Bailey Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Bailey Smith

Lol.

My point is a simple one really. Bytel has had multiple opportunities this year to get a spot in the starting 22 and hasn't been able to grasp them.

In addition he has been desperately unlucky with the timing of some of his injuries.

I know he has been playing well in the VFL (amd doe the record I watch most weeks) and as I have said multiple times I'm a fan of the kid BUT, he hasn't been dominant in a way that forces the team to pick him the next week- instead he needs to play well multiple weeks in a row to get his chance or wait for a relevant opportunity in the side to come up.

Whether you, I, Scalloped Patatoes or anyone else likes it the reality is he is clearly been placed in a pecking order behind the below as a midfielder.

Steele
Crouch
Ross
Clark
Jones
Gresham
Sinclair

I hope he is still on our list next year, but unless we've given up on the year, we get injuries to mids or he bangs down the door with 2 or 3 exceptional performances in a row I also hope he doesn't get picked.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playing Sunday and about f****** time.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hope he does well.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 7:30am Lol.

My point is a simple one really. Bytel has had multiple opportunities this year to get a spot in the starting 22 and hasn't been able to grasp them.

In addition he has been desperately unlucky with the timing of some of his injuries.

I know he has been playing well in the VFL (amd doe the record I watch most weeks) and as I have said multiple times I'm a fan of the kid BUT, he hasn't been dominant in a way that forces the team to pick him the next week- instead he needs to play well multiple weeks in a row to get his chance or wait for a relevant opportunity in the side to come up.

Whether you, I, Scalloped Patatoes or anyone else likes it the reality is he is clearly been placed in a pecking order behind the below as a midfielder.

Steele
Crouch
Ross
Clark
Jones
Gresham
Sinclair

I hope he is still on our list next year, but unless we've given up on the year, we get injuries to mids or he bangs down the door with 2 or 3 exceptional performances in a row I also hope he doesn't get picked.
Here's the thing -right

It doesn't take much to see and witness talent. You can see it in a quarter of football. I don't care if they haven't done it consistently for 6 full games in a row. I've seen glimpses and there's enough for me to say we should back him in.

Ross Lyon didn't do it with Armitage, or Jack Steven or Tom Lynch or Jamie Cripps...to mention a few. They weren’t backed in.

Two of these guys (Steven and Armo) could have helped us win a Grand Final. The other two were lost to other clubs and had long and valued careers

St Kilda made a mistake in recruiting B Crouch imo, when we already had Jack on the list. We have seen Brad's top level. I think Bytel can surpass him. I’m not talking about meaningless possession stats either. I’m talking about effective centre clearances and stoppage clearances. We will see Bytel's peak in 2025 and beyond.

I know what a talented kid like Bytel will give me when he's called upon. I believe he has the character to persist and to improve and to be a leader.

Ohhhh...one other thing...quit with the name calling you fkn stupid prick...please :mrgreen:

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Revisionist history and hindsight.

Steven and Armo were not the players they were at the peak of their powers early days. We've already discussed the impact RL had on the likes of Lachie Neales development which has some credibility rather than opinion.

I don't have an issue with Bytel- I also think he is talented and hope he dominates.

What I do have an issue with is false narratives like

"he isn't getting a go under Ross Lyon"
when he has in fact had more of a go than most and is yet again getting another one. Where ge has missed out it has often been the case he was injured the week before or had only played one game coming back from injury.

Or

"RL hasn't been giving the kids a go and is coaching for the right now"

When we have see. Owens, Wang, Windy, Byrne's, Pou, Peris, Bytel, Hammer and Sharman repeatedly picked and given opportunities- even through runs of bad form.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 21 Jul 2023 8:46am Revisionist history and hindsight.

Steven and Armo were not the players they were at the peak of their powers early days. We've already discussed the impact RL had on the likes of Lachie Neales development which has some credibility rather than opinion.

I don't have an issue with Bytel- I also think he is talented and hope he dominates.

What I do have an issue with is false narratives like

"he isn't getting a go under Ross Lyon"
when he has in fact had more of a go than most and is yet again getting another one. Where ge has missed out it has often been the case he was injured the week before or had only played one game coming back from injury.

Or

"RL hasn't been giving the kids a go and is coaching for the right now"

When we have see. Owens, Wang, Windy, Byrne's, Pou, Peris, Bytel, Hammer and Sharman repeatedly picked and given opportunities- even through runs of bad form.
Also - Jamie Cripps had one season under Ross Lyon before he left.
He played 4 games as a first year player and had an average of 6 possessions per game.
Not sure that is good enough to break into a team who played in 2 GF's the previous two years.

Jamie Cripps leaving had nothing to do with Ross Lyon.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."