Mitch Brown?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Mitch Brown?

If we are looking at Brown, it will be because Fisher is finishing at the end of the year. He would be cheap, mature aged cover for the likes of Goddard (and Lee, and whoever our key backs are going to be).

Once Fisher is gone, if we lose Roo to injury our spine starts to lack seasoned bodies in a big way. Brown appears versatile , cheap, and is a good age for a low cost gamble.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Schneider is doing ok but they don't have to keep playing him. DMac should've be getting more games and was doing well until he got hit.

But they do on form. If he is on the list and playing well he deserves to play like anyone else. He shouldn't be on our list. Brown certainly shouldn't be taken by us. And I don't think he is taking McKenzie place because he isn't even an emergency.

Saint wagga
Club Player

True Believer wrote:If we are looking at Brown, it will be because Fisher is finishing at the end of the year. He would be cheap, mature aged cover for the likes of Goddard (and Lee, and whoever our key backs are going to be).

Once Fisher is gone, if we lose Roo to injury our spine starts to lack seasoned bodies in a big way. Brown appears versatile , cheap, and is a good age for a low cost gamble.
But i think the point being made, it isn't realy a gamble, he'e been tried and tested at the top level and proven to be nothing too flash. And we already have a cheap mature age ready to go defender currently not in our best 22, Delaney! don't think we need another.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Saint wagga wrote:
True Believer wrote:If we are looking at Brown, it will be because Fisher is finishing at the end of the year. He would be cheap, mature aged cover for the likes of Goddard (and Lee, and whoever our key backs are going to be).

But i think the point being made, it isn't realy a gamble, he'e been tried and tested at the top level and proven to be nothing too flash. And we already have a cheap mature age ready to go defender currently not in our best 22, Delaney! don't think we need another.

Didn't say I agree with it, simply that I could understand the thinking being used.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Saint wagga
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:

Didn't say I agree with it, simply that I could understand the thinking being used.
fair call

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:Our backline depth is poor and we actually don't have many in his age demographic.
Could be a cheap option for KPB. Worth a look IMO. One guy like that on the list is not going to do damage.

But it isn't one. There is Lee, Pierce, Markworth, Murdoch, Saunders not getting games. He costs us a pick which either means less in the draft or another delisted player. If you get someone that age surely you don't get them for depth unless its a ruckman.
But he wouldn't be taking games off Pierce, Markworth, Murdoch or Saunders - they're completely different players.

I know that but it does take games off the person delisted for him or the person drafted ahead of him. On that theory may as well draft CJ back. It may take games off Goddard or McCartin. lets be honest here. Schneider is playing because we stupidly redrafted him. If he wasn't its more likely a young kid would be playing instead but because of form we are forced to keep playing Schneider but he may not be helping certain players in the future.

You delist a player coz he doesn't cut it, other players then come on the list. Typically it would be a guy that isn't performing in lower levels so he wouldn't be taking games off a delisted player.
And to be clear a 31yo. 150 gamer that is still punching out good performances in the midfield is not analogous to a 25yo. 15 gamer, KP player riddled with injuries over his time and therefore had no continuity, who has finally got his body right.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He deserves a chance somewhere. He is a stand out this year and looks to have gone up a gear. No being able to displace some of the games best back men in his time at Geelong is hardly a great reason to discount him. The injuries were pretty bad too. Fisher is mid 30s instead of mid 20s. He has another 6 year in him if he can get going.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:Our backline depth is poor and we actually don't have many in his age demographic.
Could be a cheap option for KPB. Worth a look IMO. One guy like that on the list is not going to do damage.

But it isn't one. There is Lee, Pierce, Markworth, Murdoch, Saunders not getting games. He costs us a pick which either means less in the draft or another delisted player. If you get someone that age surely you don't get them for depth unless its a ruckman.
But he wouldn't be taking games off Pierce, Markworth, Murdoch or Saunders - they're completely different players.

I know that but it does take games off the person delisted for him or the person drafted ahead of him. On that theory may as well draft CJ back. It may take games off Goddard or McCartin. lets be honest here. Schneider is playing because we stupidly redrafted him. If he wasn't its more likely a young kid would be playing instead but because of form we are forced to keep playing Schneider but he may not be helping certain players in the future.

You delist a player coz he doesn't cut it, other players then come on the list. Typically it would be a guy that isn't performing in lower levels so he wouldn't be taking games off a delisted player.
And to be clear a 31yo. 150 gamer that is still punching out good performances in the midfield is not analogous to a 25yo. 15 gamer, KP player riddled with injuries over his time and therefore had no continuity, who has finally got his body right.

A real myth there. he wasn't injured for 6 years. He just wasn't good enough when fit. We have Delaney and Lee in the backline. All 3 are the same in that they have been around AFL clubs for years but aren't really good enough. I rather take a punt on an unkown 18 year old. may get the next Sinclair or the next LJ Conners but with Brown we get a 6 year AFL player with 15 games under his belt. A complete waste of a pick. And he has probably got his body right because he is training and playing VFL footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He deserves a chance somewhere. He is a stand out this year and looks to have gone up a gear. No being able to displace some of the games best back men in his time at Geelong is hardly a great reason to discount him. The injuries were pretty bad too. Fisher is mid 30s instead of mid 20s. He has another 6 year in him if he can get going.

Yep and we probably thought the same about Delaney and Lee and look at those 2.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't mind Brown as a rookie pick if the draft is as shallow as everyone is saying. It probably isn't the ideal time to be looking at KP depth, although with Fisher, Dempster and Roo all week-to-week prospects it could be handy to have someone like Brown on the list so we're not forced to play Paddy/Goddard when they aren't ready or at least to take some heat off them. Essentially he'd be replacing Simpkin - Brown is more versatile and has a higher ceiling but Simpkin is more durable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Wouldn't mind Brown as a rookie pick if the draft is as shallow as everyone is saying. It probably isn't the ideal time to be looking at KP depth, although with Fisher, Dempster and Roo all week-to-week prospects it could be handy to have someone like Brown on the list so we're not forced to play Paddy/Goddard when they aren't ready or at least to take some heat off them. Essentially he'd be replacing Simpkin - Brown is more versatile and has a higher ceiling but Simpkin is more durable.

Arent Lee and Delaney already enough depth?

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Wouldn't mind Brown as a rookie pick if the draft is as shallow as everyone is saying. It probably isn't the ideal time to be looking at KP depth, although with Fisher, Dempster and Roo all week-to-week prospects it could be handy to have someone like Brown on the list so we're not forced to play Paddy/Goddard when they aren't ready or at least to take some heat off them. Essentially he'd be replacing Simpkin - Brown is more versatile and has a higher ceiling but Simpkin is more durable.

No

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No

Ok. Lets good more seconds players then. Every year we get these threads. Luckily the club don't usually go down this track. I hope this is another year they don't. Im confident they have all this under control.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A real myth there. he wasn't injured for 6 years. He just wasn't good enough when fit. We have Delaney and Lee in the backline. All 3 are the same in that they have been around AFL clubs for years but aren't really good enough. I rather take a punt on an unkown 18 year old. may get the next Sinclair or the next LJ Conners but with Brown we get a 6 year AFL player with 15 games under his belt. A complete waste of a pick. And he has probably got his body right because he is training and playing VFL footy.
He was severly restricted by injuries that also coincided with being behind some premiership players to get a gig. Would get a game then no matter how he performed was dropped. Geelong had to decide between him and Vardy.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
He was severly restricted by injuries that also coincided with being behind some premiership players to get a gig. Would get a game then no matter how he performed was dropped. Geelong had to decide between him and Vardy.

Yep heard the same about Delaney and Gamble.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

I'm in agreeance with you Plugger66 in that recycling players who have been on other lists is something i'm not a big fan of, escpecially when looking for real A grade quality - it's unlikely to ocme from a guy who's been around a good while, ala Delaney...but i'm also not going to be quite as quick to write guys from other clubs off, becaue I was a very vocal critic of bringing in Weller and Roberton, preferring to give guys on our own rookie list a good crack and just recruiting 18yr olds etc...but Roberton in particular is playing great footy this year and making me eat my words...while Weller is in the leadership group (I still dont think he should be an automativ lock though due to poor disposal but thats for another thread, clearly he's doing some things very very right byt the coaches)...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Neither had the injuries Brown has had. Im not saying we should take Brown but I wouldnt be unhappy if we did. Was behind Scarlett, Taylor, Lonergan Hawkins Mooney Pods for a gig.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Neither had the injuries Brown has had. Im not saying we should take Brown but I wouldnt be unhappy if we did. Was behind Scarlett, Taylor, Lonergan Hawkins Mooney Pods for a gig.

Yep for 6 years which meant new guys came in and they went with them instead of him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Yep for 6 years which meant new guys came in and they went with them instead of him.

Ok who are these new guys they went with? The bloke broke his leg writing off a season and a bit plus a shoulder reco.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Brown's stats in the VFL:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info ... pID=150677

Looks like his first two seasons were injury-affected but after that he seems to get out on the park more. Also looks like he played forward mostly.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who are these new KPP that came into Geelongs settled back 6 in that period?
I'm intrigued they must've snuck in back door.... Scarlett had a twin bro??

“Yeah….nah””
saint6709
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

If it could be done I would be looking at delisting Lee and Rookiing Brown - only a few months age difference - brown appears to be a better player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who are these new KPP that came into Geelongs settled back 6 in that period?
I'm intrigued they must've snuck in back door.... Scarlett had a twin bro??

Teflon I like you very much but I didn't say KPP because even Brown is tall he plays more like as a flanker in the AFL. You should be well acquainted with a similar word. And why the back 6? He is playing as a forward tomorrow. Didn't get much right there. Meh.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Do you even know what Meh means,plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Do you even know what Meh means,plugger?

Saynta I really like you. Meh.