Tasmania. Why?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania. Why?

the tassy govt pays for the existing games

a dollar a head i think

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Left tas as a teen

Love going back for a holiday

Peaceful, beautiful and great folk

Anyone who bags Tassie are wankers imo

Passionate footy supporters who have

Baldock, Stewart, Reiwoldt, Lawrence, Howell
Just to name a few!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I love Tassie it is a great place to visit but there is no justification for giving them their own team beyond pure sentimentality. Put them in Hobart and you will get 15k to a game put them in Launceston and you will be lucky to get 10k. Tasmanian's already watch AFL so giving them a team does not make one more dollar from TV revenues. If there was money to be made there the AFL would have already given them a team but there isn't. They put teams in the Gold Coast and Western Sydney because they are population growth areas and as such have potential to grow the television market. It hasn't worked out as of yet but it is still potential. Tassie has zero potential for growth. It is a harsh reality but that is what the truth of the matter is.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I love Tassie it is a great place to visit but there is no justification for giving them their own team beyond pure sentimentality. Put them in Hobart and you will get 15k to a game put them in Launceston and you will be lucky to get 10k. Tasmanian's already watch AFL so giving them a team does not make one more dollar from TV revenues. If there was money to be made there the AFL would have already given them a team but there isn't. They put teams in the Gold Coast and Western Sydney because they are population growth areas and as such have potential to grow the television market. It hasn't worked out as of yet but it is still potential. Tassie has zero potential for growth. It is a harsh reality but that is what the truth of the matter is.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I love Tassie it is a great place to visit but there is no justification for giving them their own team beyond pure sentimentality. Put them in Hobart and you will get 20k to a game put them in Launceston and you will be lucky to get 15k. Tasmanian's already watch AFL so giving them a team does not make one more dollar from TV revenues. If there was money to be made there the AFL would have already given them a team but there isn't. They put teams in the Gold Coast and Western Sydney because they are population growth areas and as such have potential to grow the television market. It hasn't worked out as of yet but it is still potential. Tassie has zero potential for growth. It is a harsh reality but that is what the truth of the matter is.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What was the justification for GC and GWS

They get 5k to games and most of them are oppo supporters who’ve moved interstate

The justification isn’t crowd size - a tas team would get 20-25k btw

It’s what TAS have done for the game

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:22pm Left tas as a teen

Just to name a few!
Tassie is a beautiful place, financially can't afford an AFL team without significant government investment, initially in the stadium and then through life costs.

Also would be financially responsible to consolidate the current franchises during uncertain economic times before further expansion.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Again

Can GWS or GC or StK for that matter

Afford an AFL team?… North???

Btw
Why can’t TAS afford an AFL team?

It’s true they can’t afford a 500M stadium which they are being held to ransom for?!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:22pm Left tas as a teen

Just to name a few!
'Lived there for three years in the 60s. 18 when I went there, but had to leave my car in Melbourne, Drinking age was 21 but at age 20 when luckily my marble didn't drop for the draft. Too young to drink but not to young to die.

But as I was still in their sights, HP companies wouldn't lend me money to buy a car. They were betting draftees had poor chances of surviving Vietnam.

Hated working in the Commonwealth Bank and hated not having a future.Working conditions were appalling and a century behind Victoria

I used to laugh when Tasmanians had to compare everything with similar things on the Mainland and theirs had to be bigger and better. Huge inferiority complexes if you ask me.

Tasmanians called people like me mainlanders and there was mutual dislike.

Sorry BM but calling someone who critises the State, a wanker shows that the locally born have never changed. :roll:

I know that you don't give a f*** but I can't let that go without a rely.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Tassie deserves a team.

Two teams would be ideal, to take advantage of the North-south divide. The Tassie derby would be fantastic and would be watched by many across the country, including by those generations of ex-pats who have left for browner pastures on the mainland.

But that won't happen and it is pretty easy to understand why. Ironically, the 200 million bucks sunk into GWS and Gold Coast so far might pay for five Tassie teams!

The population is decentralized and sparse ..It kinds looks like Vistoria in 1900. But key point is that game attendance does not matter unless it is embarrassing. It is all building a narrative and a legacy and Tassie has a huge head start over Gold Coast etc.

Tassie footy has really fallen off in the last 20 years. We have a little plant we are not watering, despite the AFL games there, which are also a good idea.

I hope they get their team.

I don't care about Gold Coast. Perhaps I will, in a Leyland Marina kind of way. The way some things became cult classics after they failed to sell.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 4:34pm Again

Can GWS or GC or StK for that matter

Afford an AFL team?… North???

Btw
Why can’t TAS afford an AFL team?

It’s true they can’t afford a 500M stadium which they are being held to ransom for?!
It's not a case of Tasmania being able to afford an AFL team, they can't, it's AFL money that will prop up any Tassie team and there are many club presidents already agreeing the numbers don't stack up.

I think it makes sense to hold off and consolidate the comp as it stands while we navigate the next 5 or so years with regards to the state of the global economy, and consolidate the franchise teams and at least see if they can start to deliver some success. Can't have too many lemons up in the air all at once you'd think.

I think CQ touched on it, it's a TV product so the AFL need a new stadium to support Tassie as a TV product and attract mainland talent to the team.

The current grounds and facilities are country league standard so will be hard to sell to prospective players.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why can’t they afford a team?

Cost analysis has been done an presented

Unlike the GC or GWS (again StK for that matter!) they will be self sufficient and not rely on the AFL

Sponsorship
You do realise sponsorship for a Tassie team does not have to from Tassie (although Cadbury or Cascade would be good)

The state has 500K

Hobart 200K

Pretty sure they would be able to Support a team - better than GC or GWS or North

The North south rivalry over blown
It exists where it needs to - in intrastate sports
Ie any northern team is supported vs southern teams and visa versa. It even exists NW Coast teams vs Launceston teams

But the whole state gets behind state teams ie/cricket and basketball

Ask any Tasmanian what Shield or BBL team they follow
Regardless of where they are from!

I think mainlanders struggle to give Tasmania enough credit as they have a SUPERIORITY complex!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Vortex

Have you been to Bellerive stadium or UniTas stadium?

They are superb grounds
One is a Test cricket standard venue
The other has been described as the best surface in the country!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 5:43pm Why can’t they afford a team?

Unlike the GC or GWS (again StK for that matter!) they will be self sufficient and not rely on the AFL

Sponsorship
You do realise sponsorship for a Tassie team does not have to from Tassie (although Cadbury or Cascade would be good)

The state has 500K

Hobart 200K

Pretty sure they would be able to Support a team - better than GC or GWS or North

Ie any northern team is supported vs southern teams and visa versa. It even exists NW Coast teams vs Launceston teams

I think mainlanders struggle to give Tasmania enough credit as they have a SUPERIORITY complex!!!
Well of course they do. :wink: :wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sponsorship

The state has 500K

Hobart 200K

Correct BM

Vortex's analysis doesn't make sense.

I can see why some would thank him for it , but has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I agree the North-South thing can be overcome, Just look at how fast the Eagles and Crows boomed.

the state of the grounds is also not a concern, it is an excuse used for leverage.
We play on all sorts of grounds at the right sponsor price.
tassie is known the world over too. It is an iconic place.

Don't worry about people bashing Tassie. They have an agenda here that isn't much to do with footy, it is not even personal either. They just need 'someone' to target. A supply. Something about cold air though! And Tassie can be cold!

Some people are blind to the money being lost on the Cold Coast, but that is also OK. Let them be blind to the money lost on St Kilda too. As a Melbourne based club. And remember the AFL is a corporation and we are its branch offices.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 5:51pm

Sponsorship

The state has 500K

Hobart 200K

Don't worry about people bashing Tassie. They have an agenda here that isn't much to do with footy, it is not even personal either. They just need 'someone' to target. A supply. Something about cold air though! And Tassie can be cold!

If you have never lived there, you are not qualified to comment on others motives AFAIC.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 5:46pm Vortex

Have you been to Bellerive stadium or UniTas stadium?

They are superb grounds
One is a Test cricket standard venue
The other has been described as the best surface in the country!
Doesn't matter if I've been there or not, enough information in the public domain to assess.

So why doesn't the AFL think they can be part of the plan?

Do you think a potential Tassie team needs a new stadium to be viable or do you think one of the existing grounds makes them just as viable?

From what I understand they don't suit good TV production, specifically night time, as well as the current soft cap arms race has forced most clubs to invest in new "state of the art" facilities and from what I understand they are anything close to the modern standard most clubs have invested in.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They want a road block

We are currently playing AFL games in TAS and have been for 20 years

If it’s good enough right now… why not going forward?

AFL agenda
Opposition clubs agenda

Make it impossible for Tas

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And it doesn’t matter if you lived there

If you’re not born there - you’re not Tasmanian

Therefore it stands to reason you don’t feel like a proud Tasmanian

I grew up there. Haven’t lived there for 30 years

And still call myself Tasmanian and will barrack for a Tassie team as soon as they come in!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nothing surer than death , taxes and Tassie getting an AFL team.

take it to the bank

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 8:03pm And it doesn’t matter if you lived there

If you’re not born there - you’re not Tasmanian

Therefore it stands to reason you don’t feel like a proud Tasmanian

I grew up there. Haven’t lived there for 30 years

And still call myself Tasmanian and will barrack for a Tassie team as soon as they come in!
Fair enough B.M. but I just recon it's a numbers game overlaid with a healthy dose of politics.

The AFL and Government have a symbiotic and complex relationship.

The AFL is exempt from paying tax but expects the tax payer to stump up the cash for all of it's infrastructure, all the meanwhile operating as a purely profit driven entity that accepts rivers of cash from alcohol and gambling arrangements and insanely huge TV rights deals, just to name the biggest of deals in large stable of profitable revenue sources.

The tax exemption has been in place since 1936 and was originally agreed on the basis local facilities would be provided and participation encouraged.

Not all is as it seems me thinks but yeah, the stadium is a big part of it and there are some presidents who have made waves, one of them just departed the scene in a swift manner.

And then there are the salaries the executives pull in and the barracudas picking off their share around the edges.

My personal opinion is it's too early for another team anywhere, make sense to be conservative and consolidate for about 5 years and then see where things are at then.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

should have been one before the NSW and Qld extra teams BM.

The AFL were being arsehelos in not having a team in one of the most avid Aussie rules states if not the most avid outside of victoria.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 8:46pm should have been one before the NSW and Qld extra teams BM.

The AFL were being arsehelos in not having a team in one of the most avid Aussie rules states if not the most avid outside of victoria.

irrelevant if the politics isn't right when you are asking for potentially an absolute minimum of $1 billion dollars of tax payer money to build a stadium.

the politicians need to make sure they don't lose favour if the public think schools and hospitals need the money first, especially against the backdrop of a possible global recession.

it's a delicate situation, if the average football punter actually understood it is wrong for the AFL and it's "partners" to benefit from not having to pay $1 dollar in tax and then not direct all of the money they make back into the game then they might put pressure on the AFL to pay for the bloody stadium with its own cash...that is why they got the tax exception in the first place.

And the politicians can't push back on the AFL too hard, too much to risk in terms of political party donations and other complexities.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Correct

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 9:15pmCorrect
always