Moral Victory - Proud of the boys tonight - Respect!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

Re: Moral Victory - Proud of the boys tonight - Respect!

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 10:49am
iwantmeseats wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 9:41am Lol so it’s come to this?
We’re going down the well done “proud of you boys good effort” route? After being 1-10? And playing some of the worst football seen in recent times ???

Yeah,ok then.
No - No-one is happy we lost!

But were you happier at the end of the third or the fourth considering that it was against the top team in the competition on their dung heap?

2010 is the last time we won in the west

If we bring that effort against any other team we win!

And I don't care that we had a lull in the 3rd - no team is 100% on 100% of the game

There was a lot to like about last night!

Sorry to debate this...but I was at Domain Stadium last year in July when we beat Fremantle...which is as team in the West lol

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:05pm
KingSaint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 11:20am
We’re going down the well done “proud of you boys good effort” route? After being 1-10? And playing some of the worst football seen in recent times ???

Yeah,ok then.
Well...if you would prefer to wallow in your own negativity...you are free to do so. Nothing wrong in saying well done boys...good effort.
Gee, the reigning premiers went ever so well at Perth Stadium just two weeks ago. No harm in being realistic about the result, (and the season overall) iwantmeseats. But by the same token it’s also perfectly fine to pay tribute to the team when they put in the sort of effort that they did last night. KingSaint
Agreed, I see both sides.

I'm certainly proud of the effort, but I just don't think we should start calling honourable losses "moral" victories. It's what we've been doing since 2012 and yet we're still sitting 16th on the ladder.

Don't get me wrong, we should be proud of the boys, but we were 48 points down at 3 qtr time, so the game was already over. But still, great effort for them to dig deep, not go back into their shell and actually give the Eagles a tiny scare in the last 5 minutes.

I'm just reluctant to rest my laurels on "moral" victories. I don't think next season can be built off the back of honourable losses, but games that we do win.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:29pm

Yeah,ok then.
Well...if you would prefer to wallow in your own negativity...you are free to do so. Nothing wrong in saying well done boys...good effort.
Gee, the reigning premiers went ever so well at Perth Stadium just two weeks ago. No harm in being realistic about the result, (and the season overall) iwantmeseats. But by the same token it’s also perfectly fine to pay tribute to the team when they put in the sort of effort that they did last night. KingSaint

I'm certainly proud of the effort, but I just don't think we should start calling honourable losses "moral" victories. It's what we've been doing since 2012 and yet we're still sitting 16th on the ladder.

Don't get me wrong, we should be proud of the boys, but we were 48 points down at 3 qtr time, so the game was already over. But still, great effort for them to dig deep, not go back into their shell and actually give the Eagles a tiny scare in the last 5 minutes.

I'm just reluctant to rest my laurels on "moral" victories. I don't think next season can be built off the back of honourable losses, but games that we do win.
Good commonsense post there SydneySainter :D Kudos to you Colleague !

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:41pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:29pm

Yeah,ok then.

Good commonsense post there SydneySainter :D Kudos to you Colleague !
Then lets hope that we can look back at this game and call it a 'Corner turning Victory'.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Moral victories not worth a pinch of rocking horse s***!!!!!

If we are being honest, Eagles had the game in the bag and decided to enter (the bye weekend a qtr early)!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
spert
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't a moral victory, it was a much better effort and we need to play with the desire we showed in the last quarter, but still it was a loss and there's a long way to go, and you wonder why we were playing so badly up till this and last week.

David-Lee
Club Player

This is what we are reduced to....pecking feverishly over a loss and rejoicing we have delicious morsels that prove all is not lost, we are spot on, we fought so well, got cheated by umps, if only we had another quarter ( we F@cking did...we had 3 of them), there's so much hope now, only positives from here on out....Grand Final 2022 for us baby, #Richo vindicated, #doomsayers eat sh!t#

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:53pm Moral victories not worth a pinch of rocking horse s***!!!!!

If we are being honest, Eagles had the game in the bag and decided to enter (the bye weekend a qtr early)!!!!!
“Moral victories” are indeed pretty worthless (in terms of gaining premiership points) However, the performance last night over in the West should NOT be discarded for the important part it can play in building a modicum of confidence/morale within the playing group. Hate the loss, but I see something to build upon in the performance.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)