Ben Long's game tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Long's game tonight

said it all a LONG ...... keep playing him, I just get the feeling he is on the improve and yes..he does have that X factor ..whatever that is...the vibe ?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 8:39am Long got two holding the ball free kicks in the forward line that rarely rarely rarely happens... it happened because he absolutely cracks in and goes at 100. He needs to be in the team weekly. He was an absolute igniter in our forward line and his efforts lifted the team.

Higgins and Butler are our other smalls and they provide very little pressure, Long was bloody amazing
Love what you're saying about Ben Long in the euphoria of yesterdays victory but to say Butler provides very little pressure is complete rubbish & actually detracts from your kind words about Long.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

One reasonable game. Nothing more than that. Still needs to tighten up his ball handling. I'm pleased he contributed, but he still lacks class and polish. I'd love him to carry on from here, but I'm not hopeful

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Longy needs to be consistent & bring it every week if he does that he plays but so far he hasn’t been able to do it,let’s hope things have changed!

PADDLEPOP1000
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 2:38am Early in the third quarter her indoors turned to me and asked "How does Long justify getting a game?" She doesn't like him and he does test my patience. "He tackles hard, puts his body on the line and usually finds our blokes with his kicks." Bugger me, he then gave the pressure valve another turn and all of the favourite whipping boys followed suit and turned the game. Long was the instigator by my reckoning.
Funny you should say that. The missus turned to me and asked who he was as she didn't know/recognize him when he first came on. By the end of the game she was nearly in love.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He looks physically stronger and bigger. He is still apt to handpass first and think second - although he is not alone in that regard. Handpass receivers need to accept some blame here as well. There's no point running past a teammate to accept a handpass if you are then going to run straight into an opponent. Running into space to receive is the answer. He is definitely more value up forward than down back.

repta
Club Player

i like his aggression. However it is a ticking timebomb

I thought he was going to be rubbed out again with that free kick he gave away on the boundary. Luckily the other player (cant remember who it was) wasnt injured. Otherwise it would have been another lengthy holiday.

Handy player to have on the bench.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Zed wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 1:14am
DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 9:26pm Problem with Long is that next week he could punch someone in the head and get rubbed out for 4 weeks
And Higgins will replace him the week after anyways
I thought Ben Long played really well tonight but he has some consistency issues and is pretty well known for being a hot head and has snapped on multiple occasions before. that is both AFL and VFL.
In saying that he played than Butler IMO and i was really impressed with a fair few things he did. Shame he may get dropped like Joyce was, who played a solid game against Freo. Nice to have a little depth in a few areas

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

repta wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:36am i like his aggression. However it is a ticking timebomb

I thought he was going to be rubbed out again with that free kick he gave away on the boundary. Luckily the other player (cant remember who it was) wasnt injured. Otherwise it would have been another lengthy holiday.

Handy player to have on the bench.
Which free?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:48am One reasonable game. Nothing more than that. Still needs to tighten up his ball handling. I'm pleased he contributed, but he still lacks class and polish. I'd love him to carry on from here, but I'm not hopeful
"Reasonable" is a word usually used to describe a player that performed well in a losing team. By my own reasoning Longy was a bit better than reasonable.

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

No buts or howevers: did good, played strong.

Hard for a medi sub. Hit the ground running.

Scored, tackled hard, fantastic shimmys and feints. Took the hits. Moral to start next week.

Byrnes drops back in the pecking order.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:48am One reasonable game. Nothing more than that. Still needs to tighten up his ball handling. I'm pleased he contributed, but he still lacks class and polish. I'd love him to carry on from here, but I'm not hopeful
'he still lacks class and polish'

What game were you watching? Long's 45 metre pass to give Max his 4th goal was the best kick inside 50 from any player on either team. Perfectly weighted and gave King's opponent no chance to spoil.

I think people who don't watch the whole match, don’t deserve to comment. Lacks class and polish
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 05 Apr 2022 2:47am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Hawks ability to rebound exceptionally well out of their back six makes Long a lock to play this week.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:47pm
'he still lacks class and polish'

What game were you watching? Long's 45 metre pass to give Max his 4th goal was the best kick inside 50 from any player on either team. Perfectly weighted and gave King's opponent no chance to spoil.

I think people who don't watch the whole match deserve to comment. Lacks class and polish
100%

#6 for Richmond was less than a metre in front of Max but couldn't get a finger on the ball, which hit Max's hands nicely; the Tiger knew he was cooked when he missed the ball.
His shoulders slumped, head dropped, as he turned to see Max spin around and snap the goal.

Long's kick was laser-precise.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Long was very good. If that was his standard game he'd comfortably be best 22. Unfortunately he's never been able to maintain that level of form consistently. He kicked as many goals in this game as he did in his 7 games up forward last season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He played all of 2020 as a half back flanker and had a good year
He played the first round last year also at HBF and was a good contributor in the win against GWS

As we’ve seen with Battle, it’s not easy to be thrown around all the time and not settle in one position.

He’s relatively young as far as games played. His best asset is under utilised (which is not his hardness or tackling but it’s his ability to put the footy to our forwards advantage) and his team mates need to get the footy in his hands more

I think he’s really well suited to playing high half forward and he’s a better distributor by foot than Wood, Mckenzie, and most of our mids. Membrey is a good set shot but he’s also not very good at field passes