Has Ross lost the plot???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

I wouldnt stop at andrew.....

Ins
Blake, baker, eddy, geary and mcqualter........possibly see if we can get jayden attard from chelsea heights (heard he played well last week) i reckon he could do a job.....'play a role'.....yes i know jarryn is injured....but least we know what he offers.

Its all about structure......i got a few kicks in the supers last week....if i give an 'honest' and disciplined performance next week i am a chance for a call up....ability it seems, is secondary....

Seriously

B.....gwilt.....dawson......baker (if fit, not many options)

Hb......gilbert.....fisher......winmar

C.....gram.........goddard......ray

Hf....schnieder......johnson.......dal santo

F......milne..........riewoldt......mcevoy

Foll.....kosi.......armitage.......montagna

Int....smith.....steven......jones....cripps*

Emerg....mqualter......stanley.....blake

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:Besides McEvoy these "kids" play nothing roles.

I think back to 09 when malthouse threw sidebottom head to head with our midfield in a final...

It's one thing playing them it's another what they're instructed to do.

Players like Stanley are merely back up and play a decoy role for roo. The problem is that 16 clubs have cottoned onto the fact we'll go to roo anyway...

Last week we put smith and Steven in the mids in the last qt when the game was shot in junk time against the bombers. What do they gain there?

We're on the slide unfortunately, why don't we actually see what our kids have got instead of playing an armchair role as part of the "bottom 6" players...

Sorry if I have been too real for some people...
What a lot of crap. Smith played around the ball most of the game. Stanley played ruck and CHF, FF most of the game. Steven played where he plays. Strange that is is faily similar to Blair. Why didnt you mention him?

defacto
Club Player

whilst i don't like playing mcqulater or baker. i think we need to play these players to send a message to the playing group that we will only select players that are willing to follow orders, put the effort in and die for this club.

message has been sent to peake and gamble who have been shocking this year. clarke has been put on notice.

same approach should be taken after the brisbane game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
super dooper wrote:Besides McEvoy these "kids" play nothing roles.

I think back to 09 when malthouse threw sidebottom head to head with our midfield in a final...

It's one thing playing them it's another what they're instructed to do.

Players like Stanley are merely back up and play a decoy role for roo. The problem is that 16 clubs have cottoned onto the fact we'll go to roo anyway...

Last week we put smith and Steven in the mids in the last qt when the game was shot in junk time against the bombers. What do they gain there?

We're on the slide unfortunately, why don't we actually see what our kids have got instead of playing an armchair role as part of the "bottom 6" players...

Sorry if I have been too real for some people...
What a lot of crap. Smith played around the ball most of the game. Stanley played ruck and CHF, FF most of the game. Steven played where he plays. Strange that is is faily similar to Blair. Why didnt you mention him?
But aren't FF, GHF, and ruck "nothing" roles according to super pooper?

And putting Sidebottom head to head in a Final may have cost them the game in '09.

Who made the GF that year?

Wow some people are just so real :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

I wouldnt stop at andrew.....

Ins
Blake, baker, eddy, geary and mcqualter........possibly see if we can get jayden attard from chelsea heights (heard he played well last week) i reckon he could do a job.....'play a role'.....yes i know jarryn is injured....but least we know what he offers.

Its all about structure......i got a few kicks in the supers last week....if i give an 'honest' and disciplined performance next week i am a chance for a call up....ability it seems, is secondary....

Seriously

B.....gwilt.....dawson......baker (if fit, not many options)

Hb......gilbert.....fisher......winmar

C.....gram.........goddard......ray

Hf....schnieder......johnson.......dal santo

F......milne..........riewoldt......mcevoy

Foll.....kosi.......armitage.......montagna

Int....smith.....steven......jones....cripps*

Emerg....mqualter......stanley.....blake
Johnson is injured so you have actually just put in Cripps and Winmar for Stanley and Mini so in the end you have played 2 younger players for a middle aged and young player. Doesn seem a huge difference to me.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Roo will play up on the wing and through the middle, ala Pavlich, Franklin & what Richo did? God help most teams try to stay with him, it may be worth a try to make us a little less predictable and stop the over reliance on him.

I'm a bit puzzled by Mini getting straight back in, would have liked to have blooded Cripps or Winmar but I think Ross was quite cagey with his "Perhaps..." after the match interview. I've no doubt he knew all along what he wanted and what was missing, his way is an honest committed
trier every single time!

Looking forward to seeing what our intensity will be like tomorrow night.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, your right....two changes is nothing....

Would do little for the boys development....more importantly mini, bakes sean are going to give us an honest performance.....and we will beat a vfl standard team.....have you actually looked at their line up....

We could pick cripps, crocker, siposs and next years picks and still win, as long as bj, da, joey, sam, gram, milne and rooey played.....

We will beat brisbane....then look at the draw.....it will be another month before we start turning over some players.....and thats not the real problem....

Mick Malthouse said the other day, regardless of how you finished the previpus year, you need to keep adding to the side and never get stale....what would he know....

But from what i see

Thomas, pendlebury, beam, sidebottom, reid, blair are doing their apprentiship in the afl.....and making a good fist of it.....

Anyway, no matter what i say, you will argue otherwise....your just a tool...

So,
Your right
Club is right

Tomorrow im of to seaford to bask in the glory of our trophy cabinet....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

At first disappointed not to see any kids there in the 'ins'. But with Koz, Mac, Rhys & Roo - it makes the opposition accountable one would think. Just as long as we don't go the old kick it to Roo no matter what approach I am happy to give this tall timber approach a go.

Just a few years ago we had G, Roo and Koz as targets. Lets become unpredicable and dangerous and feared like we used to be.

Couple of other things of note, anyone else watching the progress of Jack Darling wondering why we didn't pick him up? I heard Cripps was BOG for Sandy on the weekend so hopefully he will get a chance soon and take it also. Too early to tell but I really want one or two of our kids to step up - in saying kids I mean Stanley, Archer, Simpkin, Johnson, Lynch etc. Not just first year players. I'm sick of seeing Sidebottom, Beams, Blair etc star for the Pies yet we continue to persist with Mini etc. Anyway, there goes my poorly constructed rant for the night!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, your right....two changes is nothing....

Would do little for the boys development....more importantly mini, bakes sean are going to give us an honest performance.....and we will beat a vfl standard team.....have you actually looked at their line up....

We could pick cripps, crocker, siposs and next years picks and still win, as long as bj, da, joey, sam, gram, milne and rooey played.....

We will beat brisbane....then look at the draw.....it will be another month before we start turning over some players.....and thats not the real problem....

Mick Malthouse said the other day, regardless of how you finished the previpus year, you need to keep adding to the side and never get stale....what would he know....

But from what i see

Thomas, pendlebury, beam, sidebottom, reid, blair are doing their apprentiship in the afl.....and making a good fist of it.....

Anyway, no matter what i say, you will argue otherwise....your just a tool...

So,
Your right
Club is right

Tomorrow im of to seaford to bask in the glory of our trophy cabinet....
Dont get your post at all. Firstly you picked Bakes not me. Also you dropped Stanley. Doesnt he count as a young player? By the way we have 5 guys who didnt play 5 games a go. Maybe having 6 will help more. And yes I will argue otherwise when people like you whinge but come up with nothing better and especially when this someone says we have the worst 9 kicks in the AFL. Now that is hilarious. You really dont like being questioned even when you speak crap.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

FFS Mini plays one decent game in the magoos and gets a call up.

Surely his knickname must be the "Butcher".

If ever you were gonna give Winmar a game....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stanley would find it hard tolay small back i reckon....what about you...

Not sure 3 200cm players are requored....

I dont care about age....ability and team balance are what i consider pre requisites for selection.....talent has NO age limits....

Dustin Fletcher would add a bit to our group.....he is 35 and id soon piss off gi
Bert, gwilt or dawson to get him in.....

Point is
21yo players are better than 27yo players with no talent

27 yo players with talent are better than 21 yo players

Not diificult

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forgot....it takes 50 games at the level before a talented player becomes a good player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stanley would find it hard tolay small back i reckon....what about you...

Not sure 3 200cm players are requored....

I dont care about age....ability and team balance are what i consider pre requisites for selection.....talent has NO age limits....

Dustin Fletcher would add a bit to our group.....he is 35 and id soon piss off gi
Bert, gwilt or dawson to get him in.....

Point is
21yo players are better than 27yo players with no talent

27 yo players with talent are better than 21 yo players

Not diificult
That post has nothing to do with what you were talking about in your previous post or how I answered it.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Has Ross lost the plot???

saintspremiers wrote:Stanley and Kosi in the same team. A joke.

Mini selected again. A joke.

No reward for up and coming players - ie. Johnson and Winmar. Another joke.

Hope I'm proved wrong, but very odd selections this week.

Is Ross confused perhaps???
That was my initial reaction as well...if we win he is the messiah..if we lose...
he's a naughty boy.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Has Ross lost the plot???

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Stanley and Kosi in the same team. A joke.

Mini selected again. A joke.

No reward for up and coming players - ie. Johnson and Winmar. Another joke.

Hope I'm proved wrong, but very odd selections this week.

Is Ross confused perhaps???
Isnt Johnson injured. Surely playing him injured would be stupid. Mini in the side makes sense after last weeks non tackling performance. I do agree though about Kosi and Stanley. Doesnt make sense to me. Stanley shouldnt play but then people would whinge that we dropped a young guy.
Exactly Plugger. Agreeing with your more and more these days lord help me.

Brisbane, in general terms, are short and sans Brown we will have them in particular beat if we limit their scoring shots, outsize their shortish backs, have centre rotations to not only go with Clark and Leuenberger but also outman them and lock the ball in our forward fifty for as long as possible.

It's horses for courses selection and probably a sensibly conservative balance between youth and experience given WE HAVEN'T WON A f****** GAME YET.

Would love to see Winmar in. This week probably ain't right. Adelaide may be a different kettle of fish.

IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If we do lose to Brisbane i'm definitely coming on here chewing popcorn..

it's gonna be open slather.....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:If we do lose to Brisbane i'm definitely coming on here chewing popcorn..

Sound like you are looking forward to a Saints loss :?

Hmmm - your opinion on here more important than a Saints win?

Strange way for a supposed support to behave.

Oh well to each their own. Personally I ALWAYS want the Saints to win, even if it proves me wrong.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:If we do lose to Brisbane i'm definitely coming on here chewing popcorn..

Oh well to each their own. Personally I ALWAYS want the Saints to win, even if it proves me wrong.
misinterpreted my post but each to their own....cabbage

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Winmar has done little to deserve selection, Cripps has been playing with a buttock injury and he's probably not ready. Ledger is injured, Heyne has shown almost nothing, Crocker has been playing VFL reserves, Archer is slow and not yet AFL material, and Walsh has not been elevated from the rookie list.

So where are these other kids that we can play? Maybe in about 5 weeks or so Ledger and Cripps might get an opportunity, and if Walsh is elevated you'd think he'll be in. But for now, I don't see anyone else beating down the door

Ross said that he wanted players who were going to put in the required effort, irrespective of age. Effort is what you'll always get with the players who have been selected, even though some are showing signs of age and suspect form, and I'd prefer that there were obvious and ready replacements.

This is the best team selected this year. Just replacing Gamble and Peake will harden us up and improve the overall output of the team.

You can't just throw in kids for the sake of it. They have to show that they're ready to take on the challenge. We need a mix of hardness and a bit of the new, and this weeks team looks to fit the bill, although McQualter can count himself fortunate.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Winmar has done little to deserve selection, Cripps has been playing with a buttock injury and he's probably not ready. Ledger is injured, Heyne has shown almost nothing, Crocker has been playing VFL reserves, Archer is slow and not yet AFL material, and Walsh has not been elevated from the rookie list.

So where are these other kids that we can play? Maybe in about 5 weeks or so Ledger and Cripps might get an opportunity, and if Walsh is elevated you'd think he'll be in. But for now, I don't see anyone else beating down the door

Ross said that he wanted players who were going to put in the required effort, irrespective of age. Effort is what you'll always get with the players who have been selected, even though some are showing signs of age and suspect form, and I'd prefer that there were obvious and ready replacements.

This is the best team selected this year. Just replacing Gamble and Peake will harden us up and improve the overall output of the team.

You can't just throw in kids for the sake of it. They have to show that they're ready to take on the challenge. We need a mix of hardness and a bit of the new, and this weeks team looks to fit the bill, although McQualter can count himself fortunate..
You just saved me a helluva lot of typing.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaank yooooooooou :)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Winmar has done little to deserve selection, Cripps has been playing with a buttock injury and he's probably not ready. Ledger is injured, Heyne has shown almost nothing, Crocker has been playing VFL reserves, Archer is slow and not yet AFL material, and Walsh has not been elevated from the rookie list.

You can't just throw in kids for the sake of it. They have to show that they're ready to take on the challenge. We need a mix of hardness and a bit of the new, and this weeks team looks to fit the bill, although McQualter can count himself fortunate.

Not a bad summation

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Wondering what the hell Tom Lynch has to do to even look like they consider picking him?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Well I'm interested in seeing how Stanley plays with Roo adn Kosi all on teh forward line.

Maybe there is a 'plan' on show here to offer 3 tall targets on the forward line?

I would think that Stanley as a 'mobile' tall HFF is something a little different for most backlines to worry about.

They can't just concentrate on Roo now, as long as the Saints players upfield honour Stanley's leads.
The opposition may well have an interesting night trying to combat our marking power up forward.
Agree. I don't have a problem at all with trying the three of them out up there. Roo and Stanley are hardly slow, so it's just Kosi who's slow and rather immobile.
Rhys could really be a handful for whoever is playing on him, given the fact they'll probably be inches shorter than him.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 20 Apr 2011 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Wondering what the hell Tom Lynch
has to do to even look like they consider picking him?
I don't know the answer to that and it's obvious you don't either.

But as long as Tom knows I'm not concerned.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

misinterpreted my post but each to their own....cabbage
Dont think so.

Seems like your ego is willing the Saints to lose so you can enjoy the angst of fellow supporters on an internet forum.

Thats how any normal sane person would intrepret your pathetic post.

Some supporter you are. But I suppose you can come on the internet and show everyone how clever youa re and that you were right all along :roll:

Meanwhile i will be hoping for a Saints win. Suppose you wont be on here Thursday night unless we lose :roll:

Lance or James??