Melbourne...wheres the games biggest concern?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Melbourne...wheres the games biggest concern?

Our number one strategy has to be to NOT kicking long bombs into our forward line. I'd have King and Caminiti taking turns in coming well up the ground and kicking the ball low and even chaos balls and grubbers inside 50.

King Max
Club Player

Schillaci wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 7:20am Think Melbourne will win quite comfortably as with Oliver back they will just have too much class through the midfield. Windhager should try to minimise Petracca’s influence whilst winning his own share. The longer we are in it, the better chance we will have but it has the potential to blow out.
Agree with chaos entries into our forward line to put the Melbourne tall backs under pressure and our smalls on the front foot. King should also play deep and wide to force one of their backs to be more accountable and less likely to spoil as an extra at other contests.
Fritz out helps with Battle out for us.
A win would surprise but think we will go down by 3-4 goals.
Oliver out.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

bummer

insert correct emoticon .... 'here'

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne have only won 2 games in months.

Both were by less than a goal - and one of those was to the Gold Coast Suns.

Shut down Oliver (if he ends up playing) and we win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saint2
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 11:25pm King needs to sacrifice his game this week if we are any chance.
He's done bugger all in the last 3 games- maybe he should just start winning the ball and kicking goals

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Biggest concerns?
Midfield and attack.
We will get smashed in both those areas.

Our defence might hold up as they are a bit depleted in their forward line.

We will be hanging on for dear life the whole game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Steven May owns King -with Lever’s help

Much like Barass did

Hopefully King can get separation and get on the end of a few because May will outbody him with ease!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 8:18pm Steven May owns King -with Lever’s help

Much like Barass did

Hopefully King can get separation and get on the end of a few because May will outbody him with ease!

Hopefully he drags May and whoever else is on him up the ground and the guys out the back can do some damage.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King is an asset when he's on the run up the ground because there's less congestion and he gets a free jump at the footy.

He's probably the best field kick of all our forwards.

There was a passage of play in the 3rd quarter where Max King marked on the wing and boldly kicked the footy into the centre hitting Windy on the chest.

It had to be a perfect kick because it was high risk (you don't want turnovers in the centre of the ground). It came off and it led to a goal.

That sort of play is what we need from him and it'll give him opportunities to get his hands on the footy and contribute when we are looking to keep the footy out of the hands of Lever and May.

The more he gets his hands on the footy the more his confidence grows

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The dees have us covered over the entire field.
Our only hope is they continue their poor goal kicking .
If they kick straight RtB will be calling another Mulligan .
BTW how many Mulligan's do you get on a golf course before you win the naga award ?

In red white and black from 73
bakes
Club Player

They should start King on the wing for the first 10-15 minutes to get him involved in the game . Then move him forward .

I remembered when they moved Matthew Richardson to the wing to release the shackles and I think it’s a good ploy. King doesn’t have the tank though .

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Gee, I'm appreciative that we are not a bottom four team and we are actually playing for a top for position this week. Otherwise, our supporters would be whingeing and banging on about how St Kilda is perennially hopeless.

Perhaps our supporters have just evolved into perennial prophets of doom, evidenced by the Club's 60,000- strong membership but inability to attract a crowd of 30,000 to our home games. Perhaps our players look up at so many empty seats, feel a little deflated by the perceived lack of support and lose their mojo.

Whatever it is , cut the crap, get to Marvel Saturday night and barrack like it is the last game you will ever see. I am sick to death of turning up to OUR home games and noting more opposition supporters at the ground than our own. The last home game it was easy to see by the number of Lions' members behind the Bourke Street goals compared to Saints behind the La Trobe Street goals (still referred to as the Coventry and Lockett ends, although the signs have gone missing and I can't remember which is which).

So put down your phones and keyboards, get off your backsides and get to the game and give the team some real support.

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I will be there in spirit..I'm sure they will sense that.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 8:57am I will be there in spirit..I'm sure they will sense that.
I will be there drinking spirits..I'm sure they will hear that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 10:11am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 8:57am I will be there in spirit..I'm sure they will sense that.
I will be there drinking spirits..I'm sure they will hear that.
:lol: Send off a sledge for me

Ps beware of flying cucumber sandwiches, those Melbourne supporters are scary :lol:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 2:21am Gee, I'm appreciative that we are not a bottom four team and we are actually playing for a top for position this week. Otherwise, our supporters would be whingeing and banging on about how St Kilda is perennially hopeless.

Perhaps our supporters have just evolved into perennial prophets of doom, evidenced by the Club's 60,000- strong membership but inability to attract a crowd of 30,000 to our home games. Perhaps our players look up at so many empty seats, feel a little deflated by the perceived lack of support and lose their mojo.

Whatever it is , cut the crap, get to Marvel Saturday night and barrack like it is the last game you will ever see. I am sick to death of turning up to OUR home games and noting more opposition supporters at the ground than our own. The last home game it was easy to see by the number of Lions' members behind the Bourke Street goals compared to Saints behind the La Trobe Street goals (still referred to as the Coventry and Lockett ends, although the signs have gone missing and I can't remember which is which).

So put down your phones and keyboards, get off your backsides and get to the game and give the team some real support.
I'll be there as always, but Cranbourne/Pakenham and Frankston lines are still using train replacement buses for large sections of the trip into and out of the city until August. This year has been another shocking one for public transport in the southern suburbs. That would explain the reasonably low attendances despite the promising perfromances by the team.

We still have another month of this. No worries, once the season's over we will have reliable public transport!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 10:31am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 2:21am Gee, I'm appreciative that we are not a bottom four team and we are actually playing for a top for position this week. Otherwise, our supporters would be whingeing and banging on about how St Kilda is perennially hopeless.

I'll be there as always, but Cranbourne/Pakenham and Frankston lines are still using train replacement buses for large sections of the trip into and out of the city until August. This year has been another shocking one for public transport in the southern suburbs. That would explain the reasonably low attendances despite the promising perfromances by the team.

We still have another month of this. No worries, once the season's over we will have reliable public transport!
Try catching any train on the Gippsland line, I understand this. But I think the poor crowd issue has been going on for the past decade. Drive, catch a tram, cycle of a speed boat up the Yarra. Be there or be square.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

1) I think our biggest concern, is general lethargy. And...

2) Coaching panel need to be ON THEIR TOES!

3) We've been in patchy form, to say the least.

4) Seem to be able to re-group a bit and maintain parity with oppo after dreadful quarters. If Melbourne get a sniff, they might run.

5) Melbourne have never been so vulnerable. There is blood in the water, for both teams.

My Rant
Maybe they should consider re-introducing the ferry service from Mornington to Melbourne.

I cannot think of any other cities in the world where they can get away with shutting down so much of the service like this. Even when they built the original city loop, they didn't shut things down like this. Sure, the trains slowed down, but they didn't stop! I can't believe how it is tolerated. It has been happening since the late 90's early '00s. Shutting down entire lines for some signal work etc., what a croc.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 1:22pm 1) I think our biggest concern, is general lethargy. And...

4) Seem to be able to re-group a bit and maintain parity with oppo after dreadful quarters. If Melbourne get a sniff, they might run.

5) Melbourne have never been so vulnerable. There is blood in the water, for both teams.

My Rant
Maybe they should consider re-introducing the ferry service from Mornington to Melbourne.

I cannot think of any other cities in the world where they can get away with shutting down so much of the service like this. Even when they built the original city loop, they didn't shut things down like this. Sure, the trains slowed down, but they didn't stop! I can't believe how it is tolerated. It has been happening since the late 90's early '00s. Shutting down entire lines for some signal work etc., what a croc.
Should be like cities like London, Tokyo, etc. Signals and line work should all be done at night after midnight.

I have no idea why the lines are closed for so long - metro tunnel? Underground line to Box Hill? Dunno.

But they should at least hire bus drivers who could find their way around the suburbs they are driving in.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 2:15pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 1:22pm 1) I think our biggest concern, is general lethargy. And...

My Rant

Should be like cities like London, Tokyo, etc. Signals and line work should all be done at night after midnight.

I have no idea why the lines are closed for so long - metro tunnel? Underground line to Box Hill? Dunno.

But they should at least hire bus drivers who could find their way around the suburbs they are driving in.
I am rapt that they invest in suburban rail. That we still even have trams is also good. Liberal governments of the past would have closed down the lot and tore them up (even NSW labor would too) and built freeways and encouraged an LA style sprawl to Ballarat-Geelong-Seymour-Warragul.

But this is BS

How much money are they paying all those contractors to drive buses, clog up the roads, wave people from shuttle point A to point B ? Does anyone know? I suppose they are in a hurry and have friends and connections they owe favors to or have tacit agreements with.. urghh

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe because 30,000 of them live interstate.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
flack
Club Player

With Oliver and Fritz out I'd like to think the coaches can motivate the boys to play like they know how to. This is our Grand Final. If we don't beat the Demons with those two missing we may as well book holidays for September.

BadRossco
Club Player

My worry is that they will turn up, probably all they will need to do

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Watching the flaky Saints play every week is driving me to drink.

I'll have to get a bottle of Scotch whilst i'm out and about tomorrow.

A couple of sippers to keep me calm, ish. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

It’s just really simple. Don’t kick it to May and Lever all fvcking night. If we do what we did with Harris Andrews and James Sicily then, that shows the players are incredibly dumb and not even nearly as coachable as RtB proclaims.

Novel idea … as soon as the footy is forward of centre - smash it in hard and deep along the ground. No intercept marks there. Butler and Billings press hard - King is as good below his knees as in the air.

Go you red, black & white warriors