Seb Ross Re-Signs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross Re-Signs

The_Dud wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 2:35pm Are we at all surprised that after shopping himself around no other club gave a serious offer?

No, not really.

Has become a depth player, with a full list he'll be borderline best 22, but unfortunately we don't often have a full list.
Not sure what you find wrong with Seb. Hard worker both ways links up tackles wells.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 3:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 2:35pm Are we at all surprised that after shopping himself around no other club gave a serious offer?

No, not really.

Has become a depth player, with a full list he'll be borderline best 22, but unfortunately we don't often have a full list.
Not sure what you find wrong with Seb. Hard worker both ways links up tackles wells.
No problems with what you have said here... however you need to add

"And then shanks some of his disposals HORRIBLY"

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 4:37pm

No, not really.

No problems with what you have said here... however you need to add

"And then shanks some of his disposals HORRIBLY"
Yep like Taylor Adam, Tom Libba Tom Mitchell and so on...... not many elite ball users round

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

No, not really.

The main thing I find wrong with him is that there are now so many other 'mids' ahead of him on our list. Also his disposal is ordinary and he is not damaging. I doubt you'll find another mid across recent history who kicks as few goals as Seb.

In 2022 'mids' ahead of him are:
Billings
Clark
Crouch
Gresh
Hannebery
Hill
Jones
Sinclair
Steele

And young players I'd play ahead of him are:
Bytel
Byrnes
Connolly

So yeah, nothing more than depth in my book.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Not in my best 22 anymore,but with our run of injuries will be a depth player next 2 years

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Well done Seb you will be a sainter for life now another 1 club player

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lack of respect is astonishing

Just imagine if he were actually a poor footballer?!

And I love the damning with faint praise

How about
Congrats Seb. Well deserved!

By the end of his contract he’ll be a 200 gamer and dual club champion (1 runner up)
Not a bad career for a depth mid

What was that about fringe players?!?!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 6:55pm Not in my best 22 anymore,but with our run of injuries will be a depth player next 2 years
Yep borderline
I’ll be p!shed if Ratts does a Hill this year and refuses to drop a name player for a kid and that’s Seb keeping a developing kid out cause we must improve and won’t with Ross in the side
It appears he’s been pushed from starting mid already so depth only for mine
Not interested in people suggesting disrespect rubbish - I’m after a flag.
The guys been extremely well remunerated when we were Shyte
Good sign his type are slipping down the batting order

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 8:55pm Well done Seb you will be a sainter for life now another 1 club player
Seb will be remembered as a decent fella with integrity ...unlike the turncoat Jack Steven

Stuv dumped on us and went to the Cats and also refused to play under Cho and therefore we lost all bargaining power when it was time to trade

minneapolis
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 11:18am He will play through the middle of the ground

Mainly wing, sometimes inside, sometimes tagging
He is really bad at tagging.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saints list manager James Gallagher said Ross had considerable off-field influence at the club.

"A lot of Seb's work goes unnoticed externally but … we recognise just how important he is to our side on a number of fronts," Gallagher said in a statement.

"Seb is an honest and genuine guy, who has been a very good player for a number of years.

"More recently, his versatility and willingness to play multiple roles for the team has become a really important aspect of his football.

"He's played a prominent role in developing the likes of Ryan Byrnes and Jack Bytel during the past few seasons, and we have full faith he'll continue to do that for many other young Saints."

......................So with Gears and Hannas...(and maybe also Seb) we are well stocked in the off field mentors department 8-) :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Bad at tagging?

Players he’s performed well against in the past

D.Martin
P.Dangerfield
M.Bontempelli

Struggled against
T.Kelly

Better opposed to bigger bodies, rather than quick Mids

Seb
Finished top 10 in the B&F every season since 2016

Interesting for a player not in the best 22!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 8:30am
Seb
Finished top 10 in the B&F every season since 2016

Interesting for a player not in the best 22!!!
Terrible logic.

Jack Steven WON the B&F in 2016 and 2018, why don't we get him back to the club, as apparently that means he's best 22 in 2022!?!

Post a depth chart of our mids, show us who you think Seb is better than.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 10:21am
saynta wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 10:18am
Selhurst Saint wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 10:15am I am very happy with this although I am sure I will be in the minority.
Well your minority is al least a minority of two. :wink:
Truth be told - not the biggest fan of Seb's disposal - but - I must say I do not understand the venom.

He is not the best user of the ball - however - if Seb is the #18 player on your list - you would have a pretty healthy list.

I just hope that he does not rest on his laurels as a couple of TBA's should not guarantee him game time.
Agree. The problem however is that he's comfortably inside the best 18 and that's a goddamn f****** indictment on our recruiters and list managers.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 12:26am
bangaulegend wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 8:55pm Well done Seb you will be a sainter for life now another 1 club player
Seb will be remembered as a decent fella with integrity ...unlike the turncoat Jack Steven

Stuv dumped on us and went to the Cats and also refused to play under Cho and therefore we lost all bargaining power when it was time to trade
I generally like a lot of your posts Scollop but I disagree here. Stuv is an uncomplicated bloke who just happens to be good at playing footy. He doesn't live and breathe it and unfortunately, once his life started falling apart in his late 20's (much of it of his own doing) - he moved closer to his home.

The absolute pox of the whole situation is that at the end of 2018 when he went to Richo and asked to be traded - Cho said no which ultimately led us to getting nothing for our best mid of the past 6 years. He didn't dump on us at all - not one bad thing was said by him about the club on his departure.

Contrast that with Dunstan's recent tantrum. Again - as is our want - we're the ultimate retainer of list cloggers and we should've shopped Dunstan 3 years when the potato might've had some currency.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 11:55pm
bergsone wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 6:55pm Not in my best 22 anymore,but with our run of injuries will be a depth player next 2 years
Yep borderline
I’ll be p!shed if Ratts does a Hill this year and refuses to drop a name player for a kid and that’s Seb keeping a developing kid out cause we must improve and won’t with Ross in the side
It appears he’s been pushed from starting mid already so depth only for mine
Not interested in people suggesting disrespect rubbish - I’m after a flag.
The guys been extremely well remunerated when we were Shyte
Good sign his type are slipping down the batting order
Bang. Play Connolly every game and Ross is his depth. One is an elite kick and can spread ... the other is Seb

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb can get the footy and defend

The other player is Connolly

BTW
Seb would smash Leo in a repeat running competition

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why don’t we get Jack Steven back?

He’s 32
He had some mental health problems and lost the passion for footy
He’s very much overweight
He left us and went to Geelong

Seb is 28
Just finished 7th in the B&F playing a completely different role
Is as fit as a trout

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 1:39pm Good. I have never understood how undervalued Seb seems to be in the eyes of some. There has been ridiculous speculation over the years that he would go to Essendon, based only on the fact that he is Tim Watson's nephew. My mother's parents and four sisters were all Collingwood supporters as where 19 of their 20 cousins. I have never felt the urge to start following The Filth just because of my relatives.

I am confident that Seb's third year of his contract will be triggered. A Saint for life, just like me! Onya Sebby.
Great post and one Seb richly deserves. To suggest a player who came 7th in the TBA is not in the saints best 22 is frankly, f****** ridiculous, but not unexpected on this forum.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 11:00am Seb can get the footy and defend

The other player is Connolly

BTW
Seb would smash Leo in a repeat running competition
Seb's not going to get any better; Leo is a baby with all the tools (most importantly - the ability to hit a target by foot and hence, and retain possession) and the future ahead of him.

As honest and upstanding as Seb is - Leo has way more upside.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I really think this needs to be empathized and restated.

From the age.com.au

Earlier on Monday, St Kilda announced that dual best and fairest winner Seb Ross had re-signed for a further two seasons. The midfielder was an unrestricted free agent after 10 years’ service with the club.

“We’re really pleased to have Seb recommit to the club,” St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said on the club’s website.

“A lot of Seb’s work goes unnoticed externally, but inside the four walls we recognise just how important he is to our side on a number of fronts.

“Seb is an honest and genuine guy, who has been a very good player for a number of years. More recently, his versatility and willingness to play multiple roles for the team has become a really important aspect of his football.

“He’s played a prominent role in developing the likes of Ryan Byrnes and Jack Bytel during the past few seasons, and we have full faith he’ll continue to do that for many other young Saints.

“We look forward to seeing what Seb can produce in the coming seasons.”

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

You know you're clasping at straws when the best things about are player you can say are "he's really fit" and "he's good during the week" :shock:

If Seb is in our best 22 next season then we will be a sign we are going nowhere.

Should be nothing more than depth.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 1:22pm I really think this needs to be empathized and restated.

From the age.com.au

Earlier on Monday, St Kilda announced that dual best and fairest winner Seb Ross had re-signed for a further two seasons. The midfielder was an unrestricted free agent after 10 years’ service with the club.

“We’re really pleased to have Seb recommit to the club,” St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said on the club’s website.

“A lot of Seb’s work goes unnoticed externally, but inside the four walls we recognise just how important he is to our side on a number of fronts.

“Seb is an honest and genuine guy, who has been a very good player for a number of years. More recently, his versatility and willingness to play multiple roles for the team has become a really important aspect of his football.

“He’s played a prominent role in developing the likes of Ryan Byrnes and Jack Bytel during the past few seasons, and we have full faith he’ll continue to do that for many other young Saints.

C'mon Saynta - of course that's what a club is going to say. It's not like Seb rejected FA without first shopping himself around - he had a look and found out exactly what the market thought of him.

As if a club is going to say "yeah, well - we're happy to keep him on for his experience after he couldn't find a deal to his liking at another club". And that's not limited to Seb too BTW - all clubs roll out the spin platitudes upon re-signing.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 2:18pm
saynta wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 1:22pm I really think this needs to be empathized and restated.

From the age.com.au

C'mon Saynta - of course that's what a club is going to say. It's not like Seb rejected FA without first shopping himself around - he had a look and found out exactly what the market thought of him.

As if a club is going to say "yeah, well - we're happy to keep him on for his experience after he couldn't find a deal to his liking at another club". And that's not limited to Seb too BTW - all clubs roll out the spin platitudes upon re-signing.

What if the money he was offered was basically what we were offering and that amount is an amount he is basically happy with ? Doubt you'd leave a club of ten years for the same.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully he's taken a significant pay cut compared to his previous contract. I don't mind having him around as a fringe/depth player but clearly we need to look to replace Seb in our best 22. He is a solid runner but his disposal is costly. I'd prefer to use guys like Byrnes and Connolly on the wings/half back. I think Seb is now a depth inside mid - first cab off the rank if we are missing Steele or Crouch.