Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

I would love to see him used as a forward in the Pagan's paddock style of play !
If he had plenty of room to run into he'd easily beat any key defenders for pace and he'd be able to out mark any pacey defenders .
Also has the ability to take pack marks around the goal square .
Just needs a bit of confidence shown in him .

In red white and black from 73
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Stanley will now be planted in the forward line in 2014 me thinks. Roo can now teach him how to hone his lead up skills and make no bones about it the time he has spent in defence in 2013 will hold him in good stead. He's a player.

Where do Hickey and Longer play when not rucking?
I reckon we'll find out next season. Got some cattle to play with now so I suppose being a development team trying to rebuild the coaching staff will test them all out to see what fits best. If you don't subscribe to the two ruckman setup then next season is going to be a long season for you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Stanley will now be planted in the forward line in 2014 me thinks. Roo can now teach him how to hone his lead up skills and make no bones about it the time he has spent in defence in 2013 will hold him in good stead. He's a player.

I reckon we'll find out next season. Got some cattle to play with now so I suppose being a development team trying to rebuild the coaching staff will test them all out to see what fits best. If you don't subscribe to the two ruckman setup then next season is going to be a long season for you.

Why is that? Its makes no difference to me.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I think we will definitely play with two ruck men it depends on where we see Stanley and Lee playing. Can Lee play a roaming half forward role with Stanley and Roo deep. Hickey and Longer to ruck and then rotate through bench/forward when resting rotating with Roo and Stanley

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:His value was rubbished by being played out of position. He was starting to show some promise before being made to play as a KPB. It doesn't suit any of his strengths. He should actually be the biggest winner out of ruce and delaney's recruitment.
What is his position?

I think Rhys for Mellington straight swap could work for both parties.
Ruck for Sandringham

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I think we will definitely play with two ruck men it depends on where we see Stanley and Lee playing. Can Lee play a roaming half forward role with Stanley and Roo deep. Hickey and Longer to ruck and then rotate through bench/forward when resting rotating with Roo and Stanley

That means for about 80% of the game we will have Lee, Rooy, Stanley and either Longer or Hickey in the forward line. Dont like that at all. Anyway it matters very little if we dont the ball in the middle more next season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:' the club see's him as a Roo succession'

Roo kicked 67 goals in 2004 - age 21.

Rhys would want to get one hell of a wriggle on to be considered in the same breath as Roo.

I think White is a better bet than Rhys. White needs to get his wrist ok which may take some time but seems far more capable of kicking goals and marking inside 50 than Rhys.

Based on what Con?
Based on the fact White has shown he can kick goals at junior (TAC) and VFL level already.
Pretty frickin simple.

The idea Stanley is a fwd is based on pure fantasy, hope, imagination and the fact he is fast, tall and blonde and reminds people a bit of Roo.

What should I be basing things on? What is your opinion?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 25 Oct 2013 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:Will certainly be an interesting season. I'd say we will see Roo have about 3-4 games off to get his walking frame oiled throughout the season...
Walking frame ?
The guy can afford a motorised wheel chair !!!

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why is that? Its makes no difference to me.
Just going by all the whining you did this year on Thursday nights and expecting next season it will allow you to gripe about 2 ruckman being in the side every Thursday. Probably replace your weekly small forwards gripe.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:' the club see's him as a Roo succession'

Roo kicked 67 goals in 2004 - age 21.

Rhys would want to get one hell of a wriggle on to be considered in the same breath as Roo.

I think White is a better bet than Rhys. White needs to get his wrist ok which may take some time but seems far more capable of kicking goals and marking inside 50 than Rhys.

Based on what Con?
Based on the fact White has shown he can kick goals at junior (TAC) and VFL level already.
Pretty frickin simple.

The idea Stanley is a fwd is based on pure fantasy, hope, imagination and the fact he is fast, tall and blonde and reminds people a bit of Roo.

What should I be basing things on? What is your opinion?

How many goals did White kick this season?

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:It's now probably in our best interests if 2014 is Riewoldt's last year. Lee and Stanley should both be capable of playing full seasons as KP forwards and White needs to get a few games next year followed by 8-14 in 2015. Throw in the fact that Hickey and Longer will need to spend time forward and we've got Siposs and Markworth who are leading forwards and Roo could be getting in the wayof their development if he lingers too long. Maister is backup and nothing more.
Disagree. If we have a poor year next year then surely we're likely to pick up one of the gun Talls (Wright, McCartin, Goddard) who are touted for next years draft. Which would be fine as I remain doubtful about Stanley as anything more than a 3rd tall/2nd ruck, Lee as a moderate quality Tall (not fast enough off the mark to be able to rip games apart) and White as anything but a slender highlights reel. Thus Rooey will be needed for as long as possible until one of those 3 gains some strength/experience. If we don't finish near the bottom next year then it would mean that we are in potential finals contention and then we definitely want Rooey to continue.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
12 I think in 13 games - with a bung wrist at age 18.

How many SANFL and VFL goals has Stanley kicked?

Also note i used the word 'bet'. Which means I have an expressed opinion on which there are uncertainties. An opinion for which i provided some facts and least some basis - Rather than just bag - which is all you do - please provide your own opinion and also some basis for having it?

Or is that too much to ask? - you are such <edited by mods> you just sit and watch for other people to give opinions and then you attempt or invent ways to criticise.

You are a poor mans Statler and Waldorf but you lack their use of language or humour.

What a <edited by mods> individual.

You are already on record saying you dont rate Spencer based on your 'daughters boyfriend who went to school with him and doesnt rate him'. So you have no leg to stand on. You should have just shut up.

So you are the joke here plugger = 99% of your views are based on rumour and hearsay because you like to imagine you have 'inside sources' . But you dont.

<poster warned>

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Also note i used the word 'bet'. Which means I have expressed opinion on which there are uncertainties. An opinion for which i provided some facts and least some basi - Rather than just bag - which is all you do - please provide your own opinion and also some basis for having it?

Or is that too much to ask? - you are such cretin you just sit and watch for other people to give opinions and then you attempt or invent ways to criticise.

You are a poor mans Statler and Waldorf but you lack their use of language or humour.

What a cretinous individual.

Last time I provided opinion about something you cracked it because it didnt suit your opinion. As i said the other say when you post a million times you give plebty of opinions. I did many times on the trade but you just fail to see it because you are up to late calling players morons because they dont weigh what you want them to weigh. Now you again are acting like a little kid because i asked a couple of simple questions. now i will give my opinion why i dont think White will be better than Stanley next season. firstly its only his second year and he didnt do much in his first year through what ever reason. i actually saw him play 4 games live and 2 on TV so I have some idea. Certainly more than people watching it from Perth. Stanley is playing a much higher grade of footy nd didnt play in the forward line this year. I dont think he is a star by any means but White has a very long way to go. Certainly further than Stanley at the moment.

And Con have the courage to fight your own arguments occassionly instead on doing multiple posts on an opinion of mine so you can get others to agree with you. You have even done it here. Gone personal hopeing for a reaction of others. At least i dont get down to that pathetic level.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bear in mind Spencer is a top kid who lost a parent as a young teen and you write him off based on 'a kid he went to school with'.
<edited by mods>

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Bear in mind Spencer is a top kid who lost a parent as a young teen and you write him off based on 'a kid he went to school with.
<Edited by mods>.

Liar. i said that he was drafted much higher than most thought so please dont lie. I feel sad he lost a parent but I fail to see what that has to do with this topic.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Bear in mind Spencer is a top kid who lost a parent as a young teen and you write him off based on 'a kid he went to school with.
<edited by mods>.

Liar. i said that he was drafted much higher than most thought so please dont lie. I feel sad he lost a parent but I fail to see what that has to do with this topic.

"most thought' a kid from his school with 'inside' info.

<edited by mods>

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
<edited by mods>

<Edited by mods>

Really Con you couldnt be an adult yet.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Stanley needs to pull his finger out pre-season and show that he is ready to take the next step.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Really Con you couldnt be an adult yet.
Poor mans Statler and Waldorf without the humour, wit or flourish of language.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Stanley had to play a fair chunk of this year at CHB. This after coming off a season ruined by persistent hamstring injuries. He was okay early, but it began to overwhelm him after about 6 or 7 games. I definitely see him as a forward, but not a FF. His speed has to be exploited, and I'd like to see him develop a tank that will allow him to push from half forward up past the wing and then be able to swing around and link up with the runners. He's never going to be a big bodied player, so let him run, push him to run, and see what he can deliver. He could be the biggest winger in the history of the AFL! I've still got my hopes for Stanley, but it seems many others have written him off. A bit early to do so, I think.

As for White, he's still along way off. He needs to add strength and endurance to his game to complement the speed. Typical of tall youngsters, he needs to develop a defensive side to his game. All these things should be his focus for 2014, and if all goes well, he may get a couple of games late in the season. I think around mid 2015 we'll se him becoming a semi regular, just prior to Riewoldt's retirement (fingers crossed Riewoldt gets to the end of 2015 in one piece)

So, for 2014, I reckon it'll be Riewoldt, Maister, Lee, and Stanley sharing the tall forward duties.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the club need to decide what they want to do with him and fast... then train him prply for it

personally i think he needs to put on a little more baulk so that he can clunk more marks... He shd aim to be a Riewoldt type that can play periods in the ruck but obv not as good a forward... who is though

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Stanley had to play a fair chunk of this year at CHB. This after coming off a season ruined by persistent hamstring injuries. He was okay early, but it began to overwhelm him after about 6 or 7 games. I definitely see him as a forward, but not a FF. His speed has to be exploited, and I'd like to see him develop a tank that will allow him to push from half forward up past the wing and then be able to swing around and link up with the runners. He's never going to be a big bodied player, so let him run, push him to run, and see what he can deliver. He could be the biggest winger in the history of the AFL! I've still got my hopes for Stanley, but it seems many others have written him off. A bit early to do so, I think.

As for White, he's still along way off. He needs to add strength and endurance to his game to complement the speed. Typical of tall youngsters, he needs to develop a defensive side to his game. All these things should be his focus for 2014, and if all goes well, he may get a couple of games late in the season. I think around mid 2015 we'll se him becoming a semi regular, just prior to Riewoldt's retirement (fingers crossed Riewoldt gets to the end of 2015 in one piece)

So, for 2014, I reckon it'll be Riewoldt, Maister, Lee, and Stanley sharing the tall forward duties.
I haven't written him off completely. Look at Jesse White (Swans-Pies) who is still finding his place in the game at 25.

But Im also not getting away with the calls that he is going to 'explode' and be a 'replacement for Roo'.
Those calls seems dramatically overstated.

But I think the odds are that his best position is in the Ruck.

If I had to put a number on it - I think there is a 30% chance he will make it as a fwd and a 60% chance he will make it as a Ruck.

(by comparison - Id say there is a 50% chance Spencer White will make it as a key Fwd.) Just my opinions of course - and no doubt Ill be shot down by plugger who is the most in the know due to his 'inside' knowledge.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ill be shot down by plugger who is the most in the know due to his 'inside' knowledge.
I think Plugger no longer lives wit his "inside knowledge" and so is back to be a mere mortal like the rest of us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Also note i used the word 'bet'. Which means I have an expressed opinion on which there are uncertainties. An opinion for which i provided some facts and least some basis - Rather than just bag - which is all you do - please provide your own opinion and also some basis for having it?

Or is that too much to ask? - you are such cretin you just sit and watch for other people to give opinions and then you attempt or invent ways to criticise.

What a cretinous individual.

You are already on record saying you dont rate Spencer based on your 'daughters boyfriend who went to school with him and doesnt rate him'. So you have no leg to stand on. You should have just shut up.

So you are the joke here plugger = 99% of your views are based on rumour and hearsay because you like to imagine you have 'inside sources' . But you dont.
I think we have 2 posters on here who do have "inside" knowledge, one of whom drives the man from Cairns nuts.... :lol: :lol:

Incidently, the 2 posters in question have a thread dedicated to them

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ill be shot down by plugger who is the most in the know due to his 'inside' knowledge.
I think Plugger no longer lives wit his "inside knowledge" and so is back to be a mere mortal like the rest of us.

Was Plugger in a relationship with Ledger?