Ask Alan and Matt- twitter chat - 13 Jan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ask Alan and Matt- twitter chat - 13 Jan

loris wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Some really interesting snippets there. They are obviously serious about Tom Lee as a defender. I remember him as not being all that great when the ball hits the deck though which worries me. Gresham is impressing - if he gets an early guernsey in the ones that soothes some of the pain of missing Jakey. Roberton as a mid?? I guess he does that Farren Ray role of a floating, tall marking player who can push out to be a marking target on the wings. If Lonie, Sinclair, Billings, Gresham are all going through the middle then we really do have a mosquito fleet. Good honest twittering. Well done AR and MF.
Hey can I have a gloat please? Even if you all say NO, I will still gloat!!!!!

At least 2 seasons ago (2014) I floated the idea of Roberton as a mid, only one poster on this site thought it could be a goer, & supported me and said the idea had merit. All the other posters who commented, poo hooed the idea quite vociferously.

Welcome aboard Richo if you are seeing what I saw in Roberton after his first season with the Saints!!:wink: :wink: :wink:
Props then Loris. I never really imagined Roberton as a midfielder. "Playing through the midfield" is a pretty all-encompassing phrase these days. If Billings, Lonie and Sinclair all do some work in the midfield, then they are going to tend to push forward as natural goal scorers. You do need defensive, holding players in the middle of the ground too who will sit more out the back to catch the opposition breaking and stop them streaming through the corridor. He can quickly get back to provide cover down back that way. And he can lead out wide to the wings and drag a taller player with him. We do have quite a few guys to try rebounding from the back like Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Rice, White, even Acres. Good to see them trying different things. We are building a list of very versatile players. Could be a real Saints trademark in a few years. A versatile team is one that is hard to stop.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed Bluthy - Robertson just isnt a contact player perhaps by midfield he means on a wing in his case?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Agreed Bluthy - Robertson just isnt a contact player perhaps by midfield he means on a wing in his case?
I would think so.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107