How many games will Carlton win under Voss?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: How many games will Carlton win under Voss?

hamill

edit ... old news

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 6:43pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 12:40pm Any guesses are pure guesses at this stage.
No real evidence or data.

But I am worried we'll go backwards and the Blues will finish 2-3 spots above us.
When I say 'backwards' I mean we'll be a bit better than 2021, but we'll still get belted by Dees, Dogs, Bombers, etc.
And all other teams will get better.
So they'll progress more than us.
I don't see how we'll go backwards. I can't see the pre-season panning out the same way as last year with the players being so ill-prepared for the season when it comes because the focus was on strategies rather than work on the track. We'll have an easier fixture than last season, and we couldn't possibly have the same number of injuries and players unavailable as last season either.

We have a new conditioning and fitness coach, as well as some well credentialled assistants. Ratts is an experienced coach not a rookie, and we would hope to see improvement in the fifty gamers on our list. 2021 was definitely a development year (not be design, but it turned out that way) and we have found some new defenders, a couple of young midfielders incluidng one who started finding the goals by the end of the season, and a new forward who looks very promising indeed.

A lot of our players had interrupted starts to the season, including Crouch, King, Ryder, Jones, Hannebery, Marshall, and Geary, and Paton never played. We never had Roberton as he had retired, and then Frawley got injured before round 1 as well. The beginning of the season was a car wreck and never got going as Gresham went dowwn in Round 3 never to play again, and it took Dunstan time to find form to break in to the side.

Then we finally find a little form and the lockdown arrives right on schedule with several of our most important players becoming unavailable due to compelling family reasons or having to quarantine because they visited a Covid-19 exposure site, thereby ensuring we lost several matches we might otherwise have won. In a way we did very well to win 10 games when you look at it like that.

As for being belted by the Dogs and the Bombers, no way will that happen two years in a row. We'll be ready for them in 2022. Melbourne didn't belt us this year, and haven't belted us anywhere since about 2004.They'll probably beat us though. I'll give you that, but they will be the hunted next year, and that will be a new experience for them.
Oh Samurai...you are being so one-eyed...I love it but...

Don't be so kind.
Our season was dreadful. It was a huge pile of stinking manure.

Saying stuff like we won't get beaten up next time by WB or whatever...it won't happen twice...On what basis ...very optimistic...

But we 'showed signs' as the phrase goes, but highlighting stand-out players won't do the trick. Sinclair was fantastic down back, but our backline was worse than 2020, not better!

I thought we would dip this year and I expected us to lose most of the first ten games. BUt i didn't see the 110 point kinda variety.

Anyway...Carlton might be better. Our rise will depend not only on us, but on the mediocrity of others. Still we can only control one part of that equation..so come on Saints!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 9:37pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 12:40pm Any guesses are pure guesses at this stage.

But I am worried we'll go backwards and the Blues will finish 2-3 spots above us.
When I say 'backwards' I mean we'll be a bit better than 2021, but we'll still get belted by Dees, Dogs, Bombers, etc.
I don't see how we'll go backwards. I can't see the pre-season panning out the same way as last year with the players being so ill-prepared for the season when it comes because the focus was on strategies rather than work on the track. We'll have an easier fixture than last season, and we couldn't possibly have the same number of injuries and players unavailable as last season either.

We have a new conditioning and fitness coach, as well as some well credentialled assistants. Ratts is an experienced coach not a rookie, and we would hope to see improvement in the fifty gamers on our list. 2021 was definitely a development year (not be design, but it turned out that way) and we have found some new defenders, a couple of young midfielders incluidng one who started finding the goals by the end of the season, and a new forward who looks very promising indeed.

A lot of our players had interrupted starts to the season, including Crouch, King, Ryder, Jones, Hannebery, Marshall, and Geary, and Paton never played. We never had Roberton as he had retired, and then Frawley got injured before round 1 as well. The beginning of the season was a car wreck and never got going as Gresham went dowwn in Round 3 never to play again, and it took Dunstan time to find form to break in to the side.

Then we finally find a little form and the lockdown arrives right on schedule with several of our most important players becoming unavailable due to compelling family reasons or having to quarantine because they visited a Covid-19 exposure site, thereby ensuring we lost several matches we might otherwise have won. In a way we did very well to win 10 games when you look at it like that.

As for being belted by the Dogs and the Bombers, no way will that happen two years in a row. We'll be ready for them in 2022. Melbourne didn't belt us this year, and haven't belted us anywhere since about 2004.They'll probably beat us though. I'll give you that, but they will be the hunted next year, and that will be a new experience for them.

Don't be so kind.

Saying stuff like we won't get beaten up next time by WB or whatever...it won't happen twice...On what basis ...very optimistic...

But we 'showed signs' as the phrase goes, but highlighting stand-out players won't do the trick. Sinclair was fantastic down back, but our backline was worse than 2020, not better!

I thought we would dip this year and I expected us to lose most of the first ten games. BUt i didn't see the 110 point kinda variety.

Anyway...Carlton might be better. Our rise will depend not only on us, but on the mediocrity of others. Still we can only control one part of that equation..so come on Saints!
I am going by exposed form of us against the Dogs - since 2015 we match up well against them. The last time they beat us by anything like that margin was 1978.
And a big ask to assume that the Bombres will repeat their effort of this year as well. We have been 50/50 against them since 2004, so I highly doubt that they are going to put on a footy masterclass against a very unfit St Kilda side again next season.
Melbourne - yes, they may beat us, but they haven't given us a hiding or anything like it since 2004 or something, so again, I'm going by exposed form. Remember 2020 we went within millimetres of beating them when Petracca's last goal was touched just over the line and even that was questionable.

We missed key personnel all year, and not just due to injuries. I think our midfield is better than it is given credit for, it is just that this year it hasn't been out there, not consistently anyway.

But I agree that this year was very disappointing and probably due to an ill conceived pre-season training program if you believe the rumours and the discussions surrounding this. And Carlton could be better than us next season, they have an excellent midfield and some really talented forwards, but then we have some very good players as well. I think Carlton will win 11 games in 2022.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021 1:42pm

Don't be so kind.

I am going by exposed form of us against the Dogs - since 2015 we match up well against them. The last time they beat us by anything like that margin was 1978.
And a big ask to assume that the Bombres will repeat their effort of this year as well. We have been 50/50 against them since 2004, so I highly doubt that they are going to put on a footy masterclass against a very unfit St Kilda side again next season.
Melbourne - yes, they may beat us, but they haven't given us a hiding or anything like it since 2004 or something, so again, I'm going by exposed form. Remember 2020 we went within millimetres of beating them when Petracca's last goal was touched just over the line and even that was questionable.

We missed key personnel all year, and not just due to injuries. I think our midfield is better than it is given credit for, it is just that this year it hasn't been out there, not consistently anyway.

But I agree that this year was very disappointing and probably due to an ill conceived pre-season training program if you believe the rumours and the discussions surrounding this. And Carlton could be better than us next season, they have an excellent midfield and some really talented forwards, but then we have some very good players as well. I think Carlton will win 11 games in 2022.

So let’s call season 2021 a freak and less assume 2020 is a bench mark of where we are really at. Do you seriously see us finishing better than 7th next year and winning a final?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021 8:27pm

Don't be so kind.

So let’s call season 2021 a freak and less assume 2020 is a bench mark of where we are really at. Do you seriously see us finishing better than 7th next year and winning a final?
Yes, I do. A lot of the sides are very even. 2020 may even turn out to be a bit like 2006 was for Geelong. A blip which was a blessing in disguise. HIghmore, Byrnes, Connolly and Sharman wouldn't have got much of a look in if we'd had a good year.

Howard and Wilkie had very good years too. Gresham and Paton to have full seasons, King to explode. By the end of the season Bytel was kicking goals, and to have a midfielder who hits the scoreboard is a very important weapon to have.

Do you think the Doggies will be as good next year without Bruce available to do his thing? Cause I don't.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 02 Oct 2021 12:15am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021 8:27pm

I don't see how we'll go backwards. I...

Then we finally find a little form ....
Oh Samurai...

Don't be so kind.

Yes, I do. A lot of the sides are very even. 2020 may even turn out to be a bit like 2006 was for Geelong. A blip which was a blessing in disguise. HIghmore, Byrnes, Connolly and Sharman wouldn't have got much of a look in if we'd had a good year.

Howard and Wilkie had very good years too. Gresham and Paton to have full seasons, King to explode. By the end of the season Bytel was kicking goals, and to have a midfielder who hits the scoreboard is a very important weapon to have.

Do you think the Doggies will be as good next year without Bruce available to do his thing? Cause I don't.
Is Bruce no available in 2022?

Bruce was good, better than he ever was for us...i.e. he was good for several games on the trott.

Bruce isn't the lynch pin for the Dogs, but he helps. Brucey might be pushing it to get back to that form at this stage.

Well I like your optimism.
Highmore, Sharman etc. great cause for hope, but we really did have a number of players who plateaued, exposed their limits or fell away in '21.

Bytel
Ross
Coffield
Butler
Lonie
Kent
Long
Battle
Clark
Billings

Strangely, Dunstan was a revelation, but then we sacked him.

Then some of our bona fides didn't really explode,
Marshall patchy..still a superstar
Membrey finished well..worked hard but was diabolical in front of goal when the season was on the line

And then we have the ex-Sydney boys and their hammies.

If it all goes right...the Bullies won't hammer us by 110, but they might still get us.

We have a long, long way to go IMO. But things can turn quickly, especially if other teams get a few problems.

https://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/322 ... -best-game