Does it suit us to be the underdog?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I could be imagining it, but it appears like the media is almost having a go at the guys for getting us (open training) out of the way on Monday?

I watched AFL360 last night, and they were commending Collingwood on doing grand final week 'so well' and I just couldn't understand the sentiment behind it?

For mine, isn't doing GF week well, doing everything you possibly can to prepare for the opposition?

I don't feel neglected, I am full of admiration for their dedication to doing their absolute best to win this thing.
Just an opinion....agree with sentiment of your post but also think the way Coll have allowed the access/treatment of supporter base has been part of the ride feel.....
don't get me wrong of course it is about winning but our supporter base was advised late Sunday for early morning Monday etc and for the rest of the week keep away feel

Can see why media could suggest Pies are embracing their supporter group/traditions of GF week better.....etc

Choice thing by the Clubs though........
For mine GF week ain't a marketing exercise.

Got all year for that s***.

Pies can do it all they like.

Leave the weirdo player training stalking to them.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I could be imagining it, but it appears like the media is almost having a go at the guys for getting us (open training) out of the way on Monday?

I watched AFL360 last night, and they were commending Collingwood on doing grand final week 'so well' and I just couldn't understand the sentiment behind it?

For mine, isn't doing GF week well, doing everything you possibly can to prepare for the opposition?

I don't feel neglected, I am full of admiration for their dedication to doing their absolute best to win this thing.
Just an opinion....agree with sentiment of your post but also think the way Coll have allowed the access/treatment of supporter base has been part of the ride feel.....
don't get me wrong of course it is about winning but our supporter base was advised late Sunday for early morning Monday etc and for the rest of the week keep away feel

Can see why media could suggest Pies are embracing their supporter group/traditions of GF week better.....etc

Choice thing by the Clubs though........
For mine GF week ain't a marketing exercise.

Got all year for that s***.

Pies can do it all they like.

Leave the weirdo player training stalking to them.
Not just Coll doing it.

All Clubs have done it over the years........

As I said our choice to go down the path of a virtually closed shop.....Not a Pies thing...

If it helps...... but does it...dont think it can be measured......

weirdo thing training stalking......or just a chance for the vast majority of members to show support because they cant get into the big dance

saint4life
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood, for all of their supposedly ferocious tackling, only laid 77 last week. Their record is something in the eighties.

Geelong laid 96 on us in last year's decider.

There is some crap article by David King called "Intercept Men" in the Hun. Basically he has cherry picked the stat "Possession Gains" in between the arcs which Collingwood lead by a mile this year. (St Kilda are second.)

He then goes on to somehow correlate this with a defensive battle between O'Brien and Maxwell versus Fisher and Gilbert.

Being curious, I then looked up Fisher and Gilbert's marking stats. Both top 5. I looked for O'Brien and Maxwell... oops... neither of them top 100.

Our back 6 averages 40 marks per game. Theirs, 27. Mind the gap, Pies.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Collingwood, for all of their supposedly ferocious tackling, only laid 77 last week. Their record is something in the eighties.

There is some crap article by David King called "Intercept Men" in the Hun. Basically he has cherry picked the stat "Possession Gains" in between the arcs which Collingwood lead by a mile this year. (St Kilda are second.)

He then goes on to somehow correlate this with a defensive battle between O'Brien and Maxwell versus Fisher and Gilbert.

Being curious, I then looked up Fisher and Gilbert's marking stats. Both top 5. I looked for O'Brien and Maxwell... oops... neither of them top 100.

I love how a bloke who couldn't even get an interview to coach Richmond is slowly but surely becoming quite the mouthy 'expert'.

Didn't like him much as a player. Now I just think he's funny in a sad way.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Collingwood, for all of their supposedly ferocious tackling, only laid 77 last week. Their record is something in the eighties.

I don't care who in the media tips us, but you should of heard this guy on AFL 360 last night, had absolutely no concept at how St Kilda play at all.

They all talked about how Dawson, Blake and Gwilt only chip kick around the backline.

No problems there unless the intention wasn't to be factual, given that Gwilt has had more inside 50's than Harry O'Brien this year.

Like I said, the support for Collingwood is fine, but I expect guys in the media to at least understand the game.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Noted.

Whateley is a capable talker, but what he says is kind of vacant. Lots of words for nil output.

Besides, his logic for tipping Collingwood at the end was so unnecessarily bizarre that I almost threw my workboot at the new Panasonic.

Is it me or does Robbo have the pallor of a bloke with liver disease? He looks terribly unwell...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Not just Coll doing it.

All Clubs have done it over the years........

As I said our choice to go down the path of a virtually closed shop.....Not a Pies thing...

If it helps...... but does it...dont think it can be measured......

weirdo thing training stalking......or just a chance for the vast majority of members to show support because they cant get into the big dance
Nah. If the club wants to do it this way because it thinks it gives us the best chance, then let 'em at it.

Had all year to show support. Whether or not you're clapping a Dal Santo run through would have about as much bearing on the result as the weather in Vladivostok IMO.

This week, just let em do their thing I say.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week.
You have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year. They don't care about adulation or favouritism, they just want to win the ultimate prize.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Refer to above response. They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing. Nobody remembers the hype or the flag favourites from Grand Final week. All they remember and all history shows is who wins the Cup. The rest is irrelevant. This team knows that.
Obviously, you say? Really, why, because you say so? Perhaps, unlike you, I just don't believe everything I'm told. Of course they're going to say that. Did you just come down in the last shower? What else are they going to say?
Maybe some of them are absolutely 100% solely motivated by winning a premiership, but, unless I'm greatly mistaken, they're "human" and have ego's, unless they're some sort of freak of nature and if any of them happen to see any of the saturated media coverage Colingwood are getting, they may be slightly miffed and it may be a "tiny" spur, as I said. If you think all 22 of them are 100% completely impervious to outside influences I'd say you're kidding yourself. Unless of course you've looked into the minds of all 22 of them and seen that not one of them has an ego, whatsoever. That's how they would be in a "perfect world", but that's not how things are. I wish it was and that all 22 are 100% motivated by a premiership alone, but that's massively unlikely, unless they're not "human".
We just need to be sure we're more focused on it than Collingwood.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:I really like the low-profile attitude St.Kilda is maintaing this week. Closed session training/cloke of secrecy, real psychological stuff!
The bubble is working its magic! ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Furphy wrote:I really like the low-profile attitude St.Kilda is maintaing this week. Closed session training/cloke of secrecy, real psychological stuff!
I appreciate where you're coming from, but didn't we do the same thing last year? It didn't exactly work out, from memory.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
I appreciate where you're coming from, but didn't we do the same thing last year? It didn't exactly work out, from memory.
It was on the Tuesday, later in the day, massive crowd...the players progressively trickled out and stayed out a long time, signed autographs.

This time it was much more low key, IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it, if we were favourites we would say it suits us to be favourites. Both sides supporters are clutching at anything at the moment that we thinks helps us win the flag. None of which will really help.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saint75 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week.
You have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year. They don't care about adulation or favouritism, they just want to win the ultimate prize.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Refer to above response. They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing. Nobody remembers the hype or the flag favourites from Grand Final week. All they remember and all history shows is who wins the Cup. The rest is irrelevant. This team knows that.
Obviously, you say? Really, why, because you say so? Perhaps, unlike you, I just don't believe everything I'm told. Of course they're going to say that. Did you just come down in the last shower? What else are they going to say?
Not because I say, just the way it is. Actions not words....:wink:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Maybe some of them are absolutely 100% solely motivated by winning a premiership, but, unless I'm greatly mistaken, they're "human" and have ego's, unless they're some sort of freak of nature and if any of them happen to see any of the saturated media coverage Colingwood are getting, they may be slightly miffed and it may be a "tiny" spur, as I said. If you think all 22 of them are 100% completely impervious to outside influences I'd say you're kidding yourself. Unless of course you've looked into the minds of all 22 of them and seen that not one of them has an ego, whatsoever. That's how they would be in a "perfect world", but that's not how things are. I wish it was and that all 22 are 100% motivated by a premiership alone, but that's massively unlikely, unless they're not "human".
We just need to be sure we're more focused on it than Collingwood.

Of course they are human. However, what do you think is going to dent your pride more? Hearing everyone pump up your tyres only to lose? I want this team to be 100% focussed on winning a game that means EVERYTHING! The Saints are in the bubble. They would not even have seen or heard much of the crap going around. Why? The reason is because they are not sitting down and watching every article posted, every footy show offering an opinion or every 2nd person in Melbourne offering their 2 bobs worth.

I myself this year have been selective in what I watch and read as compared to last year where I felt a need to soak up everything. I tape all the footy shows and only watch the parts that cover the Saints, I have not picked up a newspaper, I only read the online articles with headings that I believe I am interested in reading and have listened to minimal radio. Of course there are still people making comments around me, but I just greet these with 'Saturday will tell the story'. No cockiness or smart alec comebacks, enough of those going around by filth supporters. So I am feeling extremely positive and confident instead of wanting to throw something at the TV because I feel that we are being hard done by from the footy world at large. Gotta say, there is something to this 'Saints Bubble'. Not inside the inner sanctums bubble, but I am in the 'Saints Supporters Bubble'. Loving every minute of it! GO SAINTERS!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Lets face it, if we were favourites we would say it suits us to be favourites. Both sides supporters are clutching at anything at the moment that we thinks helps us win the flag. None of which will really help.
Not true. We may try to skew it in our favour and have about 10, 5 page threads on it, but to be honest, it is better to be the underdog. Weight of expectation and all that.......:P

We are in a VERY good position right now. Not so much because we are the underdogs, but because over 90% of our team where there last year. THAT is our distinct advantage. The way we have handled GF week and our low key build up is evidence of this.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

This will be the football world's version of Rocky 4! :) :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets face it, if we were favourites we would say it suits us to be favourites. Both sides supporters are clutching at anything at the moment that we thinks helps us win the flag. None of which will really help.
Not true. We may try to skew it in our favour and have about 10, 5 page threads on it, but to be honest, it is better to be the underdog. Weight of expectation and all that.......:P

We are in a VERY good position right now. Not so much because we are the underdogs, but because over 90% of our team where there last year. THAT is our distinct advantage. The way we have handled GF week and our low key build up is evidence of this.
I totally disagree. So if we were favourites you would be writing that the pies are in a good position because they are underdogs. Rubbish. You would be saying it is good to be favourite and rightly so.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, so what?

Let the people have their say in this special week. What does it matter?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:

I totally disagree. So if we were favourites you would be writing that the pies are in a good position because they are underdogs. Rubbish. You would be saying it is good to be favourite and rightly so.
My turn to totally disagree. I would be writing that I would prefer to be the underdog and would encourage all to talk up the opposition wherever possible. Not much you can do if you are the favourite, but my preference would be to definitely go in as the underdog.

Thank you for trying to tell me what I would be saying though. Your help is appreciated. :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:

My turn to totally disagree. I would be writing that I would prefer to be the underdog and would encourage all to talk up the opposition wherever possible. Not much you can do if you are the favourite, but my preference would be to definitely go in as the underdog.

Thank you for trying to tell me what I would be saying though. Your help is appreciated. :lol:
Funny what some people really believe.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Funny what some people really believe.
Look at that, we can agree! :P

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah, so what?

I must have missed where I wrote it mattered. Just putting a different point of view in. Is that ok with you?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah, so what?

I must have missed where I wrote it mattered. Just putting a different point of view in. Is that ok with you?
Don't know :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah, so what?

Well find out.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah, so what?

Well find out.
Nah, doesn't matter :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not necessarily.

Do you have to poo poo every post. You can be so pedantic and predictable!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.