How have we gone backwards so far?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ape_Man
Club Player

Re: How have we gone backwards so far?

Jacks Back wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:40pm
Ape_Man wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:37pm We traded like a premiership threat.

So maybe we have gone forward too fast.

So fast, in fact, that we broke the space-time continuum and skipped our premiership and came out at another rebuild.
We got great service out of Frawley and McKernan in those premiership years though :lol:

f****** gold.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The recruiters may just surpass those high points on the 2nd of June, the mind boggles, unless they elect to pass on all of our picks.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Quickly and easily, not even a yelp.

The Peanut
Club Player

Last year we took the game on and were great to watch - the players were enjoying themselves, not the full bottle yet, but good. Then in the off-season the team structure was somehow stuffed up and we had injuries, but worst of all we stuffed up the 'take the game on' spirit somehow.

There appears to be no leadership on and off the field. I thought Hill was drafted as a silky outside runner for the wings, but he is send to places outside his size and skill set, but worst of all there appears to be no structure or team coordination for him to fit him into. Last night he stuffed up some opportunities, albeit under pressure, but he moved on some clean ball a few times and when he did the receiver just stood there like a stale bottle of piss and watched the opposition man up - then bomb to a contest. Max King had no real good opportunities but all the same he doesn't look happy and excited at all, in fact it looks like he's deflated, but he still works - I could go on.

Lots of people blame recruitment which is fair enough but how did that kill the spirit? WTF is Rats and crew actually doing all week and where are they taking us ... to Tasmania?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

That's what the Ratten and the coaching staff are there to do ... generate some indomitable spirit.

If they can't do that then GTFO.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 10:52pm The problem is the club itself drank its own bathwater and believed the hype. We overrated ourselves...the people who work there are supposed to have more perspective and actually drive high standards, not just pat each other on the back
Spot on

Posted very similar early in the season.

saint4life
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we weren't actually that good last year. We adapted to the hub better than others, took it a bit more seriously.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You think??!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teflon,

He’s a third year player - injured in year 1

Naughton is only a year older than Max, an I can assure you, he had that rig last year!

My issue, is that why is Max
Who trained at Moorabbin throughout his draft year, trained throughout his first year when he didn’t play.
And has now had 2 full pre seasons

That’s 4 years in the gym! In an elite environment

And he’s built like a twig, and gets pushed off the footy with ease
Has a poor tank and hasn’t learned a goal kicking routine that works! In 3 years!!!

BTW
I would have drafted him every day of the week and twice on Sundays

However
His brother (leads more) Bailey Smith and Connor Rozee are easily performing better

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 10:36am Teflon,

He’s a third year player - injured in year 1

Naughton is only a year older than Max, an I can assure you, he had that rig last year!

My issue, is that why is Max
Who trained at Moorabbin throughout his draft year, trained throughout his first year when he didn’t play.
And has now had 2 full pre seasons

That’s 4 years in the gym! In an elite environment

And he’s built like a twig, and gets pushed off the footy with ease
Has a poor tank and hasn’t learned a goal kicking routine that works! In 3 years!!!

BTW
I would have drafted him every day of the week and twice on Sundays

However
His brother (leads more) Bailey Smith and Connor Rozee are easily performing better
Have a look at who the Dogs have around Naughton to take some of the heat off???? We have a 3rd tall option in Membrey and 3 smalls supporting King???
His brother leads more - have **** look at how the ball comes into our forward 50 ???? It’s usually bombed or under enormous pressure cause the mids get smashed - I’d argue Gold Coast had more system than us last night
Kick King all you like - he’s not the issue in fact I’d go as far to say that this Ratten bull shyte of players learning to play “multiple roles” over summer has confused the shyte out of many coupled with the fact our defensive game plan is dreadful. It’s either pressure/attack (fine when we turn up) or if the opposition get on a roll we are stuffed.
Let’s face facts the list has gaping holes - our next flag tilt isn’t on the back of Steele or Billings.....it’s on the back of Marshall, Clarke , Coffield.
We need to get back into the top end of the draft , take done beltings over the next 2 years to properly challenge in 2-3 years with that core. Get B King get 1-2 gun midfield recruits in ...offer up some talent now to make that happen as we are in no mans land
Max King at Sydney would be developed playing second or 3rd banana in the forward group at St Kilda he’s bashed in year cause he’s not the messiah. Just dumb.
Problem with the approach above is it relies on a coaching panel recruiting team list management team to deliver.....I suspect no one trusts ours to be able to do that

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We had a power forward to take the heat off Max

We traded him for pick 30

And he played alongside Naughton last night and is second in the Coleman.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Question?

Why is his identical twin brother (who is not as talented)

Sitting on 28 goals and double the amount of Max in a similarly positioned team??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:40pm When a team lacks drive and determination, then you look at the coach as it's not just one or two players.
Unfortunately, you are correct.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 5:04pm We had a power forward to take the heat off Max

We traded him for pick 30

And he played alongside Naughton last night and is second in the Coleman.
So that’s Max Kings fault?????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 5:06pm Question?

Why is his identical twin brother (who is not as talented)

Sitting on 28 goals and double the amount of Max in a similarly positioned team??
Answer : whose had a full additional 12 months in the game ???
I thought you were some kinda guru?? Like it’s not that hard....

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:29pm Our losses to North and Freo and then the smashing against Geelong last year should tell all that our ‘brave intensity’ is no match for class, structure and a well balanced machine..we cannot redline the little four-cylinder Morris engine and expect it to beat a a well-oiled Mercedes Diesel over the long run..

We need to make a game plan based on our skill set..Just see Geary losing his feet and going to ground twice in the first quarter. See King in the bench for half - most? - of the quarter. Why? We have a long way to go..Can me accept that if we timed the machine to perfection, we’d be like a Brad Scott North Melbourne. Honest, competitive and never a push-over, but in all probability, a team that finishes 8th, 10th, 6th, 9th etc.
I couldn' t for the.life of me work out what the f*** King was.doing sitting on.the bench. The ball hadn't been.in.the forward line so.he could not have over extended himself

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:29pm Our losses to North and Freo and then the smashing against Geelong last year should tell all that our ‘brave intensity’ is no match for class, structure and a well balanced machine..we cannot redline the little four-cylinder Morris engine and expect it to beat a a well-oiled Mercedes Diesel over the long run..

We need to make a game plan based on our skill set..Just see Geary losing his feet and going to ground twice in the first quarter. See King in the bench for half - most? - of the quarter. Why? We have a long way to go..Can me accept that if we timed the machine to perfection, we’d be like a Brad Scott North Melbourne. Honest, competitive and never a push-over, but in all probability, a team that finishes 8th, 10th, 6th, 9th etc.
I couldn' t for the.life of me work out what the f*** King was.doing sitting on.the bench. The ball hadn't been.in.the forward line so.he could not have over extended himself

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:00pm It’s pretty straight forward IMO
Stop playing injured players
And turn over players that consistently don’t make the grade
And stop recruiting injured players and players who are c grade fringe dwellers.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 8:52pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:00pm It’s pretty straight forward IMO
Stop playing injured players
And turn over players that consistently don’t make the grade
And stop recruiting injured players and players who are c grade fringe dwellers.
Would be a good start.