NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

Bluthy wrote:I don't understand why everyone is saying we will smash them. This isn't the Werribee thirds. Its some solid talent and big bodied guys used to the rough and tumble of the AFL. Ok so they haven't trained together much but they are professional footballers - they will know the usual running patterns, defensive cover, spreading, how to bottle it up etc. And we are an incredibly inexperienced team missing some of our top players. Sure some of our young players were running on the top of the ground last week but I bet you this week they are feeling sore in muscles they didn't even know they had and struggle to run the same way after their first genuine hit out of the year in the Brissy heat. And young teams are notoriously unpredictable, looking competitive one week and completely lost the next. I see this as being really close and if they pip us I wouldn't really care much. Richo will probably doing some chopping and changing and experimenting like last week.

They have a terrible side in. Probably about 6 players who will play more than 5 games this year. We have probably 20 who will play more than 5 games this year. If we don't smah them it would be disappointing to say the least. We have also played one game which is a huge advantage early in the year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think what plugs is getting at as Essenscum are full of discarded hacks, that for many reasons aren't AFL standard anymore.

Our boys, whilst too young to be effective against a normal side, at least are building and many will be AFL players.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Try and think it through Plugger. We finished bottom of the ladder even with Nick and Lenny and since then we've got rid of even more experience. We 've had one game in exhausting conditions that would have taken a lot out of the young players of which we have many. We have a big block of players who only have a handful of games between them. We've lost Nick, Ray, Savage Roberton and Billings. Plus we will be in experimentation mode.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion but you, and others, are incorrectly creating this perception that this game should be a lay down mezere which is rubbish. This could very well be an ugly dogfight with their desperation and trying to keep the game locked down and our inexperience and young bodies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Try and think it through Plugger. We finished bottom of the ladder even with Nick and Lenny and since then we've got rid of even more experience. We 've had one game in exhausting conditions that would have taken a lot out of the young players of which we have many. We have a big block of players who only have a handful of games between them. We've lost Nick, Ray, Savage Roberton and Billings. Plus we will be in experimentation mode.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion but you, and others, are incorrectly creating this perception that this game should be a lay down mezere which is rubbish. This could very well be an ugly dogfight with their desperation and trying to keep the game locked down and our inexperience and young bodies.

We have had one game. They have had none. If games weren't important there would be no pre season. My wrong opinion. Could you be anymore arrogant. Lets face facts here. The facts are clear. We will have many players who will play many AFL games this year and they will have very few. Im not looking for an excuse already like some. We should win very easily and if we don't it will be very disappointing. By the way who are their many experienced players anyway? If you believe I am wrong come up with some facts to show their experience otherwise I think what I am saying is correct. If we are making excuses this week how will we win any game this year? We haven't even got a huge amount of experienced players out. Well certainly bugger all that will play the first half of the season.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I don't understand why everyone is saying we will smash them. This isn't the Werribee thirds. Its some solid talent and big bodied guys used to the rough and tumble of the AFL. Ok so they haven't trained together much but they are professional footballers - they will know the usual running patterns, defensive cover, spreading, how to bottle it up etc. And we are an incredibly inexperienced team missing some of our top players. Sure some of our young players were running on the top of the ground last week but I bet you this week they are feeling sore in muscles they didn't even know they had and struggle to run the same way after their first genuine hit out of the year in the Brissy heat. And young teams are notoriously unpredictable, looking competitive one week and completely lost the next. I see this as being really close and if they pip us I wouldn't really care much. Richo will probably doing some chopping and changing and experimenting like last week.
I have a feeling CJ will have a few people realise he can play footy once they see him in another jumper. They will certainly be competitive.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:No Daniel McKenzie again, no mention of him on the injury list.

Has anyone heard anything as to why he isn't playing or are they just saving him for the game against the Hawkers on the 19th March.
I'd also like to know what is happening with DMac. Also Spencer hurt his leg at the intra-club match from memory when someone smothered a kick and he limped off (or was that PMac - gee the memory is going)?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We need to win this game - and we need to win it reasonably comfortably. Bombers have engineered it so there is no pressure on themselves - everyone in the footy world expects them to lose. IF they just go down, or heaven forbid they win, they will walk away with their smug smiles - and we will be seen as an absolute crap team.

Pressure is on us , make no mistake about it. It wont be an easy game - but its a must win.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:We need to win this game - and we need to win it reasonably comfortably. Bombers have engineered it so there is no pressure on themselves - everyone in the footy world expects them to lose. IF they just go down, or heaven forbid they win, they will walk away with their smug smiles - and we will be seen as an absolute crap team.

Pressure is on us , make no mistake about it. It wont be an easy game - but its a must win.
You bet we need to win and win well against a rabble. If we lose, I suspect Richo will have a lot of explaining to do to many people.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Zed wrote:We need to win this game - and we need to win it reasonably comfortably. Bombers have engineered it so there is no pressure on themselves - everyone in the footy world expects them to lose. IF they just go down, or heaven forbid they win, they will walk away with their smug smiles - and we will be seen as an absolute crap team.

You bet we need to win and win well against a rabble. If we lose, I suspect Richo will have a lot of explaining to do to many people.

We need to win but I doubt AR will have much explaining to do. He will just say we are a young side and its a practice match. Should win easily so no problems.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
I have a feeling CJ will have a few people realise he can play footy once they see him in another jumper. They will certainly be competitive.
No doubt, Never underestimate mature, hardened bodies and experience

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-06/d ... rom-drills

May see BJ after all
Well done afl.
EFC taking the piss once again. It seems they think rules are for everyone else.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

If my current free sample of Foxtel continues I'll be able to watch the Saints live! And because the cheating players aren't playing, my vow never to watch thrm on TV until,they are adequately punished remains intact.

They are still a verminous club but I can deal with it. I may even keep the volume up too depending on the commentary team

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:If my current free sample of Foxtel continues I'll be able to watch the Saints live! And because the cheating players aren't playing, my vow never to watch thrm on TV until,they are adequately punished remains intact.

They are still a verminous club but I can deal with it. I may even keep the volume up too depending on the commentary team

So you can watch the club and the coach who it seems organised it but cant watch the players who may still be innocent?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-06/d ... rom-drills

May see BJ after all
Well done afl.
EFC taking the piss once again. It seems they think rules are for everyone else.
What a bunch seriously, their continued lack of respect to the competition & general public is just disgusting...

stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:If my current free sample of Foxtel continues I'll be able to watch the Saints live! And because the cheating players aren't playing, my vow never to watch thrm on TV until,they are adequately punished remains intact.

So you can watch the club and the coach who it seems organised it but cant watch the players who may still be innocent?
Actually I just realised I will probably be playing Combat Arms on the computer in the back room when the game starts. So I may have to find it on the radio rather than watch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Actually I just realised I will probably be playing Combat Arms on the computer in the back room when the game starts. So I may have to find it on the radio rather than watch.

Well that sounds important.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fighting wave after wave of zombies in a derelict cabin with players from around the globe is always important plugger. 8-) :mrgreen:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Compared to sitting on your arse watching a bunch of grown men run around chasing a footy? Not sure how a neutral observer would decide which actually mattered more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Compared to sitting on your arse watching a bunch of grown men run around chasing a footy? Not sure how a neutral observer would decide which actually mattered more.

I reckon we can decide ny how many aussies post on combat arms footy forum.

saint-stu
Club Player

I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that we must win this game.
Who cares if we win. Would be nice to see some more glimpses and improvement from the youngsters though.

Will the game be streamed again or only foxtel?

1ac46a38
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I reckon we can decide ny how many aussies post on combat arms footy forum.
There could be a market for the two combined... A shoot-em-up game where you kill everyone involved at the Essendon football club... Practice stages are Collingwood & Carlton.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that we must win this game.
Who cares if we win. Would be nice to see some more glimpses and improvement from the youngsters though.

It will be on the AFL app. You can get a four week trial.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that we must win this game.

Does anyone know if it'll be on radio?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

Does anyone know if it'll be on radio?
It's on SEN.

Talking about SEN, KB was on today and reckon we are in trouble if we don't win by at least 10 goals.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!