Dougal Howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dougal Howard

If he is integral then we are shot. He was a witches hat yesterday. He also got taken to the cleaners by Thilthorpe in Cairns last year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 9:46pm If he is integral then we are shot. He was a witches hat yesterday. He also got taken to the cleaners by Thilthorpe in Cairns last year.
Okay, so we drop him. Who comes in to replace him? I can guarantee the backline will really struggle without him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 9:49pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 9:46pm If he is integral then we are shot. He was a witches hat yesterday. He also got taken to the cleaners by Thilthorpe in Cairns last year.
Okay, so we drop him. Who comes in to replace him? I can guarantee the backline will really struggle without him.
Then we are fooked then, because he stinks

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 10:36pm
Apart from yesterday’s game he hasn’t been THAT bad. And we’re not “fooked” at all. We have a terrific prospect in James Van Es coming through the ranks.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 10:39pm
Apart from yesterday’s game he hasn’t been THAT bad. And we’re not “fooked” at all. We have a terrific prospect in James Van Es coming through the ranks.
Was meant for the current side, if he’s the best we have then….

Prospects coming through the ranks…..zzzzzz
Just give me results. Tired of builds, rebuilds, demolitions, whatever you want to call them.

Van Es could be another Hugh Goddard at this point.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 11:07pm

Just give me results. Tired of builds, rebuilds, demolitions, whatever you want to call them.

lol you’re alone with those thoughts! I’m pretty sure virtually every St.Kilda supporter and their dog feels that way! But right now, we have to make do with what we’ve got. If you don’t like it, you can always support a club more suited to your online persona, like Collingwood :mrgreen:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He doesn’t need to be dropped - he needs a fkn rocket!

Some of his efforts weren’t acceptable

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Van Es is a bit away - like Keeler

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Howard struggles against certain types of forwards. He certainly is not a rebounder or quick to the contest.

What he IS...is effeceint with the ball. This season he is averaging 90%.

He averages 7 spoils a game and 9 - 1 percenters....for those confused thats acts of spoil, knock on, smothers or shepherds.
These are the KEY factors in a defender...yes, some rebounding would go nicely or some passionate attack of the ball...but he is delivering so he will stay.

Are there better defenders in the AFL? Yes, but we dont have them. Not in our seniors & from what Ive seen, not in the wings (vfl)

Its one of our 3 key areas of desperate need:

Ruck
Defender KPP
Inside Midfielder
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Tue 16 May 2023 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 11:43pm Van Es is a bit away - like Keeler
Bit away is kind....VERY kind.

Been to 2 VFL games & these lads are miles off the mark. Flares of brillance but at the rate theyre travelling...years away....if ever.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

I’d love to see Ben king one day come to the saints and replace Howard. What a defender he would make.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 12:14am I’d love to see Ben king one day come to the saints and replace Howard. What a defender he would make.
Isn’t his contract up at the end of the year?

Would be great to have both King twins. He has gone to absolute waste at that plastic entity called Gold Coast. I bet he’d give his left nut to play alongside his brother at St.Kilda!!

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 11:38pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 11:07pm

lol you’re alone with those thoughts! I’m pretty sure virtually every St.Kilda supporter and their dog feels that way! But right now, we have to make do with what we’ve got. If you don’t like it, you can always support a club more suited to your online persona, like Collingwood :mrgreen:
My persona….and support Collingwood.
🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Apologies for expecting more from the supposedly professional club I support.

Geez, talk about easily pleased and excited by players at Sandy that average 5-10 touches a game….
Without beating down on Van Es, where exactly are the highlights in his 5-10 possession games? I’d prefer Zac Dawson at this stage.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Having a crack and being beat skill-for-skill is one thing, half-assed efforts and shirking contests is another.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

I've been quite critical of Dougal Howard in the past, but also acknowledge that right now St Kilda do not have anyone else of his size to play Fullback.

Highmore may be doing well in the seconds but that doesn't necessarily mean he will replicate that level of play in the seniors against opposition tall key forwards.

Bag Howard if you like, but in the bad loss to Adelaide I believe the chronic failure of the forwards to lock the ball in the forward 50 and convert the chances into goals was a far bigger factor in the end result.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 8:46am
My persona….and support Collingwood.
🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Apologies for expecting more from the supposedly professional club I support.

Geez, talk about easily pleased and excited by players at Sandy that average 5-10 touches a game….
Without beating down on Van Es, where exactly are the highlights in his 5-10 possession games? I’d prefer Zac Dawson at this stage.
[/quote]

Perhaps RtB could coax a 37yo Zac Dawson back to Moorabbin and we can put our future on the scrap heap! Makes perfect sense! 🤪

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I have a theory.
Our back 6 have been incredible in our wins, because they worked well together as a well-oiled machine, and Wood came back constantly to help out.
Their synergy masked Dougal's shortcomings.

In our losses, Wilkie was exposed (also, the Blues kept the ball away from him) by some tactics- they managed to separate Dougal and Wilkie somehow.
Just a theory

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee