We will beat GWS...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

Re: We will beat GWS...

WinnersOnly wrote:How many so called experts have predicted we wont win a game this year! If ever Richo had anything to motivate this group surely that lack of respect is it. Im predicting Reiwoldt will play and play well, Schneider has been upgraded for a reason and luck has started to go our way with injuries. It will be close but at Etihad the Saints will make us proud!
Luck has started to go our way with injuries ? Has it ? I hope so !

gringo
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:How many so called experts have predicted we wont win a game this year! If ever Richo had anything to motivate this group surely that lack of respect is it. Im predicting Reiwoldt will play and play well, Schneider has been upgraded for a reason and luck has started to go our way with injuries. It will be close but at Etihad the Saints will make us proud!

We have started to turn a corner hopefully. Billings should be back soon and Webster not far behind and Ray is probably the only other best 22 player out then. I would take that after last year.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I think Gilbert, Ross and Wright are all best 22 players missing at the moment as well.

Things will be bad this year but so what. I was also an 80s game goer and as long as there is hope I will be happy.
While we have kids coming through there is hope for the future.
In the 80s we were getting flogged with a team of opposition cast offs at the end of their careers.
So this is far superior in my mind.

citywest

I hope you're right WinnersOnly but I seriously doubt it. Not only is this one of the most in-experienced Saints team I have ever seen, it is also the worst. GWS by 32 points.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
I hope you're right WinnersOnly but I seriously doubt it. Not only is this one of the most in-experienced Saints team I have ever seen, it is also the worst. GWS by 32 points.
CDubya, let me lay a little sermon on you on this holy day (holiday!). Let me tell you a relevant little story about a dude everyone else wrote off as well. He was kind of a hippie, all about loving and forgiving people and being nice. What a weirdo right! Just like St Kilda esplanade, he hung out with prostitutes and diseased people. You could say he was a Saintly type. He had a young team too - the apostles didn't have much experience converting but their motto was "Strength through loyalty" (Judas must have missed that memo). And they too went up against Giants - the Great Western Roman Empire. And all right JC got crucified early and everyone said "Put down your glasses, its all over, the fat lady has sang". But then BEST COMEBACK EVER!!! BACK FROM THE DEAD IN A BRILLIANT LAST QUARTER EFFORT AND NOW HE'S CONQUERED THE WHOLE PLANET!! AND I DON'T MEAN TO SHOUT BUT MY CAP LOCK IS STUCK ON MY COMPUTER - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY I.T. PEOPLE TO HELP - OH s*** ITS A PUBLIC HOLIDAY NOONE TO CALL - BLOODY JESUS MAKING TODAY BORING -LITERALLY BLOODY HAHA WITH THE NAILING TO THE CROSS THING - oh s*** I'm going hell - oh its fixed - its a miracle. God bless you all especially those of us who have the patience of Saints ie every ST Kilda supporter. Like Dante, we have traversed the 9 circles of hell and our resurrection and ascension to heaven is coming. Although on Sunday we may get f&*ked like Bunnies. But the choccie eggs make it all better (though perhaps not for McCartin - maybe that's why HE'S NOT PLAYING TOO MANY EGGS...OH s*** NOT AGAIN....

saintjake
Club Player

GWS paying $3.25 to win by over 39.5 at the TAB.

Load up lads, their midfield is just streets ahead of ours, in both skills and speed.
Mumford will have a field day against us and give their mids first use every single time.
Wouldn't suprise me if Cameron is sitting pretty at the top of the coleman medal race by the end of the round either.

It's not going to be pretty.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Apart from who is missing from our best 22 (which is open to debate), we are a slow side.
Webster, Wright and Gilbert would have helped in this area. So, injury has robbed us of some much needed pace, too.

Whatever happens on Sunday, we are potentially a better side - and hopefully we'll see that at some stage this year with a settled line up.
Ray, Webster, Wright and Gilbert also add some run and carry.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I assume Fisher will go to Cameron?
I think Fisher v Cameron will play a big part in the result.

Now Fisher usually likes to play the 'plus one' rebounder role but sometimes takes a defensive role. If my memory is correct - when he does a 100% shut down job he usually does it well. My concern is that when he is 'in-between' roles and tries to switch between defence and attack , he can come unstuck. This is probably the case for every player. He needs to have certainty in his role. If he gets caught between a defensive and attacking mindset then Cameron could get hold of us and tear us a new one. If I was coach I'd have Fisher only focus on his defensive role. Leave the rebounding to Shenton and Savage.

There is also no obvious match up for Delaney this week if GWS go with a mobile fwd line.
McCarthy seems to be the likely match up for Delaney.
I am not convinced that Tomlinson can or will play full fwd. If he does I think that helps us.

linz
Club Player

I think we're a show. I'm worried about Mumford dominating the Ruck though.
Go Saints.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:GWS paying $3.25 to win by over 39.5 at the TAB.

Load up lads, their midfield is just streets ahead of ours, in both skills and speed.
Mumford will have a field day against us and give their mids first use every single time.
Wouldn't suprise me if Cameron is sitting pretty at the top of the coleman medal race by the end of the round either.

It's not going to be pretty.
Are you in the know that Shenton will be playing full forward?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
felix wrote:

We have started to turn a corner hopefully. Billings should be back soon and Webster not far behind and Ray is probably the only other best 22 player out then. I would take that after last year.
Sammy Gilbert is certainly in our best 22 and Ross probably top 25.

andrewg
Club Player

Steven and Armo need a big day.....they have a very very very good midfield and with Cameron back to full fitness we could struggle...I think gws might be a top 8 chance this year so I would be surprised if we won. Happy but surprised

sainter104
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
remboy wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Ha ha - Respect!

a lot of the younger ones don't have any understanding of what it was like to not beat sides for a decade - 20+ losses in a row to Hawthorn and Essendon, probably something like 1 or 2 wins out of 20 or more against sides like Carlton, Collingwood, and Geelong, and it just went on and on like that for years, didn't it?
And nothing is as humiliating as having 200+ points kicked against you, especially when the side doing it was ordinary, like the Bulldogs or the Swans, who weren't much better than us at the time.
Ah, the memories. I remember going to school every Monday and having to put up with 'what happened to StKilda!' and my only comeback was 'they got crapped on. Again.'
Didn't we lose the first three games by over 100 points one year during our golden period 83-86?
wining a game in the early 80's was worth celebrating..I remember jumping the fence at Moorabbin and running down the race with the players and into the rooms to celebrate a win against Richmond....we were terrible but I still travelled down there every week...and I live in Tulla...go figure.

god i used to catch the train from broady to city to linton st in the 80s from tulla as well now im living in perth !!!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

At my brother in laws place in Ipswich for lunch they dont follow sport so have baggsed the foxtel telly for 1 pm already

Go Saints!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If they don't follow sport why are they paying for the sports channels? Or is it on FTA?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

on 7 i think?

anyhoo im on the couch waiting for the game already
kinda sad in a way
might fart around outside for a couple hrs, stock up on some wood and kindling
better move soon otherwise im not going to move till after the game

citywest

matrix wrote:on 7 i think?

kinda sad in a way
Why don't you go to the game instead of farting around outside?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

kinda sad in a way

Because he lives in South Australia.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:If they don't follow sport why are they paying for the sports channels? Or is it on FTA?
They have premium foxtel all channels rich lol

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mumford talking about GWS being "scary" by mid year. Getting ahead of yourself much? You wonder if all the constant hype of becoming a "powerhouse" can't but help go to their head and get ahead of themselves. They are already way up themselves by all accounts slagging off the Bulldogs history etc. Be great if we caught them off guard early thinking its a walk in the park.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

kinda sad in a way
idiot :roll: