Proud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Proud

The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the winning culture will increase when we get some high picks which will flow on to our bottom line....must get high picks this season.

Then when we get that flag I will be even prouder :)

What is the perfect pick number this year? I reckon a top 8 pick maybe good. Would be another 5 or 6 wins for the season. We only get one high pick even if we finish bottom 4. It isn't picks.

I fail to see how our winning culture will come with the addition of a high pick at the expense of winning for next season.

How many games have our two highest picks from last season, including the #1 pick, played so far? How many wins have they contributed to.

Next years high pick many not start contributing to our winning culture until 2017 or 18. Certainly it is a fact that McCartin or Goddard cant contribute to any wins until at least the second half of the 2015 season and probably not until next season, a good 18 months after they have been drafted.

So even if we don't win another game for the season and come last, how many games will this high pick win for us next year.

Now compare that to the damage 11 straight losses will do to confidence, reputation, media feedback, membership, potential sponsorship, the draw for 2016 etc.

Would rather we try to win every single game for 2015 and the dp will take care of itself.
A winning culture will come when we get wins.
Pick 1 is better than 2 and so on. High picks are tradeable for ready made players.
Players are rated by the pick for a reason and we increase our chances if we pick up highly rated players...look I know this all seems obvious and I'm not sure why I have to post it.
We want to get back into the finals not languish mid stream and I want that to happen by 2017, we need a top team to do that...lets get that team now.
Finals will get us the sponsorship and members. The players know where they are at...as I have said to you before...losing doesn't hurt as much as before for this reason...I loved the win the other night but it's like wanting my cake and eating it too.

short term pain long term gain.

Sounds good. I gather is that is guaranteed then? Otherwise I want no part of it and im sure most supporters and all the club want no part of it. I just hope we win our next game. Win or Lose that game I then hope we win the game after that and so on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the winning culture will increase when we get some high picks which will flow on to our bottom line....must get high picks this season.

What is the perfect pick number this year? I reckon a top 8 pick maybe good. Would be another 5 or 6 wins for the season. We only get one high pick even if we finish bottom 4. It isn't picks.
I want the highest pick.

Your turn.
Do you have to trash this thread when you perfectly well know there is another long-running thread for that type of discussion?

Read the OP again. This thread is for those that already feel pride in what the club has done of late.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah firey
you know the rules
stop taking the thread in another direction when you couldve posted in the other thread thats heading in said direction

trouble maker
8-)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah firey
you know the rules
stop taking the thread in another direction when you couldve posted in the other thread thats heading in said direction

trouble maker
8-)
Well I'd like an apology from saintsrising. Other posters were talking about wanting to win and mentioning picks I was simply responding. Actually I wonder why plugger didn't come to my defence ??

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I fail to see how our winning culture will come with the addition of a high pick at the expense of winning for next season.

How many games have our two highest picks from last season, including the #1 pick, played so far? How many wins have they contributed to.

Next years high pick many not start contributing to our winning culture until 2017 or 18. Certainly it is a fact that McCartin or Goddard cant contribute to any wins until at least the second half of the 2015 season and probably not until next season, a good 18 months after they have been drafted.

So even if we don't win another game for the season and come last, how many games will this high pick win for us next year.

Now compare that to the damage 11 straight losses will do to confidence, reputation, media feedback, membership, potential sponsorship, the draw for 2016 etc.

Would rather we try to win every single game for 2015 and the dp will take care of itself.
Pick 1 is better than 2 and so on. High picks are tradeable for ready made players.
Players are rated by the pick for a reason and we increase our chances if we pick up highly rated players...look I know this all seems obvious and I'm not sure why I have to post it.
We want to get back into the finals not languish mid stream and I want that to happen by 2017, we need a top team to do that...lets get that team now.
Finals will get us the sponsorship and members. The players know where they are at...as I have said to you before...losing doesn't hurt as much as before for this reason...I loved the win the other night but it's like wanting my cake and eating it too.

Sounds good. I gather is that is guaranteed then? Otherwise I want no part of it and im sure most supporters and all the club want no part of it. I just hope we win our next game. Win or Lose that game I then hope we win the game after that and so on.
i don't think you have read what I have said previously. Something you accuse others of. I said there is no guarantee but our chances would be greater with higher picks. Back on the merry go round. Your turn

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

MC Gusto wrote: I don't care what anyone says, developing a winning culture is far more valuable than a prize pick will ever be. I hope we continue to build on the spirit and momentum at the club and am confident we'll draft and trade well no matter our ladder position.

Go saints!!
as am I - and its why i didnt bother with the rubbish "Im torn thread"
Playing every game with an attitude of expecting to win rather than hoping to win - is the only way to play todays football & it also seeds doubt into opponents before first bounce.

I have seen too many high end draft picks coast - so give me pick 6 that wants to win & prove himself any day.
Because as everyone keeps saying - todays football is played 90% above the shoulders.

Seeya
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What happens when the lower pick is not as good as a higher pick.

So tell me who was the better pick from the 2009 draft #1 or #20?

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i don't think you have read what I have said previously. Something you accuse others of. I said there is no guarantee but our chances would be greater with higher picks. Back on the merry go round. Your turn

So there is no guarantee, but you would rather we piss all the good work the club has done since our wooden spoon up against the wall so we can lose and maybe, possibly get a Tom Scully instead of a Nat Fyfe.

Huge risk if you ask me.

I rather like seeing my club improving incrementally. I dislike seeing my club losing and validating the stereotype of it being a rabble and a loser culture.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I just want us to nail our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, and for our first rounder just pick a player that most pundits have in their top 10.

That'll do.

I'd far prefer that scenario to getting a steal in our first round pick and stuffing up our second and third round pick

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If pick 20 works out better than pick 1 then that is the gamble but if you were offered a pick from 1 to 20 which would you take ?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So there is no guarantee, but you would rather we piss all the good work the club has done since our wooden spoon up against the wall so we can lose and maybe, possibly get a Tom Scully instead of a Nat Fyfe.

Huge risk if you ask me.

I rather like seeing my club improving incrementally. I dislike seeing my club losing and validating the stereotype of it being a rabble and a loser culture.
I was talking to Plugger Joff. I certainly don't want to piss away any good work that the club has done, I simply want to take advantage of the system and improve the club and I don't like seeing us lose either, I want us in the finals asap.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

Interesting theory on cause and effect but if only if it was so easy.

There are many elements to a good culture. Winning games is an outcome of a successful culture.

Lose to get higher draft picks, then wins will come and voilà: you have a winning culture.

I don't think so.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If pick 20 works out better than pick 1 then that is the gamble but if you were offered a pick from 1 to 20 which would you take ?
I would. Probably means we may have won the flag. Anyway all I want is the club to keep doing everything right off the field and hopefully win as many games as they can on the field.

Austinnn
Club Player

Its a combination of a few factors.

New CEO who already seems to be far more competent than the last dozen by some margin.

A realistic plan for returning to Junction Oval and then Moorabbin, with outside support and a good chance of being realised.

A media team who, along with the PR savvy CEO, are soaking the media in feelgood Saints stories. Think: Future Fest, Pride March, St Kilda festival, and Inside The Inner Sanctum, and the epic coach box audio release.

A strong draft that we did very well in, bearing immediate results with Lonie and Sinclair,

A strong open plan (Road to 2020) mapping out clearly our rebuild,

Due to said plan, and the fact that the head coach is in his 2nd year, a couple of years of low expectations and pressure from fans and media, (compare with Carlton, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne),

A year of acute disappointment finishing with a wooden spoon and internal and external predictions of worse this year,

Surprises from players, ie Bruce, the aforementioned Lonie and Sinclair, Schneider, Armitage and even Tom Lee for those following Sandy,

In short, the Summers staff have latched onto the Hope factor big time and are getting the absolute most out of the lean years. How they operate in the next stage when we're expected to compete (see Port Adelaide) will be exciting to see. I was gonna say that will be when they really earn their corn, but I think that's diminishing the job they are doing now.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

There are many elements to a good culture. Winning games is an outcome of a successful culture.

Lose to get higher draft picks, then wins will come and voilà: you have a winning culture.

I don't think so.
talk to me about winning culture if and when we make the finals sooner than later due to high picks.voilà: I prefer cellos :)

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.
talk to me about winning culture if and when we make the finals sooner than later due to high picks.voilà: I prefer cellos :)

I would argue that when we make the finals sooner it will be because of the likes of Bruce, and Newnes, and Sinclair, and DMac and Dunstan, and Lonie more than Billing and McCartin.

It takes canny drafting later in the draft to fill out the team.

A higher pick can help, but as I noted in the past a Tambling over a Franklin, a Scully over a Fyfe, even a Ball over a Judd or an X over Bartel in our case. God forbid a Watts over anyone

Draft is full of high dp's who turned out to be just gops. Huge gamble to take on an underdeveloped kid with potential.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.

I would argue that when we make the finals sooner it will be because of the likes of Bruce, and Newnes, and Sinclair, and DMac and Dunstan, and Lonie more than Billing and McCartin.

A higher pick can help, but as I noted in the past a Tambling over a Franklin, a Scully over a Fyfe, even a Ball over a Judd or an X over Bartel in our case. God forbid a Watts over anyone

Draft is full of high dp's who turned out to be just gops. Huge gamble to take on an underdeveloped kid with potential.
mate I love the group we have atm, the potential staggering....just want a top up :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I want the highest pick.

Your turn.
Do you have to trash this thread when you perfectly well know there is another long-running thread for that type of discussion?

Read the OP again. This thread is for those that already feel pride in what the club has done of late.
All threads get trashed (ask Pluggs he trashed heaps )
Don't pretend now we have "secluded threads"
It's a fan forum - don't like it don't read it

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.

Of course it does but the reality of getting Hamill for 70 whatever has decreased dramatically as drafting has improved
No one said you don't need to choose wisely but I am yet to see anyone draft Tom Boyd from pick 12..... That's the point

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lol Firey its a good call and is definitely Pluggs MO
Fortunately all know this
Pluggs doesn't answer questions and makes up wha you haven't said as fact....then his old favourite is "I don't understand..."

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Its a combination of a few factors.

New CEO who already seems to be far more competent than the last dozen by some margin.

A realistic plan for returning to Junction Oval and then Moorabbin, with outside support and a good chance of being realised.

A media team who, along with the PR savvy CEO, are soaking the media in feelgood Saints stories. Think: Future Fest, Pride March, St Kilda festival, and Inside The Inner Sanctum, and the epic coach box audio release.

A strong draft that we did very well in, bearing immediate results with Lonie and Sinclair,

A strong open plan (Road to 2020) mapping out clearly our rebuild,

Due to said plan, and the fact that the head coach is in his 2nd year, a couple of years of low expectations and pressure from fans and media, (compare with Carlton, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne),

A year of acute disappointment finishing with a wooden spoon and internal and external predictions of worse this year,

Surprises from players, ie Bruce, the aforementioned Lonie and Sinclair, Schneider, Armitage and even Tom Lee for those following Sandy,

In short, the Summers staff have latched onto the Hope factor big time and are getting the absolute most out of the lean years. How they operate in the next stage when we're expected to compete (see Port Adelaide) will be exciting to see. I was gonna say that will be when they really earn their corn, but I think that's diminishing the job they are doing now.
... nice read.
... hav'n afl big boys as well , intentfully driving 'n supporting our endevours off field
is quietly helpfull , as it no doubt also encourages a quiet confidence amongst that 'outside support' u noted.
... timing is Everything 'n it seems to be falling our way ... which is huge for momentum creation ... hopefully nutured by 'n with a patience at completing foundations

... i will also enjoy the journey of our high octane approach stretching our fitness levels as we move forward into the next stanza of games Then how we cope on tired legs meeting the big boys with Finals attitude ... more of that perfect timing :)

Go Us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.
That's a big assumption and that is the problem with the simple theory that finishing towards the bottom and getting early draft picks leads to success.

BTW. I like the cello too. I hear it every day, live and unplugged. Opera, ballet, symphonies....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.

Of course it does but the reality of getting Hamill for 70 whatever has decreased dramatically as drafting has improved
No one said you don't need to choose wisely but I am yet to see anyone draft Tom Boyd from pick 12..... That's the point
I reckon the drafting for Collingwood in 2008 helped them win a premiership with Sidebottom(11) and Beams (29) in the one year. Both came on quick and were very high grade players. That year Melbourne got Watts (1) Sam Blease at priority pick 17 and James Strauss (19). Hannerbury, Sloane, Walters, Shiels, Zaharakis and Trengove from Port all came after those picks.

Good drafting by getting two guns in a year makes you a much better team and conversely wasting three picks in one kills your future. That year we got Lynch, Cahill, Al Smith etc. It was an absolute bust for us and Melbourne but a bumper crop for teams like Freo who got Stephen Hill, Balantine, Zac Clarke and walters in one year.

I think Lonie looks like a potential star already, Sinclair will at least be handy, Mc kenzie looks high level and Goddard and Mc cartin are ridiculously high potential. This could be the draft that we look back on and see where our fast track starts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lynch shouldn't have been a bust. Blame Lyon for that one.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I don't think so.
That's a big assumption and that is the problem with the simple theory that finishing towards the bottom and getting early draft picks leads to success.

BTW. I like the cello too. I hear it every day, live and unplugged. Opera, ballet, symphonies....
???