Paddy McCartin a Swan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin a Swan

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 01 Feb 2022 7:25pm
mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 01 Feb 2022 4:54pm Be interesting to see if the slag .... oops sorry I mean Wag who dropped him as he was no longer on an AFL list , will be trying to hook up with him again .
You know her personally?
Everyone knows, status has absolutely NOTHING to do with eligibility. This inclusive society reserves the right to EXCLUDE and CANCEL anyone who suggests otherwise.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Since Reg Grundy retired the Swans have been looking for a 'solid' sort of fella to play on the big gorilla forwards

I think if he plays in the seniors and he gets regular games they will use Paddy in the backline.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 2:14am Since Reg Grundy retired the Swans have been looking for a 'solid' sort of fella to play on the big gorilla forwards

I think if he plays in the seniors and he gets regular games they will use Paddy in the backline.
Could the Swans be thinking more he is a replacement for Buddy who is possibly in his last year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

On recent form, he could be a hit man when needed.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Is that true his brother said, "He's retrained his brain." Or words to that effect? My tiny brain cannot comprehend that as you are either concussed, not concussed or lying to yourself & your club that you are not concussed.

I think the cross Paddy bares about being the #1 Pick has ultimately pushed him towards a foolhardy decision. One that I'm betting the AFL, the Swans and three teams of lawyers have played a part in.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm torn 3 ways on this.

I'm really happy the bloke gets another chance to play top level footy. He clearly 'had it' and was cut down through no fault of his own. Did everything he could to stay on the park but circumstances (not luck) were against him.

I'm also really upset that with so many repeat concussions, that anyone would be enabling him to play again. I'm not a doctor but reading enough about concussions and CTE to be worried. I guess he is that keen for footy that he'll risk his life for it. A bit like the racing drivers of the 50's and 60's.

Thirdly, I'm scared if he ends up being a premiership winning gun I will feel bad that we let him go for nothing.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 9:10pm I'm torn 3 ways on this.

I'm really happy the bloke gets another chance to play top level footy. He clearly 'had it' and was cut down through no fault of his own. Did everything he could to stay on the park but circumstances (not luck) were against him.

I'm also really upset that with so many repeat concussions, that anyone would be enabling him to play again. I'm not a doctor but reading enough about concussions and CTE to be worried. I guess he is that keen for footy that he'll risk his life for it. A bit like the racing drivers of the 50's and 60's.

Thirdly, I'm scared if he ends up being a premiership winning gun I will feel bad that we let him go for nothing.
I have no doubt that if he can avoid concussions he will become part of the Swans best 22.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds but I prefer our current forward set up, whatever that is exactly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Given his history, one or two knocks and it's all over. Sad, but I thinks that's where it sits. I hope I'm wrong.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 5:38pm Is that true his brother said, "He's retrained his brain." Or words to that effect? My tiny brain cannot comprehend that as you are either concussed, not concussed or lying to yourself & your club that you are not concussed.

I think the cross Paddy bares about being the #1 Pick has ultimately pushed him towards a foolhardy decision. One that I'm betting the AFL, the Swans and three teams of lawyers have played a part in.
"AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Former Melbourne Demon and Fremantle Docker Harley Bennell is poised to make a shock state-league return where it all began.

News Corp can reveal the 29-year-old has been training at WAFL outfit Peel Thunder since the club returned from Christmas break about a month ago.

First-year Thunder coach Geoff Valentine said the former No. 2 draft pick had been impressive on the track since joining in first session of the New Year at Rushton Park, highlighting his leadership, work ethic and voice around a developing group.

Valentine said while there was still “a lot of water to go under the bridge”, he was optimistic the Pinjarra product could feature early in the season if he kept progressing.

Stream every match of every round of the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
Harley Bennell is posed to make a WAFL comeback. Picture: Jono Searle/AFL Photos
Harley Bennell is posed to make a WAFL comeback. Picture: Jono Searle/AFL Photos

It would be a remarkable comeback for the talented-but-injury-prone midfielder, who made his senior debut for the Thunder as a bottom-aged colt back in 2009 before getting snapped up by Gold Coast the following year.

He will be a one-point player for the Thunder.

Bennell’s three-club, 88-game AFL career at the Dockers, Suns and Melbourne was plagued by persistent calf injuries and off-field issues.

Just as he appeared to be getting things back on track at the Demons in 2020, he was suspended and fined for a COVID-19 protocol breach in Queensland.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Love news? Stream news live & on demand with Flash New customers try 14 days free

Bennell then retired from AFL football and returned home to WA, where he played for his junior club Pinjarra in the Peel Football League alongside fellow ex-Dockers Hayden Ballantyne and Brock O’Brien.

He looks in great physical condition and recently won the best-on-ground medal in a star-studded charity match at Leederville Oval..
How McCartin made surprise concussion comeback

- Jon Ralph

Paddy McCartin is officially back on an AFL list after signing with Sydney as a rookie following a strong summer of training.

The former No.1 draft pick has made a rousing comeback from serious concussion issues that had derailed his professional AFL career.

McCartin had played as a forward and back for Sydney’s VFL team last year, but endured a lengthy suspension and the interruption of the season due to Covid issues.

At just 25, he now has a chance to again make his mark after being officially signed by the Swans as part of the AFL’s supplemental selection period rules on Monday.
Paddy McCartin played 35 games for St Kilda after being selected with the No.1 pick in the 2014 draft. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Paddy McCartin played 35 games for St Kilda after being selected with the No.1 pick in the 2014 draft. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

His brother Tom McCartin, a brilliant young Sydney defender, told the Herald Sun last year that Paddy had retrained his brain after a litany of concussion issues in his time at St Kilda.

McCartin has had to get AFL permission through its medical panel to progress back to AFL level through a series of stepping stones that included a return to training, then full contact training, then VFL football.

“He is back to normal and living a normal life. Twelve months ago if you listened to his (Triple M) interview he was struggling to do much at all, not leaving the house, and he’s back to living a normal life, which is great,” Tom McCartin said.

“He was seeing a bloke three times a week retraining his brain and I remember him saying it was harder than any pre-season training session he had done, so much concentration and it goes for five or six hours at a time, it’s pretty full on, but he’s only seeing him every three weeks so it’s going well.”
Paddy McCartin battled multiple concussions with the Saints. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty Images

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 9:57pm
Otiman wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 9:10pm I'm torn 3 ways on this.

I have no doubt that if he can avoid concussions he will become part of the Swans best 22.
Agree. And certainly at the SCG where the dimensions of the ground mean that elite aerobic traits are less important. I heard on the news last night that they're going to use him as a defender that can swing forward. That's a pretty useful commodity at the SGC where the ball comes in quickly ... at both ends

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Paddy played 5 or 6 games for the swans VFL side last year. mainly as a defender.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So last year he wasn't able to lead a normal life and now that he's over the concussion he wants to risk it all again? :roll:

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Feb 2022 4:58pm
mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 01 Feb 2022 4:54pm Be interesting to see if the slag .... oops sorry I mean Wag who dropped him as he was no longer on an AFL list , will be trying to hook up with him again .
She was one of Billy's kid's wasn't she?
I thought she was one of kids of the former WAG that traded in Billy for Garry.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 03 Feb 2022 5:52pm Paddy played 5 or 6 games for the swans VFL side last year. mainly as a defender.
Yes, and I was thinking it might be as a stopper, playing behind, that he might lessen the odds of a knock.

I imagine forwards running towards passes - on leads - are most susceptible to knocks. What do you think?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 03 Feb 2022 5:52pm Paddy played 5 or 6 games for the swans VFL side last year. mainly as a defender.
Yes, and I was thinking it might be as a stopper, playing behind, that he might lessen the odds of a knock.

I imagine forwards running towards passes - on leads - are most susceptible to knocks. What do you think?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you don’t think defenders can get KOd

Watch Harry Taylor get polaxed by Gardiner in that big mark vs Geelong

He was out before he hit the ground!!!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Tony Lockett knocked a couple out.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough.

So the verdict is concussion is an issue for chunky defenders as much as chunky forwards.?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

knowing our luck he'll blitz

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Concussion can happen to any player anywhere on the ground

Head hits are inevitable in AFL footy

You can go a whole season without copping one
Or
You can cop head knocks three weeks in a row or multiple times in a game

It just comes down to chance

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I will just wish him well.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 8:21am knowing our luck he'll blitz
Only in one or two games a year - One will be the Pride Game and the other the return fixture for said Pride game (if there is one)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 10:19am
Only in one or two games a year - One will be the Pride Game and the other the return fixture for said Pride game (if there is one)
why the pride game ?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 1:52pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 10:19am
why the pride game ?
Because it's against us.