Russell Jeffrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Russell Jeffrey

Calm down kids.

I think Sebastian is entitled to feel the pain of the “Slur” …..

Clubs are targets…

The …isms live outside the blood stream, they are in the open air…

We hate them..we reject the insinuation the humiliation and projection of labels onto us..

We react and act out..

The “show me one example of x, y or x happening because of a,b, c” is now labeled too, and marked for ‘contamination’..

Anyway, media and society and particularly people wanna find a home for the isms, a corner for them to sweep the rubbish and toxins , and a footy club, especially a male, a white male, organization is a pretty safe target.

Footy clubs are like Bikini Atoll. Just bomb ‘em.

Accuse the club, call it ‘toxic’, because it can’t be about humans, it can’t be, cos then it’s you and me we are talking about. It is ‘the club’…

Unless we single out ONE solitary human, and call him (its usually a him) evil...for showing his dick in a dic pic, or for shooting up a school full of kids.

Whilst no doubt organizations have structures that allow humans to get away with stuff, the stuff they are getting g away with or doing isn’t in the DNA of a club..

Rhetorically you shouldnt say, ‘show me one example”

It’s too subjective anyway.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Wed 01 Jun 2022 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 3:57pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 1:02pm
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 6:40pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 1:12pm
older saint wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:59am OR perhaps just recruit players with a skill set we require whether they be white, black, yellow, pink or purple.

While many indigenous players do have amazing talent not sure race in any way should be a requirement to recruit or not recruit.

We all recall the great ones - Winmar, McAdam, Narkle, Muir and the good players - Clarke brothers, Jones, Jeffrey but there have been flops also - Greg McAdam, Campbell, Milera, Charles, Winmar(not Neil Elvis), Murray, Lovett
All recruitment some hits some misses.
What is great is the club has in place now a great system to help young players integrate into the AFL system and use experiences of those that came before them
You have wonder how those 'flops' would have gone if they had a supportive and non discriminatory environment the current players mostly enjoy? Even the sucess stories did it really tough back in the day!
Can you give some examples of a player/players who were effected by a "discriminatory environment"
If you think the AFL/VFL is not or has not been a discriminatory environment, you missed the 'Nicky Winmar, lifting his guernsey and unveiling an icon thing.'

If you didn't miss it and if you don't mind me asking, seeing you are a guardian of our clubs history, why do you think Nicky made such a public statement. One that would be hard to ignore.
You brought up Victoria Park '93 was it disgusting? yes , Are Collingwood fans filth YES are we happy that we rarely see it now days of course , but was it "discriminatory" no it wasnt

discriminatory
/dɪˈskrɪmɪnɪˌt(ə)ri,dɪˌskrɪmɪˈneɪt(ə)ri/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: discriminatory

making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
"discriminatory employment practices"

I think you will find opposition players and fans have been treated like that for over 100yrs of going to that s*** hole of ground , dare I bring up history but go and read up on how Neil Roberts was treated during his playing days going to that ground

So if your going to use the term discriminatory , least learn what it means
You are a tool and you should fix yourself.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I often wonder why arguments and conflict over race occur so often on forums ,particularly sports forums

Are we that stupid not to be able to avoid it. Racism is being addressed adequately in so many other areas ….why do we bother doing it here .?

Ignore and talk saints

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Here some Saints related content. Its free to watch in full on the AFL site for anyone interested and easy to ignore for anyone who isn't.
But if you watch it and deny that the league was rife with discrimination, ignorance isn't a valid argument.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:35pm Here some Saints related content. Its free to watch in full on the AFL site for anyone interested and easy to ignore for anyone who isn't.
But if you watch it and deny that the league was rife with discrimination, ignorance isn't a valid argument.

Seen it and was there that day

The league was rife with discrimination

I was simply trying to suggest we ignore or at least avoid the conflict on here regarding racism and focus on the footy
But if I’m in the minority on that then knock yourselves out

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:48pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:35pm Here some Saints related content. Its free to watch in full on the AFL site for anyone interested and easy to ignore for anyone who isn't.

I was simply trying to suggest we ignore or at least avoid the conflict on here regarding racism and focus on the footy
Avoiding the conflict got us to the point when Winmar made his stand. Like our little mate Gilbert says, 'you've got to call it out.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 9:41pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:48pm

Avoiding the conflict got us to the point when Winmar made his stand. Like our little mate Gilbert says, 'you've got to call it out.
Sure. Call it out. Anyway I come here to talk footy
Good luck with the crusade mate

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I'm staying away from the ism's way too controversial for me but yeah Russell Jeffery was a bloody good player I think I have said this before on a post years ago I went to game at the Western Oval & Plugger kicked 10 & we won by a lot I can't remember the exact margin but RJ was BOG IMO just brilliant

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:59am OR perhaps just recruit players with a skill set we require whether they be white, black, yellow, pink or purple.

While many indigenous players do have amazing talent not sure race in any way should be a requirement to recruit or not recruit.

We all recall the great ones - Winmar, McAdam, Narkle, Muir and the good players - Clarke brothers, Jones, Jeffrey but there have been flops also - Greg McAdam, Campbell, Milera, Charles, Winmar(not Neil Elvis), Murray, Lovett
What is great is the club has in place now a great system to help young players integrate into the AFL system and use experiences of those that came before them
You have wonder how those 'flops' would have gone if they had a supportive and non discriminatory environment the current players mostly enjoy? Even the sucess stories did it really tough back in the day!
Can you give some examples of a player/players who were effected by a "discriminatory environment"
For the sake of conversation... and I’m not suggesting I believe this, but of the players listed in the ‘flops’ category, one was sacked a few months after signing a contract.
I forget what the offical reason was... something to do with not meeting training commitments and contract breaches.

We all of course suspect there was a particular triggering event as to why he was sacked so abruptly.

Now I don’t remember many other contracted players being sacked by our club in the preseason even in the context of a major off-field scandal. IIRC it’s a bit of a big deal now following the incident in 2003 when Capuano was sacked during the season. I believe the rules changed after that stopping clubs from being able to do that.

Lawrence was sacked as well following an off field incident but I think they waited until after the season was over?

Either way, many players have major off field discretions. Many have issues with not meeting training standards. Almost non get sacked in the preseason of their first season of a club, after being traded in at some contest, on a reasonable contract, after being brought in for a particular skill set that isn’t replaceable at said said, whilst said club is contending for a premiership.

Lovett seems unique in this respect.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

For all of you on here who cant tell the Difference between Discrimination and racial abuse maybe should go grab a Dictionary , As someone who was standing that day in the outer I can answer the following - Did Nicky Winmar receive the most disgusting slurs based on the colour of skin YES HE DID , Was Gilbert McAdam called the most vugler things based on this race YES HE Was , Was Stewart Loewe , Robert Harvey , Dean Rice and Peter Everitt (I can name the whole team because where i was standing no one got left out) called every disgusting name under the sun YES THEY WERE , Did I get hit with a empty beer can full of urine YES I DID , Did I get spat upon YES I DID and was I threaten with violence YES I WAS so if you were in Red , White and Black on the field or in the outer the flith crowd didn't miss any one.
Now if my original question was can you provide a example of a St Kilda player being racially abused then the answer of Vic park 93 is right but that wasn't my question , my question was in149ys of clubs existed can you give me one example of a player being Discriminated against because the colour of their skin. Now all you with your HOF tags can call me names and show how "cool" you are , but funnily enough you still can't answer the question I asked

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Thu 02 Jun 2022 2:15pm For all of you on here who cant tell the Difference between Discrimination and racial abuse maybe should go grab a Dictionary , As someone who was standing that day in the outer I can answer the following - Did Nicky Winmar receive the most disgusting slurs based on the colour of skin YES HE DID , Was Gilbert McAdam called the most vugler things based on this race YES HE Was , Was Stewart Loewe , Robert Harvey , Dean Rice and Peter Everitt (I can name the whole team because where i was standing no one got left out) called every disgusting name under the sun YES THEY WERE , Did I get hit with a empty beer can full of urine YES I DID , Did I get spat upon YES I DID and was I threaten with violence YES I WAS so if you were in Red , White and Black on the field or in the outer the flith crowd didn't miss any one.
Now if my original question was can you provide a example of a St Kilda player being racially abused then the answer of Vic park 93 is right but that wasn't my question , my question was in149ys of clubs existed can you give me one example of a player being Discriminated against because the colour of their skin. Now all you with your HOF tags can call me names and show how "cool" you are , but funnily enough you still can't answer the question I asked
I posted the OP to highlight Russell and his advice to the coach, not for you to get on your f****** hobby horse. We all know cuz was abused and I have a singed copy of his famous photo. It is one of my cherished possessions but enough is enough ffs

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

my most hated club...the skunks.
their supporters are the lowest common denominator , Vic park was a s*** hole.
Met Elvis a few times over the years...just a ripper bloke.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Thu 02 Jun 2022 2:15pm For all of you on here who cant tell the Difference between Discrimination and racial abuse maybe should go grab a Dictionary , As someone who was standing that day in the outer I can answer the following - Did Nicky Winmar receive the most disgusting slurs based on the colour of skin YES HE DID , Was Gilbert McAdam called the most vugler things based on this race YES HE Was , Was Stewart Loewe , Robert Harvey , Dean Rice and Peter Everitt (I can name the whole team because where i was standing no one got left out) called every disgusting name under the sun YES THEY WERE , Did I get hit with a empty beer can full of urine YES I DID , Did I get spat upon YES I DID and was I threaten with violence YES I WAS so if you were in Red , White and Black on the field or in the outer the flith crowd didn't miss any one.
Because you mix all the ism's together, doesn't put them in the same basket.
There is no doubt that Cuz suffered racial vilification and discrimination while employed and while performing his role at the St.Kilda football club. You are playing with petty semantics and aren't even close to correct.
Let me educate you.

https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/emp ... rimination

The RDA protects people from racial discrimination in many areas of public life, including employment, education, getting or using services, renting or buying a house or unit, and accessing public places.

The RDA also makes racial hatred unlawful.

The St.Kilda football club is now a safe place for Aboriginals to work and view the football, because Winmar and others, took a stand.

They have harboured, and honoured, known paedophiles as well, and have recently moved some from life membership.

St.Kilda aren't to blame but they could have acted earlier.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Medieval witch burners..
Ya think we ain’t a bunch of cannibals?

Who’s gonna stop us?

God?

Take a bow.

And point at the rotten one.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:50am
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:21am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:16am
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:07am Who let the wanker in ?
So I'm a wanker because I ask posters to back up what they say with facts .... godforbid
Ya just coming on fairly hot brother. If posters on this site had to back up everything that was posted then nothing would get posted.

Relax and save your worry for the things that matter in life would be my advice.
Well "brother" you did call me a wanker so f*** u but you know what I does matter to me is the history of this club and what I don't like is posters who make s*** up to push an agenda and again People who read posts on here would think our history is fill of sexism and racism all the ism's you can think of . Our history is one of lack of success and that's about all and you know what the only flag you can wave to solve that is a premiership flag
For decades the club refused to recruit women.
Where was the gender diversity in the 1966 premiership team.
Half the team were not women as per their percentage in the population.
Not even one women amongst them.
It must have been sexism.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 9:48am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:50am
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:21am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:16am
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:07am Who let the wanker in ?
So I'm a wanker because I ask posters to back up what they say with facts .... godforbid
Ya just coming on fairly hot brother. If posters on this site had to back up everything that was posted then nothing would get posted.

Relax and save your worry for the things that matter in life would be my advice.
Well "brother" you did call me a wanker so f*** u but you know what I does matter to me is the history of this club and what I don't like is posters who make s*** up to push an agenda and again People who read posts on here would think our history is fill of sexism and racism all the ism's you can think of . Our history is one of lack of success and that's about all and you know what the only flag you can wave to solve that is a premiership flag
For decades the club refused to recruit women.
Where was the gender diversity in the 1966 premiership team.
Half the team were not women as per their percentage in the population.
Not even one women amongst them.
It must have been sexism.
That's funny.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 10:58am
mightysainters wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:13pm

If you have to ask, you won't listen...
So your going to slur the history of a club you say you support with no facts or examples it ever happened and you say I'm not listening so I will make it really easy for you all you have too give me is one example in the last 149 yrs that the St Kilda Football Club has discriminated against a player because of the colour of their skin
Its not directed at our club but the AFL and community behaviours as a whole! There are hundreds of historical examples and our club would have been no better or worse than others.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:43am Russell had two stints with the Saints, 1987-88 and 1990-91 and played a total of 42 games and kicked three goals. Well he was a backman. He also played 8 games for Brisbane in 1992.

His son Joel is starting to set the world on fire.

I remember Russell telling the then coach that the Saints needed to recruit more "black magic".

Pity it has taken the club 30 odd years to wise up.
Such a shame that Russell didn't play 100 games for us. Same with Dean Anderson and Brett Bowey. So typically unlucky for us.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
SaintWiki
Club Player

A week of reconnection with family and culture has reunited Robert Muir and the St Kilda football club

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-05/ ... /101301026

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 11:19am A week of reconnection with family and culture has reunited Robert Muir and the St Kilda football club

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-05/ ... /101301026

A great article SW deserving of it's own thread. Thanks for posting.

happy feet
Club Player

If you think the AFL/VFL is not or has not been a discriminatory environment, you missed the 'Nicky Winmar, lifting his guernsey and unveiling an icon thing.'

If you didn't miss it and if you don't mind me asking, seeing you are a guardian of our clubs history, why do you think Nicky made such a public statement. One that would be hard to ignore.
You brought up Victoria Park '93 was it disgusting? yes , Are Collingwood fans filth YES are we happy that we rarely see it now days of course , but was it "discriminatory" no it wasnt

discriminatory
Learn to pronounce
adjective

making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

I think you will find opposition players and fans have been treated like that for over 100yrs of going to that s*** hole of ground , dare I bring up history but go and read up on how Neil Roberts was treated during his playing days going to that ground

Welcome back Ernie.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

discriminatory
Learn to pronounce
adjective

Welcome back Ernie.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.