Hugh Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hugh Goddard

BigMart wrote:How old was Lever last year? Weitering this year... Or are we conceding that they are probably just better. Kosi impacted at 18, Roo at 19, Maguire 19, Huley, Trengrove, McDonald etc...

Birth certificates mean little if you're good enough. At this stage Hugh is not...

As I STATED
he has got plenty of time!!!!!!

Did that get missed.

But at this stage, he has plenty to learn... As does Paddy

Did I even mention they are NO good or NEVER will be

Sobraz???
Lets look at good present day key defenders at the top sides:

Eagles
Eric Mackenzie didnt really play AFL until he was 21. Played WAFL until then.
Will Schofield the same.

Dogs
Marcus Adams - Just starting in the AFL at 22.

Crows
Kyle Hartigan - Just starting out in the AFL at 24.

Swans
Heath Grundy - Didnt really get AFL games until 23.

Norf
Robbie Tarrant - Did nothing until he was 23.
Scotty Thompson - Did nothing until he was 23.

Eric Mackenzie is probably a similar type as HG and I will be rapt if he ends up that good. Eric did nothing at AFL level until he was 21. He only really got good at 23.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 20 Apr 2016 2:29am, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Hugh Goddard 19 years old. 196 cm. 94kg.

His body may still be developing and filling out.

Harsh to judge him at this early stage - especially based on what he showed last year. Stuffed pre-season this year, played one VFL game. Patience.

Comparing him Boekhorst..... :shock: :shock: Totally different type of player. Different age. No comparison.

Blaine Boekhorst 22 years old. 185cm. 75 kg.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

His cousin Brendon Goddard isn't quick - in fact he's slow, but it hasn't stopped him from averaging 25 (cheap) possessions every week, and winning a best and fairest and nearly a GF off his own boot.
As long as we have the right balance in the back line, with 2 or 3 dashing rebounders alongside him - I'm sure Hugh will become an important part of it.

He takes important marks and reads the play well - and he's already averaging 12 possessions a game in the AFL - which is just one short of Carlisle!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is HG like Lee. Plays a season then back to the drawing board?

Might pay dividends for Lee, maybe HG also

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

While some may think it's a bit far fetched, I believe the lad is still struggling a bit after the dehydration/fainting episode in the pre season.

A concussion in round 1 of the VFL, followed by a bye last weekend, isn't helping him to pick up the pace.

Will get there; we just need to be patient.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:I think his speed and agility is a problem. He's big and heavy (seduced many) but lumbers around a bit in the VFL. He goes OK and has plenty of time, but is not the massive bargain he was thought to be... The ridicule Boekhurst got for being taken before him was interesting... He's playing AFL now, and is doing quite well.

Hugh still has questions to answer
You're a hard task master BM.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
I've seen Hugh play 15 or more VFL games, and a few AFL games. He has got a lot to learn and has a long way to go at this point in time. He dropped down the draft order, because clubs didn't want him for a reason and he went about where he should of...
l
Yep, top 21 out of the 1500 or so kids who nominated for that years draft.

SMS
Club Player

Am I reading this right?? People questioning hugh??

Ahhh as an 18/19 year old last year he did some great things in his 8 games as a defender. He is a gun. He has it. If u cant see that then you have no idea. He showed skill, courage and decision making at AFL LEVEL. He will be our CHB/FB for 10-15 years and possiblt be a saints premiership captain.

SMS
Club Player

Go back and watch his games last year!! If he has had issues this year due to injury hownabout giving the teenager a break. He will build the frame and cardio needed to cope. SHEEEEESH.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:How old was Lever last year? Weitering this year... Or are we conceding that they are probably just better. Kosi impacted at 18, Roo at 19, Maguire 19, Huley, Trengrove, McDonald etc...

Birth certificates mean little if you're good enough. At this stage Hugh is not...

As I STATED
he has got plenty of time!!!!!!

Did that get missed.

But at this stage, he has plenty to learn... As does Paddy

Did I even mention they are NO good or NEVER will be

Sobraz???
Man you love a list... You list better than Gary Ayres..

You compare Goddard to a few pick 1 & 2's, then throw in names like McDonald and Hurley, I suppose to compare them now? Because if you don't remember, Hurley was quite a lost player for 4 years, a bit of a laughing stock to some degree, part of what was then a dud draft group including Watts and Vickery. Took ages to flourish. McDonald was also uncoordinated and a shocking kick. Trengove has stagnated after a very promising start.

The comparison with Boekhurst is the part I was questioning regarding an attempt at humor. You're comparing a 19 yo, near 200cm kpp kid to a 22 yo small/running flanker who's been playing against men for 3 years, and will have a career as fulfilled as Jordan Gysberts at best. All the Blues supporters I know would swap Boekhurst for HG today, let alone on draft night.

No one suggests he hasn't got plenty to learn, but as SMS suggested, go back and watch his games from last year. The birth certificate argument is ridiculous. We all know he's had an interrupted start to the season and preseason. The kid performs better at AFL level than VFL, as is often the case with young players who are up to the mark.

I'd like to ask a pretty straight forward question if you don't mind. Given the opportunity, would you swap HG for Boekhurst right now?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh... Panic stations... Someone dared question the ability of one of our draft picks... Omg

And I didn't really question his ability .... I think he has some

But is not the world beater everyone thinks (Weitering will clearly be though)
I stated he has a long way to go, he wasn't drafted top 20 due to deficiencies, he is not playing due to deficiencies. He needs to improve his contested work and his running capability before being considered.

I think everyone hardened up because of his size... Well Fergus Watts was the identical size. He is more athletics than Ferg, thank god... But not there yet, not even close.

Hugh Goddard, Paddy McCartin, Josh Bruce, Jake Carlisle are the 4 most important players on our list. If they come off... We'll make it back to the top for another tilt. They all have ? And all need to develop.

Hugh was very much overrated on here though. As was Dunstan and Acres.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Brendon Goddard vs Hugh Goddard at the same age ... midfielder/half back flanker vs key defender

BG HG
24 Games 8
7.2 Kicks Per Game 4.2
5.3 Handballs Per Game 7.6
12.6 Disposals Per Game 11.9
4.5 Marks Per Game 3.9
0.2 Goals Per Game 0.1
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0
2.0 Tackles Per Game 0.9
0.6 Hitouts Per Game 0.8
Last edited by samoht on Wed 20 Apr 2016 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seems like you have them pegged as well??

Dunstan elite...

Acres, who knows?...

They are both far from elite at this stage. Both also have major deficiencies

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: I stated he has a long way to go, he wasn't drafted top 20 due to deficiencies, he is not playing due to deficiencies. He needs to improve his contested work and his running capability before being considered.

Hugh was very much overrated on here though. As was Dunstan and Acres.
How can you possibly know what he needs to do to be considered? You speak as though you have inside knowledge on what he needs to do be considered......do yo have?

He played the last 8 games last year. Came into the side in round 16 and held his spot for every game thereafter.

Interrupted pre-season with de-hydration. One VFL game in which he was concussed.

Dunstan and Acres over-rated :( :( :( Sounds like you've got them pegged at a particular level already. Dunstan is just 21. Acres will be 21 after this season. Phew......talk about making early judgements.

Dunstan is on the road to being an elite inside mid. Acres has huge potential and is 20 years old with 12 games under his belt.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seems like you have them pegged as well??

Dunstan elite...

Acres, who knows?...

They are both far from elite at this stage. Both also have major deficiencies
Dunstan on the way to being elite. He's 21. Acres = huge potential. If you say he's over-rated then you must have pegged at a particular limit.

And you know what Goddard needs to do to be considered because ...........??????

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Improve his defensive positioning, and contested work. Get the balance of offence and defence right and be able to run at the intensity of of AFL fwds

Dunstan elite

There are 15-20 elite mids in the AFL
That's 1-2 per team
Is Dunstan going to be our best mid at some stage.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm just interested to learn where Hugh is up to with his health and his form.

I was pleased with his progress in the games he played last year, he held his place in thet team on merit, and I always figured he would get better with age and experience.

Then I learnt that he had a problem with de-hydration in a practice match, and lets be honest we havn't had much opportunity to see our "2nds" in action.

I'm just keen to understand where Hugh is up to. Is he training the house down or is he on sick leave, or somewhere in between.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Improve his defensive positioning, and contested work. Get the balance of offence and defence right and be able to run at the intensity of of AFL fwds

Dunstan elite

There are 15-20 elite mids in the AFL
That's 1-2 per team
Is Dunstan going to be our best mid at some stage.
I guess it depends on how broad is the definition of elite.

I think Dunstan has the potential to be a very very high quality midfield extractor. I watched the replay of the Collingwood game again and he was awesome in the third quarter. Hard tackling, tough, quick hands inside and good vision to clear the footy to our guys moving into space. He was an instrumental creator in several goals in that third quarter. At 21, I reckon he's on the way to being a really tough, inside clearance guy. Hope so.

Re Goddard, I haven't seen him live and you have, but I liked the way he played last year when he came into the team. He's a big unit and his body is probably still filling out and solidifying. I reckon he's got the goods though and will be a very good player as well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he fills out anymore, he won't be able to run outta sight on a dark night - he's 100 kegs

He (and Paddy) need to trim down, and get an AFL body.

Both are solid, but have no definition... A lot of 'useless' weight... That they have to lug around.

An AFL body in 2016 carries no fat (or little) and are shredded, almost gaunt in the face
Being strong and being big are two different things... Because you need to be able to balance strength, power and endurance.

Chris Judd was insanely strong... He was not at all bulky

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he fills out anymore, he won't be able to run outta sight on a dark night - he's 100 kegs

Both are solid, but have no definition... A lot of 'useless' weight... That they have to lug around.

An AFL body in 2016 carries no fat (or little) and are shredded, almost gaunt in the face
Being strong and being big are two different things... Because you need to be able to balance strength, power and endurance.

No one apart from you is implying that Goddard gain fat.

And yes other posters are stating that he (and McCartin) needs time to develop an AFL body (strength, tank, tone etc) and so you are just being mischevious to suggest that they are stating otherwise.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 20 Apr 2016 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:If he fills out anymore, he won't be able to run outta sight on a dark night - he's 100 kegs

No one apart from you is implying that Goddard gain fat.

And yes other posters are stating that he (and McCartin) needs time to develop an AFL body (strength, tank, tone etc) and so you are just be mischevious to suggest that they are stating otherwise.
Completely agree of course he has to develop, he's in his 2nd year.
Why is it insightful to state the obvious?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Besides a few exceptions - most tall key defenders (194cm+) dont really come good at AFL level until they are 23yo.
End of debate.

Halo amongst Cats

Hugh has been given a directive from the coaching panel to preform a lockdown role this year and he's learning his craft in the VfL at this stage

Saint trapped amongst Cats
Wombat15
Club Player

My inside source tells me its mainly due to the interrupted pre season and thats the same case for Rice and Mackenzie also. Goddard has apparently been training very well as of late and they want to bring him through the VFL first. sounds obvious but thats the info i was given.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Halo amongst Cats wrote:Hugh has been given a directive from the coaching panel to preform a lockdown role this year and he's learning his craft in the VfL at this stage
Source please?