Age article - ‘A point of difference in the south’: How Saints hope to keep rivals at bay

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Age article - ‘A point of difference in the south’: How Saints hope to keep rivals at bay

Devilhead wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 2:39am A quick Google search

That bloody line between 7 & 8 with hawthorn - Cost us Leigh Matthews and Brereton i believe.

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Age article - ‘A point of difference in the south’: How Saints hope to keep rivals at bay

older saint wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 12:13pm

That bloody line between 12 & 8 with hawthorn - Cost us Leigh Matthews and Brereton i believe.

older saint
SS Life Member

That bloody line between 12 & 7 with hawthorn - Cost us Leigh Matthews and Brereton i believe.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 11:53am
Vortex wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 11:21am
Teflon wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 8:46am
So before RTB we sacked coaches every 2 years?
Coulda sworn that’s not right
But anyhoo
Clearly you are right as always, thankyou for reminding me we don't have a rich history of mismanaging the club and eating our own. Thankfully Ross is going to be around in 10 years time
I think you forgot
'not" before around, or at least I hope so.
That's a bit if wierd thing to say Stinga. Why wouldn't you want Ross about in 10 years time, wouldn't that mean we have emulated clubs like Geelong and Richmond and have a couple of extra cups in the cabinet?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 10:30am
Vortex wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023 7:29pm Halle-bloody-lujah!

I can't believe it's taken this long for the club to put one of my strategy suggestions into practice.

Next stop, have spots on the list that are reserved for players who only get 2 years maximum to prove they are capable of playing in a GF side, high turnover on high speculative picks.

And 1 year maximum for players who have been recruited from other clubs that have been on a list 2 years or longer, I'd call it the Stocker Strategy.

Also need a policy on interstate players but I suppose if we focus on locals that almost is the same policy.
Oh well Vort, you got the first part correct. I would be surprised if your 2 you rule is adopted.
I know your immediate response wasn't positive but it makes good sense, at the very least it's worth a go. How does that saying go about repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result? I'd like to see us be innovative in our recruiting strategy and try a few different things.

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's certainly good to see that St Kilda are going to put some effort into "farming" the bayside corridor to the Mornington Peninsula in order to foster young talent. But we shouldn't get too excited about this because that won't necessarily result in St Kilda being able to draft every young gun that is identified as a good prospect.

The 2021 draft that landed Saints Academy ghraduates Owens (33) and Windhager (47) was an aberration that is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon. The hot prospect from the Saints Academy in 2022, Cameron McKenzie, who was long mooted to be drafted by St Kilda, ended up at Hawthorn with pick 7.

Of much greater importance as far as I'm concerned is that St Kilda FC goes all out to improve the club in every respect, on and off field, that will result in players in our "zone" that are drafted by other clubs seek to play with the Saints at the first opportunity. Ben King is in this category.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What about the players that join the AFL to see the world, or at least Australia.
Is Mornington Peninsula that much of a comparative advantage.
I'd suggest Max and Ross are our trumps; winning more would sure help as well.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If only makes sense if you could prevent or deter recruitment from these areas by other clubs. If you can’t do that, it is a backwards move, for you are just limiting precious list spots to a process of positive discrimination and the expense of everywhere else.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
lloyd21
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 2:13pm It's certainly good to see that St Kilda are going to put some effort into "farming" the bayside corridor to the Mornington Peninsula in order to foster young talent. But we shouldn't get too excited about this because that won't necessarily result in St Kilda being able to draft every young gun that is identified as a good prospect.

The 2021 draft that landed Saints Academy ghraduates Owens (33) and Windhager (47) was an aberration that is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon. The hot prospect from the Saints Academy in 2022, Cameron McKenzie, who was long mooted to be drafted by St Kilda, ended up at Hawthorn with pick 7.

Of much greater importance as far as I'm concerned is that St Kilda FC goes all out to improve the club in every respect, on and off field, that will result in players in our "zone" that are drafted by other clubs seek to play with the Saints at the first opportunity. Ben King is in this category.....
Agree 100% .

RSEA Park is being used by the bayside fraternity as a business meeting venue every time I’m there lots of local businesses.
Danny Frawley Centre is being used by Hampton & Sandringham residents in big numbers including private schools .
The Ace that Stkilda has to engineer the return of recruitment zones & to lobby the AFL ,Sandringham Dragons as their
local zone particularly if Tasmania joins AFL …the big clubs like Collingwood were virtually given the Lexus Centre due to
powerful administrators pushing their agenda.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Should always have been a focus

From 1965 onwards

The more Sandy Dragons players and Dandy players from the peninsula - the better - provided they can play

Sinn
Callaghan

High on the agenda

And obviously Ben King

Our next premiership involves Ben King

And that will be our point of difference- 2 x towers

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 10:50am
Vortex wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 8:20am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 7:31am
Vortex wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023 7:29pm Halle-bloody-lujah!

I can't believe it's taken this long for the club to put one of my strategy suggestions into practice.

Next stop, have spots on the list that are reserved for players who only get 2 years maximum to prove they are capable of playing in a GF side, high turnover on high speculative picks.

And 1 year maximum for players who have been recruited from other clubs that have been on a list 2 years or longer, I'd call it the Stocker Strategy.

Also need a policy on interstate players but I suppose if we focus on locals that almost is the same policy.
You sir, are brilliant. Well done.
Yes I am, and I'm a giver.

Now all we need to do is get my coach strategy implemented which broadly speaking is a policy that would prevent coach sackings every 2 years....another thing Geelong does very well.
But anyhoo
Pretty easy to do the math. 5 coaches in 22 years, 22 divided by 5 equals 2. Yep, there is it.
Oh my maths was a little more recent than 1980s…
So was looking at 6 years for Richo and 3 for Ratten so I don’t get 2 in recent history???
But will leave you to work out if the squares are all rooted..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

But anyhoo
Clearly you are right as always, thankyou for reminding me we don't have a rich history of mismanaging the club and eating our own. Thankfully Ross is going to be around in 10 years time
Bang on brother …I am often right ..
RTB to hold up the cup
Sharman takes out Coleman ..
Stick fat man.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 1:12pm
saynta wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 11:53am
But anyhoo
I think you forgot
'not" before around, or at least I hope so.
That's a bit if wierd thing to say Stinga. Why wouldn't you want Ross about in 10 years time, wouldn't that mean we have emulated clubs like Geelong and Richmond and have a couple of extra cups in the cabinet?
Wow…just wow.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 7:29pm Should always have been a focus

From 1965 onwards

The more Sandy Dragons players and Dandy players from the peninsula - the better - provided they can play

Sinn
Callaghan

High on the agenda

And obviously Ben King

Now that I can agree with
I haven’t relinquished my Ben King dream ..

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023 6:55pm

“North Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, they are all on top of each another.

We are not, we are bayside ... no other club in Melbourne can do it, we have the whole corridor from here to Portsea.”

The whole corridor to ourselves?

I think he forgot about one club. The same club that pinched a lot of our former recruiting ground that delivered them quite a few premiership players.

The one that is building their base not in Hawthorn, back in our backyard.

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/1248 ... n-contract

The Saints are better located, but they are closer to the Mornington Peninsula including Portsea.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lloyd21
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 7:29pm Should always have been a focus

From 1965 onwards

Sinn
Callaghan

High on the agenda

And obviously Ben King

Finn Callaghan St Bedes / Parkdale would be top of list
Miles Bergman currently at Port Adelaide would be next target for me.
Draft this year very very good Dursma would be fantastic.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 09 Feb 2023 1:12am
ctqs wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023 6:55pm

“North Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, they are all on top of each another.

We are not, we are bayside ... no other club in Melbourne can do it, we have the whole corridor from here to Portsea.”

The whole corridor to ourselves?

It's a joke.
I suggest the clubs PR department have key targets for the year which include spouting out 1 a week, and way low down in the barrel, in the cricket season, when footy interest is low, they pull this one out.

I mean what kind of manager is going to tell a young player to limit his or her choices to St Kilda because "the Saints like bayside."?
What kind of list manager is going to tell Nicky Winmar, "Sorry we have reserved 10 spots for the bayside so please accept Carlton's offer instead?"

It might work for local politics though because any local politician is gettable if its plausible that say, families with footy kids would feel enouraged to build links with St Kilda. It might also work at a State Level and in some indirect way, feed back to the AFL that we are 'helping the cause'..and that might help incase Tassie goes belly up and they are looking for a 'rescue dog' ala Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy. It could serve as a bulwark against something like that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 10:58pm
But anyhoo
What's Coleman's first name ?
Did they go to the movies ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 10:00pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 08 Feb 2023 10:58pm
But anyhoo
What's Coleman's first name ?
Did they go to the movies ?
Boom boom!

“Yeah….nah””
Saints58
Club Player

That bloody line between 12 & 7 with hawthorn - Cost us Leigh Matthews and Brereton i believe.

how come we are the only club with 1 suburban zone most other clubs had more.
I hated the zones I was in Richmond's zone I did try and get the folks to move further south out of Warragal road

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

!

Saints58 wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 12:52pm

how come we are the only club with 1 suburban zone most other clubs had more.
I hated the zones I was in Richmond's zone I did try and get the folks to move further south out of Warragal road
I liked the zones, kind of. We had an identity, somehow.
I would also like to see an overlay of the immigrant population in those zones, or how the ratio of flats to standalone houses was.

St Kilda's 'L' -shaped zone was pretty odd. The bayside of the vertical bit of the 'L' is not red-blooded enough, artists, miscreants, drifters, new arrivals, flats, boarding houses (St Kilda, Elwood etc.) rich white grammar schools who play rugby-union (Gardenvale, Brighton), arty types who drink wine, rich kids who prefer surfing, sailing, and then the breadbasket in the bottom of the 'L' , suburban bogans, apprentice electricians, panel beaters (Moorabbin and Cheltenham)..ah..now that is a ridiculous and crude piece of profiling.

I wonder why we got Ballarat?
Anyway, I love the St Kilda area as the base, for its history and its variety and at least Moorabbin is somewhat vaguely connected. (Personally, I think the Saints will need a base in St Kilda too, to make the brand untouchable)

But anyway, zones are dead, so I really think this PR is just fluff, but why not. If we get some more sponsors from the Mornington Peninsula (Granny's Red Hill Apple Cart Sunday Market) then bravo. Or maybe a chemical plant in Hastings? Or Fox's new container port he proposed down there..great)

Another idea would be to rezone the councils and make the City of St Kilda a council name again, and have it consume all of St Kilda to Cheltenham and include Linton Street