How's Paddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: How's Paddy?

Uncivil and just pathetic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Mc Cartins need to be told to retire, in my opinion.

I look forward to some carts reply. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 12:53am The Mc Cartins need to be told to retire, in my opinion.

I look forward to some carts reply. :lol: :lol:
If you want a reaction, you need to insert a derogatory description which indicates your insensitivity to the trials Paddy and his brother have been through. Nevertheless, most would agree with you on Paddy.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I thought Paddy should have retired after leaving us. Concussion is no joke, and his circumstances are worse than any who have played the game before. I get the idea is "Play AFL or bust", but there is life after footy, and life outside of footy. If he feels like he's not complete without footy then that is understandable but sad.

He's played 50+ games, played for 2 clubs, including a grand final. I think he needs to hang his hat on that being his legacy, but I fear he won't unless he is banned from the game.

Banning him from the game sets a nasty precedent, and I'm not sure the AFL world is ready for the implications of that yet.

SaintWiki
Club Player

We know that concussion is a serious issue per se, and it's also threat to the AFL game as we know it. However, having a go at our recruiters and Paddy as well over this issue is a pretty vane IMHO. The recruiters took the risk of picking Paddy and if my memory serves me correctly there was massive pressure for a key full forward at the time and he ticked most of the boxes. I feel for Paddy and wish the best for him and hope to hell the AFL can manage the issue without compromising our great game too much. I feel our recruiting has been exceptional of late, so I will be spending my energy enjoying the recent recruitment results and hoping to hell it continues.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm not one for derailing threads, but when in Rome....

The recruitment is an interesting point in the context of where we were at.

Looking back, our 2013/14 list was about as bad as West Coast is now. In fact it seems surreal that we had Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt in the side only 10 years ago.

Players over 195cm on our list at the time:
Billy Longer
Lewis Pierce
Tom Hickey
Rhys Stanley (traded)
Spencer White
Josh Bruce

5 ruckmen and a defender (at the time).

We also had a 31 year old Nick Riewoldt.

From a midfield perspective, we had an old brigade, and a younger one full of promise coming through. Armitage and Steven in the middle to become the new leaders.
Hayes, 34
Montagna, 30
Jones, 30
Schneider, 29
Ray, 28
Armitage, 25
Steven, 24
Ross, 20
Dunstan, 19
Billings, 18

A bit more digging into that draft reveals we had picks 1, then 21 and 22 were our next picks.

The notable KP players picked after that point, not including academy picks or father/son were:
Dougal Howard 56

If we wanted a KPF, and we desperately did, it was Paddy or bust.

Unfortunately it was Paddy and bust.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/940749/mcca ... oms-linger
SYDNEY defender Paddy McCartin has been ruled out for the rest of the season with the 27-year-old still experiencing concussion symptoms almost eight weeks after copping a blow to the head at the SCG.