Should Nick be skipper next year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should Nick be skipper next year

Yes, until he retires
41%
Yes, he should break the captaincy record
12%
Yes, there is no other candidate
4%
Yes, but this time there should be a clear 2IC
15%
Yes, but he should co-captain with another
4%
No, he is no longer the best fit
1%
No, it's time to develop new leaders
14%
No, there is another clear candidate
1%
We should have a rotating captaincy
4%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 78

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Nick be skipper next year?

Bluthy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
At present everyone at the club, players and coaches alike, rate Nick as being head and shoulder's above every other candidate.

How do you know that? Its amazing the assumptions some supporters make.
Well you are assuming that I was assuming.

I did read Richo's thoughts on why he chose Nick to stay as the Captain in an in depth article on that exact topic, and I have also heard him speak on it both in the media and at a club in-house presentation.

Unfortunately from a quick google I can't locate that article.

However smaller references in a similar vein are below:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 61c5234cd5

Richardson said that Riewoldt, a six-time club best and fairest winner and five time All-Australian was the best man to lead the club.

“The simple fact is that Nick is an outstanding leader and Captain of our club and the coaches and players agree he is the best man for the job,” Richardson said.

“He continues to grow as a captain and still has a genuine hunger to lead — many people associated with the club believe 2015 was actually his best year in the role and I couldn’t argue with that.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-3 ... utstanding
When Riewoldt was appointed captain for an 11th season in February, some sections of the media criticised the club’s decision, suggesting St Kilda was wasting an opportunity to develop its next captain whilst still having access to a great on a daily basis.

Contrary to this notion, Richardson said it was an easy decision to make for the club given the entire football club, both from a Football department and administration perspective, firmly believed it was in the club’s best interest to see the No. 12 leading the way again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Contrary to this notion, Richardson said it was an easy decision to make for the club given the entire football club, both from a Football department and administration perspective, firmly believed it was in the club’s best interest to see the No. 12 leading the way again.
[/i]
The club should be thinking about life after Roo, but like I said in another thread; it makes economic sense in 2017 just like it did in 2016.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90965&p=1619378&hil ... c#p1619378

As long as the club takes steps to appoint his successor (with a Vice Captain/Captains) then there won't be a vacuum too big to fill. Hopefully Armitage and Steven can continue to be on field captains when Roo is injured or managed next year

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I think Nick Riewoldt will be any less of a leader will the (c) next to his name.

We saw guys like Hamil, Hayes, Roo, Ball blossom with the step up. I say move it around until some completely stamps their authority on the position
This!
I was totally opposed to the rotational policy under GT but soon grew to love it when I saw Hayes, Roo, Ball and Hamill become terrific leaders.
I dare say it would have benefited BJ had the system stayed in place.

And all the players mentioned stayed great leaders without being captain. And it certainly didn't have a negative effect on Robert Harvey when he was replaced as captain by Hamill.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Anyone who questions if Rooey should be our captain should question what type of supporter they are.
What a load of claptrap!

Roo was given a shot at being captain early on because the coach had the vision to develop leaders.
Your statement could have easily been made about Robert Harvey at the time.

Our focus now should be developing future leaders...just like it was in 2003.

Roo will still be a leader, mentor and great player - just not the person that calls the coin toss at away games.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

All I know is there's another Roo ( or Rooette ) on the way.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:All I know is there's another Roo ( or Rooette ) on the way.
Well, we have our CHF covered so a future full forward this time. :wink:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... d1fac05096

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Tall, athletic, midfield beast, to complement his gun forward brother.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think we should just cut to the chase and make Ray Connellan Skipper now.

Why waste time with this charade of 'making him earn it' and 'paying your dues'. Old school nonsense.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo...skipper

St Lenny
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Anyone who questions if Rooey should be our captain should question what type of supporter they are.

He's playing brilliant footy, always is a leader, and is the heart and soul of our club.

Why anyone would even think it's worthy of querying is beyond me
Shouldn't even be discussed. He deserves the record. He is a superstar and we are so lucky he is ours.

Show the guy the respect he deserves, no one will do the job as well as him at the moment.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

It may be for the Saints women's team though!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Gilbo...skipper
Captain-Coach?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:

He's playing brilliant footy, always is a leader, and is the heart and soul of our club.

Why anyone would even think it's worthy of querying is beyond me
Shouldn't even be discussed. He deserves the record. He is a superstar and we are so lucky he is ours.

Show the guy the respect he deserves, no one will do the job as well as him at the moment.
So you're saying there should be no discussion about who is the best captain of this esteemed football club in the forthcoming year. Just throw it on a whim to Nic because he's done it before well? I'm sure he love that no thought was put into it and we didn't consider all options and what is best for the club and what is best for him. He would find that incredibly disrespectful. Nic always puts the club ahead of himself. I'm sure he wants to take the captaincy once an exhaustive appraisal has been done of all candidates and it lands on him being the best for the club. I have to question what sort of supporter you are to show such disrespect.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Whilst captaincy is an honour and a good leader is required for sheep to follow.

It is one of the most overrated positions in football... Besides leading the team out, tossing the coin and giving a little motivational pep talk which counts for almost zero after the bounce... You basically just do what you'd do if you weren't skipper... Try to get a kick.

If you play better because you captain, that's odd... Why wouldn't you play at that level if you weren't?
If others have to or need to follow your lead, they have got some issues with mental toughness

Lenny Hayes wasn't captain for nearly all of his career... Did it hurt his ability to lead and inspire... Not a bit

Sam Mitchell gave up the C and it made zero difference

Like the coach in cricket, the captain in footy has little effect game day

Btw
Nick R
Luke B
Were young champions when made captain early days, both AA and B&Fs the year before
Both had poor years, through injury and form and the captaincy became a burden.

I think it's almost a token honorary title that should go to the most deserved.

Rob Harvey should have captained until about 05
Lenny should have skippered until about 2010
And Roo since

It's almost time for Jack and Armo

But so close to the record now, why bother changing... A year won't make a bit of difference

citywest

I believe that for the development of our side he should retire. So should Fisher and Dempster. The quicker this happens the quicker our team will adapt and move forward and into the top 8.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I believe that for the development of our side he should retire. So should Fisher and Dempster. The quicker this happens the quicker our team will adapt and move forward and into the top 8.
You think Rooey should retire, regardless of the form he has continued to show? Dempster most likely has another two years left. Fisher could too, providing he has more luck with injuries. What you're suggesting seems to show a lack of regard and knowledge of the importance for experienced and veteran players who play an extremely crucial role in the team.

Nothing you ever post makes any sense. Perhaps it's time to gave it a rest?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
citywest

It's just my opinion. I reckon a lot of people would agree with me.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think it would be disrespectful to strip him of the captaincy before the season in which he would break the record, particularly given the fact that there is no obvious replacement right now. The only candidates to replace him would be Geary (may not be best 22 in 2017), Armitage (only put together one elite season) and Steven (quiet achiever rather than inspirational leader). Some might nominate Newnes but right now he's a kid who is steadily improving his own game and shouldn't be given the burden of leading the team.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Yes.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think it would be disrespectful to strip him of the captaincy before the season in which he would break the record, particularly given the fact that there is no obvious replacement right now. The only candidates to replace him would be Geary (may not be best 22 in 2017), Armitage (only put together one elite season) and Steven (quiet achiever rather than inspirational leader). Some might nominate Newnes but right now he's a kid who is steadily improving his own game and shouldn't be given the burden of leading the team.
It's obvious that Paddy, Bruce and Membrey can be a very powerful and potent tall forward combination. It's obvious that the coach wants Roo out of that forward line so the trio can work together and grow for the good of the team. It's obvious that Roo is not a midfielder, but he's a champ and he is finding ways to fit into the Richo plan.
What is not obvious is whther that is holding back the midfield as a group and whether we'd be better off with an extra guy in the midfield like Templeton or Murdoch or Sinclair instead of Roo.

What is also obvious is that adulation of an individual by some fans is greater than the desire for planning for the future of team success. How will this record help St Kilda football club acheive team success? That's what the conversation should be about. I think it is not obvious to outsiders who may step up, but I think we have at least 3 or 4 worthy candidates and I'm sure the players and coaches know who is capable.

There is also an element of fear of change and an element of conservatism. It's about time we look at what is best for the team to transition towards a new era. I think it's an important symbolic decision as was the move of Roo up the ground to allow our new forward line to develop. The next step should be that he relinquishes the captaincy. I hope that peoples judgement isn't clouded by their admiration of a great champion.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 24 Jun 2016 1:39am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

DDo you have to be an elite player to be captainLing, Harley, Maxwell, Kirk, Worsfold, Thompson, O'Donnell, Stevens, Simpson, Newman....

I think you need to be an elite leader