Danny Frawley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Danny Frawley

Terrific news. Great to have the boy from Bungaree back at the club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty well going to be working full time during the pre season, then a couple of sessions a week during the season. Working mainly with the defence. Very well received by the playing group.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Pretty well going to be working full time during the pre season, then a couple of sessions a week during the season. Working mainly with the defence. Very well received by the playing group.
That's good to hear.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Danny Frawley

Danny Frawley was an excellent Captain for St.Kilda always bringing plenty to his role of guiding his team-mates on the field. I remember Danny as a big and positive energy for St.Kilda back in the early and mid 90s.
I'm happy to see Spud get the oppportunity to help the club out once more.

All the best Danny - glad to have you back on board.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
oh when the
Club Player

I remember Frawley at Pleasant Sunday Mornings in the Club rooms, long before cappuccinos, with a good old VB.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With LB being poached getting Spud on board now will help to address that shortfall.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
supersaints
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:In all seriousness, has Spud been out of the game too long? What does he offer (besides his love of the red white and black)?
Offered enough to be wanted by the Hawks for the same defensive role, Hawks are the benchmark side, so if they think he's good enough and the Saints think he is, then I'm happy to go along with it.
He has one thing in sspdes and that is character

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Playon
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Thank god for big miracles!

And I believe Frawley will NEVER be a senior coach again. For a start he has health issues, secondly he has media commitments, thirdly he was an ordinary senior coach.

Happy to have a past player back, but some realism please
And you're basing this on what, that a bottom side Richmond didn't win a flag under Frawley? How well did they go with a change of coach? coaches?

First thing is that you need the players, the coach can't kick it for them, When a coach takes on a job at a bottom side, how long can you expect them to have a career? and apart from a miracle and a lot of luck and a very good recruiting team behind you, you're destined never to coach again. Thinking about it, is this this the best career move for spud? As opposed to coaching at Hawthorn
To say he can't coach based on his Richmond days is basically, well a load of crap.

Is Richo doomed?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:Danny Frawley was an excellent Captain for St.Kilda always bringing plenty to his role of guiding his team-mates on the field. I remember Danny as a big and positive energy for St.Kilda back in the early and mid 90s.
I'm happy to see Spud get the oppportunity to help the club out once more.

All the best Danny - glad to have you back on board.

G O S A I N T S !

+ heaps.... :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Great to see Spud back in this part-time role. A saints man with a lot of enthusiasm and teaching ability.

A lot of young saints players will look up to him. His personality and experience will be a good fit with Richo.

Good for the players. Good for the club.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Thank god for big miracles!

And I believe Frawley will NEVER be a senior coach again. For a start he has health issues, secondly he has media commitments, thirdly he was an ordinary senior coach.

Happy to have a past player back, but some realism please
And you're basing this on what, that a bottom side Richmond didn't win a flag under Frawley? How well did they go with a change of coach? coaches?

First thing is that you need the players, the coach can't kick it for them, When a coach takes on a job at a bottom side, how long can you expect them to have a career? and apart from a miracle and a lot of luck and a very good recruiting team behind you, you're destined never to coach again. Thinking about it, is this this the best career move for spud? As opposed to coaching at Hawthorn
To say he can't coach based on his Richmond days is basically, well a load of crap.

Is Richo doomed?
Nice revision. Top four in 2001 and then he tried to top up and stuffed the list. Bottom side pfft

So how many more senior coaching positions has he had?

Seems like I am not the only one who thinks he wont ever be a senior coach again.

he was pretty poor from what i saw and wont ever coach seniors again.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

MEH......Spud...massive news...lol Where has he been all these years ? Welcome back Spud ? Ok...nice to see him back but I guess he has never really left...would be at most of the major functions and I'd rather not see him in any sort of coaching role...the game has moved on....now on the other hand, the news would so much more welcoming if it was Banger coming back to the fold.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

This ones a good one to Stinger

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:This ones a good one to Stinger

great clip...thanks for that mate......spud's a true sainter...will go a long way to making up for losing luke...now if we can just pry banger loose from those filth chappies..... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 18 Nov 2014 8:58am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Pfft - how in hell would you know if he is any good or not?

Failed as a senior coach, not even an assistant coach anywhere, and only offered part time coaching.
I'm not really wanting to weigh in, but I think it's harsh to call him a failure as a coach

He may not have led Richmond to a flag but I think he's the only coach that has gotten them into the top 4 since I've been alive... Ultimately his top up strategy was not executed well and cost him his job... but that's certainly not a unique mistake

Gershwin
Club Player

Who is our full-time backline coach?

summertime and the living is easy ........
avid
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Pfft - how in hell would you know if he is any good or not?

Failed as a senior coach, not even an assistant coach anywhere, and only offered part time coaching.
I'm not really wanting to weigh in, but I think it's harsh to call him a failure as a coach

He may not have led Richmond to a flag but I think he's the only coach that has gotten them into the top 4 since I've been alive... Ultimately his top up strategy was not executed well and cost him his job... but that's certainly not a unique mistake
Hear Hear. This sort of rush to judgement, especially negative judgement, drives me nuts. Especially when it's about a guy that just turned down an as-good-as-sealed job with the Premiers to come back to where his heart lies.
Anybody who has coached an AFL side is a talented and inspiring person. No way could they get the job if they weren't. Some turn out to be better than others. Some have luck turn against them. All have at least something special to offer.
For Christ's sake let's celebrate the Spud's return.
One thing he does have that most others don't is a passionate commitment to the Saints.

Legendary
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:MEH......Spud...massive news...lol Where has he been all these years ? Welcome back Spud ? Ok...nice to see him back but I guess he has never really left...would be at most of the major functions and I'd rather not see him in any sort of coaching role...the game has moved on....now on the other hand, the news would so much more welcoming if it was Banger coming back to the fold.
Has the game really changed from teaching a defender how to punch the ball, how to check their opponent, how to win a one-on-one contest, how to get across and cover someone else's man and how to drop back and fill the hole in the backline?

If you think these basic skills of footy have changed (apart from rules limiting physical contact), could you please explain how?

Because this is what Frawley will be doing....

Funny that the reigning premiers wanted him in exactly the same role. :!:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

avid wrote:Hear Hear. This sort of rush to judgement, especially negative judgement, drives me nuts. Especially when it's about a guy that just turned down an as-good-as-sealed job with the Premiers to come back to where his heart lies.
Anybody who has coached an AFL side is a talented and inspiring person. No way could they get the job if they weren't. Some turn out to be better than others. Some have luck turn against them. All have at least something special to offer.
For Christ's sake let's celebrate the Spud's return.
One thing he does have that most others don't is a passionate commitment to the Saints.
You have got it wrong avid, I am referring directly to his coaching as a senior coach.

Many many coaches are terrific assistant coaches but cant cope with being a senior coach.

I don't think he has the nous as a senior coach, but as a defensive coach he will be in his element.\

If you look back you will see where I said he is obviously good enough and held in high enough regard as an assistant coach for the premiers to want hiom and offer him a job.

That means two clubs covering positions No1 to No.18 thought he was good enough.

Someone however surmised about him taking over from Richo as senior coach, which I disputed.

And it is not a rush to judgement on Frawley. The football industry has judged him not good enough for a senior role after his Richmond stint. Eade has made one GF almost twenty years ago and is at his third club, so the football industry judges a coaches ability to be a senior coach.

Why is it so offensive for it to be stated that Frawley is not up to the task?

BTW I think it is great to have Frawley back as an assistant. Great club man and great captain for the Saints.

You are garbage - Enough said
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I can see the headlines now, "Spud's duds" etc. But seriously, good to have him back at the club. A good solid bloke who hopefully will stop our backline leaking like a sieve

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:Great to see Spud back in this part-time role. A saints man with a lot of enthusiasm and teaching ability.

A lot of young saints players will look up to him. His personality and experience will be a good fit with Richo.

Good for the players. Good for the club.
He does seem like an enthusiastic character, hopefully it rubs off on the playing group.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

jamesmc
Club Player

oh when the wrote:I remember Frawley at Pleasant Sunday Mornings in the Club rooms, long before cappuccinos, with a good old VB.
Wow lets get him back then. Seriously what a step back to the future.
Not even going to go near his well publicised mental problems.
Faaaaark

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:Frawley at training.

http://videos-d-9.ak.instagram.com/hpho ... 7634_n.mp4
Bloody hell. He'll lose 20 kilos over summer if he keeps that up.

Welcome home, Spud.

Always loyal