Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Petracca

Sounds as though, if we pick him up, he will be Dunstan like in physical attributes and be ready for seniors early.

That said, this will increase expectations of him in later seasons to increase his output and ability.

By this I mean being physically ready gives a young player an advantage over a player with more skill but less physical attributes.

Compare Dunstan to Billings this year, one a top three choice, the other a slider to 19.

Dunstan had a far better first season based on his physical attributes compared to Billings.

However in following seasons Billings may overtake Dunstan as he acquires an AFL ready body. Generally it is acknowledged and where they were chosen in the draft would indicate that Billings is generally more skillful and has more upside than Dunstan (not knocking Dunstan, just what would have been generally thought).

So in a long winded way, Petracca may well get everyone excited next season because of his AFL ready body. It probably wont be until season three until we can really guage where he will end up as a player.

You are garbage - Enough said
jaxons
Club Player

Pick 1: St. Kilda – Christian Petracca

Position: Medium forward/midfielder
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 92 kg, DOB: 04/01/1996
Club: Eastern Ranges
Projected draft range: 1-3
Player comparison: Dustin Martin/Josh P Kennedy

The most coveted prospect from the class of 2014, Christian Petracca has won just about everything this year, including the Larke Medal, Metro’s MVP and an All Australian jumper. Petracca, a strong-bodied, powerful, quick, goal-kicking midfielder is the complete package, and would be odds-on favourite to play round one, 2015. His development and progression into a genuine midfielder as opposed to a forward flanker is a credit to his character, discipline and appetite for hard work. He’s accepted challenges placed in front of him over the past 24 months and has gone above and beyond in answering those demands. Petracca features in the top one-percent in the country for his agility and speed, rating elite in his tackling, contested-ball, clearances and goals kicked by a midfielder. Petracca is now in the gun to be taken as the first selection, with one particular TAC Cup talent manager calling him a “once in a generation player that will be talking about for decades”.

Player Update: Labelled by one talent manager as “light years ahead” of everyone else in the draft. Also named in the TAC Cup team of the year on a forward flank.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

A "once in a generation player" that reportedly was up for trade? Not sure on that thinking, just quietly.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:A "once in a generation player" that reportedly was up for trade? Not sure on that thinking, just quietly.
Well I guess that depends on whether he is really a "once in a generation player" player or not.

If he is then you do not want to trade.

If he is just very good then you do, if the deal is right.

Obviously a high value was placed as we reportedly wanted picks 4, 6 and 7 for him.
Knocking back say 4 and 6 tells you the recruiters believe that he is better than very good.

Off-field keeping Petracca will probably sell more memberships than gaining 4, 6 and 7 would have.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:A "once in a generation player" that reportedly was up for trade? Not sure on that thinking, just quietly.
Was by only ONE talent manager............

but rated highly by all

saint4life
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

jaxons wrote:Pick 1: St. Kilda – Christian Petracca

The most coveted prospect from the class of 2014, Christian Petracca has won just about everything this year, including the Larke Medal, Metro’s MVP and an All Australian jumper. Petracca, a strong-bodied, powerful, quick, goal-kicking midfielder is the complete package, and would be odds-on favourite to play round one, 2015. His development and progression into a genuine midfielder as opposed to a forward flanker is a credit to his character, discipline and appetite for hard work. He’s accepted challenges placed in front of him over the past 24 months and has gone above and beyond in answering those demands. Petracca features in the top one-percent in the country for his agility and speed, rating elite in his tackling, contested-ball, clearances and goals kicked by a midfielder. Petracca is now in the gun to be taken as the first selection, with one particular TAC Cup talent manager calling him a “once in a generation player that will be talking about for decades”.

Player Update: Labelled by one talent manager as “light years ahead” of everyone else in the draft. Also named in the TAC Cup team of the year on a forward flank.
Thanks for the update. I think he is perhaps the best in class, but lacks the polish of an out and out gun. If we can develop that aspect of his game I'm over the moon.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Well I guess that depends on whether he is really a "once in a generation player" player or not.

Obviously a high value was placed as we reportedly wanted picks 4, 6 and 7 for him.
Knocking back say 4 and 6 tells you the recruiters believe that he is better than very good.

Off-field keeping Petracca will probably sell more memberships than gaining 4, 6 and 7 would have.

which is exactly what i have been saying for a couple of weeks.....it's the x facter that gets people through the gate.....sydney are aware of that......our club has been slow on the uptake with this concept.........

i used to frequently travel interstate just to watch plugger work his magic...and people would follow him from end to end in their hundreds.....my frequent flyer points really dried up when plugger left to fill the scg......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Was by only ONE talent manager............

but rated highly by all
Just checking.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Pick 1: St. Kilda – Christian Petracca

straight from "Bound for Glory" Paige Cardona Phantom Draft 4.0

saint4life
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote: All well and good, but is that all he has to offer...?
The aqueduct?
WTF is this http://www.webpageexperience.com satchmo?
I have no idea. Why do you ask?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I agree we should get him.

Good players can get you to Grand Finals.

But an x-factor player in a Grand Final can be the difference.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

which is exactly what i have been saying for a couple of weeks.....it's the x facter that gets people through the gate.....sydney are aware of that......our club has been slow on the uptake with this concept.........

i used to frequently travel interstate just to watch plugger work his magic...and people would follow him from end to end in their hundreds.....my frequent flyer points really dried up when plugger left to fill the scg......

He is a mid. Unless you are Gary Ablett junior in a small market im not sure mids get people through the gate. Lenny was a once in a generation player and apart from his last year I doubt he go many if any through the gate.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:I agree we should get him.

Good players can get you to Grand Finals.

But an x-factor player in a Grand Final can be the difference.
Read my signature - by a hawks fan

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Just reading some of the stuff about Petracca is quite interesting. The fact that he rates as elite in so many aspects of his game is exciting, but as someone who sees nothing of the juniors live, can anyone who follows them vouch for the fact that he is so clearly ahead of the rest of the comp this year?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Megamaguire
Club Player

P e t r a c c a

If the club sides with Petra over McCartin & Wright (who they seem to be impressed with as well) it is at least giving the Saints the chance of having a potentially elite MID in the fold.
Losing Banger and Lenny to age restraints (getting older) leaves a void that is hard to fill.
I don't like assuming Petra is going to be this or that as he has the right to an acclimitisation period and deserves some time to just get used to the new life of being an afl player. But it is exciting to ponder just how he may connect up with Dunstan; Billings and Acers etc.

Petra does sound very organised and focused - great qualities in themselves.

I'm also Feeling intrigued by our next 2 picks near the end of the round as well.

G O S A I N T S ! :)
Last edited by Megamaguire on Fri 17 Oct 2014 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

There is no doubt midfields win games & finals lets hope he is the elite player we expect !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I have spent large chunk of my past 45 years in the horse racing game. After reading all of the posts on this thread I wish I could turn back the clock and have all of you come and nit pick at the yearling sales. I'd be a multi-millionnairre rather than a Saints level 3 reserved seat member. :wink: Then again, most of you would probably buy sight unseen. So many huge opinions either way about the merits of what, if the draft were the yearling sales, would be a highly promoted and anticipated colt im Christian Petracca.

We know he can run fast in the paddock but they are all equals until the barriers open on the track. That is when attitude, what is between the ears and what fills the chest cavity comes into play. An old auctioneer I used to enjoy would stop his banter when the sale was getting tough and say "when it starts to hurt at the furlong post, that's when they start calling for their mother" referring to their pedigree. It is the same in football. When everything hurts so much that you can't lift your feet in a Grand Final - that is where attitude, brains and heart come to play. Think of Lenny Hayes goal in the 2010 draw - who really thought he could kick the distance? After he goaled, did anybody ever doubt that he wouldn't? Inspirational enough for BJ to pull down his screamer when he was totally spent?

Unlike the yearling sales AFL recruiters get to watch the young colts compete, not merely run around the paddock. Physical attributes are their for all to see but it is the intangibles - brains, attitude and heart - that make racehorses. Same with footballers except you get a fairer indication of what you are buying.

I guess I am saying don't romanticize, be rational. If the good judges say Petracca is the best available (and this has been a constant call) it is a fair bet that he has been poked, prodded, quizzed, watched and scrutinised with far greater surveillance than any on this website can imagine.

Now, if anybody is interested in owning the next Black Caviar start forming a queue here....................................... :)

Saint supporter since '62
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:I have spent large chunk of my past 45 years in the horse racing game. After reading all of the posts on this thread I wish I could turn back the clock and have all of you come and nit pick at the yearling sales. I'd be a multi-millionnairre rather than a Saints level 3 reserved seat member. :wink: Then again, most of you would probably buy sight unseen. So many huge opinions either way about the merits of what, if the draft were the yearling sales, would be a highly promoted and anticipated colt im Christian Petracca.

We know he can run fast in the paddock but they are all equals until the barriers open on the track. That is when attitude, what is between the ears and what fills the chest cavity comes into play. An old auctioneer I used to enjoy would stop his banter when the sale was getting tough and say "when it starts to hurt at the furlong post, that's when they start calling for their mother" referring to their pedigree. It is the same in football. When everything hurts so much that you can't lift your feet in a Grand Final - that is where attitude, brains and heart come to play. Think of Lenny Hayes goal in the 2010 draw - who really thought he could kick the distance? After he goaled, did anybody ever doubt that he wouldn't? Inspirational enough for BJ to pull down his screamer when he was totally spent?

Unlike the yearling sales AFL recruiters get to watch the young colts compete, not merely run around the paddock. Physical attributes are their for all to see but it is the intangibles - brains, attitude and heart - that make racehorses. Same with footballers except you get a fairer indication of what you are buying.

I guess I am saying don't romanticize, be rational. If the good judges say Petracca is the best available (and this has been a constant call) it is a fair bet that he has been poked, prodded, quizzed, watched and scrutinised with far greater surveillance than any on this website can imagine.

Now, if anybody is interested in owning the next Black Caviar start forming a queue here....................................... :)
As you are well aware there are many black type well bred two year olds that have produced nothing post their days as a star two year old. While Trust In a Gust was running around at Bendigo and improving by sneaking into a place in a Caulfield 2 year old race, Real Surreal was winning the Magic Millions. No doubt recruiters would have taken Real Surreal ahead of Trust in a Gust. Recruiters by nature are very conservative as they are s*** freightened of making a mitsake (its their job on the line) with an early pick, they will never select a Trust in a Gust ahead of Real Surreal with a first rounbd choice.

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Bunk loving the new dig

'... you're going to be competing with the giants and saints in a few years time, and he's the one kid for years now that could genuinely win a finals series off his own boot. He and Dunstan will be a disgusting midfield pairing. You're sort of as close to being guaranteed a Fyfe/Dangerfield as anyone ever has been..."

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Cracking post Trev from the Bush. Point well made.

Any roughies for Caulfield tomorrow? :)

Always loyal
Austinnn
Club Player

OK, I tried to find the broader community's opinion on our Pet Raccoon, and I discovered this article on a website with the brilliant title of Executives News. At first I thought this was some mad new hardcore executive lingo that I'm a bit out of touch on, but inspecting closely it looks like a messed up double translation, possibly from Chinese or something.

Anyway here is, have a gander!

http://executivesnews.com/saints-set-to ... for-pick-1

Saints set to hit behind offers for collect 1

ST KILDA is approaching to continue knocking behind offers for a No. 1 breeze collect currently with a desired preference approaching to be used on bomb midfielder Christian Petracca.

Saints football trainer Chris Pelchen pronounced on radio he declined 3 offers for a cherished collect yesterday and approaching a “bidding frenzy” would continue in a rave to Thursday’s 2pm trade deadline. But it is believed a Saints will finish Greater Western Sydney’s debt on a tip collect after a enlargement bar used it to call a names of Jon Patton (2011), Lachie Whitfield (2012) and over spearhead Tom Boyd (2013). The Herald Sun believes a Giants done what they believed to be a inexhaustible offer to a Saints yesterday, though had it rejected. It is misleading if that offer came before GWS acquired a No. 6 preference from a Western Bulldogs as partial of a blockbuster Boyd trade though it is believed to have concerned mixed picks.

The Giants reason Nos. 4, 6 and 7 and are best-placed to trade with a Saints and have reliable seductiveness in winning rights to Petracca.

St Kilda ticked off a breeze design of securing a preference between their initial and second-round selections when they netted No. 21 from Geelong for Rhys Stanley on Wednesday. It means arch recruiter Tony Elshaug binds picks one, 21 and 22 during subsequent month’s draft, a year after he angled Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres to kickstart a Saints’ revival. The Herald Sun suggested on Monday a Saints wish to beget 18 breeze selections inside a initial 3 rounds from 2013-16. But Petracca is firming as their male brazen of pivotal brazen Paddy McCartin, who had been related to a Saints as a Nick Riewoldt replacement.

Eastern Ranges product Petracca — who models his diversion on Jordan Lewis and Dustin Martin — blossomed as a full-time midfielder this year. He is rated by recruiting experts as a many special talent in a pool with his mixed of power, speed and goalsense creation him a formidable match-up. A hip problem could check Petracca’s lass AFL pre-season though he is approaching to make an impact in 2015. “My strengths are I’m means to win round on a inside though also widespread quickly,” Petracca said.

“I’m means to play mixed positions and it competence sound conceited though we arrange of do have a bit of X-Factor, we can flog those purchase goals.” Pelchen pronounced a deals knocked behind yesterday were “attractive offers” and enclosed mixed picks in a tip 15. “I’d contend seductiveness is flourishing rather than diminishing,” he told SEN.

“We’ve only declined on one sold offer as recently as a final hour, we’ve had dual offers put to us this morning, so I’d design that behest frenzy competence continue.” Pelchen pronounced a Saints would breeze a best accessible player, another denote Petracca is in their sights.

Originally published as Saints set to hit behind offers for collect 1
executives news Sports

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Furphy
Club Player

saintpeter wrote:Seems like we will take him as pick 1. Things may change. Watched his highlights videos, kicking was my only concern. But hard to judge from a few kicks that went astray. I am interested in the views of more knowledgeable people than me, how good is he?
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but here is some highlight footage of Petracca;

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gun midfields make average forward lines look good.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote:OK, I tried to find the broader community's opinion on our Pet Raccoon, and I discovered this article on a website with the brilliant title of Executives News. At first I thought this was some mad new hardcore executive lingo that I'm a bit out of touch on, but inspecting closely it looks like a messed up double translation, possibly from Chinese or something.

Anyway here is, have a gander!

http://executivesnews.com/saints-set-to ... for-pick-1

Saints set to hit behind offers for collect 1

ST KILDA is approaching to continue knocking behind offers for a No. 1 breeze collect currently with a desired preference approaching to be used on bomb midfielder Christian Petracca.

Saints football trainer Chris Pelchen pronounced on radio he declined 3 offers for a cherished collect yesterday and approaching a “bidding frenzy” would continue in a rave to Thursday’s 2pm trade deadline. But it is believed a Saints will finish Greater Western Sydney’s debt on a tip collect after a enlargement bar used it to call a names of Jon Patton (2011), Lachie Whitfield (2012) and over spearhead Tom Boyd (2013). The Herald Sun believes a Giants done what they believed to be a inexhaustible offer to a Saints yesterday, though had it rejected. It is misleading if that offer came before GWS acquired a No. 6 preference from a Western Bulldogs as partial of a blockbuster Boyd trade though it is believed to have concerned mixed picks.

The Giants reason Nos. 4, 6 and 7 and are best-placed to trade with a Saints and have reliable seductiveness in winning rights to Petracca.

St Kilda ticked off a breeze design of securing a preference between their initial and second-round selections when they netted No. 21 from Geelong for Rhys Stanley on Wednesday. It means arch recruiter Tony Elshaug binds picks one, 21 and 22 during subsequent month’s draft, a year after he angled Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres to kickstart a Saints’ revival. The Herald Sun suggested on Monday a Saints wish to beget 18 breeze selections inside a initial 3 rounds from 2013-16. But Petracca is firming as their male brazen of pivotal brazen Paddy McCartin, who had been related to a Saints as a Nick Riewoldt replacement.

Eastern Ranges product Petracca — who models his diversion on Jordan Lewis and Dustin Martin — blossomed as a full-time midfielder this year. He is rated by recruiting experts as a many special talent in a pool with his mixed of power, speed and goalsense creation him a formidable match-up. A hip problem could check Petracca’s lass AFL pre-season though he is approaching to make an impact in 2015. “My strengths are I’m means to win round on a inside though also widespread quickly,” Petracca said.

“I’m means to play mixed positions and it competence sound conceited though we arrange of do have a bit of X-Factor, we can flog those purchase goals.” Pelchen pronounced a deals knocked behind yesterday were “attractive offers” and enclosed mixed picks in a tip 15. “I’d contend seductiveness is flourishing rather than diminishing,” he told SEN.

“We’ve only declined on one sold offer as recently as a final hour, we’ve had dual offers put to us this morning, so I’d design that behest frenzy competence continue.” Pelchen pronounced a Saints would breeze a best accessible player, another denote Petracca is in their sights.

Originally published as Saints set to hit behind offers for collect 1
executives news Sports
That is a really funny read. WTF is an enlargement bar that was prised from GWS grasp???

dragit
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
dragit wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote: All well and good, but is that all he has to offer...?
The aqueduct?
WTF is this http://www.webpageexperience.com satchmo?
I have no idea. Why do you ask?
Sorry, my question was probably a bit rude…

That site is the host of the animated gifs in your signature… one very odd site.