Teams saints v toothless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Teams saints v toothless

Team selected lacks run

chook23
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 7:45pm Team selected lacks run
Tend to agree

Riewoldt out

Are we top heavy

saint4life
Gershwin
Club Player

Who can’t run?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The only real change is Byrnes and I think you will find we can cover his run. I think its a good move playing Hayes, Ryder & Marshall as it may force the Tigers to move Balta back to defence, which will give us some relief in our defence. Ratts said they trialled both going tall and short up forward and obviously Hayes got the nod.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Ryder will not last the match- still with a suss achilles.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 6:10pm Joyce is an A1 AFL player. A credit to himself & our player development. The crunch will come soon because another club is going to offer him big bucks. Hope he consolidates in our team by Paton moving up the ground. He, Paton, was on track to be a v. good mid before his unfortunate injury.
:shock: :?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who can’t run?!

Who can???

B.Hill, Sinclair one or two others….. then a lot of plodders

Balta, Bolton, Baker are quick!!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

That's our best 22 from the 26 under consideration. Byrnes likely medi sub. I don't think the 4 emergencies offer that much run to be honest.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 9:07pm Who can’t run?!

Who can???

Is Paton listed on a wing right?

What's the plan there?

In 2020 he took the game on and broke lines, can he provide run?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 9:44pm

Who can???

What's the plan there?

He was listed at half forward last week.
There just trying something new with the list.
But seriously, we all know Brad is the seventh defender and Paton will cover his man, while Brad plays off the defensive side of the wing, this will suit Richmond who will also send an extra back on us.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We are slight favourites now.

I don’t think that suits us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 6:09pm
bigcarl wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:20pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:17pm So it looks like Ratts thinks there is room for all three, RoMa, Paddy and Hayes.

I like, for no other reason Hayes gets more opportunity to adjust to the pace of AFL because Paddy is a week-by-week proposition and we need to know if Hayes permanent fixture and be thinking about life after Paddy.
Hayes played most of last season at chf in the SANFL I believe. Maybe he wants to make sure we have that position covered between him and Marshall as well as first and second ruck.
I know he's not a genuine ruck and he's no replacement for Paddy but what he could be is an AFL player and we just desperately need to stock up on bonafide AFL grade types especially ones that can gap fill in positions like the ruck while we are trying to recruit a genuine A grade tap ruckman.
The other thing is that, at a pinch, I reckon Marshall can play as another midfielder alongside Steele, Gresham, Sinclair, Crouch, Ross etc. He tends to play well wherever you put him. He’s just a strong, smart footballer. Traditional ruck rover, not bad below his knees at all and will certainly not be pushed around.

Perhaps we’ve gone in too tall, I don’t know. But at the same time structure is important. We need a physical presence in the forward line at all times to take the focus off King as a sole big target. Membrey is a very good forward, but he’s not quite what you would classify as key position. Lacks a bit of size and physicality that a Marshall, Ryder or Hayes can provide.IMO

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 10:09pm

Who can???

What's the plan there?

But seriously, we all know Brad is the seventh defender and Paton will cover his man, while Brad plays off the defensive side of the wing, this will suit Richmond who will also send an extra back on us.
So would you call him a line breaker? I seem to remember being impressed with his run and carry and taking on the play in 2020?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 11:38pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:17pm So it looks like Ratts thinks there is room for all three, RoMa, Paddy and Hayes.

I like, for no other reason Hayes gets more opportunity to adjust to the pace of AFL because Paddy is a week-by-week proposition and we need to know if Hayes permanent fixture and be thinking about life after Paddy.
Hayes played most of last season at chf in the SANFL I believe. Maybe he wants to make sure we have that position covered between him and Marshall as well as first and second ruck.
I know he's not a genuine ruck and he's no replacement for Paddy but what he could be is an AFL player and we just desperately need to stock up on bonafide AFL grade types especially ones that can gap fill in positions like the ruck while we are trying to recruit a genuine A grade tap ruckman.
The other thing is that, at a pinch, I reckon Marshall can play as another midfielder alongside Steele, Gresham, Sinclair, Crouch, Ross etc. He tends to play well wherever you put him. He’s just a strong, smart footballer. Traditional ruck rover, not bad below his knees at all and will certainly not be pushed around.

Perhaps we’ve gone in too tall, I don’t know. But at the same time structure is important. We need a physical presence in the forward line at all times to take the focus off King as a sole big target. Membrey is a very good forward, but he’s not quite what you would classify as key position. Lacks a bit of size and physicality that a Marshall, Ryder or Hayes can provide.IMO
I enjoy it when the big fella does his best work bellow his knees. We are going to need him to be Patrick Cripps this weekend.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Apr 2022 9:36am
bigcarl wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 11:38pm

I enjoy it when the big fella does his best work bellow his knees. We are going to need him to be Patrick Cripps this weekend.
The big-bodied superstar midfielder we’ve been searching for?

spert
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:08pm Totally mystified as to why Kent would even be considered.
Ratts is waiting for his breakout game

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 02 Apr 2022 11:43am
st.byron wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:08pm Totally mystified as to why Kent would even be considered.
Ratts is waiting for his breakout game
Thanks. That must be it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I see Paton as a defensive lock down player

Since Webster has his position they are trying to find another role for him.

He’s been pretty average so far this season and probably should have come through Sandy

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep shows no brains at all
Until guys like Kent are off the list …let alone getting games we are going nowhere
Would not get picked up by another AFL club at saints he’ll get 10 years
FFS

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Apr 2022 9:34am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 10:09pm

Who can???

What's the plan there?

So would you call him a line breaker? I seem to remember being impressed with his run and carry and taking on the play in 2020?
Paton? Benny is just another natural footballer, competent at most things or what I'd call, 'outstandingly competent'. Give him a task and he will work his way into it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

After 2020 Paton was heading towards an AA nomination as a small defender, that's his position as far as I'm concerned. Could play a role as a defensive winger but I like him in the back six.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I was a bit weary of Paton being selected for rd1.

Players that come back from that type of injury are usually hampered for a bit even after they recover. The leg is usually weaker, they tire faster, lack the explosive aspect of the game they previously had (penetration on kicking etc).

Like has been pointed out. Paton is fine but he’s way down on where he was. Pbly should have come through Sandy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Valid points skeptic. I don't think he's been as bad to have warranted a stint at Sandy. I cannot think of him being badly beaten in the first two games plus I'm at a loss as to who from Sandy would have or should have taken his place.

That may have been different if we had Coffield, Clark, Jones and Billings all available, then he could have worked his way in from Sandy.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:40am Valid points skeptic. I don't think he's been as bad to have warranted a stint at Sandy. I cannot think of him being badly beaten in the first two games plus I'm at a loss as to who from Sandy would have or should have taken his place.

That may have been different if we had Coffield, Clark, Jones and Billings all available, then he could have worked his way in from Sandy.

Absolutely. I’m in no way suggesting that he’s been terrible or won’t make it etc

I just think that currently he’s clearly not close to his peak match conditioning. He’s gone from elite shut player to current form almost as the classic role player that isn’t able to do much more than a basic negate job rather than completely making his opponents invisible like he was pre injury

IMO when u play players in that state it really has an impact on the psychological conditioning they build up. Paton has gone from looking and pbly feeling invincible on the field back to being human.

Personally I’d have rather gone a defender less but hopefully he’s get the run he needs and is close to it

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Ben Long the sub.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"