Nick Walsh Quits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Walsh Quits

Don’t think Walsh going is related to 1 injury etc

I liked this from BF suggesting it’s a non event:

Like freaking out that the dishwasher will be irreplaceable. We got Lyon for exactly this reason, to raise standards across the board. In the past we would keep staff on no matter what they did. Lyon is going to push standards high and some staff won't take it well and move on. At the end of the day we want to be more professional and have the best people in all roles. This gives us that opportunity.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 2:06am I'll bow to the messiah when and if he actually achieves something
Allan Jeans.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So, quit or pushed?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Shoved.

Saintmike65
Club Player

It’s a shame Nick’s gone, he’s a ripping bloke.
The recurrence injuries are a big concern plus the long term back issues with Hotton & McLennan.
Looking outside the square, with Misson having his hands full with footy manager business, I wonder if Sean Dempster may take over from Walsh?
Interestingly, in hindsight, I don’t recall seeing the boss talking to Nick Walsh at all at training..was always in deep discussion with Dave Misson!

Saints58
Club Player

This is AFL not local leagues standards are higher stats show teams with less injuries usually make finals we were devastated by injury some were bad luck but the ones to some players still in rehab is uncappable.
Wonder if Paddy would still be playing if someone else was running our fitness program.
I really hope we have someone in mind with missons vast experience he should be able to get someone, don't know how difficult it would be 6 weeks in.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I've seen enough departure memos to know this one means he was pushed.

The two questions are "Why?" And "Does it matter?"

Sanctorum
Club Player

Who knows why Nick Walsh resigned and it's pointless to speculate on the reasons, it happens at every club.

If it was a case of disharmony between Walsh and Misson/Lyon that's not unusual, especially as he was appointed 2 years ago before the big shakeup of the football department, and was part of the "old guard".

Nor is it unreasonable for new leaders of the football department to review the performance of everyone in football operations and make changes where they believe this will benefit the club, that's what they are employed to do!

Either way, I personally thinks it's no big deal.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:27am
Otiman wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 7:37am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 3:49am Reading some of your posts it is almost like you are hoping Ross and the club fail in their current attempts to improve our football club.

Amazing stuff and reflects more on yourselves than anyone at the club or other posters here.
I guess some peoples idea of "club culture" is stuck in the 80's.

I am truly convinced there are those that there are supporters so engrained in a losing culture that it's become part of them.
I’m sure of it
Some sort of weird reverse pride for how shyte we’ve been for so long
Lol Stockholm syndrome type thing …
Bizarre
The easiest way to tell is, who and how many posts there are when we win v we lose

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1321285/ ... rts-saints

"Nick has brought a high-level of professionalism and dedication to the role which has seen him win great respect with staff and players.

“Nick indicated to us this week that he wanted to take a break from his role at the Club and look to what’s next in his professional career. We fully support his decision to do so and wish him all the very best.”

Weird, very weird.

You don't walk out on a club a third of the way into a season, you just don't.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 02 May 2023 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I suspect Misson's appointment pushed Walsh into 'second banana' status. Not a comfortable position for Walsh to be in, given his standing in the game

It's a shame. I thought Walsh transformed us from the fitness failure of 2021.

I'm not comfortable with this development, but then again, I'm not at Moorabbin to see this stuff. I'm just a guy looking on from a distance through the wrong end of a telescope

Templar
Club Player

Players looked shagged in Round 7.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 12:17am
B.M wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 12:14am Coach has absolutely no influence on injury in a game of AFL footy

Fitness guy has some impact - not much

Most injuries are caused by pushing one’s body beyond its limits, or collisions

The only responsibility is when over or under training is at play

Walsh quit - he wasn’t sacked

Wonder why?!
Cause he’s being held accountable for soft tissues and recurring soft tissue. From Stav BF (suspect he’s a little closer than you ..even though that grates you..)

Stav BF

Being held accountable

Coff had a hamstring that needed surgery just before Xmas.

Pretty sure this is his second calf - which he reinjured recovering from the first.

King Hammy just kicking a footy is alarming considering it was in kick to kick with BJ and not match sim

Ross had a calf over Xmas/new year.

Dmac has had a couple in the off-season and might be done for the year at this rate.

So from that list alone you have 2 blokes reinjuring themselves with the same injuries.

There was more over Xmas/new years too.

Jones had a calf and now achilles.

Campbell Achilles in the new year.

Ross doesn’t **** around
When did KIng do a hamstring? FFS - surely not?

Go you red, black & white warriors
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Saw Walsh having a pretty intense chat with Mission after practice before round 2 in the carpark...I wasnt stalking lol. Not shouting or something rude just Mission pointing in his face a bit and saying, enough.

Didnt seem more than any other staff discussion this year...heard a few strong words...much more than our past few years.
Not suggesting a fall out just wondered if maybe 2 different views on things creatung opporrunity to depart ?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Might also be a case of location… I met one of these guys a while back, not sure if it was Walsh but he worked at Moorabbin but was based somewhere in the Western suburbs. I remembered thinking at the time that he would move sooner rather than later.

Templar
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 1:10pm
When did KIng do a hamstring? FFS - surely not?
Early March

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I'm diagnosing a chronically bruised ego

Reckon Coffields injury might have been the straw that tweaked the camel's hamstring

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 9:54am It’s a shame Nick’s gone, he’s a ripping bloke.
The recurrence injuries are a big concern plus the long term back issues with Hotton & McLennan.
Looking outside the square, with Misson having his hands full with footy manager business, I wonder if Sean Dempster may take over from Walsh?
Interestingly, in hindsight, I don’t recall seeing the boss talking to Nick Walsh at all at training..was always in deep discussion with Dave Misson!
SaintMike65 your training reports were great. Any chance of starting them up again.
We don't get direct training intelligence any more.
Would really appreciate it if not too much trouble. Cheers, Y.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 2:07pm Might also be a case of location… I met one of these guys a while back, not sure if it was Walsh but he worked at Moorabbin but was based somewhere in the Western suburbs. I remembered thinking at the time that he would move sooner rather than later.
Tony Brown lives in Barwon Heads.
Commutes without complaint (according to a club employee)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 5:03pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 2:07pm Might also be a case of location… I met one of these guys a while back, not sure if it was Walsh but he worked at Moorabbin but was based somewhere in the Western suburbs. I remembered thinking at the time that he would move sooner rather than later.

Boris lives near Geelong
1. Partially correct
2. Wrong
3. And Nick is a quality bloke and in my opinion a very talented operator

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:31am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1321285/ ... rts-saints

"Nick has brought a high-level of professionalism and dedication to the role which has seen him win great respect with staff and players.

“Nick indicated to us this week that he wanted to take a break from his role at the Club and look to what’s next in his professional career. We fully support his decision to do so and wish him all the very best.”

Weird, very weird.

You don't walk out on a club a third of the way into a season, you just don't.
Saynta, you're not the only supporter who was unimpressed with Ratten's sacking and disenchanted with Lyon's appointment as head coach who will see some sinister or ulterior motive in this latest development at Moorabbin.

I get that, but feel a bit sorry for you because nursing ill-feelings towards Ross Lyon serves no purpose other than to make you feel miserable and ignores the reality that RTB is here to stay. After all, the club in its infinite wisdom was only doing what they judged to be best for the future of our footy teeam.

There have been many reports in the media that the players have great respect for Lyon and by virtue of the way they are playing that is patently obvious. If this is good enough for the players it should also put supporters' minds at rest.

It is also important to remember that neither Misson nor Lyon make decisions about senior staff appointments without the full backing of the CEO and Board.

But I also acknowledge that it is still too soon to know if Misson/Lyon has been the right decision.

I personally believe it is and that ultimately this will result in St Kilda performing much better than it has in the past 12 seasons....it's a matter of opinion.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tony74 wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 5:07pm

Boris lives near Geelong
1. Partially correct
2. Wrong
Tones, I edited my post earlier

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 5:07pm

Boris lives near Geelong
1. Partially correct
2. Wrong
Sometimes it’s like having to explain feelings to people around here.

Regardless of whether or not some people do it and it works for them doesn’t mean that it’s a good fit for everyone. If I’m partially correct and say Walsh has a young family, who could blame him for not wanting to spend 2-3 hours a day or couple of days a week driving back and forth.
Heck it may not even have to do with a family… may he might just get fed up with the traffic. It happens
It’s not hard to figure out

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 12:14pm Players looked shagged in Round 7.
I thought the same. Will also be 2 sore boys this week who are important to our run in Hill and NWM.

North could be hard to get past with a win.