Richo's private word to the Geary baggers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Richo's private word to the Geary baggers

I'm not necessarily a Geary knocker but at least two of his turnovers resulted in goals.
People who state how good he is for keeping small forwards quite need to realise how hard it is for small forwards. The phrase "starvation corner" was coined for a reason.
What I loved about Geary on the weekend was in the last quarter, Pavlich tackled him and Gears was hurt, we moved the ball forward because of his handball and we turned it over. The ball was kicked back to a Freo player who appeared in the clear and Geary sprinted in pure pain to make the spoil. From memory about 60m from Freo goal.
That's the stuff Geary is amazing at and why Richo would love him.
Richo would drive to every game saying to himself, "Gears will give 100% today".
That said he has no upside and like Fisher is keeping others out who have an upside.
As we are in a rebuilding phase people will want him out, same with Fisher.
For me, bottom line is Geary has a role to play to show others the effort that is required for this year and next year but turnover goals are unacceptable if you are challenging for a flag because the best teams will make you pay.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Wow Con by your reckoning if the selectors are on 80% that is approx 96 selections a season that are wrong. The problem with generalisations.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Wow Con by your reckoning if the selectors are on 80% that is approx 96 selections a season that are wrong. The problem with generalisations.
No way. Only 6% of controversial decisions.
Obviously most selections are not controversial. So I mean 6% of decisions where there is even any debate which is probably 10%. So probably the overall number is more like 0.6% if you think about it like that.

Geary is clearly bet 22 - tough as nails. I have only ever queried the 2018 contract. I dont think his current selection is even controversial.

So to re-phrase it:

Of the 10% controversial decisions - then coaches get 80% right v fan 30%.

I still think we all agree on most things.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake played 200 games and so will Gears.

Not every 200 game player is elite. But all are team first.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Geary is elite at every aspect of his game bar disposal which is shall we say a bit problematic at times.
Not true. His 20m sprint would be below average. He is bog slow in a sprint.
But can run all day......and yes he is also a bit short to ruck.

However I was referring to aspects of his game that he can control: hardness, workrate, ability to adhere to coaches gameplan, 1%ers, spoiling, leadership, teamplay, reading the ball and play etc which is why both Lyon and Richo loved him.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 30 May 2016 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Thank christ some of our supporters on here have nothing to do with team selection..you people know more than our coaching staff ? I doubt that very much...I hope Richo plays both Geary and Gilbo for the rest of the season and the knockers can keep on whingeing..
Noone is claiming they know more than the coaching staff. But that doesnt mean the coaching staff get it 100% right all the time either. If our coaching staff were omniscient we would have more than 1 flag in 120 years. Coaches can also 'fall in love' with players and make emotional decisions. They get a hell of a lot more right than a layman but that still doesnt equal 100%. Even if a fan gets 30% right and the professionals get 80% right there are still going to be the odd things where the fan gets one right and the pros get one wrong. It happens from time to time. 30% x 20% of the time = 6%.
Well I guess it's about having some faith in those who run the show..we can have our say , you're right but gee it's a lot easier on the ulcers if you have faith in their decision making process.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Geary is elite at every aspect of his game bar disposal which is shall we say a bit problematic at times.

However I was referring to aspects of his game that he can control: hardness, workrate, ability to adhere to coaches gameplan, 1%ers, spoiling, leadership, teamplay, reading the ball and play etc which is why both Lyon and Ross have loved him.
which is why I rate him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

In the Coaches' votes this week. 1 vote. You'd reckon given by Richo.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

However I was referring to aspects of his game that he can control: hardness, workrate, ability to adhere to coaches gameplan, 1%ers, spoiling, leadership, teamplay, reading the ball and play etc which is why both Lyon and Ross have loved him.

me, myself and I?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

me, myself and I?
Lyon and Richo

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't say Ross loved him.

He missed out on final/grand final sides together with Armo, Gwilt, Stanley. Ross played a self confessed stuffed Steven Baker in the grand final replay, broken toe and all, over Jarryn.

Geary wasn't such a bad kick early days, he broke his leg badly and I think wasn't quite the same afterwards.

He is actually better when he kicks low and sharp, its the floaters that tend to helicopter.

I gave up defending him on here, because I realised it doesn't matter if fans rate him or not.

I still think he will be the next captain. Tom Hickey said as much on the Sunday footy show. It's about how they inpsire their teammates after all, not so much the showy stuff.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:It's obvious Richo rates him. Who cares? I reckon he's crap.

And Fisher is keeping Lee / Goddard out of the team is he? So when Fish was injured we still played neither of them. Richo is speaking gibberish.

Drop Geary and bring in Webster.
I agree, Geary's persistent murdering of the ball by foot is damaging. Then there's his stupid habit of passing to a team mate less than 5 metres away by foot! Richo cannot be sending Acres & Lee back to the 2's after reasonably good form and not drop Geary when he has the shocker he did on the weekend and makes poor decisions, such as his sub 5 metre foot passes.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Wouldn't say Ross loved him.

He missed out on final/grand final sides together with Armo, Gwilt, Stanley. Ross played a self confessed stuffed Steven Baker in the grand final replay, broken toe and all, over Jarryn.

Geary wasn't such a bad kick early days, he broke his leg badly and I think wasn't quite the same afterwards.

He is actually better when he kicks low and sharp, its the floaters that tend to helicopter.

I gave up defending him on here, because I realised it doesn't matter if fans rate him or not.

I still think he will be the next captain. Tom Hickey said as much on the Sunday footy show. It's about how they inpsire their teammates after all, not so much the showy stuff.

I think for No 58 off the rookie list he got a decent run.

Attard was rookied in the same year, was 2 years older and had some games at the Lions. was good in the back pocket till he hada bady injury which oppened the doors to other. also rookied that year was Eddy more physically mature who initially was favoured over Gears. and then there was the very experienced Baker who CJ (also rookied with Gear, Attard and eddy - so whata rookie year that was for the Saints!) took over rrom as our on ball tagger squeezing Bakes back in the backline. So no mean feat for Geary to finally get past all that lot.

As you say he broke his leg and has had several other injury episodes which got in the way of more games.

2009 his last game was round 19.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 30 May 2016 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

Murdoch?

Didn't set the world on fire on Saturday being more solid than impacting, but as a defender of similar stature to Geary came from behind the player with the ball and roosted it 65 metres thru the centre.

Compare.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Some people are just ignorant brain dead fools.

Rioli
Garlett
Ballantyne

and all the other small forwards he shuts down.

Hardest job next week is to shut down Betts. Who else but him can do it?

Richo know more than halfwits on the internet who would crap themselves if faced with Geary in person.

We all know who I'm referring to on here.
+ 1 well said

The_Merchant
Club Player

To the top wrote:Murdoch?

Didn't set the world on fire on Saturday being more solid than impacting, but as a defender of similar stature to Geary came from behind the player with the ball and roosted it 65 metres thru the centre.

Compare.
J. Geary 0 goals, 2 goal assists
B. Murdoch 1 goal, 0 goal assists

Not remotely the same sort of player.

Geary's spoil after being crunched by pav was absolutely inspirational. It was brave, tough and is what "supporters" should be talking about after the game. Not crap about his perceived skill problems. The main turn over people are talking about was because he was under pressure and had absolutely nothing to kick to. His disposal is average at worst, people need to look at the entire situation.

One bloke in front of me kept whinging about geary's disposal, unfortunately for him half the time it was Roberton who had kicked the ball.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

However I was referring to aspects of his game that he can control: hardness, workrate, ability to adhere to coaches gameplan, 1%ers, spoiling, leadership, teamplay, reading the ball and play etc which is why both Lyon and Richo loved him.
Yep

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I've never been a big one for stats, but lately I've been getting a little obsessive about them - particularly when it comes to maligned players and how a clanger here and there colours our (and previously my) judgement

J.Geary - effective disposals - ranked 8 with a % of 78.3
Sam Fisher at 6th spot has a % of 78.6 (ahead of Joey at 78.5) with Sav ranking no. 1 at 86.3%

J.Geary - clangers - ranked 11 - 10 more well loved players doing a lot more dumb stuff than our Jarryn

http://www.saints.com.au/team/stats

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="The_Merchant"][quote="To the top"]Murdoch?

Compare.[/quote]

Geary's spoil after being crunched by pav was absolutely inspirational. It was brave, tough and is what "supporters" should be talking about after the game. Not crap about his perceived skill problems. The main turn over people are talking about was because he was under pressure and had absolutely nothing to kick to. His disposal is average at worst, people need to look at the entire situation.

One bloke in front of me kept whinging about geary's disposal, unfortunately for him half the time it was Roberton who had kicked the ball.[/quote]

Make it Geary 4 goal assists as he gave them 2

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Some people are just ignorant brain dead fools.

Rioli
Garlett
Ballantyne

and all the other small forwards he shuts down.

Hardest job next week is to shut down Betts. Who else but him can do it?

Richo know more than halfwits on the internet who would crap themselves if faced with Geary in person.

We all know who I'm referring to on here.
+ 1 well said
We get absoutley killed in the midfield and the stoppages. Freo only lead by 19 points but it must have been all Geary's fault.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:
To the top wrote:Murdoch?

Compare.

One bloke in front of me kept whinging about geary's disposal, unfortunately for him half the time it was Roberton who had kicked the ball.
It's called having a lack of spatial intelligence....some people have it and some don't.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_intelligence

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Polarising.

Is he the new Zac Dawson ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Polarising.

Is he the new Zac Dawson ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For whatever reason backs who miskick are considered more harshly that forwards who kick poorly.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because the penalty is greater