Saints In NZ for 5 years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

darylcowie
Club Player

Re: Saints In NZ for 5 years

I think the idea of an annual game in Wellington on ANZAC Day is a great initiative by our club, but dare I say it, we need to take a lead from the pies and bombers by playing the same team each year in order to build up the rivalry and tradition.

Although we have been drawn to play different interstate teams this year and next year, I think this is a mistake re rivalry.

The teams that we have had the most significant rivalry with in the past decade have been the cats and dogs.

Whilst the cats would probably draw a few thousand more fans across the ditch to watch the game, the dogs would have more to gain by entering into such a game with us on an annual basis re marketing, etc.

We would also have more competitive matches against the dogs than the cats at the moment, thoughts anyone?

By the way, as far as twilight games are concerned, I think they are more viewer friendly than night games, but I loved going to the footy at 1:30 for our last game against Freo!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The City of Wellington want us playing a different side each year to maximise tourism. That's fair enough as they are coughing up the $. Also Saints are keen for us to be the constant and not have other Clubs establish followings there

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
darylcowie
Club Player

Thanks for the heads up, since we have to play a different team each year, I think we need to play teams that we can compete against each year, which means that we need to avoid playing against top 4 teams for the next couple of years to maintain interest in the games.

Therefore, the lions will suit us next year and it will also be a Centenary Grand Final Replay from 1913!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!