Clarkson to the Saints in 2023?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarkson to the Saints in 2023?

So Clarkson has confirmed he is taking a year (2022) out of football - Blues & Pies out of contention

Buckle up!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 7:58pm So Clarkson has confirmed he is taking a year (2022) out of football - Blues & Pies out of contention

Buckle up!! :twisted:
If we win the flag next year I reckon Ratt's will get a contract extension so Clarko might have to settle for assistant coach at the Saints 2023 :wink:

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:59am Unfortunately this post sums up StKilda, barring a couple periods , ever since I have followed them. I believe the club influences the mindset of supporters.

What type of supporters (except those beaten to a pulp, like us) instead of talking up hope for '22 , we are talking about what happens if we have another bad year and who can replace the coach. This is the problem Stkilda have - no expectation of success.

We had it for a little bit in the 2000's, however that was eroded again by poor management , which flowed through to poor recruiting , coach selection etc. This put us back in the mentality of making finals being a surprise not an expectation. I honestly believe until this changes we will continue to be the club with the greatest loss %, and continue to hope to fluke the next flag.

Hawthorn is a great example of building expectation , going through a rebuild but making good off field decisions ( pre 2021). They see a down year as a step on the path to success rather than a down year being a start again position.

Not having a crack at the author or those who commented and I know off topic I know so apologies - By the way Clarko will be coaching GC be it 2022 or 2023 - and dont worry about soft cap , like they did with Plugger the AFL will make sure he gets paid.

Not me bro.

I'm realistic. I actually spend far too much time assessing players. I determined ( using super powers of both arrogance & jackassery) before the season began we would finish in 10th but it was possible to hit a high 8 or low 12....verify it in my posting history if ye dare.

I spoke of exactly what positions we needed to succeed, those positions were out areas of flaw all season. We must fill those positions to get anywhere in 2022. We did not even attempt to address it in 2021 and verily I say unto we shalt eat the dung of the dog if we don't change.

YET.....

I spoke hopefully and full expectation that anything might happen.

But I secretly hoped my dreams would be munted with a massive reality mallet like every fecking season since 1986 when I first met the old girl in red white and black. No matter what I "feel" she stabs me in the back everytime and I love it!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 11:14pm Not me bro.

I'm realistic. I actually spend far too much time assessing players. I determined ( using super powers of both arrogance & jackassery) before the season began we would finish in 10th but it was possible to hit a high 8 or low 12....verify it in my posting history if ye dare.

I spoke of exactly what positions we needed to succeed, those positions were out areas of flaw all season. We must fill those positions to get anywhere in 2022. We did not even attempt to address it in 2021 and verily I say unto we shalt eat the dung of the dog if we don't change.

YET.....

But I secretly hoped my dreams would be munted with a massive reality mallet like every fecking season since 1986 when I first met the old girl in red white and black. No matter what I "feel" she stabs me in the back everytime and I love it!!!
What an eloquent summation of being a rusted on St.KFC tragic.
I particularly enjoyed, "munted with a massive reality mallet". Sums up most of our seasons really.

May we not eat the dung of the dog next season. May the football gods verily layeth upon Essendon, Carlton and West Coast mountains of dog dung, copiously redolent with offensive aroma.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 11:14pm
older saint wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:59am Unfortunately this post sums up StKilda, barring a couple periods , ever since I have followed them. I believe the club influences the mindset of supporters.

What type of supporters (except those beaten to a pulp, like us) instead of talking up hope for '22 , we are talking about what happens if we have another bad year and who can replace the coach. This is the problem Stkilda have - no expectation of success.

We had it for a little bit in the 2000's, however that was eroded again by poor management , which flowed through to poor recruiting , coach selection etc. This put us back in the mentality of making finals being a surprise not an expectation. I honestly believe until this changes we will continue to be the club with the greatest loss %, and continue to hope to fluke the next flag.

Hawthorn is a great example of building expectation , going through a rebuild but making good off field decisions ( pre 2021). They see a down year as a step on the path to success rather than a down year being a start again position.

Not having a crack at the author or those who commented and I know off topic I know so apologies - By the way Clarko will be coaching GC be it 2022 or 2023 - and dont worry about soft cap , like they did with Plugger the AFL will make sure he gets paid.

Not me bro.

YET.....

Out of interest then...
What are the areas that you prioritise?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:33am

Not me bro.

YET.....

Out of interest then...
Firstly - I wasn't to flattering regarding Ratts. It was a bit harsh. I really like him. But I felt he didn't have the strategic chops and the rare developmental needed to take our team and extract the very best. Unfortunately, 2021 is no indication of his ability with the shocking rub of injury and drop in form for players many thought or hoped would excel ( Coffield, Hunter, Hill, etc)

I predicted 7-8 wins easily and if the wind was right we might sail away and hit 9-10 wins. I bluntly said our line up was not good enough to be top 4. I state we need 85% of the lads to have 40- 50 games TOGETHER to be a unified force. The lads currently get challenged, panic because they don't really trust one another and then black out and forget everything...thats normal with a mix of new trades, low game played, rookies and oldies hanging in there.

I highlighted that Hill would NOT be a saviour but be a steady influence, that is needed, probably unseen in defense. I stated there was a huge chance Rowan would fail to imitate 2019 and struggle.

I stated our forward line without Bruce would struggle massively as he was the guy to take a KPP dsfender and either bring it to ground to advantage or grab a mark. Leaving the job to a newbie and Membrey ( who is accurate but runs extremely hot and viciously cold and is not a #2 but a strong #3). Would ultimately fail. The trial by fire for King would hit spectacular and miss hard at times and required 2nd KPP as a tall was required for support and allow King to develop and to be effective long term.

Forward:
We need an identified 2nd tall forward.
If they're on the team then play them.Who? Don't see one on the team.

Mid: good progress on some trades but need big $ and big balls to get our AA. If Hill stays in defense and Crouch performs as I suspect ( average but steady) we are in trouble with clearances and quality ball movement.

How: trade out for picks or combo deals Ross, Sinclair, Dunstan, Langlands, Lonie, Marsh, Savage, Joyce, either Clavarino or Austin, Abbott. IF Billings get a sweet trade across the line...do it.
Geary 50/50, Brown to retire.

We must get a strong Ruck if its Albaskis lets get him playing with Ryder...we must thin labour the days when Ryder is gone. He's not in our next Grand Final. Ryder needs a compliment asap!!!

Forward line would be brutal with Marshall FF, Membrey FF, King CHF and mystery Forward TBD!

Mid: we need 2 types - one: a hard nose bull who gets the pill under and over and can slot it outside or accurately drop it 20-30 metres to CHF
we need a classy speedster who actually fights
for the ball and upon winning it run like the wind slicing and dicing then accurately dropping it into the forward line...full game burst speed is the key words.

Defense: Carlisle is done. I think his back is much worse than we are being told and has been for 2 years. IF he plays it won't be enough. We have some great new talent but probably shouldn't let Heart go until we have established a solid back line. We need one more KPP in defense a big 199 cm+ lad to intercept marks, accurately kick and incredible closing speed.

Of course its just my opinion and I can be wrong but seeing I said this at seasons start I feel confident it was a close assessment.

Go Sainters!!

The end lol.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 4:10pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:33am

Not me bro.

YET.....

Out of interest then...
Firstly - I wasn't to flattering regarding Ratts. It was a bit harsh. I really like him. But I felt he didn't have the strategic chops and the rare developmental needed to take our team and extract the very best. Unfortunately, 2021 is no indication of his ability with the shocking rub of injury and drop in form for players many thought or hoped would excel ( Coffield, Hunter, Hill, etc)

I predicted 7-8 wins easily and if the wind was right we might sail away and hit 9-10 wins. I bluntly said our line up was not good enough to be top 4. I state we need 85% of the lads to have 40- 50 games TOGETHER to be a unified force. The lads currently get challenged, panic because they don't really trust one another and then black out and forget everything...thats normal with a mix of new trades, low game played, rookies and oldies hanging in there.

I highlighted that Hill would NOT be a saviour but be a steady influence, that is needed, probably unseen in defense. I stated there was a huge chance Rowan would fail to imitate 2019 and struggle.

I stated our forward line without Bruce would struggle massively as he was the guy to take a KPP dsfender and either bring it to ground to advantage or grab a mark. Leaving the job to a newbie and Membrey ( who is accurate but runs extremely hot and viciously cold and is not a #2 but a strong #3). Would ultimately fail. The trial by fire for King would hit spectacular and miss hard at times and required 2nd KPP as a tall was required for support and allow King to develop and to be effective long term.

Forward:
We need an identified 2nd tall forward.
If they're on the team then play them.Who? Don't see one on the team.

Mid: good progress on some trades but need big $ and big balls to get our AA. If Hill stays in defense and Crouch performs as I suspect ( average but steady) we are in trouble with clearances and quality ball movement.

How: trade out for picks or combo deals Ross, Sinclair, Dunstan, Langlands, Lonie, Marsh, Savage, Joyce, either Clavarino or Austin, Abbott. IF Billings get a sweet trade across the line...do it.
Geary 50/50, Brown to retire.

We must get a strong Ruck if its Albaskis lets get him playing with Ryder...we must thin labour the days when Ryder is gone. He's not in our next Grand Final. Ryder needs a compliment asap!!!

Forward line would be brutal with Marshall FF, Membrey FF, King CHF and mystery Forward TBD!

Mid: we need 2 types - one: a hard nose bull who gets the pill under and over and can slot it outside or accurately drop it 20-30 metres to CHF
we need a classy speedster who actually fights
for the ball and upon winning it run like the wind slicing and dicing then accurately dropping it into the forward line...full game burst speed is the key words.

Defense: Carlisle is done. I think his back is much worse than we are being told and has been for 2 years. IF he plays it won't be enough. We have some great new talent but probably shouldn't let Heart go until we have established a solid back line. We need one more KPP in defense a big 199 cm+ lad to intercept marks, accurately kick and incredible closing speed.

Of course its just my opinion and I can be wrong but seeing I said this at seasons start I feel confident it was a close assessment.

Go Sainters!!

The end lol.
Obviously a touch dated but pretty much spot on on all major points

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't get Clarkson in 2023 if only because it means 2022 could be interchanged with any year from 2012 to 2019. God help us. Those years are getting harder & harder to endure.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We played finals every year from 2004-2011 (except 2007)

Every team has their chance at the top

Unfortunately our rebuild was started by the flawed logic of Chris Pelchen
Despised by everyone at StK who worked with him!
We tried to rebuild through the draft whist GC and GWS were starting.

Plus we picked the wrong players with
Pick 3 2013
Pick 18 2013
Pick 19 2013
Pick 1 2014
Pick 21 2014
Pick 22 2014

Those six players should be the core of the current finals team

2015 we took the right player

2016 the wrong player again

2017 we had Picks 7 & 8 and got them pretty right

2018 absolutely right