Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Re: Dunstan

I’m reading some of these posts here and scratching my head.
You commit to a player that is not in your future plans for a 2 to 3 year contract and it clogs up your list in available spots and dollars.
I went hard and early on Dunstan when he was very popular by some in this forum and here he is at 26 in his prime delisted for zero.
He had too many deficiencies and through natural list evolution it was inevitable in my view he would meet a brick wall in opportunities.
Pace- none
Hands- average
Foot skills- Poor to Average
Decision making- Average
Too many minuses to invest in a 26 year old to take you to a Premiership.
He polarised opinions at times but in the end I can see why they let him go and I shared this view a good 3 years ago so not surprised.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t get how a system functions well when a player that has at least some value gets to leave for free

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 2:29pm A pretty clear example of appalling list management.

Say what you like about Dunstan's kicking or attitude, but what he managed to do in the second half of the season was exceptional.

To not have him signed up already is dreadful. And if he was never going to sign - why were we playing him ahead of Bytel etc? Literally, those are your options.

But as usual, the club will leave us in the dark, wallowing in their own inability to understand development (telling him before R1 that he wasn't in the plans?!) has ensured our cycle of mediocrity continues.

The guy had the tools to be a Matt Priddis clone and we couldn't figure out how to make it happen. Now it's happening, he's out the door. Our football department has so much to answer for but as usual, they never do.
I disagree if he wasnt contracted for this year he would have been delisted last year, so IMO its a smart move. He hasnt been officially delisted as yet just told he isnt getting another contract.

In todays game you simply can not carry players who cant run and cant kick! Yes he could win a contested ball, but midfielders need to have other tools and Dunstan has zero.

In any event I hope some other club gives him another chance, if not he has got the most out of what nature gave him.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 25 Aug 2021 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:14pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:09pm Is better and more valuable than a lot of players on our list.
A lot of those players are also gone. It's a fair bet the rest are considered more valuable by the saints. :roll:

You can't blame Dunstan for going or the Saints for letting him go.

Far better to get games into Bytel.
Agreed.

damienc
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:36pm
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:32pm Assume we are delisting him to make it easier for him to find a new home?

Because now we don't get any draft compo :(
Perhaps that is it. A salary cap dump
I think you are right. There have been reports that the club wants to be aggressive again in this trade period. I think Ross and Lonie will be following him out the door.

Unconfirmed reports suggest if Luke Parker can't get what he wants at the Swans he will come to St Kilda.

I stress these are unconfirmed rumours but we would need to make salary room for players like Parker who will want big money.

damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 3:34pm I don’t get how a system functions well when a player that has at least some value gets to leave for free
We do get some value. What we were paying him which can now go towards getting someone who we need more than Luke.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 2:29pm A pretty clear example of appalling list management.

Say what you like about Dunstan's kicking or attitude, but what he managed to do in the second half of the season was exceptional.

To not have him signed up already is dreadful. And if he was never going to sign - why were we playing him ahead of Bytel etc? Literally, those are your options.

But as usual, the club will leave us in the dark, wallowing in their own inability to understand development (telling him before R1 that he wasn't in the plans?!) has ensured our cycle of mediocrity continues.

The guy had the tools to be a Matt Priddis clone and we couldn't figure out how to make it happen. Now it's happening, he's out the door. Our football department has so much to answer for but as usual, they never do.
He played 12 games this season:

- 3 of them where very good games,

- 3 of them were typical Dunstan games meaning he played ok for 1 or 2 quarters,

- 6 of them were atrocious.

hotdish
Club Player

I think there is alot of misinformation being utilised in all things Dunstan.

He has not been delisted. He is a free agent which infers two rights for the player and club.

The club has the right to not extend him an offer. Dunstan can sign with anyone, and depending on the length and salary of the contract, the club may receive compensation.

It is clear in my mind, that the club is keen to allow him to walk (not delist) and get token compensation for him, somewhere between pick 30-45, given the saints currently do not hold a second round pick.

Great clubman and in the right situation he is a good player. As an inside player with poor disposal, is the right player for us, given we play 14-15 games indoors at Etihad annually? No.

Would he excel at a club that plays the majority of their games outdoors, with some of those games in wet, dewy, conditions where inside players excel? For sure.

He would do well to sign with a club whose game plan entails stoppages. He would excel at the Gold Coast (when Witts is fit) or Sydney. Even Fremantle given Cerra is leaving.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:19pm I think there is alot of misinformation being utilised in all things Dunstan.

He has not been delisted. He is a free agent which infers two rights for the player and club.

The club has the right to not extend him an offer. Dunstan can sign with anyone, and depending on the length and salary of the contract, the club may receive compensation.

It is clear in my mind, that the club is keen to allow him to walk (not delist) and get token compensation for him, somewhere between pick 30-45, given the saints currently do not hold a second round pick.

Great clubman and in the right situation he is a good player. As an inside player with poor disposal, is the right player for us, given we play 14-15 games indoors at Etihad annually? No.

Would he excel at a club that plays the majority of their games outdoors, with some of those games in wet, dewy, conditions where inside players excel? For sure.

He would do well to sign with a club whose game plan entails stoppages. He would excel at the Gold Coast (when Witts is fit) or Sydney. Even Fremantle given Cerra is leaving.
I can't see a top 4 capable club picking him up. He is damaged goods with the question of why he was told he was gone in round 1 his baggage.

I can however see a club at the absolute bottom of a rebuild picking him up to be used as a mature bodied battering ram to provide safe passage for young and underdeveloped bodies through and around stoppages.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:16pm I understand that Dunstan is now a Free Agent, so very little trade compensation to us.

At 26 yrs, he has played well in the last half of this year. I wonder if it comes down to a list choice between he and Seb Ross?
I hope it comes down to a choice between Billings, Ross and Dunstan and only Billings stays. Couldn't care less whether Dunstan is de-listed. Clubs know what other players are worth. We'd be very luck to get a late 3rd round choice for Dunstan if he wasn't de-listed.

Also - has the club actually announced that Dunstan won't get a new contract or is just idle gossip and speculation at this stage?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

damienc wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:08pm
bigcarl wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:36pm
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 1:32pm Assume we are delisting him to make it easier for him to find a new home?

Because now we don't get any draft compo :(
Perhaps that is it. A salary cap dump
I think you are right. There have been reports that the club wants to be aggressive again in this trade period. I think Ross and Lonie will be following him out the door.

Unconfirmed reports suggest if Luke Parker can't get what he wants at the Swans he will come to St Kilda.

I stress these are unconfirmed rumours but we would need to make salary room for players like Parker who will want big money.
If we were able to somehow divert Ross and Dunstan's salary to Luke Parker and obtain his services - I'll probably do a bit of excitement wee in my pants.

Go you red, black & white warriors
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

His last 3 games, kicking efficiency 28%. Therein lies the problem, and its plagued him from the very start.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 3:10pm Dunstan the last remaining evidence of one of the worst trade decisions for Stkilda in this Century

McEvoy for Savage and picks which were Goddard and Dunstan.

We since then endured :
Longer
Hickey
Holmes
Pierce
McKernan
Hunter

Marshall and Ryder being the exceptions.
I think we eventually got two picks from the dorks. 18 and 19 from memory as well as savage, we drafted Dunstan and Acres..all gone now , while McEvoy is the hawks captain.

You can blame that pelican piece of s***. .

repta
Club Player

What exactly did Dunstan do? There is a story behind this.

He has been amongst our best for the second half of the year. Can turn it over, but at least he gets his own ball. Has been our best stopper.

We better get something for him.
When was the last player to get top 10 in BF aged in his prime and given away for free?

In the last 10 games he would most likely be top 5 in BF

Yes slow, has clangers (Iwho doesn't at Stkilda) but can find the ball. There are plenty of quicker players that cant seem to find it ..... (not naming anyone ... out on the wing ....) .

Seriously did Dustan kick Rattens dog or something?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

As Tony74 mentioned: can't take instruction. That and a final straw turnover. Coaches can be funny like that.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 2:46pm Was Dunstan a part of our future...no
Was he going to win the saints a premiership..no.
Should he have continually been picked ahead of a developing Bytel...no.
Who has more upside Bytel or Dunstan...Bytel.
Was there room in the saints team for Dunny and Bytel...obviously not.
Did Dunstan earn his keep these past two years...no.
Dud Dunstan's stuff ups cost us the game against Geelong....They didn't help.
Are St Kilda right in delisting Dunstan....yes.
Geary says hello.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 5:09pm
Geary says hello.
:roll: we were discussing Dunny not the co captain.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Geary says hello.
Can Dunstan defend a dangerous small/medium forward ?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 5:17pm
Geary says hello.
Can Dunstan defend a dangerous small/medium forward ?
Definitely not. Dud way of the mark ..again.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Whatever Dunstan was or was not....he was a Sainter and now he's gone.

I wish well and hope he is able to improve greatly, so much so we add one more plum crunch to our "wtf did we do that for" list choices punch list.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Dunstan played some incredible stinkers and also had a few amazing games that I still recall.

2015 & 2017 we his best overall seasons with the short run in 2021 pretty decent.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So the main point here is that ....... we are still in a position to get some compensation? ..... which of course is dependent on his new contract at another club

BTW Luke thanks for your efforts in the RW&B

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the mcevoy pick actually allowed us to get acres, not dunstan. we picked them at 17 and 18. hence if we had not done the trade we would have selected only one. we selected dunny first, ergo, it was most likely acres who we would've passed on.
not that it makes much difference - even worse in fact given acres did less for the club and gave two fewer seasons.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

A proven ability to get the hard ball and nullify a talented opponent are traits that many clubs value highly.

Very disappointing to see him go, I wish him luck and expect him to do very well at another club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 8:49pm the mcevoy pick actually allowed us to get acres, not dunstan. we picked them at 17 and 18. hence if we had not done the trade we would have selected only one. we selected dunny first, ergo, it was most likely acres who we would've passed on.
not that it makes much difference - even worse in fact given acres did less for the club and gave two fewer seasons.
I thought pick 17 and SAVAGE. For the big boy. Pick 18 was our compensation pick. Hence Dunstan and Acres,