaint wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 5:08pm all cool - Jones was also on the record saying he wanted out of sydney and wanted to come home
always did wonder if he would join his brother - but very glad we got him
Jones wanted to fulfill his dream of playing for the Saints.

And I think Dan will play Round 1 - or 2. I really want him right for the finals anyway - that's the end game. He was great in that final against the 'Dogs. I'm backing Hannebury in.
I agree.
If Hannas plays Rd 1, he'll be 'resting' in Rd 2.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I doubt Hannas will play round 1 . No match fitness would seem foolish to play A guy with his history with limited game time preparation IMO

realdeal
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 2:39pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 12:32pm
iwantmeseats wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:34am A complete bust at the time, whch was obvious to everyone.
Colossal waste of money.
So St.Kilda.
We all knew it.
Even the club.
We just have to keep massaging it in...in case the knots in our brows smooth out...

A case of having to spend the mullah....to square the ledger.....a punt...rather, an attempted torp...that went off the side...and up.
A mongrel punt. Agreed, but one of those that lobs into the lap of a team mate. Not a write off yet. The benefits of his experience, IP, leadership (on the track at least) training standards etc.

In the end, Lethers long term aim was to make RSEA Park a destination for good players / FAs. We've done well in that regard with Lethers, Ratts, Gubby and Gags involved.

Not all the big ticket players you bring in become successful, but our strike rate since Hanners was brought on board is excellent. The building of a list is a long game. So far, so good. Hanners may end up as "collateral damage" in the overall plan.

Who knows, he may still come good and play 2-3 years of solid footy. I suspect not, though. There is an omen. Hanners' and Hamill's names start with Ha. There's something in that for all of us, don't you think?
I tend to agree with this... hasn't worked but we had to have a crack under the circumstances. Normally id be very displeased but It's all for a bigger cause, front loaded contract, lets judge at the end of his time with us...

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's judge now.

Being in and out of the side is disruptive to the team.
We're better off having a reliable B or C grader in the side, in his stead.

It's a physical game - his body can't take it.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:46am Let's judge now.

Respectfully - I absolutely 1000000 x bazillion disagree with this. A team of reliable B & C graders got us nowhere north of 9th in the last 7 years. Flags used to be won by an even spread and a good bottom 5. It's now all about star power - no better example than the 2020 GF ... that was an even game except for that fella wearing 4 for the Tigers. Hanners coming back in against GWS hurt us not one iota. And he played very well in the Dogs final.

IMHO - having a good player come back into a team lifts those players around him. Hanners has demonstrable experience in being able to get it done when it counts under the hottest of heat.

Whilst I agree that it would be great if there was continuity in Dan's performance - a pinch hit from a gun when it counts is fine by me

Go you red, black & white warriors
aaron82
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 12:15pm
samoht wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:46am Let's judge now.

Respectfully - I absolutely 1000000 x bazillion disagree with this. A team of reliable B & C graders got us nowhere north of 9th in the last 7 years. Flags used to be won by an even spread and a good bottom 5. It's now all about star power - no better example than the 2020 GF ... that was an even game except for that fella wearing 4 for the Tigers. Hanners coming back in against GWS hurt us not one iota. And he played very well in the Dogs final.

IMHO - having a good player come back into a team lifts those players around him. Hanners has demonstrable experience in being able to get it done when it counts under the hottest of heat.

Whilst I agree that it would be great if there was continuity in Dan's performance - a pinch hit from a gun when it counts is fine by me

Absolutely 100% agreed. People forget how important Hannebery was in the bulldogs final particularly the first half. Coming in to pinch hit late in a season was never a disruption for Clark Keating or the gun Brisbane premiership teams. He was never fit except for when it counted at the pointy end

and that's the bottom line
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think continuity is an issue so much as... for me at least, I’m concerned about his ability to actually run out the match and not leave us a man down

The other issue is I think his performance overall has somewhat been exaggerated over the journey... he’s had two good games and a bunch of average ones. The question is are we better off pumping more games into a Bytel or perhaps Sinclair could have played earlier last season

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Xavier Clarke was a young, talented player who had to give the game away - because of the soft tissue injuries.

Why is Hanners who is similarly prone to soft tissue injuries any different at the twilight of his career - why do we need to accommodate him?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 1:32pm I don’t think continuity is an issue so much as... for me at least, I’m concerned about his ability to actually run out the match and not leave us a man down

The other issue is I think his performance overall has somewhat been exaggerated over the journey... he’s had two good games and a bunch of average ones. The question is are we better off pumping more games into a Bytel or perhaps Sinclair could have played earlier last season
That’s my impression too. Two good games.

Haven’t noticed back-to-back good games so I don’t know how we could even get into a place where we need the pinch hitter to come in for one ‘ golden game’ unless we acknowledge that it is indeed the B graders and C graders working hard with a good plan.

Given we had ‘no stars’ under Richo I think we did pretty much as expected, certainly no worse, except for some inexplicable dip towards the end of the ‘16 or ‘17 season.

If Hannas had come into that side in say ‘14/‘15, yes, if say he would have made a big difference.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 2:41pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 1:32pm I don’t think continuity is an issue so much as... for me at least, I’m concerned about his ability to actually run out the match and not leave us a man down

That’s my impression too. Two good games.

Haven’t noticed back-to-back good games so I don’t know how we could even get into a place where we need the pinch hitter to come in for one ‘ golden game’ unless we acknowledge that it is indeed the B graders and C graders working hard with a good plan.

Given we had ‘no stars’ under Richo I think we did pretty much as expected, certainly no worse, except for some inexplicable dip towards the end of the ‘16 or ‘17 season.

If Hannas had come into that side in say ‘14/‘15, yes, if say he would have made a big difference.
Yep exactly. Many overplay Dan's contribution on the field mainly I think because they're just so glad to see him actually out there!

I've never seen him play anything better than a good game for us. No great games, no dominant games, no BOG's. He plays his role, looks like a slightly better version of Ross.

Maybe that's because he hasn't been able to have a decent run at it, but again, that's the whole issue isn't it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Arrrrrgh
Nothing does my head in more than pointing to DHs game against the dogs (and then also concluding it was the reason we lost the following week)
He played two quarters and then we had to cover him
As a coach you would select him with the constant thought of having to swap a player to fill his spot.
Today's game is hard enough as it is & having to carry someone on the bench is not a luxury teams can afford anymore
Especially top teams
Especially in the middle
Especially in a final

Seeya
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You need guys like Hannebury in finals.
He proved that last year.
If he misses one (or two) matches in March, I can live with that.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah 8 games in August and September should cover it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Xavier Clarke was delisted because he had 3 knee recos

Isn’t Hannebery pretty close to the best aerobic athlete on the list, so unless he gets injured, why would he have difficulty running a game out? One of the better ‘gut runners’ in the game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:23pm Xavier Clarke was delisted because he had 3 knee recos

Isn’t Hannebery pretty close to the best aerobic athlete on the list, so unless he gets injured, why would he have difficulty running a game out? One of the better ‘gut runners’ in the game.
The fitter you are the more chance you have of blowing out your hammy. More running. More on field time. More unpredictable twists and turns.

He is only as good as his weakest link.

You can have a beautifully tuned, supercharged V12 Turbo in your car, but if it is connected to that whining old banjo diff from the EH, them wheels are gonna roll for a certain time...and then...ping!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 3:50pm absolutely correct about DHs remaining contract - it was always going to be a lengthy 5yr deal to pinch it for SFC & DH to sign him over
To say that we are then in the good books with their club for any future trades is a long bow - it is not the reason we got Jones - as SFC saw his disposal a liability on the tight SCG ground where accuracy is critical
That is not to say I am unhappy with his trade I am more on board with him at the saints than I am with DH
A major point about DH coming to us was his close personal friendship with Lethlean - and I would go as far as saying if he wasnt at the club at the time we wouldnt have gone down this path
I just need you to clarify DH's close personal relationship with Lethlean. What do you know?

The Billings Method
Club Player

Caro wrote of the "Xavier Old Boys'" connection. Other than that and a friendship between Lethers and DH's old man I don't think there is much of a connection.

Still, there:s no one who can concoct a patriarchal conspiracy better than Caro can. Poor old Brendon Donohoe.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:12pm Caro wrote of the "Xavier Old Boys'" connection. Other than that and a friendship between Lethers and DH's old man I don't think there is much of a connection.

Still, there:s no one who can concoct a patriarchal conspiracy better than Caro can. Poor old Brendon Donohoe.
Surprise surprise. Wilson went to a VAFA match and discovered that lots of influential rich people were there at once, watching Melbourne's best connected school's old boys team play. Why was she there?

The Billings Method
Club Player

Ask her. Looking for an elitist, white patriarchal conspiracy. Isn't it interesting she married into the club? 😂

Her kids benefiting from the elitist patrirarchy she so despises. Typically hypocritical leftard.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.