Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

BigMart wrote:12 possessions... and played in the centre square. That just doesn't cut it... and don't give me this - he does a lot of bullocking crap... Cunnington bullocks and wins clearances.

The North inside mids flogged him and Armo to the point of embarrassment.

With Jack being tagged, he did not step up and get 25...

If he doesnt get dropped next week... somethings amiss

Cunnington is 25 and has played 140 games. Fully mature and developed body.
Luke is 21 and has played 50 games.

But don't let that get in the way of bagging him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote:What was BM posting about Seb Ross two years ago when he was the same age as LD? I'm guessing the same ill conceived rubbish as the above.
So Dunstan is supposedly slow, doesn't have the ability to spread and doesn't get enough possessions.

Wednesday 17 April 2013 - BigMart posted :
"Seb is very big bodied for 19...............
Is a bit of a tractor, plugs away at a fairly slow pace. Is a tough kid.
His ability to spread offensively or close down defensively would worry"

Seb Ross average possessions per game :
2013 - 15.1
2014 - 15.8 (3rd year)
2015 - 18.2 (4th year)
2016 - 25.9.

Luke Dunstan average possessions per game :
2014 - 18.7
2015 - 17.0
2016 - 17.7

saint-stu
Club Player

I like what I see with Dunstan. He looks like a slow burn developing player, a bit like Seb, Newnes and Armo. He is getting a bit better each year. I reckon he will be a good player once he matures. I don't get the criticism of his disposal either. His disposal is decent with the occasional clanger, not even close to some others (gilbo, geary, wright, acres).

1ac46a38
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

are you confusing speed with running ability

Seb is far from quick over the ground

Saint_J
Club Player

personally i am very happy with D game last night and over the last few weeks.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dunny definitely needs to evolve his game - 12 possies as an out and out onballer is disappointing. At the moment Richo obviously loves his inside work which is his strength. But he's going to find the pressure for his spot starts rising. Acres is showing he can be a monster inside and is developing a good tank. Despite his size Gresh looks like he could be a force inside. Ross needs to develop his inside game. Freeman is still an outside chance but if he makes it looks a potential class starting mid. We might land a big bodied FA soon or draft a inside/outside mid superstar this draft. All that will put huge pressure on Dunny if he's not being really effective around the ground. There are only handful of starting midfield spots and I'm not sure Dunny could play that small forward/rotating mid role.

I found it funny that Richo has played Dunny flat out in the ones for 3 years. Going back to the ressies lets young players take some pressure off and try different things against slightly slower, slightly less big men. Dunny has been thrown to the wolves a bit. Same as what Richo is doing with Gresh who looked really flat last night. And then there are others like Eli that Richo then seems determined not to play at all. It's a weird all-or-nothing approach. I think Richo gets a bit fixated on certain players.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Minchington was very good as a small forward last night

Montagna poor
Gilbert poor
Savage poor
Dunstan poor

A few were very average
Armitage
Newnes
Steven (compared to usual but was tagged)

All the jacks

He try's his best every week and that is what we need. He goes in and under and gets the ball out his speed will come in time

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Can't argue with stats, because they say nothing.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think no one cares except you.

Stats are useless

Only the coaches use them?... Just today Aaron Hamill was running through them at 3qtr time at Sandy.
The board held up at the breaks was just stats
Analysis is all about relevant stats which give evidence to determine performance.

What is worthless is subjective opinions of fans who have had no connection to the game except shouting ball in the outer and bagging/blaming umpires

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
What is worthless is subjective opinions of fans who have had no connection to the game except shouting ball in the outer and bagging/blaming umpires
.../quoting stats...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I do strike a nerve don't I ....

Perhaps I just write what everyone wants to hear and believe.

Okay. How's this...
Dunstans 12 possession game as an inside mid against North was good enough for a vote. His first quarter where he had 5 possessions (2 effective) and 3 free kicks against was stepped up in the second half with 7 possessions
We lost comprehensively at stoppage which decided the game.
We lost the possession count by a margin and didn't WIN enough of the ball through the middle.

BringBackMadDogMuir

Dunstan was given Lenny's number for good reason. Do you really think Lenny would give his number to a flog? Lenny was all class and all character. Lenny endorsed Dunstan, but no, people on this forum must know better. God, some people on this forum are so quick to write a player off. I don't seem to remember Lenny ever setting any land speed records, yet he almost willed us to a Grand Final win! So get real, people!

Dunstan was the U18 SA Captain. A born leader. Tick. He was apparently the strongest son-of-a-bitch our club has ever drafted at his age. Tick. He is loyal, loves the saints and plays his part for the team (just like Hawthorn players do, where the team is more than the sum of its parts). Tick. He plays four quarter footy which is amazing for such a young bloke. Tick. He'll bust a gut to improve. Tick. And if he took my daughter out for a date, I'd know she'd be in safe trustworthy hands. Tick.

He's our next Lenny Hayes people. We need to believe in him, cause he'll fed off our good vibrations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps. Big Mart, your negativity is a cancer. Time for your Chemo!

<warning issued for insulting and commenting on the poster and not the post>

MODERATION POLICY - PLAYING THE BALL (OPINION) AND NOT THE PLAYER (POSTER)

At no point can any post be directed negatively towards another poster in terms of abuse or threats.

Vigorous debate and friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged, as long as there is respect for each other’s opinions. No matter how much you disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your eyes, your response must be respectful. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. Do NOT make commentary about the poster - ONLY the post. If you tease, mock or bait another poster, or abuse them, OR repeatedly revisit past disagreements causing or creating an ongoing dispute between one or more posters, this is regarded as a breach of rules in the Fan Forum and will result in the issuing of a Saintsational warning. Such ongoing disputes can result in multiple breaches and can result in multiple Saintsational warnings.

We strongly advise that ongoing disputes be voluntarily taken to the ANIMAL ENCLOSURE forum.

There will be zero tolerance for teasing, mocking, baiting, belittling, badgering, bullying or any insulting, abusive, sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic, religiously or culturally offensive, or threatening behaviour in the forum or private messages. Such behaviour constitutes a breach of rules and a Saintsational warning will be issued.

All the jacks

Good post Mad Dog, I agree with you on this

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
BigMart wrote:
There's a difference between
Popular opinion
And
Correct opinion
Yes, there is no such thing as correct opinion.
And IMHO here is the exact cause of the angst from so many with BigMart's posts.
He obviously believes he actually knows what is going on when nearly everybody else (including me and I'm sure I'm one of his 'couple of others') thinks he's just another delusional fan with an overinflated opinion of his own football knowledge.
Whilst I don't miss P66's AFL defence posts, I must say he used to keep BigMart 'honest' by taking him to task often. Nobody since seems to have taken up that particular task since his demise and so BigMart has become more prevalent with his 'lecturing' posting style.
I must say I tend to avoid most of his posts because I'm not prepared to relive my school days and be 'scolded by the teacher' which is what many of his posts appear to be to me.
Though I do wonder if he's offered himself to the Club given that he possesses the 'correct opinion' on everything football? :roll:

Johnny Favier
Club Player

BringBackMadDogMuir wrote:Dunstan was given Lenny's number for good reason. Do you really think Lenny would give his number to a flog? Lenny was all class and all character. Lenny endorsed Dunstan, but no, people on this forum must know better. God, some people on this forum are so quick to write a player off. I don't seem to remember Lenny ever setting any land speed records, yet he almost willed us to a Grand Final win! So get real, people!

Dunstan was the U18 SA Captain. A born leader. Tick. He was apparently the strongest son-of-a-bitch our club has ever drafted at his age. Tick. He is loyal, loves the saints and plays his part for the team (just like Hawthorn players do, where the team is more than the sum of its parts). Tick. He plays four quarter footy which is amazing for such a young bloke. Tick. He'll bust a gut to improve. Tick. And if he took my daughter out for a date, I'd know she'd be in safe trustworthy hands. Tick.

He's our next Lenny Hayes people. We need to believe in him, cause he'll fed off our good vibrations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps. Big Mart, your negativity is a cancer. Time for your Chemo!
I agree with all of the above.

Some of the posts on this thread are way too harsh on a young bloke who to me, appears to have been a quiet achiever and has improved a lot more than people give him credit for this year.

I prefer to give our young blokes some support instead of constantly running them down every time we have a loss.
It's pathetic form from some of our so-called "supporters."

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Magnificent post Mad Dog. +1000

Always loyal
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Magnificent post Mad Dog. +1000
Yep. Agree with all of it. Great effort for a second post.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote: Some of the posts on this thread are way too harsh on a young bloke who to me, appears to have been a quiet achiever and has improved a lot more than people give him credit for this year.

I prefer to give our young blokes some support instead of constantly running them down every time we have a loss.
It's pathetic form from some of our so-called "supporters."
Agree with all of this as well.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Getting back to Luke
Quality bloke
Respected by the players
Does what the coaches ask
Enormous amount of blocking etc in clearance work for the outside runners
One more pre season and he'll be cherry ripe
And as MD said, you don't get no.7 lightly.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Dunstan

tony74 wrote:Getting back to Luke
Quality bloke
Respected by the players
Does what the coaches ask
Enormous amount of blocking etc in clearance work for the outside runners
One more pre season and he'll be cherry ripe
And as MD said, you don't get no.7 lightly.
Thanks Tony. We seem to have lost the wood for all of the trees.

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tony

I agree

Another pre season, he MIGHT be ready to go... Certainly hope so because the midfield needs more.

At the moment he is being well beaten as an inside mid... Just hasn't got the running ability to keep up. And with his limited output, his disposal doesn't hurt enough.

Those trying to claim he's performing well, are the same who stated he had second year blues last season... But his output is almost the same and he's fully fit this year and a year older? But last year that was 'popular opinion'

I'm not shooting bambi here

I'm questioning his current output as a midfielder... I've interested to know why he is so protected.

Is Eli or Minch fair game?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
PS
opinions cannot be correct?

Ok... I'll bite
In my opinion Hawthorn have been the best team of this decade
Another
In my opinion Gary Ablett was the best player in 2009
Another
In my opinion Matthew Richardson was a great player
All popular opinions IMHO. Are you now saying popular opinions and "correct opinions" are the same thing?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

Ask Freo fans who they rate higher Pavlich vs Riewoldt
The popular opinion
Pavlich

Ask non biased supporters of those not in purple glasses
Most will say Riewoldt

To find the answer
Guess what... We go to the evidence

As soon as there is a bias, popular opinion is just that ... Popular

Donald and Republican Party have some popular opinions in the US within their party
Correct?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I am havent been an avid fan of Dunstan, but I do see his leadership qualities around the ground. Actually one of his ex SA team mates - Trent Dumont who has been a slow burn had a really good game Saturday night. He showed the run and spread that Dunstan needs to find to improve.

Interestingly they were rated about equal in that draft year but Im sure Trout went with Luke because of his leadership and character. Will be intersting to see how their respective careers progress - but if you had a choice after Saturday night I would take Dumont.