Some players are retaining spots....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some players are retaining spots....

Membrey's mental fragility doesn't help Bruce.

The amount of fumbles and missed goals from him when they really matter is a major problem.

He needs to perform when the heat is on and draw attention to himself.

Currently, all the attention goes to Bruce.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:That mark taken off Bruce was a clean mark - it was right in front of us and there were no hands in the back.

Compare with Roo, in the same vicinity being shoved out of a contest with the ball some considerable distance away.

Our defence held up well relying on Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton as the "talls".

They only got found out on the few occasions a NM tall got an unimpeded run and jump at the contest.

When it was body on body our guys held their own (except when the AFL paid employees intervened)
If he was given that mark and the htb that was 1000% there and converted both we would be praising him for keeping us in the game. I think some are too fixated on individual stats to rate performance.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

General comment: I haven't read all the posts on this highly reactive thread but it appears after one defeat, in what was really our mini-final, our "supporters" are queuing up to unload some of our players. These players, many not deemed worthy enough at the start of the season to take us forward, now aren't up to the task of taking us forward! Even though we are now more "forward" of where we were expected to be at the start of the year?

Time for me to go clean out the roof gutters; far more useful than digesting this tripe. :roll:

Saint supporter since '62
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:General comment: I haven't read all the posts on this highly reactive thread but it appears after one defeat, in what was really our mini-final, our "supporters" are queuing up to unload some of our players. These players, many not deemed worthy enough at the start of the season to take us forward, now aren't up to the task of taking us forward! Even though we are now more "forward" of where we were expected to be at the start of the year?

Time for me to go clean out the roof gutters; far more useful than digesting this tripe. :roll:
It's naive to think we have a list capable of being a flag threat.

We have plenty of guys who were in the team over the past 2-3 years that have already been squeezed out. Saunders, Lonie and that shaggy looking bloke on the half back line are just three examples.

It's how you improve.

You replace players with better ones.

If you think our list won't change again from last night you're mad. If you think each player that played last night will be good enough to form part of a premiership team you're even madder.

Our list currently, is probably playing to its potential. There'll be some more improvement naturally as the Billings', Gresham's and McCartin's of the world get fitter, stronger and more experienced - but we'll still need to replace some players with better ones in order to compete seriously with top 4 teams.

It's common logic really. Hardly knee jerk.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Membrey's mental fragility doesn't help Bruce.

The amount of fumbles and missed goals from him when they really matter is a major problem.

You're kidding, I hope?
Membrey's "mental fragility" in terms of goalkicking is a significant upgrade on anything Riewoldt has produced.
Last night aside there is no one in the current side I would have kicking for a flag for us.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

whiskers3614 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Membrey's mental fragility doesn't help Bruce.

You're kidding, I hope?
Membrey's "mental fragility" in terms of goalkicking is a significant upgrade on anything Riewoldt has produced.
Last night aside there is no one in the current side I would have kicking for a flag for us.
I'm with you in principle, however Roo's yips may not be "mental" but more to do with the amount of fluid on his knee causing great duress, hampering his kicking.
It can't be easy with the pain he is under.
But Skunk, I agree, is a laser-accurate shot and can turn it on (usually)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:General comment: I haven't read all the posts on this highly reactive thread but it appears after one defeat, in what was really our mini-final, our "supporters" are queuing up to unload some of our players. These players, many not deemed worthy enough at the start of the season to take us forward, now aren't up to the task of taking us forward! Even though we are now more "forward" of where we were expected to be at the start of the year?

We have plenty of guys who were in the team over the past 2-3 years that have already been squeezed out. Saunders, Lonie and that shaggy looking bloke on the half back line are just three examples.

It's how you improve.

If you think our list won't change again from last night you're mad. If you think each player that played last night will be good enough to form part of a premiership team you're even madder.

Our list currently, is probably playing to its potential. There'll be some more improvement naturally as the Billings', Gresham's and McCartin's of the world get fitter, stronger and more experienced - but we'll still need to replace some players with better ones in order to compete seriously with top 4 teams.

Your right, it's not knee jerk. I reckon your jerkin' something else though!

Saint supporter since '62
The Recruit
Club Player

Disagree with Bruce comments. I thought he looked dangerous tonight. Much better than previous weeks and he was playing on a very good defender. I have to also say Geary and Gilbert have been stellar and very very good again last night. I haven't been there biggest fans but credit where credit is due they have been very good. Geary especially. Good on him

Guys that didn't get it done
Dunstan (love the way he playes but fumbled last night)
Savage (might be dropped for Webster)
Membry (has to kick goals love him though)
Armitage
Mckenzie (still young looked good and aggressive)
Wright (struggled last night but his speed is essential to our team defence)

I liked the way Minchington kicked the footy when he got it.....he is not a forward though pure midfielder IMO

We need lonie or Sinclair in that forward line.

Jack Billings was disappointing also. He should have nailed a few of those sets hits last night when we needed a fit. Not doubt he will as he develops but is void of confidence at the moment.

I have a man crush on Greesham so anything he does is exceptional. :)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

It's how you improve.

Your right, it's not knee jerk. I reckon your jerkin' something else though!
Do you think our current list is good enough to take us to a flag?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is a top competitor, but his marking is right off this season, and doesn't see to be reading the ball in flight as well as last season and definitely taking less risks. We really need more goals from our forwards big and small - Membrey is doing his bit, but it gets a bit thin after that unless Roo chips in occasionally, and we need to find a few more goals next season on average firstly from the forwards, and secondly from the midfield as a unit. AR's homework for the summer.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think that modern forwards are so drilled to 'bring the ball to the front of the contest' that they don't actually mark as their first option? And that their technique is more of flat handed contact with the ball rather than an opened fingered contact?

Obviously the former gives you less chance of marking, but gives greater chance of the ball of landing 'front and centre', whereas the latter gives you a far better chance at marking, but if you don't there's more chance of it slipping through and coming out the back of the pack.

Recently Bruce (and others in the comp too) seems to attack marking contests a bit flat handed rather than the fingers spread widely.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Heaven forbid fans amicably discussing the form of players in the side… don't know why you bother.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Does Paddy come back this week?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

agree bruce has been somewhat out of form but i actually think Sat was one of his better performances in some time!!

all that happened was he was robbed!

Pay him the mark and pay him the holding the ball and he has 4 goals to his name. Not only that but his marking and general influence around the ball were far superior to previous weeks. Reckon he might put on a show against the blues

#1 Ryder fan