We will target Sloane at end of season!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will target Sloane at end of season!!

elizabethr wrote:
dragit wrote:
elizabethr wrote:Faggot little chap
:shock:
Yey dragie
Ye know, I don't think of myself as particularly leftie or politically correct, but this kind of thing just isn't okay anymore... This is a public forum, just saying.

Austinnn
Club Player

dragit wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
dragit wrote:
Yey dragie
Ye know, I don't think of myself as particularly leftie or politically correct, but this kind of thing just isn't okay anymore... This is a public forum, just saying.
Seconded, dragit.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Too much of a brass band, I'm suspicious
Where is Sloanes' "stick-to-it-ness" and loyalty to a club that has spent hundreds of thousands of him? These guys who go running home to mummy or girlfriends when still young worry me. Doesn't show great character or willingness to see something through in my eyes.
Correct me if I am wrong.... maybe 'matrix' can answer.

Does the Sloane Ranger....really want to go running home to mummy? Didn't I read that his parents relocated to SA some time after he was drafted (as did Roo's parents from Qld to Vic)? Has his mummy retuned to Melbourne or still with his Daddy in SA?

Also isn't his girlfriend/partner/wife(?) an SA girl? The 'Cupid Impact' starts to click in then. Most times the partners(??) - especially if there are any off-spring involved - they often influence footballing hubby (in this case Sloane) to remain in the State where she ( the girlfriend/partner/wife) has family support/friends. Just musing....................??

I'm a bit like SainterK................... too much of a brass band, now the conductor seems to have perscussion, woodwind and the strings joining in. Smokescreen perhaps??
I can help with some answers.

His parents have or are relocating back to Melbourne.

His partner, an SA girl, has actually gotten a job with a Melbourne based company.

He was asked a couple of weeks ago about Adelaides history, he said all I remember about the Crows was being shattered when they beat St Kilda in 97.

He loves the Saints and is probably more vocal about his and his families love than most.

He has previously said, I want to play for the Crows forever, as long as Danger does too - tongue in cheek for sure but could have legs. Crows are no closer than us to a premiership, in fact, without Danger, the writing is on the wall already - even moreso without Sloane too.

The lure of playing in an up and coming team, with lots more money to offer, in your home state, for the team you idolise could well be enough for Rory.

I just can't comprehend why we would be against the idea of getting a player like Sloane into the team.

Sure, Shiel is younger, but no one, including Sloane is a done deal, it's as though we are just picking these blokes off a supermarket shelf, it ain't that simple. And perhaps, to attract more top level talent, we need to show others that we can do exactly that.

It does sound strange, that in the week of playing Adelaide, the Ox comes out with a comment to Finnis on Fineys show. Perhaps Shiel wants to see if we can be a destination for big names - Dylan could potentially see Sloane linked and think, I want to be part of what they are creating. Who knows, but one thing is for sure, it's no accident that we are all talking about Sloane.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

A no for me. Wait until he or another is a FA.

I want Shiel - gun midfielder who has 4 more years left than Sloane.

Unless the go home and go to the Saints factor is big and we can trade a second round pick for him, then I'd consider.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
dragit wrote:
Yey dragie

Oh Elizabeth if it isn't about Armo you don't care. Well this is a saints forum not an Armo forum and your comments are pathetic. Anyway on topic. We would probably all want Sloane at the right price but I cant believe people want him with our first pick. He is a FA age but we have to pay and it will take a first rounder. There are bugger all examples of clubs getting guys for under their cost. Even Ball was on the outer when he left us so he isn't a real great example. I think we are mad to get a 26 old for maybe picks 1 to 5. Mad. If we want someone that age then chase a FA or better still work on the uncontracted 21 and 22 year olds at GWS. They are worth a top 5 pick. In our situation a 26 year old isn't.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Sloane is not a free agent but Dangerfield is. Could the thought be trade for Sloane and try to bring in Danger as a FA using his mate as a carrot?
If we could secure the two for what would effectively be our first round pick that would be a huge win unlikely though it is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Sloane is not a free agent but Dangerfield is. Could the thought be trade for Sloane and try to bring in Danger as a FA using his mate as a carrot?
If we could secure the two for what would effectively be our first round pick that would be a huge win unlikely though it is.

Im happy to have a few bucks that wont happen. Surely one of them will stay and the chances of both coming to us must be close to nil. Like the idea though but it still doesn't win you a flag. Adelaide have been a middle of the road side with both of them playing.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Shiel will be 23, Sloane will be 26, that's not four years, just for accuracies sake.

Strength through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Shiel will be 23, Sloane will be 26, that's not four years, just for accuracies sake.

Good point. Doesn't change my opinion especially as I think Shiel is a better player anyway with even more upside.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Shiel will be 23, Sloane will be 26, that's not four years, just for accuracies sake.

Good point. Doesn't change my opinion especially as I think Shiel is a better player anyway with even more upside.
Agree that Shiel is probably the better prospect due to age and potential improvement especially after what he has shown this year. What Sloane gives is leadership and Lenny like qualities. Both outstanding prospects.

Strength through Loyalty
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Take him in a heartbeat if he's keen to move to us , would be our best midfielder the day he signs with us and give us the class , run , and toughness we need to start heading back to the finals quicker..
You mean like Carlton did with Judd? That worked well for them in the long run.

saintjake
Club Player

Just for arguments sake.

Let's say we almekne manage to get Sloane for a second rounder plus a player. (We play hardball, he does a Luke Ball and says he only wants to play with the saints)

We then use our first rounder in Shiel.

Is everyone happy then? :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Sloane is not a free agent but Dangerfield is. Could the thought be trade for Sloane and try to bring in Danger as a FA using his mate as a carrot?

I'm seeing a red herring here. We will be looking at Treloar or Shiel or someone else and just trying to get them jittery about us using our first pick on Sloane so they don't hold out for our first two picks. Something along the lines of take pick one and Siposs or we will just get Sloane instead.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Just for arguments sake.

Let's say we almekne manage to get Sloane for a second rounder plus a player. (We play hardball, he does a Luke Ball and says he only wants to play with the saints)

Where do I sign up for that. As long as it isn't a player that has an enormous upside is the only catch.

Freebird
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Just for arguments sake.

Ball was not rated high thats why he slipped through..Sloane will not be there for anything but 1st rounder unless we finish last and he puts himself in the pre-season or we trade 2nd pick and Dunstan. What is sloane worth? Where is the advantage of trading our 1st pick

66 says no one uses the pre-season draft anymore well if collingwood/carlton finished last they certainly would to get the deal done.

saintjake
Club Player

Wow! Not even adelaide would think a second rounder and Dunstan is fair!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Firstly I don't think Sloane wants to come to the Saints because he still loves them - I'm sure he loves Adelaide just as much now. Secondly I would be so pissed off if we did a deal with Dunstan involved.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:No doubt that Sloane is a very good player

BUT you get ahead by deals to advantage, and as he is not a free agent he will not be cheap as he is in his prime.

After having let many good players go I am not sure who we could now trade that the Crows would want that we would not suffer by losing.

Jacobs is only 27..in hs prime and so I cannot see them wanting one of ours. Good mids is what they would want, and what we are already short of. I mean you you want to get Sloane, but lose Dunstan?

No...we need a good FA rather than a star that we have to trade for.

Agree. Don't spend a top pick on a 26 year old.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Elizabeth, what do you mean?

Homophobia is not ok on the forum. Is that meant to be a joke?

GoSaints11

Couple if things:

Sloane is a gun, but would likely cost us a fair bit to get. Could Scott selwood (free agent) be an alternative? Similar player. Strong runner, tackler and clearance player and would need to trade for him. Maybe only year or two older but that shouldn't take him off the table.

Other than sloane, shiel and treloer, are there any other up and coming kids coming out of contract this year? Finnis said were after out of contract younger players. Who else could we look at? Probably mids or backs I'm guessing.

Also, if trading of future picks come in this year, how would people feel if we offered say our next 2 or 3 years' second round draft picks? I.e picks 20-30 x 2 or 3. If the crows purportedly turned down picks 2&3 for dangerfeild I'm guessing they'd also want a fair bit for sloane.

IMO, he's a gun. Would trade 3x2nd rd draft licks or this years 1st round pick (1-8) in a heartbeat. Not sure he's that keen though. Just hope we can recruit someone to help out admit age and steven in the guts.

Go saints.

St Kilda is a great club - don't ever forget it. It's the peope (supporters, players, coaches & staff) that make it great.
GoSaints11

*would not need to trade for selwood

St Kilda is a great club - don't ever forget it. It's the peope (supporters, players, coaches & staff) that make it great.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Ball was not rated high thats why he slipped through..Sloane will not be there for anything but 1st rounder unless we finish last and he puts himself in the pre-season or we trade 2nd pick and Dunstan. What is sloane worth? Where is the advantage of trading our 1st pick

66 says no one uses the pre-season draft anymore well if collingwood/carlton finished last they certainly would to get the deal done.
That's a totally left field suggestion to trade Dunstan. Zero chance of that happening. Going to be a gun.

Freebird
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Elizabeth, what do you mean?

Homophobia is not ok on the forum. Is that meant to be a joke?
Why do you call Liz homophobic? isn't he / she allowed to have their views or do you force it upon them.

Not saying liz should be airing his/her thoughts on here but what gives you the right

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Unlikely Sloane will leave Adelaide.

However due to Sloane being OOC at seasons end

If he did and was insistent that he want to come to the Saints we will need to trade with Adelaide. We wont trade our first rounder or anyone like Dunstan, Billings etc.

Adelaide accept a unders offer or he can go to the PSD.

Now we have free SC space and can front load a contract with 2.5 mill for the first year to ward off other suitors.

As I said wont happen and above could only happen if Sloane insistent on the Saints and nobody else. If Adelaide can do a better trade deal and Sloan will listen we will miss out.

In a nutshell - Saints wont trade a top 5 pick or a young gun for an OOC player. Adelaide either accepts unders or hawks Sloane around for a better deal. If Sloane wont play ball Adelaid can force hin into the PSD. they get nothing, and we have to front end load to get him

So all of the above is PURE speculation and is only a hypothetical process. Chances are he will sign with Adelaide

You are garbage - Enough said
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Too much of a brass band, I'm suspicious
Where is Sloanes' "stick-to-it-ness" and loyalty to a club that has spent hundreds of thousands of him? These guys who go running home to mummy or girlfriends when still young worry me. Doesn't show great character or willingness to see something through in my eyes.
Correct me if I am wrong.... maybe 'matrix' can answer.

Does the Sloane Ranger....really want to go running home to mummy? Didn't I read that his parents relocated to SA some time after he was drafted (as did Roo's parents from Qld to Vic)? Has his mummy retuned to Melbourne or still with his Daddy in SA?

Also isn't his girlfriend/partner/wife(?) an SA girl? The 'Cupid Impact' starts to click in then. Most times the partners(??) - especially if there are any off-spring involved - they often influence footballing hubby (in this case Sloane) to remain in the State where she ( the girlfriend/partner/wife) has family support/friends. Just musing....................??

I'm a bit like SainterK................... too much of a brass band, now the conductor seems to have perscussion, woodwind and the strings joining in. Smokescreen perhaps??
Pretty sure Rory dates Belinda who is a born and bred melbourne girl who moved to Adelaide to be with Rory. Could ask her Aunty mary or SMS her to check if they are still a couple, but pretty sure that they are and wouldn't be surprised to hear wedding bells soon.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"