How Should We Feel About The Dogs????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: How Should We Feel About The Dogs????

a_vandelay66 wrote:
8 out of the last 9 premiers have been victorian. so again, i'm not sure what "proving" that a victorian team can win has to do with it. of course a vic team can win it, as long as you take your chances, which our club sadly hasn't. if the dogs get one chance and take it straight away, it will be a very hard pill to swallow.
Yes, but.. let's not compare what the Victorian sides achieved last few years (and fairly may I add) with what lies ahead for them.
During the last few years --- the draft concessions have been heading north to the fledgling GWS at a monotonous rate ... and Sydney has still been getting their academy picks. GWS, despite their strong showing and meteoric rise -- will be getting plenty of concessions next year too.
They are set to dominate... and the AFL is doing everything for them to achieve the next 3 or 4 premierships in a row. The AFL is after 2 strong Sydney teams.

Let's not compare a fairly won premiership with one that's been largely manufactured.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Sep 2016 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

a_vandelay66

samoht wrote:
a_vandelay66 wrote:
8 out of the last 9 premiers have been victorian. so again, i'm not sure what "proving" that a victorian team can win has to do with it. of course a vic team can win it, as long as you take your chances, which our club sadly hasn't. if the dogs get one chance and take it straight away, it will be a very hard pill to swallow.
Yes, but.. let's not compare what the Victorian sides achieved last few years (and fairly may I add) with what lies ahead for them.
During the last few years --- the draft concessions have been heading north to the fledgling GWS at a monotonous rate ... and Sydney has still been getting their academy picks. GWS, despite their strong showing and meteoric rise -- will be getting plenty of concessions next year too.
They are set to dominate... and the AFL is doing everything for them to achieve the next 3 or 4 premierships in a row.

Let's not compare a fairly won premiership with one that's been largely manufactured.
well that's fair enough, but going by that logic the dogs could win it in 2016, and then the Giants (who will only get stronger) could go on and win the next 4 anyway, no matter how "inspiring" the dogs win this year is.

and there'd be no victorian fans to put up with gloating about recent success during all that time except for dogs fans.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

a_vandelay66 wrote: well that's fair enough, but going by that logic the dogs could win it in 2016, and then the Giants (who will only get stronger) could go on and win the next 4 anyway, no matter how "inspiring" the dogs win this year is.

and there'd be no victorian fans to put up with gloating about recent success during all that time except for dogs fans.
Odds are, the 2 Sydney teams will probably have a mortgage on the gloating - maybe starting this year.
Anyway, there's more to gloat about when you gloat about something you've achieved fairly and unassisted.

Hopefully we'll discover another Pelchen, a clever operator or 2, that can push the stacked odds back in our favour.

barwon saint
Club Player

Happy to see the Dogs win against Sydney ! they have the academy advantages and will probably get McGrath who plays for Sandy Dragons in VIC and will most likely go fisrt pick in the draft

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen

So clever he got the arse

My clever plan... Sell off some A Graders for some DPs

Genius

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Are Bulldogs fans really that bad as some are making them out to be? I've never had trouble from them. They generally seem to be a pretty humble and stoic lot of supporters.

Not torn in the least about wanting the Dogs to win a rare premiership on Saturday.
I have no issues with Dogs fans. Nice bunch. My issue is us being the kicking board even more than we are now.

On the positive side, if Footscray do win on Saturday, it should provide us with massive motivation to square the ledger very quickly!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, thought they were so gracious in Roo's 300th

Calling him a loser and a cheat constantly (unfortunately I was near their cheer squad, had to move when I nearly got in a dust up)

When they were flogging us, even though Roo took 14 marks and dominated. Not one ounce of respect, belittling him and Jack Billings (for being the Villian in the 'comeback game') and laughing at him compared to Bont.
One d**khead said Reiwoldt couldn't hold a candle to Stringer)
So you sit near their cheer squad and don't expect to hear those types of antics?

It's no worse than what all the other opposition supporters dish out. Granted, it's not easy to put up with, that is why I generally prefer to be surrounded by fellow Saints supporters whilst watching matches.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
a_vandelay66

Sainternist wrote:

Calling him a loser and a cheat constantly (unfortunately I was near their cheer squad, had to move when I nearly got in a dust up)

When they were flogging us, even though Roo took 14 marks and dominated. Not one ounce of respect, belittling him and Jack Billings (for being the Villian in the 'comeback game') and laughing at him compared to Bont.
So you sit near their cheer squad and don't expect to hear those types of antics?

It's no worse than what all the other opposition supporters dish out. Granted, it's not easy to put up with, that is why I generally prefer to be surrounded by fellow Saints supporters whilst watching matches.
I'd say you can expect that kind of contempt from ALL dogs fans if they win on Saturday. Life will be a lot easier for us if they don't!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:History says that they'll get smashed.
I still haven't forgiven the team for the way the 1997 Brownlow was handled by their players and the booing from their section on the night. Poor losers...always have been.
And yet their whole cheer squad were down at Moorabbin shaking cans for the SOS campaign
Cheer squads are not a true representation of the players nor the rank and file supporters.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to the Dogs. I hope the club wins on Saturday. Don't care about their supporters or any other.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
barneyboyz
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:

I was at the prelim when we beat the doggies. The only trouble was caused by our supporters giving it to them on the way out!

Also, I reckon over the next 5 - 10 years we, and the doggies are going to be a great cause for disappointment for said northerners, being that maybe Hawks and pussies might not be thereabouts we're going to be that Victorian wedge, in their dominance. I would love nothing more than GWS becoming another Freo...they are not guaranteed to win anything and might I add, haven't done so

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Saint_J
Club Player

"F" them hope they cop a 60+ point thrashing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I still recall the 09 Prelim final after the siren. The Saints theme song was playing and I had been standing with a mate and was making my way through the terraces to meet my family. I stopped for some reason and was watching the scoreboard as the team celebrated and it dawned on me that finally a team I support was going to play in a GF. I admit to suddenly feeling emotional and started wiping the tears away. I became aware of a bloke about the same age as me standing about 6 feet away. A bulldogs supporter. He too was staring at the scoreboard with tears in his eyes just shaking his head. It was impossible not to feel so sorry for him as it could so easily have been me standing there with different emotions the game was that tight. It was also a feeling that the Doggies will never get their chance or take their chance. As he moved past me I put a hand on his shoulder and he muttered 'good luck next week mate.'

Sure there are probably wanker doggies fans out there - I have no doubt. But if we can identify with any club and any group of supporters it should be the Dogs. I will be barracking hard for the Dogs this week from my seat at the G as I reckon most ppl who love an underdog will be also.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Moods wrote:
Sure there are probably wanker doggies fans out there - I have no doubt. But if we can identify with any club and any group of supporters it should be the Dogs. I will be barracking hard for the Dogs this week from my seat at the G as I reckon most ppl who love an underdog will be also.
yep any Saints supporter that cant feel an afinity with the Dogs this year, has been wallowing in the sentiment that we are unsuccessful but they are "marginally" more unsuccessful - heaven forbid they win
weird
Its not as if they put us out of the finals like we did to them in the past
Go Dogs

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You can pity them if you want?!

They don't pity us, not for one second!!

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Good for Victoria if the Dogs win.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
saintbob
SS Life Member

I'd be absolutely rapt for the Dpggies!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BigMart wrote:You can pity them if you want?!

My youngest son was a Sainter until the age of 8; we'd had a bad year that year and he cried after every loss. His words "They've broken my heart too often" still haunt me as he vowed to follow the Doggies; he admired their playing style and just had a feel for them. Has followed them ever since.
I refused to talk him out of it; I don't think god-bothering rabid Christians should force their kids to follow their beliefs either.
I was proud of him that he could decide for himself who to follow without being brain-washed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Go Dogs

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Playon
Club Player

IanRush wrote:Good for Victoria if the Dogs win.
Good for South Melbourne if the Swans win.
For sale For sale doggie pinatas, think I'm going to pewk if if I hear any more poor old doggies stories

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You can pity them if you want?!

Bigmart, you speak with such surety as to how ALL doggies supporters feel about our club? How do you know these things? I wasn't aware that members took a vote on such matters. How did you become the spokesman for the Dogs and their members? Have you managed to camouflage yourself and sneak into secret Dogs meetings? They have 40k members and probably 200k supporters but you seem to know how, as a group, how they feel about the Saints.

I must admit to some confusion, I mean my older brother follows the Dogs, and several close mates do as well. When I mentioned this rivalry almost bitterness between our clubs they look at me quite confused. 'Why would we hate the Saints?' They say it in the same way as I say about the Dogs. Sadly, like them, we're quite harmless in the greater spectrum of the AFL. They were almost proud when I told them about this forum - at least someone hates us, they were obviously thinking.

I have canvassed other knowledgable footy mates who think your assertions are hilarious and take it as a Saints supporter trying to make our club appear more important than we deserve. Bottom line is, me talking to a few mates is about as credible as you overhearing a few bulldog fans at the footy and deciding that on mass this is how they feel about our club. Hate the doggies if you please, but don't presume you are informing us of a fact, ie dogs supporters hate us, because I reckon you sound foolish

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I've read Bigfooty enough, gone to enough dogs games, have dogs supporter mates and listen to to a bit of radio

The rubbish I hear at dogs games (particularly wrt Riewoldt) is pathetic.

Only one thing worse than a Dogs fan playing the victim. A smug dogs fan.

There is only one club who hates us more...
See if you can guess who??

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Never witnessed any untoward issues btw Dogs and us.
All teams including us have d**khead fans...I mean I was ashamed to hear our supporters booing Adam Goodes at the height of the controversy.
Carlton fans have always had a special place in my list of loathing...followed by Essendon and Pies fans who have always held us in contempt....Dogs I always considered ok.
Guess it comes down to individual experiences.

Nee!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I want Footscray to win. Be a cracker of a story if they did. Go the Doggies!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
citywest

St Chris wrote:As a Saints fan, I generally feel a little bit better about myself when reminded of Footscray's lack of Grand Final appearances and lack of flag success. So I really don't want them to snatch one before we do. Our current run without a flag is 1126 games, while the Dogs are up to 1344.

But if they won, it would also show us "minnow" supporters that you can beat the AFL machine, that academy picks and handouts can only get you so far, and all of that can be overcome by the underdog (pardon the pun). It also provides an update on Hawthorn's "How to win a flag by building from the bottom" blueprint, and shows that St Kilda are probably on the right path, as we've generally been following the Dogs build, albeit a couple of years behind.

So I'm genuinely torn here.
Pissed off if they win. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: