Saints record a loss for 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

There is something wrong with the way the AFL is structured or something wrong with the way our club is structured if playing in finals is a loss maker.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:plus we won 300,000 odd for Nab cup which has to taken into account as well
Exactly, that's a $745,000 dollar loss if not for the Nab Cup win!

You can also spin it the other way, Archie!

Fact is Footy First are presiding over a disaster of their own making and expect the spin to come thick and thicker, just like themselves really!

When the cycle turns, which it inevitably will and this football club finds itself once again near the bottom of the ladder, located in the back blocks of Seaford, with it's true soul and essence diminished, one step closer to being merged or relocated and to thank for this mess, we will have Gdanski and the tunnel vision of the current board to thank, for their legacy will be the white elephant otherwise referred to as Belvedere Park, a club in the wilderness, looking like the next Fitzroy and a decreasing membership, comparatively lower than the Bulldogs, then you'll all know, too late unfortunately, but crystal clear as daylight, that the club has been divided, broken up and yes the s*** has truly hit the fan!

That's where this is heading and Footy First are full of spin, subterfuge, tunnel vision, disingenuous disrespect, and are way out of their depth!

When the question was put to a long serving current player about his thoughts on Belvedere Park, he said privately, " Yeah a few of the boys are not really happy with it"!

It will be that much harder to retain and attract star players to our club, with it located in the back blocks of Seaford.

Make no mistake here, the St kilda football club has once again shot itself in the foot and the ramifications of this will also impact on this club financially!

And in a cynical attempt to improve the bottomline the club now force Level 2 members to become Social Club members and without any consultation or warning, send out literature to these members which states, quote" WE HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY" unquote, to adjust your fees accordingly, to screw you over and if you do not tick this box you will lose your seat!

That's Footy First's way of attempting to raise revenue, to try and cover their arses, but honestly, given their abysmal showing so far, organizing a chook raffle would be beyond them.

A vacant lot relocating the football club to a vacant lot in Seaford and they dress this up as progress, perleeeeeeeeeeze!

And to think that Gdanski has the hide and the gall to question Butterss's, business acumen, yeah righto!

They should be all booted immediately before they truly destroy this club!

They are a FAIR DINKUM disgrace!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
chook23 wrote:plus we won 300,000 odd for Nab cup which has to taken into account as well

Fact is Footy First are presiding over a disaster of their own making and expect the spin to come thick and thicker, just like themselves really!

When the cycle turns, which it inevitably will and this football club finds itself once again near the bottom of the ladder, located in the back blocks of Seaford, with it's true soul and essence diminished, one step closer to being merged or relocated and to thank for this mess, we will have Gdanski and the tunnel vision of the current board to thank, for their legacy will be the white elephant otherwise referred to as Belvedere Park, a club in the wilderness, looking like the next Fitzroy and a decreasing membership, comparatively lower than the Bulldogs, then you'll all know, too late unfortunately, but crystal clear as daylight, that the club has been divided, broken up and yes the s*** has truly hit the fan!

That's where this is heading and Footy First are full of spin, subterfuge, tunnel vision, disingenuous disrespect, and are way out of their depth!

When the question was put to a long serving current player about his thoughts on Belvedere Park, he said privately, " Yeah a few of the boys are not really happy with it"!

It will be that much harder to retain and attract star players to our club, with it located in the back blocks of Seaford.

Make no mistake here, the St kilda football club has once again shot itself in the foot and the ramifications of this will also impact on this club financially!

And in a cynical attempt to improve the bottomline the club now force Level 2 members to become Social Club members and without any consultation or warning, send out literature to these members which states, quote" WE HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY" unquote, to adjust your fees accordingly, to screw you over and if you do not tick this box you will lose your seat!

That's Footy First's way of attempting to raise revenue, to try and cover their arses, but honestly, given their abysmal showing so far, organizing a chook raffle would be beyond them.

A vacant lot relocating the football club to a vacant lot in Seaford and they dress this up as progress, perleeeeeeeeeeze!

And to think that Gdanski has the hide and the gall to question Butterss's, business acumen, yeah righto!

so you were only banned for a few days for your anti-jewish claptrap...

interesting...it would be great if the mods could actually do a decent job and keep him out

apparently he had been 'taken care of'....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

B$E, take A LONG walk off a short peir. There is no way I could read even half that diatribe. Its the same old bulls*** with you ALL the time. So fricking boring. Just get over it.

Rixroxruck

:D

Moron!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:B$E, take A LONG walk off a short peir. There is no way I could read even half that diatribe. Its the same old bulls*** with you ALL the time. So fricking boring. Just get over it.

Rixroxruck

:D

Moron!
This is warning to you. Do not have a go at a poster like B4E as he never repeats himself and has always something new to say.

Your first offical B4E warning one more and you must repeat one post over and over again.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So solar - still want to have a go at me for posting that we had a significant loss.

You were up arms about my wording.

Like to retract???

$500k loss is Ok by you is it???

FF is an out and out disaster.

Multiple losses, destroying the loyalty of long time and paid up members by forcing them to pay $125 more a year for one game less, membership tumbling.

You all rush to oust Butterss. Unseemly and, as usual, in the great tradition of St.Kilda, looking for the white knight, the messiah, to take you to the promised land.

Well promised is correct. Westaway promised to spend in a way even a drunken sailor would be concerned about, resulting in a spiralling defecit.

I asked at the time, where was the money coming from and was howled down by the all knowing mob.

Well you reap what you sow. And this admininstration is sowing the seeds of doom for our club.

B4E gets pilloried for his belief that Seaford is a killer blow. I dont agree - but if Barks is correct, with our finances decimated by this admin, the Saints long term future looks bleak indeed.

This admin needs to at least break even in 2009. Not a profit, just to break even. If they can do this in tough economic times they have done a good job.

However considering they made a mess of the books in boom times, I highly doubt they will do anything but continue to make losses in the next couple of years ahead.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

interesting...it would be great if the mods could actually do a decent job and keep him out

Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Does it matter that we have a loss?

Would it matter if the AFL 'propped' us up?

The AFL owns us, and the comp, and the 'fans' anyway, so what's wrong with them keeping us afloat?

5-10 years ago it would have horrified me. Now, I don't really see the problem.

The Saints don't have a soul anymore anyway, the AFL owns the club. So big deal.

Surely the only important thing is that we made the top 4 last year?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:So solar - still want to have a go at me for posting that we had a significant loss.

Like to retract???

Multiple losses, destroying the loyalty of long time and paid up members by forcing them to pay $125 more a year for one game less, membership tumbling.

You all rush to oust Butterss. Unseemly and, as usual, in the great tradition of St.Kilda, looking for the white knight, the messiah, to take you to the promised land.

Well promised is correct. Westaway promised to spend in a way even a drunken sailor would be concerned about, resulting in a spiralling defecit.

I asked at the time, where was the money coming from and was howled down by the all knowing mob.

Well you reap what you sow. And this admininstration is sowing the seeds of doom for our club.

B4E gets pilloried for his belief that Seaford is a killer blow. I dont agree - but if Barks is correct, with our finances decimated by this admin, the Saints long term future looks bleak indeed.

This admin needs to at least break even in 2009. Not a profit, just to break even. If they can do this in tough economic times they have done a good job.

However considering they made a mess of the books in boom times, I highly doubt they will do anything but continue to make losses in the next couple of years ahead.
I can see your arument re where the money was to come from. My decision to vote out Butthead was based on my belief that his position was no longer tenable (spelling?).

He oversaw the sham appointment of GT as coach... his sacking... as well as the MB fiasco.

Whilst he remained at the helm, I suspect that the ongoing feud between himself and GT would have continued... much to the detriment of the club.

I applaud him for getting it back into the black, but it appears this was on the back of cost cutting as opposed to finding revenue sources.

Part of that was to sack the membership guru to save a few bucks, which has since proven disasterous given the stagnation in memberships.

It also came at the expense of appeasing the AFL by running a thight spending regime, which was detriment to our on field performance.

Now, back on topic... can someone explain the terms of our sponsorship which is "back ended"?

As I see it, if it increases by 1/2 mill this year, and spending remains constnt, then surely the loss would be wiped out?

Or am being simplistic. Please shed some light (without the criticism of the admin). Thx JB.

Cheers

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints43
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:He (Butterss) oversaw the sham appointment of GT as coach... his sacking... as well as the MB fiasco.
Correct me if I'm wrong - I may be misremembering.

Didn't Robert Walls intervene to have Ross Lyon interviewed for the coaching position despite him not being short-listed by the recruitment consultants.

If so, wouldn't that mean that the selection process was not followed in appointing the current coach either?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again
again thank you for telling me what i should be concerned about...thank you so much...

since when isn't it any of my concern...i was offended big time by his comments...and no it wasnt 2 weeks ago...it was alot shorter...closer to one week i would suspect...but let's roll with two if it sounds better for your 'authority'...

but one might ask...how does someone get so many free rides through...the bans arent even the correct time...two weeks my foot!!!

but that's okay right???hel'l buy you a beer or two and continue to ramble on about everything negative about the st kilda football club....which sadly is everything

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote: I can see your arument re where the money was to come from. My decision to vote out Butthead was based on my belief that his position was no longer tenable (spelling?).

He oversaw the sham appointment of GT as coach... his sacking... as well as the MB fiasco.

Whilst he remained at the helm, I suspect that the ongoing feud between himself and GT would have continued... much to the detriment of the club.

I applaud him for getting it back into the black, but it appears this was on the back of cost cutting as opposed to finding revenue sources.

Part of that was to sack the membership guru to save a few bucks, which has since proven disasterous given the stagnation in memberships.

It also came at the expense of appeasing the AFL by running a thight spending regime, which was detriment to our on field performance.

Now, back on topic... can someone explain the terms of our sponsorship which is "back ended"?

As I see it, if it increases by 1/2 mill this year, and spending remains constnt, then surely the loss would be wiped out?

Or am being simplistic. Please shed some light (without the criticism of the admin). Thx JB.

Cheers
A couple of points WJ42.

Butters didn't sack David Friend (the Membership Manager). Butters and the then Board sacked Brian Waldron for 'off-field activities' and when BW was appointed to the job at Melbourne Storm, Friend resigned to form his own 'consultancy business' whose first client was Melbourne Storm. Friend offered to work as a 'consultant to St Kilda re membership dept activities but the then Administration chose to promote Friend's 2IC, Ben Hall, and not replace Ben's position, thereby saving a significant sum.

As for a 'back-ended sponsorship, I think it could gp like this:-

$5 million in total to be paid
$1 million the first year
$1.75 million the second year
$2.25 million the third year
(These figures are pure supposition on my part)

So yes, if spending is kept under control and if other revenue streams hold up, you would expect the Club to operate at a profit in 2009.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote: I can see your arument re where the money was to come from. My decision to vote out Butthead was based on my belief that his position was no longer tenable (spelling?).

Cheers
A couple of points WJ42.

Butters didn't sack David Friend (the Membership Manager). Butters and the then Board sacked Brian Waldron for 'off-field activities' and when BW was appointed to the job at Melbourne Storm, Friend resigned to form his own 'consultancy business' whose first client was Melbourne Storm. Friend offered to work as a 'consultant to St Kilda re membership dept activities but the then Administration chose to promote Friend's 2IC, Ben Hall, and not replace Ben's position, thereby saving a significant sum.

As for a 'back-ended sponsorship, I think it could gp like this:-

$5 million in total to be paid
$1 million the first year
$1.75 million the second year
$2.25 million the third year
(These figures are pure supposition on my part)

So yes, if spending is kept under control and if other revenue streams hold up, you would expect the Club to operate at a profit in 2009.
Thx mate. PM me if ure heading down this arvo

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

rogerfox has hit the nail on the head

we are a 1/16th (18th) licence of the afl & thats all we are...one day down the track be it 10,20,30 yrs the afl will dictate what becomes of that licence

imo take our licence & our colours (thats all we have)to a place of our choosing not at the afl's demand

the enevitable will happen its just a case of when ...i'm prepared to be shot for treason

re banning...what would this place be without the likes of barks,joffaboy,rogerfox etc...nothing more than an offshot of saints.com

we have differing opinions ie barks wants to go back to the junction whereas i want to go to the goldcoast

maybe someone can ask archie where the club see's us in 20-30 yrs

Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:So solar - still want to have a go at me for posting that we had a significant loss.

Like to retract???

not going to bother with your post after the first two lines... cheap, really cheap....

all I said at the time was lets wait and see. The loss is a terrible result. Go give yourself high fives for being right :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: not going to bother with your post after the first two lines... cheap, really cheap....

all I said at the time was lets wait and see. The loss is a terrible result. Go give yourself high fives for being right :roll:
Well you were all for defending the club and having a go at me.

You were WRONG. Nice to fess up and admit instead of finding excuses :wink:

And if my comments are Cheap mabye Westaway and his ragtag bunch of incompetents will buy them. Probably at a premium though considering the way they have spent like Ganesha or Shiva was handing out the members money.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again
Sorry Michael but that is CRAP!

b4e posted on Friday Jan the 30th and has now posted today Friday the 6th of Feb...

That's just 6 days.... and NOT TWO WEEKS!

He is a serial pest and I just hate posters referring to b4e as barks

Pathetic IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
GreatNo9s
Club Player

Can someone tell me...

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when we make finals but have key players injured becuase we are too cheap to have proper medical staff ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit with the smallest playing list in the league with no new kids coming through ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when members are treated simply as a profit centre and any suggestions by membership staff to provide a scarf & cap are summarily dismissed ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when we can't retain sponsors because we have the smallest admin / marketing team in the League and cant deliver what we've sold ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when the player facilities at Linton St are crap and that vital 1% extra may have got us in a GF ?

I continually shake my head at amazement and digust at blokes like B4E and others spouting off about complex issues that this Board are dealing with.

It's not the Heathmont U14's we're dealing with.

It's a $25m business that is over governed by the AFL in the most competitive market in the world. Can anyone tell me a city in the world that has 12 professional sporting teams ?

While the L2 seating issue could have been handled better, IMO this Board is doing a reasonable job. Not a good job, not a bad job but a reasonable one.

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GreatNo9s wrote:Can someone tell me...

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when we make finals but have key players injured becuase we are too cheap to have proper medical staff ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit with the smallest playing list in the league with no new kids coming through ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when members are treated simply as a profit centre and any suggestions by membership staff to provide a scarf & cap are summarily dismissed ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when we can't retain sponsors because we have the smallest admin / marketing team in the League and cant deliver what we've sold ?

What's the point of a $1.0m profit when the player facilities at Linton St are crap and that vital 1% extra may have got us in a GF ?

I continually shake my head at amazement and digust at blokes like B4E and others spouting off about complex issues that this Board are dealing with.

It's a $25m business that is over governed by the AFL in the most competitive market in the world. Can anyone tell me a city in the world that has 12 professional sporting teams ?

While the L2 seating issue could have been handled better, IMO this Board is doing a reasonable job. Not a good job, not a bad job but a reasonable one.
I think one point is we do not have to ask for handouts. Profits are very important and anyone who disregards that is really putting the club under extreme pressure.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote: I just hate posters referring to b4e as barks
I tend to agree with this statement, I wish we could all try to refer to him as B4E... He has even said himself he has never been comfortable being referred to as Barks.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Solar wrote: not going to bother with your post after the first two lines... cheap, really cheap....

Well you were all for defending the club and having a go at me.

You were WRONG. Nice to fess up and admit instead of finding excuses :wink:

And if my comments are Cheap mabye Westaway and his ragtag bunch of incompetents will buy them. Probably at a premium though considering the way they have spent like Ganesha or Shiva was handing out the members money.
hey I admit you were right....

but don't go off half cocked without any evidence and expect me to follow you. I told you to keep your powder dry but you went off anyway. Lucky for you your call was correct..... wont stop me doing the same in the future :wink:

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GreatNo9s wrote:Can someone tell me...

I think one point is we do not have to ask for handouts. Profits are very important and anyone who disregards that is really putting the club under extreme pressure.
the only real negative of taking a handout currently is that the AFL forces you to reduce your salary cap.....

I guess in the above example the club controls this type of reduction....

FQF
In richo I trust

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: and no it wasnt 2 weeks ago...it was alot shorter...closer to one week i would suspect...but let's roll with two if it sounds better for your 'authority'...

but one might ask...how does someone get so many free rides through...the bans arent even the correct time...two weeks my foot!!!

but that's okay right???hel'l buy you a beer or two and continue to ramble on about everything negative about the st kilda football club....which sadly is everything
I was banned for more than two weeks,

banned on the 10/1/09
ban lifted on the 28/1/09

You do the maths and you'll find that the square is rooted!
saint66au wrote: Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again
St Fidelius wrote:

Sorry Michael but that is CRAP!

b4e posted on Friday Jan the 30th and has now posted today Friday the 6th of Feb...

That's just 6 days.... and NOT TWO WEEKS!

He is a serial pest and I just hate posters referring to b4e as barks

Pathetic IMO
banned 10/1/09
ban lifted 28/1/09

I don't really like having to repeat myself, but if you bother to do the maths, you'll find that the squares are rooted!

And just for the record, I don't lurk here 24/7, unlike some!
I sometimes don't log in or read the site for a week at a time and when I do, it's usually a quick glance at the thread topics and I probably only enter about two threads and in most instances, I just read, don't post and then I'm outta here!

Afterall it is summer and not winter!

P.S Is there any chance that this thread can remain ON TOPIC, with people actually offering an opinion on the matter, as opposed to opinions of other posters :?:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
marksnsparks
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:
Caroline Wilson wrote:The windows and doors group was one of several key AFL club sponsors that expressed some misgivings over plans to recruit Ben Cousins.
should read:
The windows and doors group were one of several key AFL club sponsors that expressed some misgivings over plans to recruit Ben Cousins.
Au contraire d**khead. Jeld Wen group is a single entity, so singular was.

Carro may have a face like a blind cobblers thumb, but she knows her grammar.

Speaking of which, I'm assuming Grammer wasn't in the name of the school you attended....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just a couple of things...

barks was banned for 2 weeks....St Fid and SP2008...just because you dont like the guy doesnt give you the right to put your 5c worth in about how long he was away for. Just worry about your own backyard k?

marksnsparks..correct peoples grammer if you must, but the d***hed taunt was out of line and will score you a warning next time

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor