Junction Oval - Worth a thought? (Again)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junction Oval - Worth a thought? (Again)

saynta wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 11:43am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:02pm
Beno88 wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 5:47pm Nice old ground, but has zero relevance to every St Kilda supporter under 70.

Gallipoli has no relevance to anyone under 120!

That's really offensive.

My grandfather was shot in the head at Gallipoli and survived.

He was much loved by me and my siblings.

I also know 4 other people whose grandfathers served in that hell hole and who would also find your statement f****** offensive.

The JO is, was, and will always be a dump.

Take it from someone who spent many miserable wet and cold Saturday afternoons there.
I apologize for causing any offense.

It was not meant to be a sleight on our veterans. We had a great uncle killed in WW1 in our family.

What I was trying to convey is that statements like St Kilda as a locality, or the Junction Oval, which was our ground and will be part of our DNA as a club is still relevant to us. When people say it is only relevant for old people people, then I use Gallipoli by way of illustrating that just because something is old, it is absurd to suggest that it is somehow irrelevant to us as fans. It is intangible maybe, but it is part of our story and it is relevant IMO.

Our hertage going back to 1874 is something I am proud of. My mate, who is a Liverpudlian and fierce Everton fan, still winces when I remind him that St Kilda is slightly older!

I will have to get better at using arguments in a politically sensible way.

Sorry again, for causing any offense.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We should be trying to remove ourselves from much of our history and build a new history that actually yields

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 10:30pm
saynta wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 11:43am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:02pm
Beno88 wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 5:47pm Nice old ground, but has zero relevance to every St Kilda supporter under 70.

Gallipoli has no relevance to anyone under 120!

That's really offensive.

My grandfather was shot in the head at Gallipoli and survived.

He was much loved by me and my siblings.

I also know 4 other people whose grandfathers served in that hell hole and who would also find your statement f****** offensive.

The JO is, was, and will always be a dump.

Take it from someone who spent many miserable wet and cold Saturday afternoons there.
I apologize for causing any offense.

It was not meant to be a sleight on our veterans. We had a great uncle killed in WW1 in our family.

What I was trying to convey is that statements like St Kilda as a locality, or the Junction Oval, which was our ground and will be part of our DNA as a club is still relevant to us. When people say it is only relevant for old people people, then I use Gallipoli by way of illustrating that just because something is old, it is absurd to suggest that it is somehow irrelevant to us as fans. It is intangible maybe, but it is part of our story and it is relevant IMO.

Our hertage going back to 1874 is something I am proud of. My mate, who is a Liverpudlian and fierce Everton fan, still winces when I remind him that St Kilda is slightly older!

I will have to get better at using arguments in a politically sensible way.

Sorry again, for causing any offense.
No worries mate.