Paddy McCartin Comp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin Comp

HeyVortex,

Do all the players on our seniors list train away from the main group? Do they only use the ‘resources’ at Sandringham?

That’s the secret is it? The clubrooms and training facilities at Trevor Barker Beach oval need to be top notch for St Kilda to do well

We made prelims in 2004/2005 and 2008 and Grand Finals in 09/10 with outdated and run down facilities, so I’m 100% certain it’s the people who run a footy club, along with high performance and development staff and the right coaches who are the key.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 2:37pm HeyVortex,

Do all the players on our seniors list train away from the main group? Do they only use the ‘resources’ at Sandringham?

That’s the secret is it? The clubrooms and training facilities at Trevor Barker Beach oval need to be top notch for St Kilda to do well

We made prelims in 2004/2005 and 2008 and Grand Finals in 09/10 with outdated and run down facilities, so I’m 100% certain it’s the people who run a footy club, along with high performance and development staff and the right coaches who are the key.
Re read my post Beaker

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne won a Grand Final despite most of their players training most of their careers at Gosch's Paddock

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 2:54pm Melbourne won a Grand Final despite most of their players training most of their careers at Gosch's Paddock
Melbourne has resources, it's called a deep list of highly talented players.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy for the bloke. We were right to let him go, and the AFL shouldn't have allowed him on a list - but they did and here he is.

A separate issue is how we fail to get the most out of people. For example, is the Billings vs Bont argument on the club or the player?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 8:42pm I'm happy for the bloke. We were right to let him go, and the AFL shouldn't have allowed him on a list - but they did and here he is.

A separate issue is how we fail to get the most out of people. For example, is the Billings vs Bont argument on the club or the player?
What came first the chicken or the egg? You have to get the pick right to start with. You should also look to what a player can offer for the short term as well as the long term

As far as the Bont is concerned, I think we were lazy and we didn't work hard enough or smart enough when it came to drafting in general.

Bont was a late bloomer. He had the DNA (being a cousin of Nick Dal Santo) and he had outstanding character as well as a lot of weapons for a midfielder with that height and skill and massive upside for someone who was among the youngest in his draft year. We didn't need a player who was going to contribute to us entering a finals series in 2014. We were still in rebuild mode

https://www.afl.com.au/news/117000/26-d ... ontempelli

As far as Paddy is concerned, I think the club didn't assess the risk properly but once he was chosen for us, I also think we didn't prepare the guy well enough and he didn't work hard enough to become AFL fit in his early years. I believe he was desperate to contribute to the team once Richo gave him opportunities so he took more risk than he needed to.

And why..??....because he couldn't provide enough pressure to lock the ball in our forward line and he couldn't chase and he couldn't last 4 quarters like his team mates

I reckon McCartin probably put himself in dangerous positions throughout 2015-2017 and his lack of agility and lack of fitness meant he probably needed to jump higher or approach from a different angle but he couldn't. A few other people had the same opinion.

Not saying he could have totally avoided ALL his head knocks but I do remember a few where he absolutely made bad decisions putting his body and his head in harms way