Daniel Markworth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Markworth

I think he is safe due to many others who probably have proven they aren't up to it or are ready to retire. Having said that he has a year at the most to go. There are no excuses from now on, even injury. 4 years probably without a game is certainly sticking fat. If he is let go I don't think he would even complain.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Middo wrote:Have never really seen anything in Murdoch when he has played , have some gone past him now and he's missed the boat ..?
Very possibly, hope not….
For me Murdoch is one of those players that can kick 3 or 4 and be that strong bodied high HF that bangs around in finals times.
A long way from it at the moment though, I understand…..
To date Murdoch has been lucky to get 3-4 kicks in a game let alone kick that many goals. Has good attributes but I don't think he can read the play.

FQF
SS Life Member

I hope he stays on the list. If Freo can still be carrying Morabito who, while probably more upside, has far worse injury problems, then St Kilda can save a spot on their list for an unfortunate but highly talented and fast kid who's been a bit unlucky.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Thompson didn't have his AFL debut until he was almost 25 years old, so there is still hope for Daniel.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I do not see the issue in keeping him - If he has the traits that we need and the skills that we are looking for - is it not better to nuture him to full health etc and have a Sainter for life, than to take the punt on a number 90+ draft pick, because realistically at this time that is all that he would be freeing up. It is not like we are going to get a bonus 1st rounder if we delist him, and from the sounds of it if he is half as good as we all hope and he is only in our worst 6 on any given day then we have a pretty strong team going forward!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Andrew Thompson didn't have his AFL debut until he was almost 25 years old, so there is still hope for Daniel.

Yes there is definitely hope. Id give him a go next year. But at some point reality must meet hope and have a discussion. That discussion may never need to happen because he might just starting playing every week.

Austinnn
Club Player

I reckon we are in a pretty decent spot with our list. We've got enough talent at both ends of the experience spectrum, a couple of handy midrange players and a small fleet of unknowns: Markworth, Murdoch, Pierce, White, Saunders, Wright, Lee, Sippos, Minchington, Curren, Simpkin. In order of potential to be more than they've shown.

It's the last few that are closest to the chopping board, the first lot have a year or so to show something, whether its with us or another team who need to shortcut their rebuild or top up for the final push the cheap way.

Being that its a shallow draft this year and the remaining FA morsels aren't very tasty, and being that we will see a couple of retirements at year's end, I don't think we'll need to make much space.

Next year is make or break for all those players apart from Pierce, who will take longer to develop. They are signed up and in no position to demand better terms in their next contracts so they are good squad players to have based on their potential. If they can demand inclusion then great: they replace someone who isn't performing, or if there's no space for them, they can be traded. If they are in the same possie in 12 months, we can see what we can replace them with.

Surely we have to identify the upgrade before we think of cutting anyone from our list, although obviously us fans are more in the dark about that side of the equation.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

If Markworth never makes it, he's still probably got a very promising career ahead of him in medicine, so don't feel too sorry for him. He's given it his best shot.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No durability, body not up to rigours. Delist or at best rookie list IMO.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No durability, body not up to rigours. Delist or at best rookie list IMO.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Vazelos
Club Player

Thanks for all the feed back guys.
Im keen to have a look at him myself maybe Sunday.
I hear talented etc but who has seen him play at Sandy last few weeks?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/footy-m ... spx?id=411

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Sandringham 2.2 2.9 5.11 9.12 (66)
Casey Scorpions 1.6 2.6 4.10 4.13 (37)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Zijai 5 Williams 2 Weickhardt Ong
Casey Scorpions: Rennie 3 Waters

BEST:
Sandringham: Murdoch Zijai Maitland Markworth Verma Persson
Casey Scorpions: Gains Fisscher McDonald Keilty Corrigan Petropoulos

Sandringham’s development side has made it two wins on the trot, kicking away in the last to run out 29-point victors.

In horrid conditions at Trevor Barker Oval, goals were at a premium for much of the contest. However, the Zebras, led by Yllber Zijai, broke the game open to kick four goals to Casey’s none in the last quarter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
supersaints
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:Saints on record as saying their list profile is unbalanced and they lack players in the 22-26y.o bracket. Seems logical to me that given his injury troubles and a shallow draft outside the first round, that they will keep Markworth on the list for another season. IMO it's better the devil you know sometimes, especially given the kid has talent. Give him a 1 year contract extension and see if he makes the grade
IMO "players in the 22 to 26 yo bracket" is about experience in games, players who have had at least 60 plus games or quite a few more , but are in the " premiership age"
bracket. What I'm trying to say is that he doesn't bring the 22 - 26 yo player game experience that we lack, but having done all the preseasons his body will have more physical maturity that a younger player

That being said I would love to keep him, could be a gun. He certainly could have a bright future "if" he can get his body right, I think we don't

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:I do not see the issue in keeping him - If he has the traits that we need and the skills that we are looking for - is it not better to nuture him to full health etc and have a Sainter for life, than to take the punt on a number 90+ draft pick, because realistically at this time that is all that he would be freeing up.
But pick 90+ could be the next Jack Sinclair. Impossible to know but there's always a cost to every decision.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

People keep saying he has talent but does he?
He has played a number of games for Sandy and rarely makes it into the best there.
I have only seen him at Sandy a couple of times so I have had to rely on the match reports for performance evaluations.
He is tall and obviously quite quick but he does not seem able to find the ball when playing for Sandy if the reports are anything to go by.
The standard report seems to be that when he gets the ball he looks the goods but is fairly quiet.
I could be wrong and sincerely hope I am but he certainly has not torn it up for Sandy when he has played.
He may well get offered another year or potentially dropped back to the rookie list to give him one last shot.
But if he doesn't get himself a regular spot in the Seniors next year then I am afraid it is bye bye Daniel.

FQF
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote:People keep saying he has talent but does he?
He has played a number of games for Sandy and rarely makes it into the best there.
I have only seen him at Sandy a couple of times so I have had to rely on the match reports for performance evaluations.
He is tall and obviously quite quick but he does not seem able to find the ball when playing for Sandy if the reports are anything to go by.
The standard report seems to be that when he gets the ball he looks the goods but is fairly quiet.
I could be wrong and sincerely hope I am but he certainly has not torn it up for Sandy when he has played.
He may well get offered another year or potentially dropped back to the rookie list to give him one last shot.
But if he doesn't get himself a regular spot in the Seniors next year then I am afraid it is bye bye Daniel.
No doubt about it that if he isn't playing regular seniors next year, that'll be the end for him. Can't comment on his ability, but for whatever reason there does seem to be unanimous agreement that he has the talent.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

3rd consecutive week in the development squad can't be good.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:3rd consecutive week in the development squad can't be good.

it can when you haven't played much for 3 years and there is an almost fully fit squad-- consistent game time is invaluable.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
dragit wrote:3rd consecutive week in the development squad can't be good.

it can when you haven't played much for 3 years and there is an almost fully fit squad-- consistent game time is invaluable.
I'm sure he's rapt.