Reward for cheating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Reward for cheating

ripplug66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:In the circumstances, we should be permitted to draft an extra rookie.

Isnt it just a waste of money. The player will have been retired or delisted by a club. Seems like we one just because Essendon got 10. I honestly think the club couldn't give a rats. He has to be delisted at the end of the year.
He's saying we should be permitted.... Doesn't say we should take up the option. Can't you see the difference?

Essendon - the drug cheats who caused our issue - shouldn't have better options in the situation than we do. That is all.

I can obviously but like I said do we want it just to say we got it. We wouldn't use it so why do we care. And Essendon haven't got better options. They are 2 players short. Can I ask a question? Well that's 2 now because I have another one. Do you want to get another player?
Yes. We want it to say we got it. That's all.

I doubt we'd find anyone more useful than a useless rookie upgrade. But, that's not the point.

lefty
Club Player

If our playing list is one short, then yes, I would like to be able to fill that list with a rookie player, past player or not.

Its not a matter about if they will make it or not, its about having one more option. I think we are entitled.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They have signed a 31 and a 32 year old this week. Added to Cooney, BJ, and Jimmy Gwilt, they will have a lot of experience on their list come the NAB challenge. Interesting that the AFL basically told them that they wanted them to recruit players who had retired from footy at the highest level in the past two years to make them competitive. If nothing else it will be interesting to watch how they go about it. It will cost the EFC a fortune if all of their top ups have the prominence of the two they have chosen so far. Personally, I reckon that strategy is flawed because I remember how Lockett and Gehrig came back after brief retirements; complete non-events.
In the short-term it may restrict blow-outs, but it might also go the other way; players get tired, injured, and the whole team becomes completely uncompetitive in the last 8 or 9 rounds and the thrashings really start. Either way, it seems that the directive from the top is to grab mature bodies for the midfield. I have a feeling that they will sign Spencer White to play forward.
I am happy that we can use one of our rookies and I would like it to be Saunders, and I think that having to play a season without Jake, although unfortunate, will give Lee and Delaney the opportunity to make themselves useful in an ageing backline. Those two are playing for their careers.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Thu 21 Jan 2016 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:They have signed a 31 and a 32 year old this week. Added to Cooney, BJ, and Jimmy Gwilt, they will have a lot of experience on their list come the NAB challenge. Interesting that the AFL basically told them that they wanted them to recruit players who had retired from footy at the highest level in the past two years to make them competitive. If nothing else it will be interesting to watch how they go about it. It will cost the EFC a fortune if all of their top ups have the prominence of the two they have chosen so far. Personally, I reckon that strategy is flawed because I remember how Lockett and Gehrig came back after brief retirements; complete non-events.
In the short-term it may restrict blow-outs, but it might also go the other way; players get tired, injured, and the whole team becomes completely uncompetitive in the last 8 or 9 rounds and the thrashings really start.

I would argue the older guys would hang on longer in the year than younger guys. I'm sure you argued that last season and that was why we would struggle late in the year as well as how good the teams we played were. It is a short term fix and I think it is the only way they could go. Why would you want a spencer white for example. may or may not be any good but even if he plays great you have as much hope of 17 other clubs in keeping him.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I did say that - and I turned out to be correct. The EFC have gone down the road of the experienced bodies for the reasons you suggest, and I did say that it might go the other way. Cooney and Kelly have had significant injuries, and Crowley hasn't played for a year, he may lose a yard or two in pace. Crowley and Kelly wouldn't have started pre-season training in anger as yet.
You are correct in that it is the only way to go, but I doubt whether they will go with all oldies; after all they have already recruited Gwilt, Brown and Cooney, and yes; I know that Brown isn't old, but he hasn't played at AFL level for some time. I believe they recruited Brown for the same reason they recruited Coony and Gwilt the year before - Just in case. I think it could restrict development of their younger players though.
Ironically, in light of you raising White, I had edited my post before and said that I think the EFC will recruit White to play up forward. I, for one, will be interested to see how BJ, Gwilt, and Brown go in 2016, because a lot of the players playing alongside them will have had very limited preseasons, or immature for AFL bodies.
I am looking forward to 2016 for us because I am looking forward to seeing how our youngsters go. With Carlton starting their rebuild again, Essendon's issues and playing Melbourne twice at Docklands, as well as playing Brisbane in Melbourne for the first time in many years, I think we can win 7 games. I would like to see us having a go at beating our highest ever score and greatest ever winning margin in 2016.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Jonothan Simpkin is the next cab off the rank to go to Essendope. Wonder if they will also go after his brother Tom as well?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Looks like Jonothan Simpkin is the next cab off the rank to go to Essendope. Wonder if they will also go after his brother Tom as well?
Rumour is that they may take Spencer White. I would be interested to see how he goes if gets the chance.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Rumour is that they may take Spencer White. I would be interested to see how he goes if gets the chance.
Why? They're set with key forwards (don't you know, Joe is the best forward in the competition :roll: ), they need a lot of work on the midfield and backline though.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Saints now saying they want the OPTION of a top-up player, may not use it but want the OPTION.

loris
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:In the circumstances, we should be permitted to draft an extra rookie.

Isnt it just a waste of money. The player will have been retired or delisted by a club. Seems like we one just because Essendon got 10. I honestly think the club couldn't give a rats. He has to be delisted at the end of the year.
Good call Grumps, Saints are now asking for an extra Rookie - just awaiting the AFL response :wink:

ripplug66
Club Player

loris wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Good call Grumps, Saints are now asking for an extra Rookie - just awaiting the AFL response :wink:

Still hope we don't use it. Why spend thousands and they say it cost around 200K to develop a player so that some other club may get him next year. I gather if its a rookie he will be from Sandy anyway. I doubt we would rookie a Kelly type. That would be an even worse waste of money and time which is probably just as important. It still seems people just want this pick because Essendoin got them. I rather want the pick because they can be helpful to the club in a few years time. That is very unlikely to be the case.